New Broncos DC Wade Phillips: I was a lousy head coach, but I’m a pretty good defensive coordinator

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ad-coach-but-im-a-good-defensive-coordinator/

Wade Phillips: I was a lousy head coach, but I’m a pretty good defensive coordinator
Posted by Josh Alper on February 10, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwuwnzjjmzrhyzi5nwzhotlln2zhmdzlymm0otg3ndni.jpeg
Getty Images

The Broncos brought Wade Phillips back to Denver to run their defense this year and Phillips said he’s a better fit running the defense than he was in the last job he held with the team.

Phillips went 16-16 and made the playoffs once as the Broncos head coach in 1993 and 1994, one of the six times he’s served as a head coach on an interim or permanent basis for an NFL team. This will be his eighth stint as a defensive coordinator and Phillips said Tuesday that he thinks he’s a better fit in that job.

“I was a lousy head coach, but I am a pretty good defensive coordinator,” Phillips said, via Troy Renck of the Denver Post.

Phillips actually has an 82-64 record as a head coach and he’s led teams to the playoffs in five of his eight full seasons in the job. That’s not all that lousy, although the latter half of his self-assessment impacts the Broncos much more.

Phillips thinks he’ll have plenty to work with in Denver. He called it “a better situation than I have ever come into” and confirmed that he’ll run the 3-4 base defense he’s utilized throughout his “pretty good” career as a coordinator.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It very rare that a former team Head Coach goes back as a coordinator albeit many years ago. It's happen a very few times, Gunther Cunningham (Chiefs) and Marion Campbell (Falcons) who they even hired as Head Coach with the same result...Failure.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Two things struck me about this.

First, it takes some courage to say what he said and I can't recall another person in his position ever saying that. Hat's off to him for the open honest comment.

Second, it really drives home the point about what a "good ole boys club" the NFL has been over the years, and while it's changing there are still those elements. 6 times he's been at the helm.........wow.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Weren't Kubiak & Phillips together in Houston in their same roles?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Takes a lot of balls to say that, if other guys had the onus to do that the NFL wouldn't be the ego farm it is today.