New Aaron Donald, Cooper Kupp deals actually create 2022 cap space for the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

New Aaron Donald, Cooper Kupp deals actually create 2022 cap space for the Rams

The Rams gave significant new deals this week to defensive tackle Aaron Donald and receiver Cooper Kupp. Along the way, the Rams actually created cap space.

As noted by Field Yates of ESPN.com, the new contracts freed up $3.625 million in cap space for the Rams.

That’s what happens when a major piece of compensation becomes a signing bonus that, for both players, gets divided into five chunks. With only 20 percent of Donald’s $25 million to sign and 20 percent of Kupp’s $20 million to sign counting against the 2022 cap, that means $9 million in current charges — and $36 million later.

The Rams kicked the can, like many teams do. With the salary cap on the front end of a major growth spurt, any dollars deferred from 2022 into future years will have a reduced impact, since they’ll reflect a smaller percentage of the overall cap.

Still, the team’s approach to paying big money to multiple players has a practical impact. Of the 90 players currently on the roster, only 30 have 2022 cap numbers of $1 million or more. Unlike the Patriots of past years, who squeezed stars to take less and in turn had plenty of money for high-level backups with starting experience, the Rams risk reliance on young, cheap, and inexperienced players if starters are injured.

For example, if quarterback Matthew Stafford is injured, there’s no veteran backup with significant experience to step in and take over. Instead, it’s John Wolford, who has a cap number of $895,000 this year.

That puts more pressure on the front office to find capable, low-cost talent — and more pressure on the coaching staff to get those players ready to go — if/when starters are injured. It also puts more pressure of a training staff led by Reggie Scott to ensure that the team’s best players can play as many games as possible.

The risk is calculated. The risk is real. A rash of injuries will relegate the Rams to relying on reserves who aren’t as good as those with teams who have less of a gap in cap dollars between the starters and the understudies.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is little doubt that two unsung heroes for the Los Angeles Rams is Vice President of Football & Business Administration (Capologist) Tony Pastoors & vice president, sports medicine and performance Reggie Scott.
1654887809230.png

1654887836252.png

jap

Legend
Let's see if Reggie can help to bring back the 2020 version of Cam Akers ... or an even better version!

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
There is little doubt that two unsung heroes for the Los Angeles Rams is Vice President of Football & Business Administration (Capologist) Tony Pastoors & vice president, sports medicine and performance Reggie Scott.
View attachment 54515
View attachment 54516
I must admit, a few years ago when it seemed like we were in Cap Hell consistently, and I'd see teams like the Eagles always restructuring and creating room, I was very unhappy and unimpressed with Pastoors.

But boy, was I wrong. He's been an absolute staple in guiding us. I gladly eat crow.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
This is why I don't worry about the rams ability to keep players. We heard alot of talk, especially outside of the people who know the rams fairly well, who said they don't have the money to sign all these guys and even if they somehow pull it off. they will have no money for other players. I really think that other teams are taking a serious look into how they are doing their contracts, if only to make sure they are within league rules. Eddie debartelo got away with murder until his bonus tactics were discovered.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
This FO cap system doesn’t work if both:
A) the highly paid guys don’t stay healthy and continue to be elite; and
B) the mid/late round and UDFAs we get are not coached up properly and providing NFL level play (with some turning into very good players like Gaines, Fuller, Allen, etc.).

We saw it fail when Gurley got hurt, Goff didn’t ascend, etc. It’s not so easy that everyone else can copy it. Also requires great coaching, scouting, owner support, etc.

MarkyMark

Rams fan for Life!!
Name
Mark
Time to sign OBJ!! OMG!! Before last year I never thought I would hear myself saying that!!

PARAM

Hall of Fame
According to OTC we have 7.6 mil in cap space. And we stand to gain some more if some of the rookies make the 53 over some of the guys in the top 51. We should have plenty of money for OBJ and a FA signing after final cuts.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Time to sign OBJ!! OMG!! Before last year I never thought I would hear myself saying that!!
Don’t know when (If!) the Rams will eventually sign OBJ BUT I definitely hope he IS a Ram when the playoffs begin this coming season! Personally, I wish the Rams could (Money Permitting!) could sign him to a multi-year deal!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
If and when Rams sign OBJ it’s gonna require a multi-year deal.

And I’m fine with that because it works for both sides quite nicely.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If and when Rams sign OBJ it’s gonna require a multi-year deal.

And I’m fine with that because it works for both sides quite nicely.
I think, most likely, it's presented as a multi-year deal.. but one he can opt out of after this year.

He needs the time on the field to maximize his value before signing something long-term, imo.