New: 3 Head Coaches the St. Louis Rams May Target

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
X, I know you are pro-Spags and I respect your opinion/board.

So, with that, if you would prefer not to run this article I will understand.

If you leave it up, I have analyzed the three biggest name coaches that the Rams could potentially target and analyzed each if St. Louis decides not to retain coach Spagnuolo.

Interestingly, two of the three have ties to the front office in one manner or another.

Gruden, for example, worked with St. Louis COO Kevin Demoff in Tampa for multiple seasons.

Enjoy the read and thanks for your comments.

Please note, I am not suggesting necessarily that any of these would be targets or that they would be interested if targeted (however, I am not suggesting otherwise, either)

<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/993682-nfl-coaching-changes-3-big-name-coaches-the-st-louis-rams-may-target" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9936 ... may-target</a>

Anonymous

I don't get the value of that article. (Not saying it shouldn't be posted.) It';s just pure speculation using the obvious names any message board fan would come up with. Read from that perspective, it has little or no value.

It's just a blog speculating. IE---gossip. You can probably find half a dozen posts per day on the net that do better.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:
I don't get the value of that article. (Not saying it shouldn't be posted.) It';s just pure speculation using the obvious names any message board fan would come up with. Read from that perspective, it has little or no value.

It's just a blog speculating. IE---gossip. You can probably find half a dozen posts per day on the net that do better.

Thanks for the feedback, good or bad.

I spent 6 hours or so on it. I am not sure the Demoff-Gruden connection is common knowledge but hey- thanks for the read ZN... and have a Merry Christmas !

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Just my opinion from the flip side....

Gruden is a self-centered narcissist who the players won't respect.

Cowher is a womanizing scum bag who the Rams' PR organization will have to chase their tails covering for, as his life values couldn't be more opposite than Spags'. He's a failure waiting to happen in the StL community, where truth supposedly still has honor.

Fisher is probably the only candidate worthy, but he'll be courted by other more promising opportunities and will probably want total control, which I doubt Stan will give to anyone. Further, I'm not convinced Fisher would have done a better job over the last 3-years, given all the challenges this organization has faced.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
RealRamsFan said:
interference said:

Cowher is a womanizing scum bag who the Rams' PR organization will have to chase their tails covering for, as his life values couldn't be more opposite than Spags'. He's a failure waiting to happen in the StL community, where truth supposedly still has honor.

Fisher is probably the only candidate worthy, but he'll be courted by other more promising opportunities and will probably want total control, which I doubt Stan will give to anyone. Further, I'm not convinced Fisher would have done a better job over the last 3-years, given all the challenges this organization has faced.

I think winning is a better PR spin than keeping a coach with one of the worst win % in NFL history.......

My choice

1. Cowher
2. Fisher
3. Gruden
Well, we definitely differ on that one. Integrity is much more important than winning a sporting game. Cowher has none, just PR machines that cover up for him.

superfan24

Starter
interference said:
RealRamsFan said:
interference said:

I think winning is a better PR spin than keeping a coach with one of the worst win % in NFL history.......

My choice

1. Cowher
2. Fisher
3. Gruden
Well, we definitely differ on that one. Integrity is much more important than winning a sporting game. Cowher has none, just PR machines that cover up for him.

Don't like Cowher much either. Fisher or Gruden wouldn't be much better either imo

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Seriously, why would a top 5 coach want to come to Stl??? It is a small market team, in the midwest, with a lousy stadium and decreasing fan base. Not trying to bash on the city too hard here, but what is enticing about that? Granted, Holmgren went to Cleveland, but mostly because they gave him ass tons of $ and control of the city. The fact that Spags is the closest thing to an "A list" coach in 16 years in the Lou only strengthens this. Please don't anyone tell me that Vermeil was "A list" when he got hired either, I remember most people laughing at that move. That said, I do not think the Rams NEED a flashy, name brand coach to get it done......

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
Faceplant said:
Seriously, why would a top 5 coach want to come to Stl??? It is a small market team, in the midwest, with a lousy stadium and decreasing fan base. Not trying to bash on the city too hard here, but what is enticing about that? Granted, Holmgren went to Cleveland, but mostly because they gave him ass tons of $ and control of the city. The fact that Spags is the closest thing to an "A list" coach in 16 years in the Lou only strengthens this. Please don't anyone tell me that Vermeil was "A list" when he got hired either, I remember most people laughing at that move. That said, I do not think the Rams NEED a flashy, name brand coach to get it done......

Have you attended a game in the dome?

Money would be the answer to your first question...not saying Stan is going to do that but he has certainly has a lot of that doesn't he?

As for the last comment....Martz was the hottest coordinator in the game in 2000.

Mike Zimmer is my candidate..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Zimmer

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
jimitroutboy said:
Faceplant said:

Money would be the answer to your first question...not saying Stan is going to do that but he has certainly has a lot of that doesn't he?

As for the last comment....Martz was the hottest coordinator in the game in 2000.

Never been to a game, but have read from many (on here even) that the experience is sub par. We hired Martz in 99, not sure what your point is there. I am with you on Zimmer. I think he could be a good one.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
Faceplant said:
jimitroutboy said:
Faceplant said:

Never been to a game, but have read from many (on here even) that the experience is sub par. We hired Martz in 99, not sure what your point is there. I am with you on Zimmer. I think he could be a good one.

You said closest thing to an A list coach. I will give you that the hiring of Vermeil wasn't a slam dunk popular move but Martz was much hotter than Spags when he was hired.

The experience is great and the only problems are that it isn't a palace in the same sense that Dallas is and the product on the field is terrible. The Dome was a great place in the GSOT years and would be fine if the product was better. Demoff has done a great job with creating promotions to keep the fans busy while the team tanks.

Zimmer is used to getting things done without great resources in free agency. The defense has at times been dominant and they always keep their draft picks and develop them. This year one of the biggest failures has been getting rid of J. Williams, Hines, Baker in favor of a bunch of injury prone veterans on one year contracts. No matter who made that call it was totally against the long term health and progress of this franchise.

Williams is one of the best special teams players on the Bears right now.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
To add onto Gruden, Fisher and Cowher.

Would any or all want final personnel and draft authority. Because if they do I don't want any part of them. I am fairly certain that Gruden would, Cowher probably and Fisher possibly.

Gruden and Cowher really don't thrill me and each year that passes you have to start wondering if they are willling to return to the grind and give up the lives they have built off the field.

Fisher has several traits that intrigue me and the recent experience league wide with first time head coaches has not been positive.

But I believe that a new team president is going to be the person to pull the trigger on a new head coach and gm. If so I find it improbable that Fisher is still going to be on the board by the time the Rams get going in their search.

I think he will almost certainly be the new guy in Miaimi.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
jimitroutboy said:
Faceplant said:
jimitroutboy said:
Faceplant said:

You said closest thing to an A list coach. I will give you that the hiring of Vermeil wasn't a slam dunk popular move but Martz was much hotter than Spags when he was hired.

The experience is great and the only problems are that it isn't a palace in the same sense that Dallas is and the product on the field is terrible. The Dome was a great place in the GSOT years and would be fine if the product was better. Demoff has done a great job with creating promotions to keep the fans busy while the team tanks.

Zimmer is used to getting things done without great resources in free agency. The defense has at times been dominant and they always keep their draft picks and develop them. This year one of the biggest failures has been getting rid of J. Williams, Hines, Baker in favor of a bunch of injury prone veterans on one year contracts. No matter who made that call it was totally against the long term health and progress of this franchise.

Williams is one of the best special teams players on the Bears right now.

Fair enough, but he wasn't going to pass up the HC job in Stl. with all of the players that MADE him that hot. Jes sayin.

STL-Rams

Starter
To the above poster who said why St. Louis:

1. We are inside the top 20 metro areas in the U.S. population wise at almost 3 million. Many other markets are smaller in the NFL. We are middle market, not small market.

2. The fan base in not declining! Are you joking? Please say you are NOT serious.
This fan base has endured the WORST WINNING % IN THE LAST 5 YEARS IN NFL HISTORY!!!!!!! And is still reaching sellout status. Very few teams would equal that, especially considering the lease speculation, etc.

3. Money. Kroenke is the 3rd richest owner in the NFL. 2 when counting his wife. He can pay whatever he wants basically for the coach he would target.

4. Power. Offering the possible dual role: GM/HC. Not recommending it. I'm saying it could be very enticing.

5. Nowhere to go but up. I mean, look at St. Louis right now. Our team is awful. A coach coming in and even getting this team to 8-8 or 9-7 would probably win coach of the year and earn a statue under the arch right about now. A mediocre team would feel like the Super Bowl right now.

6. The dome you speak of. Yeah, that dome. The dome that was known as THE LOUDEST IN THE NFL during much of the GSOT. The dome that NFL teams accused of pumping in fake noise because the noise levels were insane. That dome that can create a ridiculous home field advantage.

7. Chance to work and build a tradition in a city largely without one NFL wise (outside of the GSOT)

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
The Dome's issue is the lease not the Dome itself.

Once it was built the rest of the league went on a construction spree prompted in large measure by the new stadiums in St. Louis and Baltimore.

It doesn't measure up to the opulence of Dallas or even Phoenix but if you have been to a game there you would know its very modern, very clean, sight lines are great, seats are comfortable and the food is good.

What it doesn't have doesn't have anything to do with football.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I saw a pic of Fisher just the other day. I assume it was recent,,,, anyway, Fish was sporting a sick mullet. Not Joe Dirt sick, but it was sssssickkkkk.

Thanks for sharing STL-Rams. I can see that you take pride in your work. You're fighting some preconceived beliefs with the BR. But I got a song for your Haters -

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_sJVi4FgtQ[/youtube]

STL-Rams

Starter
Selassie I said:
I saw a pic of Fisher just the other day. I assume it was recent,,,, anyway, Fish was sporting a sick mullet. Not Joe Dirt sick, but it was sssssickkkkk.

Thanks for sharing STL-Rams. I can see that you take pride in your work. You're fighting some preconceived beliefs with the BR. But I got a song for your Haters -

Thanks bruh. MUCH MUCH MUCH appreciate the kind words and I am working hard at this along with other work. I worked on that particular article for 2 or 3 hours last night and finished it up this morning between 5 and 8 AM.

Once again, much appreciated. Have a Merry Christmas...

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I would like none of those three names as our coach. I'd rather give Spags another year instead. Now throw some different names at me and I might agree but not those three. You see? :hehe:

StlSmitty

UDFA
Selassie I said:

Totally agree with STL-Rams. Actually the lease is what's going to make this all "work out". At first look a facility in the top 25% of the league seems unfair and unattainable but when you take into consideration that the St Louis lease is the second most "team friendly" in the league it puts things in a different light. Yes Mr. Kroenke can opt out but if he does he kills the "golden goose" ($25,000 rent per game plus tax breaks at Rams park). You can't turn the lights on in that building for $25,000. It is in his and St Louis' best interest to negotiate the improvments that keep the Rams here with the second best deal in the NFL in a very good (if not top 25%) facility.