Nelson Spruce looks to make impact as UDFA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...ing-to-make-impact-as-an-undrafted-free-agent

Nelson Spruce is still chasing his NFL dream. Somehow, it’s brought him back within a short drive of his hometown.

On Friday, the Los Angeles Rams completed their first day of rookie minicamp in Oxnard, less than 30 miles away from Westlake High. That’s where Spruce once pulled in 37 touchdowns and nearly 3,000 receiving yards, the bulk of which came over the course of two seasons. That was enough to earn him a scholarship at Colorado, where he became the Pac-12’s all-time leader in receptions.

Now, he’s back in Southern California, trying to earn a spot with a franchise that left town before he turned three.

“It’s kind of a crazy situation,” Spruce said.

Despite his college production, the 22-year-old had been left waiting after the NFL draft. Though he had prepared for the worst — his 4.69-second 40-yard dash didn’t turn any heads at the NFL combine — going undrafted was still disappointing. Thirty-three times over the course of three days, teams had decided to take a receiver. It was never him.

The Rams, however, had continuously showed the most interest. He kept in close touch with both offensive coordinator Rob Boras and receivers coach Mike Groh, and didn’t visit any other team for a private workout. And, as luck would have it, he had trained with top overall pick Jared Goff in advance of the combine.

“Any little advantage I can get, I’m going to take,” Spruce said. “I think that little chemistry we have is going to definitely pay off, especially to begin with.”

Of course, Goff has plenty of other rookie receivers to choose from too. There are the two draft picks, South Carolina’s Pharoh Cooper (No. 117) and Southern Mississippi’s Michael Thomas (No. 206). There are the two other signees, Southeast Missouri State’s Paul McRoberts and Tennessee’s Marquez North.

To earn himself a spot, Spruce will have to adjust to playing in the slot, after spending most of his career lining up out wide. He’ll also have to learn how to become a contributor on special teams, particularly in kick and punt return coverage.

He’s looking forward to the challenge: “I’m glad I ended up here.”

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He reminds me of Greg Salas. I loved me some Salas and that worked out like a bucket of dung. Spruce appears to be a better route runner, but not as physical as Salas. Also, Who knows what happens in Salas' career if he didn't break his leg. I'm pulling hard for him, he's pretty much the same size as Cooper.