Needs Vs. Wants

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I made the needs list according to my beleived impact as to if we do not find players who can fill the roles. Some might find my needs list a bit shocking. The list is incomplete being we don't know who all will be retained in free agency.

We need...

#1 Back up QB- Sam has missed substantial time in 2 of his 4 seasons. I may be punching myself in the face next year if we don'ta get a QB capable of carrying our team in place of Sam. I'm good with a second round QB. The value is too low at the top of the draft a QB. It's by far the most important posiition in football and we cannot neglect it this year being our QB prone to injury.

#2 OG-
This is assuming we retain Saffold, Barrette Jones comes back ready, and Long does too. This is subject to change. The bottom line is we play in the NFCW and we need to at least neutralize NFCW OL's. The guards have been the most subject to getting pushed back without Saffold playing RG. I suspect Jones will step in at center. I do belive Wells and Dahl will be cut.

#3- OT

This probably wouldn't have been this high it JL didn't suffer an ACL injury. Being he did we may need Saffold to step in who is also injury prone. We gotta keep this position stable. It could be bumped up to #2 or even #1 if Saffold leaves. (This is #2 if Saffold leaves.)

#4 Number 1 WR. This is a need in my mind but WR as a whole has been OK enough to warrant this placing.

#5- CB

We need someone better than Brandon McGee at #3 CB. I placed this at a higher priority than center.

WANTS

#1 Big Time WR-
When NFCW teams stack the box and dare us to pass, we just gotta have someone make them pay on the outside! I don't beleive any of our WR's can consistently do that.

#2 Back Up QB-
Yes I had to do it again. If Sam never misses a another game then I wouldn't put this as this high of a need or want. Bottom line is I think we will be facing a similiar problem next year and I don't wanna miss the playoffs because our back up can't carry the load.

#3 OT
This is in the same boat as QB. If JL never gets hurt then I this isn't near the issue. It's more of an insourance policy.

#4 OG-
I envy the Niners OL very much... ugh

#5 FS-
I really miss having a ball hawk in the FS position. Last one we had was OJ Atogwe and we never replaced. I WANT this more than a number 3 CB, but think we need a number 3 CB more. I think McCleod doing OK.

Thanks guys! Have at it...

Alan

Legend
My thoughts about our needs in order of precedence:
OT
FS
CB
WR, OG, OLB (same priority in my mind)

RFIP

#1 need is a stud wr
#2 need is FS but I want Byrd here, no more rookies in secondary for me.
#3 need is OL help - I put this third because Fisher never drafts them high and Bou is a great OL coach who has made chicken soup out of, well, you know..
#4 need is cb

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Ahem.......*cough cough*.......#1 is a free safety. (This is one of the reasons we don't press as much as we need to.......as the season went on we got better but an upgrade is needed for the entire defense to step forward......). But there are no free safeties worthy of a top 10 pick.
Then offensive line (2 OT and 2 Guards) whether in FA or the draft.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting. I think we could leave our defense the way it is and be fine. We play off so far simply by design. Even if we had an awesome FS I think we'd still play off. We've done it TWO years in a row now. No reason to think that's gonna change...

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Interesting. I think we could leave our defense the way it is and be fine. We play off so far simply by design. Even if we had an awesome FS I think we'd still play off. We've done it TWO years in a row now. No reason to think that's gonna change...

I disagree. We do play off by design but it's because of our defientcies, rather than scheme. Our FS takes too long to "read" his keys thus leaving our corners "by themselves". And we give cushions, based on whether or not there might be options that could "regularly" attack the middle of field (SF - because of Davis, and AZ....and I don't have any reason other than we can't cover Fitz and Floyd....). But against other WR combos we play much tighter allowing our secondary in position to make a play on a ball, thrown quickly to avoid our rush. But have someone who understands the position would allow us to adjust our coverages to take advantage of our pass rush much, much more.

V3

Hall of Fame
My needs/wants (for me, they're one and the same this year):

1) FS- we only have one starting caliber S and that's McD and he's a SS
2) (very close second) CB- Finnegan should be let go and I have no idea what to expect from Jenkins. Johnson is the only one I trust
3) OG- Williams was just plain bad and I don't know if Saffold is coming back.
4) WR- Bailey and Austin both flashed. Givens regressed and Quick......yup. We need a true #1 on this team. We currently don't have one and I don't think Quick will develop into one. I prefer a big physical WR to go against Seattle's big and physical DBs
5) OT- Insurance for Long
6) QB - QB is at the bottom because if you have to depend on your backup for an extended period of time, your season is probably not going to go well- especially in the NFC West. If you want a QB to possibly replace Bradford then QB should probably be higher.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I disagree. We do play off by design but it's because of our defientcies, rather than scheme. Our FS takes too long to "read" his keys thus leaving our corners "by themselves". And we give cushions, based on whether or not there might be options that could "regularly" attack the middle of field (SF - because of Davis, and AZ....and I don't have any reason other than we can't cover Fitz and Floyd....). But against other WR combos we play much tighter allowing our secondary in position to make a play on a ball, thrown quickly to avoid our rush. But have someone who understands the position would allow us to adjust our coverages to take advantage of our pass rush much, much more.

That's good logic.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Ahem.......*cough cough*.......#1 is a free safety. (This is one of the reasons we don't press as much as we need to.......as the season went on we got better but an upgrade is needed for the entire defense to step forward......). But there are no free safeties worthy of a top 10 pick.
Then offensive line (2 OT and 2 Guards) whether in FA or the draft.
This. oh so this.

We need a free safety more than anything else on this team. And in that regard I'm not necessarily referring to a ball hawk, but rather someone who is great in zone coverage and decent at supporting the run. This would allow the corners to play much tighter.

After that a corner in the first round to replace Finnegan. I like Gilbert and Clinton-Dix myself. I agree that the safety will likely be drafted later.

Then they just need to draft for the offensive line wherever possible which they will be supplementing through free agency. Guard and tackle.

Anything else is a want for me. If Bradford goes down again it'll be ugly no matter who backs him up. Another year with Clemens is fine with me. And another WR on the quest for the next Calvin Johnson just isn't as important as keeping Sam upright and the running game. A DT that can provide push up the middle? A want more than a need. An outside linebacker? Want. Another DE as good as Quinn? Want.

But you get a good free safety and corner and you might improve so much that you see them take more chances with no huddle on offense.