Needs at WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
So, it looks like the only guys guaranteed back are: Britt, Tavon and Marquez.

Ouch.

We need at least two more WRs this offseason to fill out the squad.

Do we look in FA for someone? Do we draft?

An Alshon Jeffrey or a Reuben Randle might be a nice outside receiver to grab for a little money in FA allowing us flexibility going into the draft on when and how we pick up a WR there.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I don't have a problem making a run at Jeffrey if available (Bears can still resign him or franchise tag)...he is going to get big bucks if he hits FA. Randle would be cheaper but nowhere as good...a decent pick-up but one I would be wary of overpaying. Rams will likely draft a WR even if they get one in FA...though if they get a FA expect it to be 3rd round or so. If they do not get someone solid in FA then think a WR could come in first 3 picks.

Warning always give, even really good WR take a year or two to develop. I think there are about 10 guys who have ever gotten over 750yards their first year at WR, we are much more likely to get a Watkins (who is panning out for Bills) than to get a Beckham.....(presuming the pick isn't a bust)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not sure even Marquez makes the 53 in 2016. I'm guessing 3 potential new WR's, although our own IR'd Isaiah Ferguson and Marquez will put up a fight. I'm in favor of 2 from free agency and 1 from the draft. jmo.

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
Not sure even Marquez makes the 53 in 2016. I'm guessing 3 potential new WR's, although our own IR'd Isaiah Ferguson and Marquez will put up a fight. I'm in favor of 2 from free agency and 1 from the draft. jmo.

I would guess Marquez makes it. Made some very visible improvements as the year went on, specifically with his route running.

Athos

Legend
Marquez is a special teams ace. He's going nowhere.

He showed solid route running but like everyone else, held back by poor QBing.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't have a problem making a run at Jeffrey if available (Bears can still resign him or franchise tag)...he is going to get big bucks if he hits FA.

Good point on Jeffrey. Yes, Randle would be the one to get at a reasonable price.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Good point on Jeffrey. Yes, Randle would be the one to get at a reasonable price.

The only thing about Randle is I do not see him being a #1 guy - not sure he has peaked yet, but I tend to see him as more of a inconsistent #2 guy (will have games he looks like a good #1 guy and then will have games you swear he should be demoted to #4). If we got him I am not sure where WR falls in the draft......

Seen Randle estimated as a 6-7mil yr guy....depending on source.

good write up in the possible free agents in WR

http://overthecap.com/2016-nfl-free-agency-wide-receiver-overview/

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Draft 2...Just like last year...and keep 3 or 4....Not sure what everyone sees in Marquez as a wr...well, out of these 6 or 8 guys, we should be able to get two types...possession and/or speed..
Possession
  1. Treadwell
  2. Thomas
  3. Doctson
I wouldn't mind 2 of these guys....but of course settle for one..
Speed
  1. Coleman
  2. Fuller
  3. Boyd
I also need some 1st year production...not otherworldly numbers....but 30-40 catches..outta a rookie...yeah that's what I expect...so I need some top college type...high football IQ types...so, I'm looking at the guys from ND, Pit, an Ohio State first...bias, a little. Sue me..

Sleepers
  1. Corey Davis (Western Mich)
  2. D. Williams (Auburn) Snisher loves Auburn guys
  3. Robinson (Florida)

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Draft 2...Just like last year...and keep 3 or 4....Not sure what everyone sees in Marquez as a wr...well, out of these 6 or 8 guys, we should be able to get two types...possession and/or speed..
Possession
  1. Treadwell
  2. Thomas
  3. Doctson
Speed
  1. Coleman
  2. Fuller
  3. Boyd
I also need some 1st year production...not otherworldly numbers....but 30-40 catches..outta a rookie...yeah that's what I expect...so I need some top college type...high football IQ types...so, I'm looking at the guys from ND, Pit, an Ohio State first...bias, a little. Sue me..

Sleepers
  3. Robinson (Florida)

If we're drafting two then I want Fuller and Boyd. Both have speed, hands, and run good routes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
First off, the Bears have to be insane to let Jeffery walk so it is very doubtful. But if for whatever reason he is a FA there is no reason the Rams should not be in the mix to sign him. He would immediately upgrade this offense for whomever is playing QB. Instant impact to the passing game. Then just get a WR in the draft like Boyd and maybe a TE and you're in business. I still predict Kearse will be their target, since he is young and just coming into his own, Seattle probably won't be able to sign him, and it hurts a division rival.

But even if the WRs don't turn out well in terms of who is allowed to hit FA there will be some good TEs on the market too. Cook will be a cap cut, and there will be some immediate upgrades there to improve our passing game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still predict Kearse will be their target, since he is young and just coming into his own, Seattle probably won't be able to sign him, and it hurts a division rival.

I don't really see it hurting Seattle. I'd rather have Marvin Jones, personally.
(Although, I'd love if we could add Pierre Garcon if the Redskins release him or trade for Markus Wheaton from the Steelers)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Possession
  1. Treadwell
  2. Thomas
  3. Doctson
Speed
  1. Coleman
  2. Fuller
  3. Boyd

Sleepers
  3. Robinson (Florida)

Tyler Boyd is more of a possession guy than a speed guy.(but I'm a huge fan of him as well) And DeMarcus Robinson (from UF) is a turd.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sign Boldin
Draft Treadwell
Keep Britt, tavon, and Marquez

BOOM!!

I don't think there's any way Treadwell lasts to 15 unless there are medical complications. In this particular year there are a lot of WRs but not a lot of guys at the top so he'll almost certainly go top 10.

Also I effin hate Boldin. If he played for us he'd be flagged for OPI on every other pass he caught, no thanks.

Memphis Ram

Legend
With the exception of Alshon Jeffrey, I'd say most of the free agents available would be the same guys most here would be looking to replace if they were already on the team.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well it sure sounded like Fisher would at least consider giving Quick a chance but man how much do you trust that guy to progress in a new offense? Love the heart and dedication and I think he showed he could take a hit with that flip in the SF game but damn we need a stud out there.

There is a little talent coming onto the market but I don't see how Jefferies could be one of them. Garcon is interesting big bodied guy who can play physical and might be a good fit. Kearse could be another interesting addition definitely a player and would be an upgrade.

Treadwell looked dominant from the little I watched and I agree that he will not be around when we pick. Is there anyone else that good coming out this year?

I sure wish the draft was in March instead of May, that long lay off and CBA making it impossibly to coach anyone in the offseason just sucks.