Need Unemployment Advice In Mo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
As some of you know, my employer was bought out by a large corporation. It's been a month, and on Monday, they brought in their own guy. I was the manager of this store for over two years. I was very successful, but I guess that didn't matter. My question. If I quit, can I get unemployment? They demoted me and took pay from me.

PhxRam

Sorry to hear about that Juggs..

Why quit? certainly you can get yourself fired. Make a game of it and see how much crap you can get away with before they let you go.

Disclaimer: I am a trouble maker and tend not to give very good advice.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Most states will refuse unemployment if you leave on your own volition (quit) or get fired for theft.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
As some of you know, my employer was bought out by a large corporation. It's been a month, and on Monday, they brought in their own guy. I was the manager of this store for over two years. I was very successful, but I guess that didn't matter. My question. If I quit, can I get unemployment? They demoted me and took pay from me.
Sorry to hear that Juggs. I don't know much about unemployment benefits, though I know that usually you have to be fired in order to get them. I hope things turn around for you.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I read online and it said that a forcible job change is considered a reason to quit. Also a loss in pay. The bull shit is that I didn't deserve it. Out of the 4 stores that they purchased, I have, by far the best numbers and most solid crew. They keep trying to stroke my ego saying "we can see how valuable you are, that why we want to keep you on, with his help, you will be one of the best in this company."....give me a fucking break. There is a factory hiring that I know pays well, I have a buddy there, I think I'm going to see if I can get on

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well FWIW I'd ask the employment office for advice on if you have to take the demotion and whether you are eligible to quit. I contested a number of UI claims over the years and a quit always worked to DQ an applicant except when I offered employment other than what he'd been hired for. ALL MO btw
If you get yourself dismissed for cause it will cost you a few weeks DQ so I wouldn't do that ,besides your work record and recommendations would then have a big hole in them. The best way to find a job is to have one,so my advice is to hang onto that one ,keep a good attitude as best you can and keep looking ,give ample notice ,DON'T burn your bridges man, as much as you may want to,you never know when you may need to cross them again.

Don't rule out opening your own store either or partnering with someone in competition with these people, my experience is that big companies give shitty service, the company that bought me out is still renting my building so no one starts operating out of it. When the lease is up if they say they are going to move ,I plan on telling them go ahead but don't quit paying the rent ,cuz some one else will be here to compete with you shortly after you leave,the very last thing they want is a small company start up in a community where the new guy is a known commodity and can give better service.

Are there other stores close

A55VA6

Legend
I believe if you quit or get fired for behavioral reasons you will not be able to get unemployment.. so I wouldn't go that route. Tough situation, it sucks man.. I was in the same boat a couple years ago and I quit and I couldn't get unemployment.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Agreed with the don't leave a job without a job! Yes the factory is hiring buy what I'd they decide your qualifications don't fit and you get denied unemployment at that point your in a world of hurt

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Juggs if you quit you won't be eligible for unemployment, so sit tight.

They aren't going to want can you because they will need you for a bit. But I'd get the resume brushed up and start looking now. In a few months when the guy they brought in is acclimated they may let you go.

What was the demotion? Was it to a sales position? If so if you are closing deals no way they touch you, that's a fact.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Not from MO but I think the same rules apply regarding quitting, don't quit. Try to line another job up if you can't take it and want to quit, make sure it's for sure though.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If you already have another job in mind just apply for it. That way if you get hired you can quit, and if not you still have a job.

Unless you're getting paid less than you would on unemployment and need the money to live, I would avoid that route. It doesn't last forever and its easier to find a job when you have a job.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It is generally easier to get a job if you already have one. There are various reasons - most of them pretty obvious. As to the unemployment issue - you should call up your local office and ask them. In some cases, a forced pay cut, a change in ownership, and/or forced position change is sometimes grounds for being able to quit and file for unemployment. But I would simply call them up and explain your situation in detail. Be straight up with them because if your claim is challenged, they will be getting info from both sides.

Your best option IMO is to continue to do your job while looking for something better. That way you actually can be a bit choosier. You may be surprised at what jobs are out there with a little looking and also how many jobs that on face value don't seem to be a fit until you look into them a bit more. Don't confine yourself and narrow your options.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Don't make a bad situation worse by tarnishing your reputation.

I'm with 503, if this situation isn't right for you, it's better to look while you have a job. It should benefit your next move.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Another thing you may play is that if you can find a job that is acceptable or better than what they are trying to do with your position, you can simply tell them that what they are doing is unacceptable and you cannot stay there if they don't reinstate you as you were before. Then if they don't buckle - you have that other job to go to.

I have used that in the past but I will say that I also kept looking for other jobs. I didn't like the idea that a new owner would come in and dick with me like that. They were trying to pay me the same but pull my insurance and most of my vacation. I lined up another job, even though I didn't want it, and politely told them to either reinstate my bennies or I was going to have to move on. They did but a month later I took a better job and didn't think twice about leaving a company that I felt confident would try to jerk me around at their next opportunity. They acted all put out by my leaving but I knew they would do it to me in a heart beat if they found someone they liked better. Turn about is fair play and it sure felt good being the one in the power position.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
My problem is this. I feel like I'm getting a bleeding stomach. The stress that has been put on me over the last month is beyond what anyone should deal with. I feel like I'm gonna stroke out.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I feel like I need to do something. I've had headaches consistently

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Suck it up bud, do what you can about what you can and laugh the rest of it off.

EVERY adverse situation you ever face in your life is a trial AND an opportunity, seize the opportunity,there is always a market for good people ALWAYS

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - gotta echo what Thor said. Stressing over what you can't change is unhealthy. Instead, put your energy toward finding that upside. It's there.