NBA Finals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'll start off by saying...........WTF JR Smith??? This will go down as one of the biggest blunders on a basketball court. The only bigger one I can think of was Chris Webber's time out call in the College National Championship game. I can't think of a worse play in the NBA, can anyone else???. Even accidentally scoring on your own goal isn't as bad as this.

Entertaining first game and the Cavs let the Warriors know they aren't going to roll over.

LeBron scores 51, gets 8 rebounds and 8 assists and Smith flushed it down the toilet.

And the overturned call at the end was criminal. It was clearly charging and the refs blew the call by reversing it.

This looks like it might be different from what was expected. The Warriors got 2 critical lucky breaks in regulation to get the game tied and have it stay tied.

Game 2 will hopefully go to the Cavs. I really want to see CLE take this series.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't say fixed. But the blocking/charging call reinforced my long held belief that the NBA needs to post a ref right under each basket and let them make the call.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I can't say fixed. But the blocking/charging call reinforced my long held belief that the NBA needs to post a ref right under each basket and let them make the call.
Les the refs should have gotten the call correct the first time. Evidence from the replay shows LeBron clearly leaned into Durant's path. Durant turned his body inside to avoid LeBron and the other defender. Therefore, LeBron initiated the contact with Durant and the referees took the morally correct and accurate action to reverse the call.

Complain all you want, the refs got it right on the replay (I have a hunch you will). :hiding:

I don't like either team and don't care who wins. As someone who sees players get away with violations every play (3 or more steps on layups), I am pleased the refs got something right.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
JR Smith has to be the dumbest player in the NBA... and what's worse is... he doesn't care at all about his team or doing what it takes to win. He's out there to cash checks.

That was beyond pathetic.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Les the refs should have gotten the call correct the first time. Evidence from the replay shows LeBron clearly leaned into Durant's path. Durant turned his body inside to avoid LeBron and the other defender. Therefore, LeBron initiated the contact with Durant and the referees took the morally correct and accurate action to reverse the call.

Complain all you want, the refs got it right on the replay (I have a hunch you will). :hiding:

I don't like either team and don't care who wins. As someone who sees players get away with violations every play (3 or more steps on layups), I am pleased the refs got something right.

He was out of the area called the restricted zone and both feet were planted so it should have been charging. He got directly in front of Durant to draw the charge IMO.

You're right there are violations on each play.

In fact on the missed free throw two Warriors committed a Free Throw Violation and it was blatant enough that they both had BOTH of their feet in the paint. A few people have commented on that. Lots of times players fudge but that was WAY past a little fudge. I noticed it as it happened, easily, it was that clear and obvious.

Also Durant was holding Tristan Thompson after the ball left Hill's hand so blatantly I thought the refs were going to call that.

I've listened to and read some talking heads that are saying Hill should shoulder part of the blame for missing the shot and that's just stupid. Players miss shots all the time, and the Cavs got the rebound anyway. It's a pointless point.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Just watch this clip to know that the NBA is never gonna be the same

Remember a team like the Nuggets back in the day? They had a stacked roster with Alex English?

what about the 87 Mavs?? Mark Aguirre, Detlef, Perkins, Ronaldo Blackmon, Roy Tarpley,Derek freakin Harper - that mav team came 3rd in the pacific but today that 87 Mavs team would be 8x NBA champs

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x2N3qm7aW8M

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Remember a team like the Nuggets back in the day? They had a stacked roster with Alex English?

what about the 87 Mavs?? Mark Aguirre, Detlef, Perkins, Ronaldo Blackmon, Roy Tarpley,Derek freakin Harper - that mav team came 3rd in the pacific but today that 87 Mavs team would be 8x NBA champs

I remember ALL of those teams and players.

I've met Detlef, when he played in Indy for the Pacers. His voice is like a fucking bullhorn, I bet he got kicked out of the library a lot.

And dude put down the bong that Mavs team would win 50 games at best in this NBA hahaha.

Yaknow what those Mavs and Nuggets teams back then were really, really good at..............

Never beating the Lakers to advance. :whistle:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

How about that Pistons Team that Jordan had to beat to get to the finals? Aguirre, Dumars, Thomas, Vinnie microwave Johnson, Bill Laimbeer etc

fearsomefour

Legend
JR Smith has to be the dumbest player in the NBA... and what's worse is... he doesn't care at all about his team or doing what it takes to win. He's out there to cash checks.

That was beyond pathetic.
Either too much of a pot head, game was fixed or he is very dumb.
Knowing what we do of both JR and the NBA all are possible.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Either too much of a pot head, game was fixed or he is very dumb.
Knowing what we do of both JR and the NBA all are possible.

My Knick fan friend told me today that he did the same stupid shit when he played there.

I think it's the dumb option. LOL

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
he is very dumb.

I think it's the dumb option. LOL

Watch the vid of him talking to LeBron. He says "I thought we were up".

Incredible. I've never heard of a player not knowing the score in ANY game in ANY sport.

Another fuck-up by the refs, Lebron called time with a couple of seconds to go.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watch the vid of him talking to LeBron. He says "I thought we were up".

Incredible. I've never heard of a layer not knowing the score in ANY game in ANY sport.

Another freak-up by the refs, Lebron called time with a couple of seconds to go.
Not for nothing, but I put this solely on Lue.
You have 1 job.... Coach the effing team
There is 4+ seconds left, and Hill is average FT shooter. You've got to have the team prepared for what it scenarios. No reason the Cleveland 5 don't all unequivocally know that if he misses the 2nd, and they get rebound to immediately take time out.
Not excusing JR, he is a dope, and a malcontent to boot. All the more reason a coach would make sure he knows exactly what to do...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Not for nothing, but I put this solely on Lue.
You have 1 job.... Coach the effing team
There is 4+ seconds left, and Hill is average FT shooter. You've got to have the team prepared for what it scenarios. No reason the Cleveland 5 don't all unequivocally know that if he misses the 2nd, and they get rebound to immediately take time out.
Not excusing JR, he is a dope, and a malcontent to boot. All the more reason a coach would make sure he knows exactly what to do...

Good and fair point.

Hill is actually a pretty good shooter, 80% from the line, but in that situation you are right............a coach should have "what to do's" for them getting the rebound or your team getting it. He could have shouted instructions from the bench.

Also LeBron was calling for the ball, he should have given it to him regardless of what he thought the score was.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good and fair point.

Hill is actually a pretty good shooter, 80% from the line, but in that situation you are right............a coach should have "what to do's" for them getting the rebound or your team getting it. He could have shouted instructions from the bench.

Also LeBron was calling for the ball, he should have given it to him regardless of what he thought the score was.
No doubt. 4 seconds is an eternity. After a TO they could have gotten 23 the ball
If Lebron got the ball there, he could have shot it left handed, his back to the basket, eyes closed from mid-court and it would have gone in.
They had the time out to use, its crazy that they weren't prepared to use it.
Dang, they played such a great game and should have won. I'm hoping that this is motivation for them to know that they can play with GS, although I know some have written the Cavs off now, that this broke them

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If Lebron got the ball there, he could have shot it left handed, his back to the basket, eyes closed from mid-court and it would have gone in.

I think he would have driven to the basket versus an outside shot, he would have had time to do that if Smith passed him the ball right away.

Wasted opportunity. I don't think this broke the Cavs for the series but it did for the OT period. They were really dejected and GS was amped up after having a loss turned into a win from a huge mistake.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
JR thought the dude would hit his free throws and win the game

Hit your free throws and protect JR

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...d-two-missed-infractions-final-seconds-game-1

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The NBA's "Last Two Minute Report" for Game 1 of the Finals on Thursday revealed two infractions that should have been called on Golden State's Draymond Green in the waning seconds of regulation ahead of the Warriors' 124-114 overtime win.

The league said Green committed a lane violation by entering into the paint to establish rebounding position prior to George Hill releasing the second of two free throw attempts with 4.7 seconds remaining.

Hill missed the shot, leading to a wild sequence in which JR Smith grabbed the offensive rebound and dribbled out past the 3-point line with the score tied 107-107 rather than looking to score before the clock expired.

Had the lane violation been called, Hill would have been awarded another attempt to make the free throw.

The league also said Green should have been called for a foul with 12.1 seconds to go for grabbing LeBron James' arm and affecting his freedom of movement. That contact preceded James' pass to Hill that led to Klay Thompson fouling the Cavs point guard and putting him on the line.

The Cavs were in the bonus at the time, meaning if the foul on Green was called, James -- and not Hill -- would have been the one attempting two free throws with the Cavs down 107-106.

James shot 10-for-11 from the free throw line in the defeat.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I appreciate that the NBA puts out this report but at some point the refs have to knock off the "let them play" bullshit because not calling blatant and obvious fouls isn't good for the sport and starts conspiracy theories. It's dumb to call games one way in the regular season and then loosen up in the playoffs. And in that game the Warriors were grabbing a lot.

Some years back Kobe Bryant was getting roughed up in a playoff game and grabbed and held by his jersey like crazy, and the refs were flat out ignoring it. He made several comments to them but nothing happened. It was so bad that his jersey got stretched a bit out of shape and he showed that to the ref and said something to him I think it was "call the damn fouls" probably. You could see the fabric stretched and bunched in a wad LOL. He was literally pointing to his jersey and jawing at the ref.

It was one of the most extreme examples of let them play I had seen since the Pistons "Bad Boys" days. The Celtics back then had a rep too.