Nassib is first active NFL player to announce he is gay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Maybe this thread will end up getting locked, but IMHO this subject needn't be "controversial." Finally, an active NFL player announces he is gay.

A link to Nassib's announcement is below. At first glance, Nassib looks like he handled it quite well. Kinda had a matter-of-fact "no big deal" attitude about it. Made it clear he wasn't looking for attention, he was just trying to do the right thing and be authentic. And donating 100k to the anti-suicide group was an admirable move.

The Rams were the first team to sign an African American player (Kenny Washington) back in 1946. Now of course nobody gives a crap about the color of a player's skin.

Here's hoping that Nassib's announcement helps pave the way for a time when players won't have to "hide" their sexual orientation--because no one really cares about it anymore.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1407095401287589892?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1407113984323506176%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2021%2F06%2F21%2Fus%2Fnfl-carl-nassib-gay-spt%2Findex.html

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I like how he announced it. And giving the cash to the suicide hotline folks too. Seems like a classy dude and I hope he's ready to lead the parade of it all.

Oh and glad it was the Raiders. Because you know Gruden's annoyed by it and making that face... :ROFLMAO:

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
The way he just straight up said "I'm gay" made me laugh a lil. I was expecting "homosexual" but either way kudos to him.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've worked my whole life with gay men and lesbian women and never really gave it much of a thought. As long as they do their job I could care less. I had one very beautiful woman working for me that was a very open lesbian. Actually made it very easy to work with her because I knew there was no chance of ever crossing that line between employer and employee. She was extremely good at her job doing all the various accounting duties for all my businesses. She was one of my highest-paid employees and earned every penny.

At some point, we all need to be able to get beyond seeing people for their differences rather than appreciating their value. I've faced my share of discrimination and it was a major reason I left a very well-paying career with Standard and Poors to be self-employed. It was the best thing I ever did.

It's one of the reasons my son came to be with me. His mother decided she wanted to be strictly a lesbian and her partner didn't want her boy as part of the relationship ( no different than many men who don't want to raise another man's child). They zoom chat once or twice a month.

As far as playing football I don't see how it matters at all.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The Trevor Project does AMAZING work. What a way to put it out there.

Good on him for ending this thing. We’ve had active NFL players that were gay since at least the 60s if not from the very beginning. Carl Nassib will only be nominally the first gay player, but I’m pretty sure most of us are only gonna care about his play.

It’s 2021. Let people live and focus on what’s important…THE RAMS WINNING THE SUPER BOWL!!!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to believe that with how far we've come as a society in regards to acceptance, that the fear of being out still tortures these men and women. Good on you Carl, hope you're right and that "coming out videos" are just common.

jjab360

Legend
Good for him, let's just hope the NFL media doesn't give him the Michael Sam treatment now...

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Couldn't care either way. Used to play sports with gay teammates, and it was never an issue. Perform on the field, and nobody ever cared.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I'm happy it's finally happened. Hopefully it leads to more players feeling open. It maybe will inspire younger players to be themselves. I'm amongst the group who couldn't care less. I played HS football with a gay guy. We all knew he was gay, no one gave a shit. He didn't come out tol after we graduated, but we still didn't care.

Good for him for donating. I dont know much about the Trevor project or the LGB community. But, I know they struggle mentally like the rest of us, so good to know there is help.

Now, back to football.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Couldn't care either way. Used to play sports with gay teammates, and it was never an issue. Perform on the field, and nobody ever cared.
It was the same thing when I was in the military.
Nobody gave a damn as long as you were pulling your weight and doing your part in the mission.

I do want to take this opportunity to admit something about myself;

I have a female body fetish.

Don't judge me!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As a transwoman, I'm proud of Carl. He didn't make it a big deal, and donating a fair bit of money to a charity that helps at-risk LGBT youth is all class.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Proud of him, glad he can be himself, and it's wonderful to have more representation in sports. Sports are for everybody, and it can be intimidating when there's nobody else. More representation, especially LGBTQ+ representation is important, in sports, entertainment, everything. Speaking with friends who are underrepresented (basically everyone other than straight white guys) really helped me understand how important it is to see others like them in high achieving places.

fearsomefour

Legend
People who are LGBTQ, family, friends, allies, me. It's 2021 man, it's time to be better. You didn't need to say anything.
That’s my point.
Who in this day and age would care?
We are on the same side of this.
But, I have no interest in shutting down convo or virtue signaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.