NASCAR Therapy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
As some of you know, my Mom passed away a couple of of weeks ago. She has always been a huge NASCAR fan and reared us kids in the same fashion. With her passing, my sister was reluctant to use a fantastic hospitality package from a coffee company for this past weekend in Charlotte for the 600. My dad and I managed to talk her into going with friends. This package was a sweet deal that included 4 free suite tickets, pit passes, garage passes, passes up front to a pre-race ZZ Top concert, passes for driver introductions, free shuttle to and from track and free food and drinks, yeah FREE BEER! This also included a ride in the truck with one of the drivers that is a part of pre-race driver intros. My sister declined to do this but a friend that went with her did. In the suite, a pool was started for prize money and my sister drew a driver.

I call my sister the afternoon of the race and we speak briefly before she tells me she has walked up on my Mom's favorite driver's car. She says she has to go because she wants to get a picture of the car.
I call her later during the National Anthem ( a tradition of mine with the intent of teaching her to cut her dang ringer off at times like these) and of course she has to answer since her ringer is ON. After a few moments of listening together, she can finally cuss me out for doing it to her again. At this time, she tells me that she has randomly drawn my Mom's favorite driver in the pool. She also tells me that the driver her friend was randomly selected to ride with was also my Mom's favorite driver.

The 600 is the longest race of the season for NASCAR and many drivers are comers and goers throughout the day and night. My Mom's favorite driver starts near the front, leads momentarily, then fades to the middle of the pack to remain unnoticed for most of the race. In the closing laps, things happen to frontrunners like they almost always do in this race like engine failure, loose wheels, blown tires, etc. Fuel becomes an issue for many and with a handful of laps remaining, my Mom's driver finds himself in the lead once again. This would be somewhat unremarkable because he is a talented driver and has won many times before but this season he has nothing but bad luck and really been less than very competitive.

As the checkered flag waves, I find myself crying like a baby because indeed my Mom's favorite driver, Carl Edwards, has just won the race. The stars all lined up for him on this night and I can't help but think he had a divine co- pilot along for the ride. I know winning this race is on all driver's bucket list and a monumental victory in their careers but for me, my sister, and my Dad, it was so much more. Thanks Carl Edwards!