My Top 12 RB Prospects (and when I’d take them)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I start with this premise that I believe most will agree with: the Rams need to take a RB in this year’s draft. Our current depth chart is the enigmatic Cam Akers, who is starting the final year of his rookie deal, Kyren Williams, and Ronnie Rivers. That’s not enough, in my opinion, for the short or long term.

This year’s RB class is pretty deep. I think there are good options throughout the draft. Here’s how I’d break it down:

Players I’d Take at Pick #36, and Might Even Trade Up to Get
1. Bijan Robinson, Texas (5’11, 215 lbs.)

Players I’d Take at Pick #36 (but would not trade up to get)
2. Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama (5’9, 199 lbs.)

Players I’d Take in Late 2nd (after trade down) or 3rd Round
3. Israel Abanikanda, Pittsburgh (5’10, 216 lbs.)
4. Zach Charbonnet, UCLA (6’0, 214 lbs.)
5. Sean Tucker, Syracuse (5’9, 207 lbs.)

Players I’d Consider in 3rd, but Prefer (after a trade) in the 4th Round
6. Tyjae Spears, Tulane (5’10, 201 lbs.)
7. Devon Achane, Texas A&M (5’8, 188 lbs.)
8. Rochon Johnson, Texas (6’0, 219 lbs.)

Day 3 Prospects
9. Keaton Mitchell, East Carolina (5’8, 179 lbs.)
10. DeWayne McBride, UAB (5’10, 209 lbs.)
11. Tank Bigsby, Auburn (6’0, 210 lbs.)
12. Chase Brown, Illinois (5’9, 209 lbs.)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I start with this premise that I believe most will agree with: the Rams need to take a RB in this year’s draft. Our current depth chart is the enigmatic Cam Akers, who is starting the final year of his rookie deal, Kyren Williams, and Ronnie Rivers. That’s not enough, in my opinion, for the short or long term.

This year’s RB class is pretty deep. I think there are good options throughout the draft. Here’s how I’d break it down:

Day 3 Prospects
You Bijan lovin’ bastid! ~ Jahmyr

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler

Day 3 Prospects
This is a well thought out post. I agree with your assessment on the need for a RB and the criteria for picking one up.
Heh...of course we're going to have to acquire a 4th round pick at some point but I think Les will definitely make it happen as he would prefer to have a presence in every round if possible.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion

Day 3 Prospects
Great and detailed post! I mostly agree with the placements with a few exceptions:

Gibbs - honestly love him and think he would add a layer to our offense, but, I just cannot pull the trigger at 36. If we were to trade down a bit, I could get on board, but we have such huge holes to fill that we need immediate starters for. We currently have a very effective RB (trending to that at end of season), yes, he is on last year of deal and a bit up and down, but effective he was.

All the guys listed as late 2nd's, I like. But I'd bump them all down to 3rd, or late 3rd for some of the reasons listed above. I think Abanikanda could be had a fair amount later if what I've been seeing is accurate (who knows). I think I may like Bigsby and McBride a bit more then you and less high on Johnson. I'm honestly all the way out on Chase Brown, think he's a UDFA. Do not now much about Mitchell, but, damn he's small.

Appreciate the great post!

PARAM

Hall of Fame

Day 3 Prospects
I like a number of those guys, particularly the top 4. I also like Rochon J, Kendre Miller and Kenny McIntosh. Miller is a guy I'd love to see us grab.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Kendre Miller, TCU?
Yeah, that totally slipped my mind. He'd certainly be on my list. Do you not like him Avenger? He'd be leaps and bounds above Brown for me.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
It will be fun to see how the RB's get slotted real world.
you have Aba really high and dropped Tank a bit.
those sizes you list look like draftbuzz sizes? Charbs is bigger than that I think but as we all know sizes get fudged a bit.

Thanks for putting in the effort, it is going to be fun to watch.
I really like Mitchell as a returner and schemed weapon if we can get him later maybe as 1 of our 5ths

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The sizes listed are from the Combine. That means they were accurate at the time. Of course, some players probably slim down for their 40 time, while smaller guys may bulk up to temper the “undersized” label, so take them for what they’re worth.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Feels like there's a lot of teams that need backfield help. But with this class that depth of the group might work against the guys at the top with teams electing to address it mid to late.

If I had to bet either way I'd say they go off Gibbs > Robinson from that 15-30 range. Chances are more teams want a Kamara type than they want a bell cow though certainly Robinson is a high quality back. If either are still on the board for the start of day two I doubt they last much longer than that.

I'm wondering who the Rams would consider trading up for. Also if they get Robinson he will replace Akers immediately as the bell cow because he's simply better. If they get Gibbs he'd see a lot of the field but coexist better spelling Akers as a change of pace. Either makes us a better team for sure.

But which team is better I wonder...

Rams who take a shot on a cornerstone position (Edge, Corner, LT) early and still get one of these very good RB options later.

Or

Rams who add an impact backfield piece early and take a shot at that other position mid to late.

Guess it probably comes down to Akers. As in if he has a career year we'd be stronger overall hitting on an Edge or Corner. But this will be a very interesting draft because we're gonna have to choose what we leave in a subpar status on the roster.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Akers has me rattled. We can’t go into the season uneasy at RB.

Yes… we CAN draft one later, but we can’t screw this up. A running threat opens up McVay’s offense like it does all of them.

I grab a RB this draft, add to the OL, and get a TE. Get the offense ROLLING!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Feels like there's a lot of teams that need backfield help. But with this class that depth of the group might work against the guys at the top with teams electing to address it mid to late.

If I had to bet either way I'd say they go off Gibbs > Robinson from that 15-30 range. Chances are more teams want a Kamara type than they want a bell cow though certainly Robinson is a high quality back. If either are still on the board for the start of day two I doubt they last much longer than that.

I'm wondering who the Rams would consider trading up for. Also if they get Robinson he will replace Akers immediately as the bell cow because he's simply better. If they get Gibbs he'd see a lot of the field but coexist better spelling Akers as a change of pace. Either makes us a better team for sure.

But which team is better I wonder...

Rams who take a shot on a cornerstone position (Edge, Corner, LT) early and still get one of these very good RB options later.

Or

Rams who add an impact backfield piece early and take a shot at that other position mid to late.

Guess it probably comes down to Akers. As in if he has a career year we'd be stronger overall hitting on an Edge or Corner. But this will be a very interesting draft because we're gonna have to choose what we leave in a subpar status on the roster.
I would say that Gibbs would be head and shoulders better than Cam. better vision, hits the hole hard and he's a lot faster. Cam MIGHT be a better blocker, bur I think that changes pretty fast.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I would say that Gibbs would be head and shoulders better than Cam. better vision, hits the hole hard and he's a lot faster. Cam MIGHT be a better blocker, bur I think that changes pretty fast.
He would cancel out the Kyren Williams pick as I don't see Gibbs as an every down back. Seems more like a 3rd down, spot starter, with big play ability, but couldn't take a high workload at only being 200lbs.

I prefer a big back to push Cam for the majority of the carries with Williams getting more opportunities on 3rd down.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He'd be ten times more dangerous in this offense, no doubt about it. There is that chance Gibbs doesn't like carrying the load at the NFL level, it's a big jump for these guys I think, but just saying I see him sharing time with Akers if we get him just like Kamara was used early on. Whereas the other back I don't think you look back.

But Gibbs probably has the better pro career I'd think, assuming both stay healthy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He would cancel out the Kyren Williams pick as I don't see Gibbs as an every down back. Seems more like a 3rd down, spot starter, with big play ability, but couldn't take a high workload at only being 200lbs.

I prefer a big back to push Cam for the majority of the carries with Williams getting more opportunities on 3rd down.
Maybe. We'll see. I think he runs pretty well between the tackles but smashing a guy like that into the OL when you should have a bell cow type might be a waste of his talent. Especially when you consider our OL can't run block for shit.

So because he's a more valuable weapon I think he gets used that way more, in the pass game. Kamara really is the good example here I think.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally, I have Devon Achane rated far higher, Sean Tucker rated far lower, and like Chase Brown a lot more than you do. Achane is small, but he's blazing fast, has outstanding hands, and is surprisingly difficult to knock off his feet. I thought Tucker's vision was total shit this year.

And while Chase Brown doesn't run with a ton of power and has only average hands, his instincts and vision in the ZBS are off the charts. Combine that with his speed, and you have a guy who is going to be an effective one-cut runner. He's the sort of kid who ends up in Kyle Shanahan's system and just kills it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd definitely include Lew Nichols somewhere in that list. Yes, he had injury issues last year, and his third down potential needs work, but he's probably one of my favorites when it comes to total package. He's a 5'11", 220 lbs. horse who has great athleticism for his size, good vision, great physicality. He reminds me a bit of Marion Barber (RIP), size and physicality-wise.

I like him a hell of a lot more than Tank Bigsby

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Personally, I have Devon Achane rated far higher, Sean Tucker rated far lower, and like Chase Brown a lot more than you do. Achane is small, but he's blazing fast, has outstanding hands, and is surprisingly difficult to knock off his feet. I thought Tucker's vision was total shit this year.

And while Chase Brown doesn't run with a ton of power and has only average hands, his instincts and vision in the ZBS are off the charts. Combine that with his speed, and you have a guy who is going to be an effective one-cut runner. He's the sort of kid who ends up in Kyle Shanahan's system and just kills it.
Achane is so light though. 188lbs? Thats lighter than the average CB (194lbs). He played last year at 185.

I don’t know how I feel about that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Achane is so light though. 188lbs? Thats lighter than the average CB (194lbs). He played last year at 185.

I don’t know how I feel about that.

I'd just say trust the film.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN1pc1VFxDk