My Take on the Rams Defensive Philosophy/Scheme

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FLramFAN

Rookie
First off, let me say that I don't even agree with the approach that I think the Rams are taking, but I do think it's a legitimate concept in regard to why and how they are playing the way they are playing.

- I think the general idea is to keep the ball in front of the D, tackle well and force the offense to make long drives to score.

- I think the Rams expected to be getting more pressure on the QB, sooner than they are so far this year, because of the great sack numbers last season.

- I think both of the concepts above were supposed to lead to offensive mistakes and really good defensive plays that would lead to turnovers.

The problems with this scheme or philosophy are as follows:

- Poor tackling turns short gains in to long ones.

- Teams realize that if they can slow up the DEs for about 2/10 of a second, then the soft coverage from the DBs results in easy completions.

- Teams realize that the speed of the Rams defense makes them over-confident in pursuit so they continue to be hurt by virtually any cutback by a running back.

- The Rams defense has sacrificed, in many ways, speed for size and experience.

- Playing defense when you are playing from behind leaves the D little chance to dictate anything to the opposing offense. When you are leading the game, the offense can call any type of play at any time and the Rams D is rarely given the change to pin their ears back and rush the passer which, is what they should be doing best.

- Being on the field for most of the game simply tires and discourages the defensive players.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Pretty fair assessment. I have nothing to add to that.

RamzFanz

Damnit
FLramFAN said:
First off, let me say that I don't even agree with the approach that I think the Rams are taking, but I do think it's a legitimate concept in regard to why and how they are playing the way they are playing.

- I think the general idea is to keep the ball in front of the D, tackle well and force the offense to make long drives to score.

- I think the Rams expected to be getting more pressure on the QB, sooner than they are so far this year, because of the great sack numbers last season.

- I think both of the concepts above were supposed to lead to offensive mistakes and really good defensive plays that would lead to turnovers.

- Poor tackling turns short gains in to long ones.

- Teams realize that if they can slow up the DEs for about 2/10 of a second, then the soft coverage from the DBs results in easy completions.

- Teams realize that the speed of the Rams defense makes them over-confident in pursuit so they continue to be hurt by virtually any cutback by a running back.

- The Rams defense has sacrificed, in many ways, speed for size and experience.

- Playing defense when you are playing from behind leaves the D little chance to dictate anything to the opposing offense. When you are leading the game, the offense can call any type of play at any time and the Rams D is rarely given the change to pin their ears back and rush the passer which, is what they should be doing best.

- Being on the field for most of the game simply tires and discourages the defensive players.

- I agree about keeping the O in front of the Rams' D. The "bend but don't break" could work.

- NO team can get pressure on a QB who doesn't have the ball and no QB will have the ball if they can dump it off for 6-8 yards every play within 1 second of hiking it.

- Turnovers don't happen when A) The QB doesn't have the ball when you get to him and B) The defender is nowhere near the receiver when he catches it. Fair?

Well, you know my opinion.

One bouncy for you for talking actual scheme:

Bouncyhelmet_zps67a277c4.gif

FLramFAN

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With the announcement of my first bouncy... I'd like to thank all of the "little" people and also the "bouncy girl's" parents (or surgeon) who provided her with those special gifts. It's an award that I'll cherish forever.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
FLramFAN said:
With the announcement of my first bouncy... I'd like to thank all of the "little" people and also the "bouncy girl's" parents (or surgeon) who provided her with those special gifts. It's an award that I'll cherish forever.

Mine was bigger. :sly: