My take on DB rotation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'll have my eye on two things during the preseason this year. I want to see how this rebuilt OL does in the running game and see how well Stacy and Tre do behind those elephants, and I want to see how the secondary shakes out.

I've spoken about my high hopes of Janoris Jenkins having a true breakout season, and I'm very curious how the secondary depth chart is going to shake out. There's a lot of pieces there, many of which with very high ceilings including all 4 of the players that were brought in this season that you mentioned. Unfortunately there may be a very low floor for a couple of them.

It should be interesting!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll have my eye on two things during the preseason this year. I want to see how this rebuilt OL does in the running game and see how well Stacy and Tre do behind those elephants, and I want to see how the secondary shakes out.

I've spoken about my high hopes of Janoris Jenkins having a true breakout season, and I'm very curious how the secondary depth chart is going to shake out. There's a lot of pieces there, many of which with very high ceilings including all 4 of the players that were brought in this season that you mentioned. Unfortunately there may be a very low floor for a couple of them.

It should be interesting!

Agreed. Who do u see from the newbies having the highest ceiling this year... And in the future?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Hard to say.

I think Gaines has potential to be a solid starter in the NFL, but at FS. I don't see him as a player that's going to succeed on the outside in this defense. Maybe somewhere like Dallas.

Greg Reid had the ability to to be a good slot cover guy, but after multiple knee surgeries and a year away from football and a few years away from real competition, it's hard to rely on him to break camp let alone make an impact.

Roberson is somewhat intriguing but there's a reason he didn't get drafted. I was never very impressed by him, though I would've put money on him being drafted on Day 3 by somebody, and I think Purifoy will be a better corner with Jaylen Watkins being the best of the 3 Florida CBs.

Obviously it's Jenkins, Johnson, and Joyner as your top corners. McGee got some praise in OTAs so I'd be surprised if he isn't here. I think Gaines will make the team. Roberson or Reid could make the team as depth as depth, but the team may instead elect to go with 5 CBs (Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, McGee, Gaines) because they like McLeod's ability to cover the slot in sub-packages.

All in all, I think the biggest upside of the players coming in this year could be E.J. Gaines topping the depth chart as a deep zone FS. If he gets an opportunity to do so and proves to be rangy enough on the back end, I really want to see what T.J. McDonald can do as an in-the-box thumper, or a rich man's Roman Harper. Dream scenario would be Gaines outplaying everyone and earning that starting job at FS with Greg Reid playing like FSU Greg Reid and earning the job as a 5th corner and return man.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hard to say.

I think Gaines has potential to be a solid starter in the NFL, but at FS. I don't see him as a player that's going to succeed on the outside in this defense. Maybe somewhere like Dallas.

Greg Reid had the ability to to be a good slot cover guy, but after multiple knee surgeries and a year away from football and a few years away from real competition, it's hard to rely on him to break camp let alone make an impact.

Roberson is somewhat intriguing but there's a reason he didn't get drafted. I was never very impressed by him, though I would've put money on him being drafted on Day 3 by somebody, and I think Purifoy will be a better corner with Jaylen Watkins being the best of the 3 Florida CBs.

Obviously it's Jenkins, Johnson, and Joyner as your top corners. McGee got some praise in OTAs so I'd be surprised if he isn't here. I think Gaines will make the team. Roberson or Reid could make the team as depth as depth, but the team may instead elect to go with 5 CBs (Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, McGee, Gaines) because they like McLeod's ability to cover the slot in sub-packages.

All in all, I think the biggest upside of the players coming in this year could be E.J. Gaines topping the depth chart as a deep zone FS. If he gets an opportunity to do so and proves to be rangy enough on the back end, I really want to see what T.J. McDonald can do as an in-the-box thumper, or a rich man's Roman Harper. Dream scenario would be Gaines outplaying everyone and earning that starting job at FS with Greg Reid playing like FSU Greg Reid and earning the job as a 5th corner and return man.

I agree with so much of this...If Gaines is used/converted to FS, I'd expect him to be placed on the practice squad. He seems like a heady player, and may have the mindset for S. Williams likes larger/thumper safeties, so we'll see. I personally don't think he's physical nor fast enough. His combine speed was surprising.
I really liked Purifoy....Jalen Watkins too. But Roberson fell of my hype list after his 40. It is surprising for me to see corners outta the SEC or Florida run 4.5-4.6 40's...Just a thing I guess. His injury history is the major red flag in my book. Not sure what his off-the-field stuff entails...
I like Reid the best, he's actually a better returner than cover man, but has the skills (ceiling) to be really good. Not sure about this 2 years off from football jacket all the "experts" seem to think would hinder such a young man. Snisher saw his workout & deemed him healthy. Out of the bubble guys (Roberson/Gaines/Woody) I'd love to see what he could do in horns.
McGee actually played due to injuries/suspensions (?) last year. Shows me he was ready more than the others on the roster (woody). He lined up over Joyner, who was a relatively high pick. He has the athleticism to play on this level, was a team leader at the U. And is great at ST's here. There is really no way he gets cut unless some player wows Fassell.
Safety is a whole nuther subject, I think they're pretty set with TJ, Mo, McLeod, & Daniels/Davis (whichever stands out in TC & preseason)

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
This opinion is based on film study, I won't be able to attend camp til a week from Thursday.

Let me start by saying I believe Mo Alexander has a bright future but this is a redshirt year. The same goes for Christian Bryant, Greg Reid, and Marcus Roberson to lesser degrees. Beside the learning curve all three rookies face, health issues are also a factor this year. Think Barrett Jones...

The starting outside corners, JJ and TJ will flourish under Williams. Both will give up a handful of big plays by bad gambles but those will be exceeded by big plays that will impact games much more. Think of how the GSOT didn't worry about turnovers because they knew their aggressiveness would greatly outweigh the losses. Bottom line, rather than safe, soft cushions...QBs will have to gamble their receivers will win those battles outside.

LJoyner is our second best offseason get. While Donald will likely get DROY accolades, Joyner's development/success is the essential key to an effective secondary. Should he lock down the nickel role, JJ and TJ get to stay outside. If LJ is injured, JJ will need to go inside and we will have to hope Gaines is ready for the outside and he will be limited to zone coverage because he's maybe a couple years away from competently handling press duty. Sorry, I never want to see McGee or McLeod playing more than spot CB duty. Furthermore, when we have three linebackers on the field, I want Joyner in the FS role. While McGee or Daniels will be our best FS options in the nickel, neither have Joyner's juice in the base set.

Matt Daniels and Cody Davis both represent depth potential behind McDonald and Joyner. If they stay healthy, both could push McLeod. Their presence is important because they allow the redshirt guys to develop in practice rather than be forced to be liabilities this year.

I purposely saved McDonald for last. He is the one player with the pedigree, physicality, and intelligence GWill can trust for the big play role in the secondary. Face it, this will be a balls to the wall defense that will live or die by the big play. The aggressive mindset will make them feared but more than occasionally die by the same sword. TJ goes for kill shots and this leads to missed tackles. While he might improve by experience and film study...do you really think Cecil, Williams, and Fisher will EVER tell him to dial back his aggressive nature? Nickel, please... We have a budding Pro Bowler in our midst.

How uncanny. I feel the exact same way. I especially agree, when you say... We need to see Joyner play FS when we got 3 linebackers on the field.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
When, how, and where I became a Rams fan?

During the mid and late 60's I lived in Anchorage Alaska. The LA Rams were the default home team, because the Seahawks didn't exist. I loved Roman Gabriel! He is still my all time favorite signal caller. Many people love the way Peyton Manning screams Omaha, but give me Roman Gabriel yelling in a deep manly voice those off beat snap counts that drew defensive lineman off sides!

I loved the blue and white uniforms, Ram Skulls, and everything about the Rams. The fearsome foursome, Jack Snow, a parade of superb running backs, I loved everything except the heart breaking losses! I still got scars stitched on my skull, in my grey matter, upon my breast and heart that sting when I remember the losses.

My dad was a football coach and 1970 he moved our family deep into the dreaded enemy territory that was Doomsday Dallas. I hated the Cowboys and I loathed the Vikings! I grew up helping my dad diagram plays, and later I filmed football practices and games. And that's why I agree LeoRam. Play Joyner at free safety when the Rams have 3 linebackers on the field.

Alan

Legend
So I waited until lots of others chimed in. Good stuf @leoram . I don't know enough about all of them yet to comment but I like your thought processes. :)

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
All good stuff.
I don't watch much college ball, so the insight is interesting.