My take after the first three games, which I will add were all wins.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Goff,
Everyone is throwing the book at Jared last night. Really he played a fine game.
He played better in the first half and his wideouts let him down. But that was in no measure a "fine game" for Jared Goff. And if it is, it's time to draft another QB.

As tiring as it is for some to see people "whining" about the win it is moreso to see people make excuses when our young QB needs to be better. Thankfully I know McVay isn't going to pat Jared on the back and fill his head with all that, he's going to bust his balls in the film room and help him get better.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
The coaches don't seem to have the offense ready to play at the start of these games, they start slow and look sloppy. They may want to go back to the days when the first 15 plays were scripted. The defense has played very good and the new additions have really added something. If not for the defense they would at best be 1&2, at this point. Special teams have been okay but Natson needs to be replaced.

My thoughts exactly. Was going to post something very similar.

Not sure what is going on with the offense. I think out online has been fine, but Gurley does not seem to be running with the same energy and Goff looks confused. The play calling is also extremely predictable. McVay needs to evolve as a coach and find away to attack the 6 man fronts more effectively.

Natson is going to cost us a game if he is not replaced sooner than later. Against New Orleans he fielded 2 punts inside the 5 and last night let a kick drop around the 40 which cost us another 17 yards. He is not explosive/good enough to make those types of mistakes IMO.

Good news is I do trust McVay to find a solution, I also trust Goff to turn things around, especially on the road. The best news is we are 3-0 have scored 20+ in every game and the offense has not started clicking yet.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
He played better in the first half and his wideouts let him down. But that was in no measure a "fine game" for Jared Goff. And if it is, it's time to draft another QB.

As tiring as it is for some to see people "whining" about the win it is moreso to see people make excuses when our young QB needs to be better. Thankfully I know McVay isn't going to pat Jared on the back and fill his head with all that, he's going to bust his balls in the film room and help him get better.

Well i respectfully disagree with you. And my talking points were in my post that you conveniently left out haha.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well i respectfully disagree with you. And my talking points were in my post that you conveniently left out haha.
Didn't mean to sound frustrated with your post Jacob. I'm just still a bit irritated with the offense in general and Goff's lack of growth through the first few games. Cheers my man.

KayJay

Starter
That Patriot style defense isn't going away. And that's fine by me. Because we are still able to move the ball. Maybe that's why I'm not bothered by our shitty offense. Context matters to me. 4 drops, a defender going free hitting Goffs hand, and an excellent play by a back up DB. Only one pass had me like "LOL GOFF NO, WTF!?" He's a quarterback, sometimes they get over confident. But Goff isn't allowed to make that mistake because he's Goff.

Our running game was next to non existent and our QB still found a way to get us 20 points; with some help from a few McVay gadget plays. Lol like I'm trying to get worried like everyone else; but it's not just the win making it hard for me to get upset. It's the fact I'm seeing something totally different.

The slow starts are what's concerning, the offense is not. In fact I feel like Goff throws for like 3 or 4 touchdowns next week, not even kidding. The dude was a wizard in the pocket last night. And had a dumb ass pass where he was over confident in. If we weren't able to move the ball, then I'd be more concerned. Some teams can't even do that.

We're just spoiled man, that's all it is. I'm actually mad we didn't hang 30 on them too. I wanted Goff to have like 3 TD'S. Lol idk, I can't wait for the Bucs this week man.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
Aside from the obvious issue of Demby, does anyone else think it's plausible that McVay is intentionally holding back the offense at times? It seemed like the Patriots had an answer for almost everything in the SB due to Billicheat being infamous for watching tape. It just seems that this year, the offense of last year just shows up when we are in really in need of a score.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Didn't mean to sound frustrated with your post Jacob. I'm just still a bit irritated with the offense in general and Goff's lack of growth through the first few games. Cheers my man.

Well don't irritated, I trust McVay and goff will get their feet under them. Maybe this is the superbowl slump everyone was talking about? And if that's true at least we're still winning games.

I think most of these issues can be resolved with a little bit of coaching and a little bit of patients. It's going to take time for our Oline to gel. And it's going to take time for our Offense as a whole to adjust to what teams are now doing to us. I think it's a combination of both.

No worries tho brotha, we are 3-0 and next week we are at home, and hopefully we can sharpen up.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Aside from the obvious issue of Demby, does anyone else think it's plausible that McVay is intentionally holding back the offense at times? It seemed like the Patriots had an answer for almost everything in the SB due to Billicheat being infamous for watching tape. It just seems that this year, the offense of last year just shows up when we are in really in need of a score.

Someone on another thread speculated that McVay might be playing the long game and is thus being careful about what we put on film. It's plausible.

Either way, there are issues with our offense. That being said, McVay is not the kind of guy who will Martz it up and double down on things that aren't working. I think this eventually gets fixed and we see the Rams O back up to our raised level of expectations.

I do think a big part of it is the interior OL right now, even moreso this week with Demby starting in place of Blythe. Breaking in two new guys was already going to be tough, adding a third made it even tougher. Couple that with the fact that the Rams have played three teams who are all pretty good in the front seven, and the issues we see are exacerbated.

And yet, the Rams are 3-0 including two cross-country road games. I think as Blythe comes back and the new combo of Noteboom and Allen continue to get game experience, the OL will get better, and that will fix a lot of what ails the O right now.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm as much a Goff mom as anyone. But even I can see he isn't the same confident guy he was before the bye last week. Teams have figured out ways to make things more difficult for him and McVay. So far they haven't been able to adjust. At least not to the expectations of the fans and media.

The way I see it, these teams figured some things out with our offense. Now its up to our offense to figure out some things about how defenses are playing them. When they do that I think we will see some better things out of them.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
My thought on the offense is its in the process of evolving. Last year our bread and butter was the jet sweep or fake jet sweep. This year it has been used very little. It also seems we have used the shotgun more. I also noticed that we haven't gone up tempo much and in general we break the huddle with about 15 seconds on the clock (meaning McVay is not in Goff's ear). I think the offense just needs more time with the changes. I'm note sure why people are bagging on Gurley. Both he and Brown were quite productive in the first two games. Browns just stuffed both last night.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

seriously man?

show us a game where a qb is constantly having to evade pressure and making perfect decisions and throws every time.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Mt 2 cents. I don't see Gurley involved in the passing game much except losing yards on screen plays that get sniffed out quickly. He used to line up as a receiver and catch passes down the field, some of which were short passes that he made a lot of YAC on. The "Patriots" defense that the Browns employed is weak when you run right at them but for some reason we kept going to the outside.

It could be with the OL changes, a new OC and perhaps a little rust from not playing any pre-season games.

I trust McVay to get the Rams back to explosive soon. Good thing our defense has improved to where we don't need to score 35 each week. :cool:

No complaints when you're 3-0.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is funny to me to see people minimizing the impact of the OL not playing well. You realize that is the most important part of the offense, right? Like, you can't run or pass if your OL isn't doing it's job. You can't just say, I know our OL has regressed, but we should be playing better on offense. It is all related, and all dependant on the Oline.

If they aren't run blocking, you can't establish the run. You can't run the ball into 3 and outs and expect to establish the run. Likewise, if they are not pass protecting, how do you expect the Receivers to have time to get open, or the QB to stand in and make quality throws.

I am not saying that other components of the offense can't do better, but boy does it get harder when your OLine is not playing well. And you can't just dismiss that.

We have 2 new interior OLinemen. That will take 6-8 weeks for the O Line to gel. Add to that, that our RG got hurt week 2, and now the entire interior of our OLine is new. The offense is going to struggle, period.

The good news is we are 3-0 and through a tough opening stretch of the schedule. When Blythe comes back, I expect the OL to perform better. And with every week I expect them to gel a little more.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
That Patriot style defense isn't going away. And that's fine by me. Because we are still able to move the ball. Maybe that's why I'm not bothered by our shitty offense. Context matters to me. 4 drops, a defender going free hitting Goffs hand, and an excellent play by a back up DB. Only one pass had me like "LOL GOFF NO, WTF!?" He's a quarterback, sometimes they get over confident. But Goff isn't allowed to make that mistake because he's Goff.

Our running game was next to non existent and our QB still found a way to get us 20 points; with some help from a few McVay gadget plays. Lol like I'm trying to get worried like everyone else; but it's not just the win making it hard for me to get upset. It's the fact I'm seeing something totally different.

The slow starts are what's concerning, the offense is not. In fact I feel like Goff throws for like 3 or 4 touchdowns next week, not even kidding. The dude was a wizard in the pocket last night. And had a dumb ass pass where he was over confident in. If we weren't able to move the ball, then I'd be more concerned. Some teams can't even do that.

We're just spoiled man, that's all it is. I'm actually mad we didn't hang 30 on them too. I wanted Goff to have like 3 TD'S. Lol idk, I can't wait for the Bucs this week man.
This is what I need. Some positive view points. Thanks