My speech about how ESPN is ruinin sports

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
This wasn't the final copy, just what I wanted to say I typed out. Originally it was supposed to be an attempt at a blog entry here, but just never got around to it.

Intro
The Entertainmetn and Sports Programing Network, the leader in sports?

Do an excellent job in certain shows such as ESPN 1st Take, ESPNews, and broadcasting games.

Where I believe they fail is equal and fair coverage of sports.

Today I’d like to offer some of my opinions on why I think ESPN is ruining sports, and hopefully will see and agree with my premise. I will be going thru 3 of the 4 major sports: NFL, NBA, and MLB and giving examples on where they fail and what they can do to improve.

NFL
First, the NFL. This is the main sport I follow.

Equal coverage? There are 32 teams in the league. Instead of focusing on all of them, aside from news and tidbits here or there.

Buffalo Bills WR Stevie Johnson was on NFL Live a couple weeks ago. I thought, OK finally some coverage. Only 1 or 2 questions were about the Bills. The others were about Terrell Owens future. Why was there a need to bring up that question?

The constant coverage of the New England Patriots. As a St. Louis Rams fan, I was looking forward to seeing highlights of Bradford. Instead, I was treated to the Tom Brady show. Analysts GUSHED over Patriot highlights, but not Rams. However, instead of giving credit to the Rams 1st string offense for scoring TDs, they instead focused on the Patriot’s problems on D!

Speaking of Tom Brady, ESPN has been running specials called Year of the QB. One such special is fully dedicated to Brady. Fine, I get that he’s a top QB. But, on the episode titled “best of” I want to see more of the other 31 QBs, I don’t need to see Brady’s face in it more than once. Equal coverage.
Too much attention is layed upon a few teams, while the rest get stuck in the dark.

NBA
The NBA. Where to start here.
Around this time last year, we all saw “The Decision”, LeBron James’ special to announce what team he was going to…on ESPN. An entire special dedicated to a player that has never won a championship. Special treatment, much?

Russell Westbrook vs. LeBron.

The past NBA finals, more attention was paid on the Heat than the Mavs. The clip of James and Dwayne Wade mocking Nowitzski’s illness was played countless times. On 1st Take they do these debates, and the 1st debate was about the Heat. THEN it came time to talk about the Mavs.

A Milwakee Bucks game was broadcast on ESPN this year. They had a losing record, but their fans were intense and loudly cheering out, some with antlers on their head. Now how could someone who doesn’t have a team see that, and become a Bucks fan? Sadly, ESPN rarely, if ever, talks about them. No one could a name a player from that team. More exposure would lead to more fans and generate more interest.

MLB
Hey, did you hear Derek Jeter has hit 3000 career hits? Do think Derek Jeter should play the all star game? Is Derek Jeter losing credibility sitting out? Derek Jeter, Derek Jeter, Derek Jeter.

Do you think the Red Sox can turn it around? What’s wrong with them? Are they now contenders? Coming up our premiere Sunday night game, the Rays and the Red Sox.

Bias? How many baseball fans know that the Pirates and Indians are fighting for 1st place in their respective divisions, let alone name any players? Give some exposure to these teams, rather than just talk about the Yankees and Red Sox and their players.

I also talked aboiut the annoying Brett Favre coverage from last year, and how days on end were spent covering him, plus when Albert Pujols broke his forearm and on SportsCenter had a "career lows for Pujols" segment.

Russell Westbrook vs. Lebron meaning how much they were defending LeBron and all the nonstop criticism Westbrook had durin the playoffs.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
ESPN loves the big markets. They really like dissecting teams that are underachieving and rarely give the suprising teams enough coverage.

I think ESPN is the worst with their MLB coverage. I never see the Indians and Pirates get enough coverage. The excuse I always hear is theres no way they can keep playing this well and teams like the Twins, White Sox, Cardinals, Reds, or Brewers will come back to win those divisions. Who cares??? Its like ESPN forgets that fans like the suprising, underdog teams!! Ive grown to like the Cards a lot but I really have enjoyed the Pirates improvement. Id love to see them and/or the Brewers end up with a better record than the Reds lol.

We all better get used to the Heat coverage. Lebrons decision was a very good thing for NBA and ESPN knows it.

The NFL coverage got pretty bad last year. Remember all the crap about the Cowboys and Vikings struggling?? It was like the end of the world to see the Cowboys underachieve and Favre playing terrible lol. And while all this is going on you have the Rams and Bucs having really nice turnaround seasons after picking in the top 3 of the draft in 2010.

Anonymous

All valid criticisms of ESPN but you can say the same for all national networks sports coverage. The smaller markets are ignored. If the Cardinals didn't have Pujols they would be ignored too. Heck it took forever to get Pujols his due as long as Bonds was still playing and the latest roided Yankee was being touted. The NFL coverage is all big city and bandwagon. Small market teams like the Rams and Saints get no coverage worth a shit until they are 6-0 and then it's like pulling teeth to admit they are worthy of their record. New York, Philly, Chicago, LA, Dallas, Boston in every sport y'all suck shit you greedy national coverage whores. :flip: :flip: :flip:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Squeaky's right about the Cards; we have Holliday, Wainwright, Molina, Berkman (who happens to be among the league leaders in home runs), and Garcia - and that's not even mentioning top prospects like Miller and Martinez - but if The Machine wasn't on our team, I guarantee you that the Reds, Brewers, and Cubs would get more attention than we would. That's not even taking the Yanks, Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Phils, Mets, and Rangers into account.

Here's a another thing: they constantly down the Blues. When the Wings trade into the second round for unproven players, their draft gets an "A". When the Blues trade their first for two proven young players and end up with three second round picks, they get a "C-". Never mind the fact that we got three top-forty players in a deep draft; it's still below-average.

Edit: SCREW THIS FUCKING IPOD!

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
squeaky wheel said:
All valid criticisms of ESPN but you can say the same for all national networks sports coverage. The smaller markets are ignored. If the Cardinals didn't have Pujols they would be ignored too. Heck it took forever to get Pujols his due as long as Bonds was still playing and the latest roided Yankee was being touted. The NFL coverage is all big city and bandwagon. Small market teams like the Rams and Saints get no coverage worth a shyte until they are 6-0 and then it's like pulling teeth to admit they are worthy of their record. New York, Philly, Chicago, LA, Dallas, Boston in every sport y'all suck shyte you greedy national coverage whores. :flip: :flip: :flip:

You sure about that?

I watch FOX's pregame show and they do a damn good job in giving equal coverage to all teams, whether it be for on the field or off the field. Plus when teams turn their seasons around, they show us the players and allows the casual fan a chance to know the team.

Plus NBC didn't bash the NFC West durin the SNF game unlike ESPN on MNF. That was a joke.

Didn't know that about the hockey thing, but not surprised that it happens.

Anonymous

Angry Ram said:
squeaky wheel said:
All valid criticisms of ESPN but you can say the same for all national networks sports coverage. The smaller markets are ignored. If the Cardinals didn't have Pujols they would be ignored too. Heck it took forever to get Pujols his due as long as Bonds was still playing and the latest roided Yankee was being touted. The NFL coverage is all big city and bandwagon. Small market teams like the Rams and Saints get no coverage worth a shyte until they are 6-0 and then it's like pulling teeth to admit they are worthy of their record. New York, Philly, Chicago, LA, Dallas, Boston in every sport y'all suck shyte you greedy national coverage whores. :flip: :flip: :flip:

You sure about that?

I watch FOX's pregame show and they do a damn good job in giving equal coverage to all teams, whether it be for on the field or off the field. Plus when teams turn their seasons around, they show us the players and allows the casual fan a chance to know the team.

Plus NBC didn't bash the NFC West durin the SNF game unlike ESPN on MNF. That was a joke.

It's been so long since I watched the FOX pregame show for MLB so I don't know. As for their NFL pregame show it's the 6-0 thing I mentioned other than the 15 second segment with the game announcer for each game they broadcast that day. If it's the 15 second spot then I'm not impressed. The fact is they like all the national networks whore up the big cities teams. You hear the moaning loud and clear in all sports if the championship is between two small market teams. They bitch and whine about ratings and will anyone watch or care. It's enough to make Sqeaky go Elvis on his TV......and Squeaky's a cheap bastard.

Angry Ram

squeaky wheel said:
Angry Ram said:
squeaky wheel said:

You sure about that?

It's been so long since I watched the FOX pregame show for MLB so I don't know. As for their NFL pregame show it's the 6-0 thing I mentioned other than the 15 second segment with the game announcer for each game they broadcast that day. If it's the 15 second spot then I'm not impressed. The fact is they like all the national networks whore up the big cities teams. You hear the moaning loud and clear in all sports if the championship is between two small market teams. They bitch and whine about ratings and will anyone watch or care. It's enough to make Sqeaky go Elvis on his TV......and Squeaky's a cheap bastard.

I don't watch MLB pregame show, this is NFL.

When the AZ Cards finally turned it around, FOX had an interview w/ all the WRs and Warner, just havin fun and were talkin about each other.

When Rams beat the Cowboys, they had a little "get to know segment" that featured Atogwe, and this last year they had Bradford/Bradshaw interview.

I remember when Roethlisberger was a rookie, they did a feature on him.

At least FOX does something, unliek ESPN who NEVER talks about the Pirates or Indians or the Cards, unless it's to laugh at them.

Anonymous

Angry Ram said:

When the AZ Cards finally turned it around, FOX had an interview w/ all the WRs and Warner, just havin fun and were talkin about each other.

When Rams beat the Cowboys, they had a little "get to know segment" that featured Atogwe, and this last year they had Bradford/Bradshaw interview.

At least FOX does something, unliek ESPN who NEVER talks about the Pirates or Indians or the Cards, unless it's to laugh at them.

Well it's easy to find out. Simply look at the coverage week to week and you'll see the same old tired reports on the Patriots/Giants/Jets/Eagles/Cowboys etc. from WEEK 1 on regardless of their record. Look at the teams with 2-0 records at Week 3 and see if the small market teams get the coverage of the big market teams whether the big market teams are 2-0 or 0-2. Then look at each week. What you'll see is time given to big market teams even when tanking while small market teams winning are by comparison ignored. Honestly is their anyone out there that doesn't know about Brady/Belichick/Patriots? Or about Vick/Reid/Eagles?

What do you mean when AZ turned it around? Like wining their division with a laugher backing in at 9-7? Coverage via winning PLAYOFF games should be a freaking given considering so few teams are playing. Right?

Here's another point: we constantly hear how shitty the NFC West is right? It's freaking nonstop year after year from the "experts". Right? Yet have you ever heard those experts mention which division in the NFC has won the most conference titles over the last 10-11 years? That's a big freaking omission if you ask me. That is DIRECTLY a result of small market teams making up the NFC west IMO.

Angry Ram

squeaky wheel said:
Angry Ram said:

Well it's easy to find out. Simply look at the coverage week to week and you'll see the same old tired reports on the Patriots/Giants/Jets/Eagles/Cowboys etc. from WEEK 1 on regardless of their record. Look at the teams with 2-0 records at Week 3 and see if the small market teams get the coverage of the big market teams whether the big market teams are 2-0 or 0-2. Then look at each week. What you'll see is time given to big market teams even when tanking while small market teams winning are by comparison ignored. Honestly is their anyone out there that doesn't know about Brady/Belichick/Patriots? Or about Vick/Reid/Eagles?

What do you mean when AZ turned it around? Like wining their division with a laugher backing in at 9-7? Coverage via winning PLAYOFF games should be a freaking given considering so few teams are playing. Right?

Here's another point: we constantly hear how shitty the NFC West is right? It's freaking nonstop year after year from the "experts". Right? Yet have you ever heard those experts mention which division in the NFC has won the most conference titles over the last 10-11 years? That's a big freaking omission if you ask me. That is DIRECTLY a result of small market teams making up the NFC west IMO.

Giants? Not so much. The Jets are only talked about b/c of Rex Ryan's mouth. And ESPN's love affair w/ Mark Sanchez. Remember the Rams/Jets preseaosn game couple years back? The rest I agree with tho.

It was durin mid season w/ the Cards, when they were on that win streak (remember they tanked @ the end). And honestly, ESPN is the only one that is actually bashin the NFCW. The other networks just called it weak, and left it at that. Monday night countdown totally ignored the 49er/Card matchup. Like it didn't even exist. Now as a Ram fan I enjoy their futility, but the Rams are part of that division, and to bash them is to bash the Rams!

BTW, here's what ESPN is gonna talk about when FA starts...

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/23/report-eagles-interested-in-brett-favre/#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... /#comments</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
squeaky wheel said:
Angry Ram said:

Giants? Not so much. The Jets are only talked about b/c of Rex Ryan's mouth. And ESPN's love affair w/ Mark Sanchez. Remember the Rams/Jets preseaosn game couple years back? The rest I agree with tho.

It was durin mid season w/ the Cards, when they were on that win streak (remember they tanked @ the end). And honestly, ESPN is the only one that is actually bashin the NFCW. The other networks just called it weak, and left it at that. Monday night countdown totally ignored the 49er/Card matchup. Like it didn't even exist. Now as a Ram fan I enjoy their futility, but the Rams are part of that division, and to bash them is to bash the Rams!

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/23/report-eagles-interested-in-brett-favre/#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... /#comments</a>
Uhhh.... what's with the picture on that page? That's not Favre, and I don't see the relevance of putting a photo of an impersonator with that story. PFT is just weird sometimes.

Angry Ram

StlouisramsX said:
Angry Ram said:
squeaky wheel said:
Angry Ram said:

Uhhh.... what's with the picture on that page? That's not Favre, and I don't see the relevance of putting a photo of an impersonator with that story. PFT is just weird sometimes.

lol I think that's the point, showin how much of a joke this story (non story?) is. PFT > ESPN.