My Rant

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Lucky would have been Saffold wanting to stay in STL enough to take a lower contract for example. It happens.
I *could* see a William Hayes type situation happening, if not for the fact that Saffold got displaced from his position without a decline in play or a preseason competition just because the Rams signed Long.

Saffold handled it professionally, but I wouldn't have wanted to stay here for less money after that either.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
It's the second day off FA and we haven't even had the Draft yet. Idk why people get pissed when they see our roster I March. This isn't the week 1 roster

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Who are the teams making moves? The same old Bucs, Browns, Bills, Raiders, Redskins? And what do they all have in common...nothing except being irrelevant in December.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I *could* see a William Hayes type situation happening, if not for the fact that Saffold got displaced from his position without a decline in play or a preseason competition just because the Rams signed Long.

Saffold handled it professionally, but I wouldn't have wanted to stay here for less money after that either.

Saffold is also injury prone and, if your goal is to win rather than just money, you might understand you're contributing to a team and not just playing the position you want.

Regardless, the Rams could have gotten lucky. His wife could have loved St Louis and persuaded him to stay. Lucky. That's my only point, they didn't get lucky.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Who are the teams making moves? The same old Bucs, Browns, Bills, Raiders, Redskins? And what do they all have in common...nothing except being irrelevant in December.
To be fair, if I were the Redskins with that 2nd worst record in the NFL and no 1st round pick, I'd be throwing panic money at Free Agency too.

laramsoriginal

Starter

Add the rams to that depressing list of non winning teams. Lets not act like the rams have a recipe for success

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Add the rams to that depressing list of non winning teams. Lets not act like the rams have a recipe for success

Agreed! From Drew Bennett to Jason Brown to Cortland Finnegan, and zero results.

If anything that should show everyone how overrated FA really is! Use it for getting a gaggle of good role and depth players, nothing more.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
No! I want Robinson to be our #1 WR! ;)
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. If you glean too much information from forums things can look a lot more desperate than they actually are :)

To the OP, addition by subtraction. Sad as it is to say, Saffold was too often injured to really be considered a loss to this team. Finnegan was a mistake from the start and Dahl was in a serious state of decline.

The free safety situation is the same as last year, except with our young UDFAs getting another year experience. Who knows, maybe we do have a diamond in the rough, or maybe we will yet acquire serviceable help via. the draft or free agency. But really, we can only go up from there even if we didn't sign the top UFA. Even with those glaring holes a new OLB, the top veteran CB basically not contributing, we still competed well defensively. So no Ragnarock to see there, moving along :)

Regarding the offensive line, sure there will be turmoil, but that's another area that was been muddled from day one with injuries. What changes is the opportunity to achieve cohesiveness through turnover, sad as that is to say.

So let's just say that the o line is patched in much the same way as it has been in the past, with just a slight improvement. Where does that leave us? I do dare say as you did that Bailey and Austin will perform. I also believe that Quick, Pettis and Cook will continue to improve. Our receiver and tight end core is going to be hard for any team to shut down, not because of any blue chip target, but because of it's match up versatility, especially with Bradford back.

So, I mean really just keeping it in perspective. Dunbar may yet be back, right? That leaves your second year rookie as a backup. And we can already say that our front seven is good. In fact we can choose by BPA for any position of need to improve on our defense, IMO and have a positive impact, be that OLB in place of Dunbar, free safety or even corner.

Because an upgrade at OLB may mean less nickle, better run support and some different blitz packages right? A good safety will help us play tighter man and can help out with run support as well. An upgrade at corner may improve zone coverage on nickle packages.

Sure, we want our own version of Megatron, but who doesn't? The Seahawks won without Calvin Johnson.

We were one win away from .500 last year, and that would have shocked me even before Sam went down, only because of the division we play in and our schedule. I see no reason we won't be at least .500 this year. There you have it, coming from a guy who predicted 4-6 wins at the beginning of last season.

Speeps

Starter
I don't think we can panic 1 day into free agency. Literally, the first day of free agency ended 4 minutes ago. This is smart thinking by the rams. The market isn't great so why over pay when you don't need too? This is how smart teams operate. They know when to pay and when to sit pat. We're a build through the draft team.

Also let the process play out. As I said how are we going to make all these assumptions 1 day into free agency? Plus we have most of out real estate in the draft. That where we shine the brightest. Lets just wait and see. We will be fine!

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm not sure how much of a factor "luck" is in free agency. You either pay or you don't. Or in the case of this year so far, you either massively overpay or you don't.

I suppose luck could come into it if there were any FA's who flat out didn't want to even consider an offer from the Rams. But I don't know if that's the case.

Hey, at least a small acknowledgment that the signing of Saffold was the luck I was talking about and that you criticized. THAT was luck. It had nothing to do with strategy.

jjab360

Legend
Hey, at least a small acknowledgment that the signing of Saffold was the luck I was talking about and that you criticized. THAT was luck. It had nothing to do with strategy.
This might be one of the only times ever that actually proves your point, lol, but good timing.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel a bit more comfortable with Saffold coming back. Now we may only start one rookie on the O-Line and that may not be too dangerous.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
OK, that was luck... if not just downright bizarre. ;)