My pre-draft depth chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I created this depth chart for my own use to project the "holes" in the roster and how the Rams may evolve their schemes. I think their offense is pretty set in terms of their skill players. I excluded Robinson as a WR because I think he will be a draft day trade. Regardless they have a good set of WRs with speed to threaten all levels of the secondary. Because of it, I see them facing a lot of zone with 2 deep shells.

QB Stafford
RB Akers, Williams
WR Kupp, Jefferson, Atwell, Skowronek
TE Higbee, Long, Hopkins

LT Noteboom
LG Thomas
C Allen
RG Bruss
RT Havenstein

Game swings: OT/OG Jackson, C/OG Shelton, OG Anchrum

I think they could also opt for Jackson at LG though I think Thomas brings more to the table as a pulling OG. I think the Rams could re-sign Cole Toner as a backup OG to replace Anchrum as a gameday reserve. But if they are serious about Shelton as their starting C they would draft his backup this year, probably in the 5th or 6th round.

I think QB2 will be addressed in the draft. They will probably hold off on signing a vet until they see who they can get in the draft. I think the Rams could get a decent backup in the draft in the 5th round.

RB3 is a position they could address in the 5th or more likely the 6th round. The P and PK I see being taken in the 5th round. I can see them adding to the WR room with a late round day three pick.

DE Hoecht / Thomas
NT Brown / Murchison
DT Donald / Carter
JACK Hardy

MIKE Jones
WIL Rozeboom
SAM Zalkenburg

RCB Durant
LCB Rochell
SS Fuller
2 Deep Safety Shell Lake & Yeast

If Morris plays a two deep shell like I think he will then Fuller replaces Zalkenburg who in turn can replace Thomas behind Hoecht. Hardy's starting position is up for grabs and I think will be filled via the draft. The same can be said for the WIL position.

Morris could also move to a DL of:

DE Donald
NT Murchison
DT Carter
DE Hoecht

Morris wants to play a 4-2-5 as his base as he's been trending that way and could do it with Fuller as his hybrid SAM / SS. (Which is how he should have played Rapp)

I see their draft priorities as edge, CB, and ILB with speed to play in coverage to pair with Jones as it was with Wagner. It's why I think if the Rams nail their 1st three picks they can be a playoff team.

I think it's clear by the Rams allowing Gaines to walk they hope Murchison can fill the void. It remains to be seen if he can. He flashed enough to warrant optimism. Edge and ILB (coverage) to play the WIL position and CB are what I see as the most important needs defensively.

I honestly think they have the guys they want on the OL. It's a matter of getting them healed and properly coached up. This OL could be better than 2021 which had Edwards at LG. I see Thomas and even Jackson as an upgrade.

As long as Stafford and the WRs stay healthy this is a very good offense. Williams has shown he makes the Rams two deep at RB so adding a RB3 is all they need.

TEs are locked in IMO with Higbee, Long, and Hopkins. Hopkins has shown enough to warrant another year as TE3.

On defense, the DL will be totally rebuilt around Donald. I see Morris continuing to play his Fangio style combo front of a two gap NT (Brown) and one gap DE and DT with an OLB as their second DE. I think Morris will continue his 4-2-5 defense with Jones and a rookie ILB who hopefully will have the speed to cover as a replacement for Wagner.

If we are fortunate there will be no more of Kendrick starting. His poor play along with his poor attitude makes me wonder why he's still on the team. Hopefully, he won't be in September. Both Lake and Yeast have enough range if they are splitting the field as the deep safeties. Fuller proved he's good in the short to mid-range zones.

I expect them to go defense with all 3 day two picks. I don't see Snead trading out of those picks as two of them are at the top of their rounds.

If the FO was being honest about "seeing what they have on the roster" then there aren't a lot of starting positions to be filled. This is obviously looking like a setup year to 2024. At that point, they will know what their roster is and isn't and Snead can make moves accordingly.

The only wildcard IMO would be if Tanner McKee is on the board at 36. Pure pocket passers have gone out of vogue in the NFL with the exception of the Rams and maybe one or two teams. McKee would give the Rams not just a good backup but a QB to groom for the future which IMO won't be later than after the 2025 season at the very latest and maybe much sooner. He's a perfect fit for McVay's offense can make all the throws with accuracy and knows how to go through his progressions. He's as close as they can get to a rookie Stafford clone. If he drops into the low first round, do they move up and get him? I think they might.

Regardless, this team IMO can be a playoff team if they stay relatively healthy, especially at QB.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Honestly great and detailed post!

The end where you talked about us taking McKee and even possibly moving up for him, is where you lost me. Now that has disaster written all over it. In no way could we lose our top draft picks this year to move up for a player that, ideally, doesn't touch the grass this year. The enormous holes we have created on defense and lack of cap funds necessitates we have to draft for those holes. Also, IMHO, I'm not big on McKee, definitely nowhere near the 1st round and not at 36. I could listen to him in the 3rd, but honestly I'd rather take a flier on Hall or Tune at QB this year. If any rookie see's the field this year, we are picking high in next years draft with legit shots at franchise guys like Williams and Maye, and likely another guy emerges.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I created this depth chart for my own use to project the "holes" in the roster and how the Rams may evolve their schemes. I think their offense is pretty set in terms of their skill players. I excluded Robinson as a WR because I think he will be a draft day trade. Regardless they have a good set of WRs with speed to threaten all levels of the secondary. Because of it, I see them facing a lot of zone with 2 deep shells.

QB Stafford
RB Akers, Williams
WR Kupp, Jefferson, Atwell, Skowronek
TE Higbee, Long, Hopkins

LT Noteboom
LG Thomas
C Allen
RG Bruss
RT Havenstein

Game swings: OT/OG Jackson, C/OG Shelton, OG Anchrum

I think they could also opt for Jackson at LG though I think Thomas brings more to the table as a pulling OG. I think the Rams could re-sign Cole Toner as a backup OG to replace Anchrum as a gameday reserve. But if they are serious about Shelton as their starting C they would draft his backup this year, probably in the 5th or 6th round.

I think QB2 will be addressed in the draft. They will probably hold off on signing a vet until they see who they can get in the draft. I think the Rams could get a decent backup in the draft in the 5th round.

RB3 is a position they could address in the 5th or more likely the 6th round. The P and PK I see being taken in the 5th round. I can see them adding to the WR room with a late round day three pick.

DE Hoecht / Thomas
NT Brown / Murchison
DT Donald / Carter
JACK Hardy

MIKE Jones
WIL Rozeboom
SAM Zalkenburg

RCB Durant
LCB Rochell
SS Fuller
2 Deep Safety Shell Lake & Yeast

If Morris plays a two deep shell like I think he will then Fuller replaces Zalkenburg who in turn can replace Thomas behind Hoecht. Hardy's starting position is up for grabs and I think will be filled via the draft. The same can be said for the WIL position.

Morris could also move to a DL of:

DE Donald
NT Murchison
DT Carter
DE Hoecht

Morris wants to play a 4-2-5 as his base as he's been trending that way and could do it with Fuller as his hybrid SAM / SS. (Which is how he should have played Rapp)

I see their draft priorities as edge, CB, and ILB with speed to play in coverage to pair with Jones as it was with Wagner. It's why I think if the Rams nail their 1st three picks they can be a playoff team.

I think it's clear by the Rams allowing Gaines to walk they hope Murchison can fill the void. It remains to be seen if he can. He flashed enough to warrant optimism. Edge and ILB (coverage) to play the WIL position and CB are what I see as the most important needs defensively.

I honestly think they have the guys they want on the OL. It's a matter of getting them healed and properly coached up. This OL could be better than 2021 which had Edwards at LG. I see Thomas and even Jackson as an upgrade.

As long as Stafford and the WRs stay healthy this is a very good offense. Williams has shown he makes the Rams two deep at RB so adding a RB3 is all they need.

TEs are locked in IMO with Higbee, Long, and Hopkins. Hopkins has shown enough to warrant another year as TE3.

On defense, the DL will be totally rebuilt around Donald. I see Morris continuing to play his Fangio style combo front of a two gap NT (Brown) and one gap DE and DT with an OLB as their second DE. I think Morris will continue his 4-2-5 defense with Jones and a rookie ILB who hopefully will have the speed to cover as a replacement for Wagner.

If we are fortunate there will be no more of Kendrick starting. His poor play along with his poor attitude makes me wonder why he's still on the team. Hopefully, he won't be in September. Both Lake and Yeast have enough range if they are splitting the field as the deep safeties. Fuller proved he's good in the short to mid-range zones.

I expect them to go defense with all 3 day two picks. I don't see Snead trading out of those picks as two of them are at the top of their rounds.

If the FO was being honest about "seeing what they have on the roster" then there aren't a lot of starting positions to be filled. This is obviously looking like a setup year to 2024. At that point, they will know what their roster is and isn't and Snead can make moves accordingly.

The only wildcard IMO would be if Tanner McKee is on the board at 36. Pure pocket passers have gone out of vogue in the NFL with the exception of the Rams and maybe one or two teams. McKee would give the Rams not just a good backup but a QB to groom for the future which IMO won't be later than after the 2025 season at the very latest and maybe much sooner. He's a perfect fit for McVay's offense can make all the throws with accuracy and knows how to go through his progressions. He's as close as they can get to a rookie Stafford clone. If he drops into the low first round, do they move up and get him? I think they might.

Regardless, this team IMO can be a playoff team if they stay relatively healthy, especially at QB.
I think our Priorities are OLB and we need 2 not 1, a #1 CB which we will not find at best another #2, and OL especially at LT, LG maybe C. We will not find a LT worthy of drafting in the 2nd imo so this will be a big hole. We can maybe get OCyrus Torrence natural RG but a total star baller if he falls. We could get Will McDonald at OLB and there several others options, JMS at C would be great etc.

As I've said in many posts we are going to get slaughtered and I mean slaughtered with the current CB situation 1 maybe 2 that are average at best. Combined with no OLB rush and no sun support this will be a super bad defense. The Offense will be better than last year especially if we keep Robinson but doubtful to keep pace how bad this current defense is going to be. I literally see our defense to be rated 30th or worse similar to Detroit's last year.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ha! Ha! Den, there are no special teams.

Ride Pig GIF

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Shelton will long snap, Donald will punt, Rochell will kick FG's (they won't let him do anything else) and Kupp will be return man (we're used to his fair catches.)