My perfect offseason(long)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The offseason is getting closer and the Rams need a serious upgrade at the QB, WR and MLB positions. There are a few players I would love to have that I believe would take us over the top into the playoffs. So without further ado, my perfect offseason.

FA(March 9th)
Resign:
DE Williams Hayes
DE Eugene Sims
LB/S Mark Barron
CB Trumaine Johnson
CB Janoris Jenkins
FS Rodney McLeod

I really feel like we are set up with a group of guys who want to be here. Hayes and Sims should be able to both be signed to 3 year deals and retire Rams.

Mark Barron only works in our system. But he might be costly since he can play practically any position at a high level.

Johnson and Jenkins will be key. They are both a MUST resign. You can't draft players, develop them and then let them leave. Whatever is takes, these guys have to stay.

McLeod has turned into a great UDF and has become a top 10 safety in this league. He should still be relatively cheap.

Cut:
DE Chris Long
MLB James Laurinaitis
K Greg Zuerlein
RG Rodger Saffold
WR Brian Quick
WR Wes Welker
QB Case Keenum
TE Jared Cook

Yes, this is a big list. And a ton of key guys would be gone. However, this a new era of Rams football. We need fresh new faces who are going to shine in LA. CL91 and JL55 are very unfortunate losses. But necessary. They're not effective anymore and can be easily replaced. Gurley and Donald are the new leaders. So I'm not worried about that aspect.

I LOVE Young GZ, hence my username. I hoped more than anyone here that he would be great and break the distance record. But the dude is just not consistent or clutch enough. Talk all you want about the numerous 50+ yarders attempted. You can't continue to miss short kicks and expect to keep a job in this league. The life of a kicker is a tough one.

Not too much to say on Saffold. He's a warrior but he's been a liablility since he got here. The younger guys have to step up and play well and stay healthy.

Brian Effing Quick. Super disappointing. But we will expand on this later.

Welker is JAG. Runs good routes but just not the same guy anymore. Probably a product of Tom Brady.

I know, Keenum was annointed be starter going into the offseason. But he can and will be upgraded. Also more on this later.

GOODBYE FOREVER JARED COOK. DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YA.

Sign:
WR Alshon Jeffery
QB RG3
QB Chase Daniels
DE Jason Pierre-Paul
MLB Zach Brown
TE Dwayne Allen

This is probably a pretty bizarre FA to some of you. Looks extremely expensive but hear me out.

Alshon Jeffery will not ask for tons of money. The guy is super talented but he's injury prone. And I believe we sign him to a one year prove it deal worth around 5 million.

The RG3 saga is a head scratcher. The guy goes from dominating in his rookie season to looking below average after the ACL tear. He needs a new environment. He's still a very good athlete and has a good arm. We won't be asking him to do too much and I'm crossing my fingers that we still hire Mike Shannon as the OC. He knows how to use him but our QBs usually don't average more then about 25 attempts per game. He would be deadly in the Gurley and Austin combo.

I think we need to bring in tons of QB competition this year. This is most likely a make or break year for Jeff Fisher and he will want to do everything he can to provide upper echoleon QB play. Chase Daniels has been sitting on the bench far too long. Time to see what the kids got.

Jason Pierre-Paul is interesting. He wasn't great this year but it seems he wants out of NY and would be a major upgrade over Chris Long. Wouldn't it be great to have two outstanding DEs? He will probably not come cheap. I'm thinking we throw a 4 year deal worth 40 million at him and call it a day. We have plenty of cap dollars this offseason.

I have wanted Zach Brown since he came out of college. He's on a bad Tennesee team and would shine in this defense. Sideline to sideline guy and makes plays. Get it done Snisher.

Dwayne Allen isn't a great TE, but he would provide SOMETHING in that area. Still better then Cook. We need a guy who can catch.

Draft:
Round 1 pick 15
QB Carson Wentz
I just realized I could have wasted a lot less space by just writing about them below the name. But fuck it. This kid is the real deal. I think he can be the future. But you just don't know. That's why I go into camp with Wentz, RG3, Daniels and Mannion to battle it out. We HAVE to solve this position. It's been too freaking long. I'm going all in. He can throw deep, has great touch and runs like Tebow. A faster Roethlisberger if you will.
Round 2 pick 45(Eagles trade)
MLB Reggie Ragland
He might not last this far. But if he does, grab him. He was the best LB the nation this year IMO. We need our future 10 year starter. And I believe he's it. He has versatility as an edge rusher and is great in coverage. Some scouts say he's not a great athlete. But the dude is just a football player.
Round 2 pick 47
TE Austin Cooper,
Kinda nice we get picks in 2nd round so close. We need that big, fast receiving threat at TE that all the big shot teams have. He reminds me a lot of Greg Olsen. Wasn't given a ton of opportunities this year but is a great athlete. Him, Allen and Kendricks can fight it out in camp.

I'm only going 3 picks into the draft because A) I'm tired of typing and B) I havent seen the combine or anything to know further than this. I realize not everything on this will happen. And some of you will probably disagree with me but I really think these are possible signings and draft picks that will bring this team to the next level. Thanks for reading if you got this far. Go Rams.

jjab360

Legend
Sorry but you lost me at that FA tbh, seems like you just threw a bunch of big names up on a wall.

Also, you cut 4 players who are already FAs :LOL:

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quick, Zuerlein, Welker and Keenum are free agents no need to cut them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I respect the effort you put in but this isn't realistic if you factor in salary cap and the franchise tag. Plus, Ragland won't be there in the mid 2nd. He's a projected 1st round pick.

This is probably a pretty bizarre FA to some of you. Looks extremely expensive but hear me out.

Alshon Jeffery will not ask for tons of money. The guy is super talented but he's injury prone. And I believe we sign him to a one year prove it deal worth around 5 million.

I have heard you out and sorry but I don't buy it. Alshon Jeffery will ask for a lot of money if the Bears don't franchise him. And he'll get it. Like $10 million to $13 million a year over 5+ years type of money. He's not signing a one year "prove it" deal for $5 million. That's what we gave Fairley.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Ragland will not be there in the 2nd,he might not be there when our 1st pick comes up.I do agree that that we have to go all in with our QB problem.I also agree with a lot of the cuts you mentioned especially CL,JL and JC.And while getting Jeffery would be great he would be expensive. I'd rather sign most of our own players on defence JJ,TRU and Barron will be pro bowlers this year imho.We can't afford to lose our core players on D while the offensive problems are being worked on.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I respect the effort you put in but this isn't realistic if you factor in salary cap and the franchise tag. Plus, Ragland won't be there in the mid 2nd. He's a projected 1st round pick.

I have heard you out and sorry but I don't buy it. Alshon Jeffery will ask for a lot of money if the Bears don't franchise him. And he'll get it. Like $10 million to $13 million a year over 5+ years type of money. He's not signing a one year "prove it" deal for $5 million. That's what we gave Fairley.
Guys slide down to the 2nd all the time. Russell Wilson should have been a 1st rounder. He was drafted in the 3rd. I understand the height thing, but it happens. And Alshon may not get a one year deal. But the Bears voiced their concern on his ability to stay healthy. And sometimes that's all it takes. He's had two good seasons and was hurt most of the time. I wouldn't want to invest my future in someone who hasn't proven to stay healthy.

Releasing some of those guys will clear up lots of money. We should have a good chunk to spend.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Quick, Zuerlein, Welker and Keenum are free agents no need to cut them.
By cuts, I just mean don't resign them. I rather just group all the guys who won't be here next year together.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Yeah, doesn't look very realistic. Appreciate the effort, but that FA list isn't happening.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guys slide down to the 2nd all the time. Russell Wilson should have been a 1st rounder. He was drafted in the 3rd. I understand the height thing, but it happens. And Alshon may not get a one year deal. But the Bears voiced their concern on his ability to stay healthy. And sometimes that's all it takes. He's had two good seasons and was hurt most of the time. I wouldn't want to invest my future in someone who hasn't proven to stay healthy.

Releasing some of those guys will clear up lots of money. We should have a good chunk to spend.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7441/alshon-jeffery
CSN Chicago's John Mullin said the Bears are still "seriously interested" in a long-term deal with impending free agent WR Alshon Jeffery.
This seemed like a no-brainer before the season, but a myriad of soft-tissue injuries limited Jeffery to just nine games. He also struggled with weight problems in college, and Matt Forte appeared to take a veiled shot at Jeffery's work ethic away from the building last week. The issues are a concern, but the reality is the Bears cannot let Brandon Marshall and Jeffery escape in back-to-back offseasons. The smart money is on him signing a long-term extension with the Bears.

The Chicago Tribune's Brad Biggs would be "very surprised" if impending free agent Alshon Jeffery didn't return to the Bears.
"I'd expect a C on the side of his helmet," predicted Biggs. Biggs is plugged into the Bears and likely is basing his forecast on inside information. Jeffery was plagued by injuries in 2015, but he's not yet 26 years old and one of the game's most dominant receivers when healthy. We would not be surprised if the Bears strongly considered the franchise tag if long-term contract talks don't get anywhere with Jeffery.

We're not getting Jeffery on a 1 year $5 million deal. It's highly unlikely.

Russell Wilson should have been a first rounder in hindsight but he wasn't a projected first rounder. Yea, guys do slide but you could use that justification for having any first round prospect in the second. Getting Ragland in the mid second sounds too good to be true to me. JMO.

Releasing all those guys does give us a lot of cap to work with...but a good chunk of that cap will go to re-signing our own players. Which means we'll likely be able to sign 1 high priced FA and 1 moderately priced FA or 3 moderately priced FAs. We're not going to be able to sign 2 high priced FAs and another 2+ moderately priced FAs.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the effort. It was an interesting read.

But, in addition to comments already made by others, why cut an inexpensive Keenum? He could be our bridge QB until we establish our long term starter. Don't burn the lifeboat just yet, iow.

Also, why not use the draft to address WR, TE, and DE needs? FA's are fine if relied upon sparingly. But I think we can pick up starters at positional needs with our first 3 picks. Maybe first 4 picks.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Whoa Nellie!!!!! Just too much signing and cutting.....Love the radical thoughts... I'm playing Wentz week #1.... And Ragland isn't a 3 down LBer....He could fall to the 2nd...hell anybody can fall...but in 2016, we need 3 down lb'ers....I'm more into the Smith guy from ND, even tho his play to me was meh....I'll roll with the scouts on that one...
JJ & Tru....yes....Hayes yes...not so sure about Sims...maybe..he sure can run for a big man...Not cutting Long....I'm re-signing Quick for cheap...not touching anymore FA QB's....none of them...unless their name is ....no one....I'm not even cool with Bradford no more...I'd also draft a TE...guy from Bama would be optimal, but I'd take that kid outta East Carolina....Barron must be signed....He does too much. JL...not cutting him...re-structuring. Not cutting Cook, UNLESS he refuses to rework his contract. Keep the core intact, change the coaches. Add some talent in the draft. @Legatron4 who gives a rats ass who agrees with your work? Everyone here appreciates the effort and thoughts. Keeps this place alive... I do have a question, you'd reccomend JPP, RGIII, chase Daniels, and Alshon "a chesse burger away from 270 lbs" Jeffery get picked up? Why? JPP is basically finished as a force. RGIII is also a shell of his former self. Chase Daniels has "potential" but I still have seen much. Jeffery can't help us without a QB.....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At that point we should keep Keenum. We'll have a QB for every day of the week. Except Sunday... Lol

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Whoa Nellie!!!!! Just too much signing and cutting.....Love the radical thoughts... I'm playing Wentz week #1.... And Ragland isn't a 3 down LBer....He could fall to the 2nd...hell anybody can fall...but in 2016, we need 3 down lb'ers....I'm more into the Smith guy from ND, even tho his play to me was meh....I'll roll with the scouts on that one...
JJ & Tru....yes....Hayes yes...not so sure about Sims...maybe..he sure can run for a big man...Not cutting Long....I'm re-signing Quick for cheap...not touching anymore FA QB's....none of them...unless their name is ....no one....I'm not even cool with Bradford no more...I'd also draft a TE...guy from Bama would be optimal, but I'd take that kid outta East Carolina....Barron must be signed....He does too much. JL...not cutting him...re-structuring. Not cutting Cook, UNLESS he refuses to rework his contract. Keep the core intact, change the coaches. Add some talent in the draft. @Legatron4 who gives a rats ass who agrees with your work? Everyone here appreciates the effort and thoughts. Keeps this place alive... I do have a question, you'd reccomend JPP, RGIII, chase Daniels, and Alshon "a chesse burger away from 270 lbs" Jeffery get picked up? Why? JPP is basically finished as a force. RGIII is also a shell of his former self. Chase Daniels has "potential" but I still have seen much. Jeffery can't help us without a QB.....
Haha a lot of thought over months of time went into this. I just think this is a big offseason for us. We have the money and especially if we cut the right guys. I think signing some of those guys(I really meant we could have a chance to sign a couple of them but not every single one) would help them with a change of scenery. We HAVE to address the QB position by doing anything we can to upgrade it. If that means going out and signing a bunch of guys and drafting some then so be it. JPP might just be a good stop gap. Maybe I'm overrating him a bit. But it reminds me of when Mario Williams was a free agent. Nobody thought he would be back in form and he went to a couple Pro Bowls(I think).

This is the first year of LA since 1994. Make a splash and do anything and everything to get this fucking team in the playoffs.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7441/alshon-jeffery

We're not getting Jeffery on a 1 year $5 million deal. It's highly unlikely.

Russell Wilson should have been a first rounder in hindsight but he wasn't a projected first rounder. Yea, guys do slide but you could use that justification for having any first round prospect in the second. Getting Ragland in the mid second sounds too good to be true to me. JMO.

Releasing all those guys does give us a lot of cap to work with...but a good chunk of that cap will go to re-signing our own players. Which means we'll likely be able to sign 1 high priced FA and 1 moderately priced FA or 3 moderately priced FAs. We're not going to be able to sign 2 high priced FAs and another 2+ moderately priced FAs.
I personally don't think our CBs will get tons of money. Demoff is a legend at managing the cap so I'm not worried about it. Ragland would be a great thing and he might not fall but Champ mentioned he's not a 3 down linebacker so maybe we can do better.

PK15

UDFA
Not ready to give up on Quick just yet, so would like to resign him. Also think Keenum is good for plan B/some competition.

I think it's going to be tough to keep defense intact although, frankly, I wonder if the move to LA will be enticing to some players (as much as I hate to say it).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

OC Ram

If we cut Saffold, can we slide GRob in and draft a LT in the 1st? IDK but after seeing Havenstein handle the right side as a ROOKIE makes me ready to draft a LT high. Gurley would be much better off if we did. QB? whoever's the QB, he's going to appreciate the strength of our Oline!