My overall observations about the game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
I’m not too upset about the loss, I actually wanted to lose a game or two before the playoffs, I just think being undefeated would be too much pressure on such a young team in the playoffs, I tip my hat to the saints, they played well and capitalized on our mistakes, something we didn’t do to them, with that being said...

The reffing was unbelievably atrocious, the call on the Hekker fake was so horrible it’s not even funny. He was clearly over the line with his arm extended. The saints had 2 penalties for 20 yards, and 1 being the stupid cell phone penalty, so they played such a perfect game that they only had 1 penalty for 5 yards? Which was a defensive holding in the first if I remember correctly?

I saw Goff get hit below the knees, corners holding, o-line holding Donald, and a left guard get a .25 second head start on a play with no false start call, now on to our deficiencies...

McVay did pretty well overall for the most part, I have qualms with the play calling other than the last drive mostly, 3 & 2 in 4 down territory with only 6 in the box and you throw deep to cooks? Hand the ball to Gurley twice, he will get the first down with only 6 in the box...

Goff did well for the most part, his INT was his fault, but also a great play by the LB, he tried to look him off with his eyes, and did, but the LB was able to make a great play. Higbee dropping that Perfect td hurts too.
What isn’t acceptable is 3 & long, 5 mins left and Goff throws a 2 yard into the flats to Kupp, that one had me scratching my head, he’s young and will learn though.

The defense was disappointing in the first half, not a single stop besides that fumble. The second half they definitely stepped it up and made some adjustments. I hope for Peters sake that he is hurt, because if this is him, he’s losing a TON of money every time he gets burned. I’ve been overall pretty disappointed with Joyner this year after how great he was last year, we need Talib back badly. Brees in an expert at getting the ball quicky, I was surprised there wasn’t more press and blitzing in the first half with some zone to force some tight throws to get him out of sync with his receivers.

Overall, our mistakes in the first half came back to bite us in the end, although we still had to chance to come through and couldn’t. Again I tip my hat to the saints and their staff, they did a heck of a job and absolutely deserved the win. I’m looking for us to bounce back in a big way next week and make a statement against Seattle, let that d-line and Fowler take out their frustrations on Wilson next week, then get ready for the chiefs, proud of our boys and pumped for what’s to come! Been waiting a long time for our team to be good, it feels great, as always,

Go rams!

Last edited:

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Good assessment. A lot of things went wrong today, and it wasn't "all us". But we'll learn from it. The Saints did everything right. We didn't. And the Saints have a lot tougher path to get back to our house. There's no guarantee they will even win their division. I like the adjustments we made in the 2nd half. Almost took back the game.

fearsomefour

Legend
(I think this was the play before the 50/50 ball to Cooks)
Goff had a receiver wide open right in the middle of the field on 2nd and 2 and went to that right throw to Woods on the side line to try and stop the clock. I understand way but just get the first.
Have to score twice anyway at that time.
You could pick up 30 yards and kick the FG if you wanted.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the rams were always playing from behind today. it must wear down on the offense to always have to score every drive. they just ran out of juice at the end.

that bad spot really changed the momentum in the game. the rams had gained it and the refs took it away from them. can't be understated enough. so instead of the saints having to chase points it was the rams doing it all game.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Agree with the OP. My main beef with the refs is the score was 38-35 with about 4 minutes left in the game. It was 3rd down. Goff checks down to Cooper Kupp for a 4 yard gain. Kupp gets face masked on the play but the refs miss it. The Rams punt and the Saints get a 72 yard TD on 3rd and 7.

If the refs make the proper call, we have a 1st down at our own 40 with plenty of time to tie the game or get a TD. I'm not saying the refs cost us the game but they cost us an opportunity.

James Otto

Starter
Agree with the OP. My main beef with the refs is the score was 38-35 with about 4 minutes left in the game. It was 3rd down. Goff checks down to Cooper Kupp for a 4 yard gain. Kupp gets face masked on the play but the refs miss it. The Rams punt and the Saints get a 72 yard TD on 3rd and 7.

If the refs make the proper call, we have a 1st down at our own 40 with plenty of time to tie the game or get a TD. I'm not saying the refs cost us the game but they cost us an opportunity.

I get where you are coming from. For me, I cannot get over the Hekker first down.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

sorry man. i just went back and looked at it and the defender didn't touch the facemask.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
sorry man. i just went back and looked at it and the defender didn't touch the facemask.

He grabbed it. Let it go but if it was a Rams defender, you can bet the field would be yellow.

Maybe we're looking at a different play but I took a shot on my IPhone to show someone and the defender clearly has the facemask, even if he let it go.

Rainram

Starter
I don’t like the whole, “when the QB dives forward, he’s giving himself up”...so when Brees dove forward and wasn’t touched and fumbles the ball...oh well...play was dead.

If they’re gonna call that “giving himself up” they should spot it like they do when they slide feet first...the ball is spotted where you start the slide/dive.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t like the whole, “when the QB dives forward, he’s giving himself up”...so when Brees dove forward and wasn’t touched and fumbles the ball...oh well...play was dead.

If they’re gonna call that “giving himself up” they should spot it like they do when they slide feet first...the ball is spotted where you start the slide/dive.

It's BS. I can't stand that shit. They're taking advantage of another moronic rule change by the NFL. If he slides feet first, he's down where he starts the slide. If you're going to whistle the play dead when he dives, they need to kill the play where he starts the dive. Brees took advantage of that multiple times, and one of them resulted in a first he wouldn't have had otherwise. If Brees isn't down when he starts the dive, I better not see a yellow flag when a defender demolishes him in mid dive.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Sounds like a great game; can't wait to see it. Would prefer a tense drama like this compared to th Cards blowout! Thanks for all the writing you guys did!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like a great game; can't wait to see it. Would prefer a tense drama like this compared to th Cards blowout! Thanks for all the writing you guys did!

it really wasn't that great. there's nothing more frustrating than seeing the d torched continually. watching them miss tackles like it was their first time on the football field.

remember the bucs game on mnf in the 2000 season. this is it except it's brees as qb instead of some scrub. it's not fun screaming "tackle him" in frustration almost every down. also i'm pretty sure, when targeting peters, brees had a passer rating of 158.3

TexasRam

Legend
My observations:

If we Blitzed more we win the game easily.
If the Refs call the game right we win the game easily.
Talib will be needed for the Super Bowl win.
We can overcome 21 point deficit's very quickly.
Cooks is not a possession WR and should not be used like one on critical downs.
Peters approach needs a major overhaul or he needs to sit.
The Saints Oline is healthy and very solid.
The Saints players excel on turf. They were fish out of water against us last year.
We will get homefield advantage in the NFC. Mark it down.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I was up late last night and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet. So I'll give my abbreviated take on yesterday's game. The defense sucked. The offense didn't.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
I was up late last night and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet. So I'll give my abbreviated take on yesterday's game. The defense sucked. The offense didn't.
The Ram's D didn't play well enough for the Rams to deserve the win. But the biggest take from the game IMO, is the NFL officiating is horrendous. I want to watch the actual sport of football, fairly played and officiated, and not the incompetent and narrative-driven BS officiating of the sports entertainment NFL.