My Opinion: expect restructures or more cuts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

we have 1 million (30th) in cap space as of now..

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/27/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-march-26/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -march-26/</a>

A55VA6

Legend
Re: My Opinion: expect more cuts

Restructures or cuts are definitely expected. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything yet actually.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, I suspect we'll see something else come down the pike that will surprise us all. We need about $5M to sign our draft picks, and another (I think) $3M to keep as a contingency throughout the season. That's a lot of dough that KD has to come up with before September. I dunno how he's gonna do it, but you can bet he will.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Been waiting for the axe to fall.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Who would it be tho...either the player is a stud (Chris Long, JL) or a rookie/1st year player making hardly anything.

Harvey Dahl/Scott Wells...just create more holes on the OL.

Glad this isn't my job.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I'm surprised we are so close against the cap. We just had 16 million a few weeks ago.

We will probably convert either JL, Long, or Finnegan's salary to a bonus. The bonus will allow us to spread the money out over the course of the contract.

Would like to see some restructures tho

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
so, we currently have only 1mil for draft signings?

…..

Legend
DR RAM said:
Been waiting for the axe to fall.

that about sums it up....not sure we'll be overjoyed when it happens.

We're running out of places to get money. Dahl most likely if it gets that bad. Is Steve Smith off the books?

Sure does make the Chris Long and Sam Bradford contracts look pretty rediculous when you pan down the roster looking at salaries.

:(

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
libertadrocks said:
I'm surprised we are so close against the cap. We just had 16 million a few weeks ago.

We will probably convert either JL, Long, or Finnegan's salary to a bonus. The bonus will allow us to spread the money out over the course of the contract.

JL has an 11 million roster bonus coming up. Over the length of the contract (5 yrs), that turns an 11 million hit to 2.2.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I would like to see Bradford step up and restructure. If he wants the team to be able to become consistently competitive, he should absolutely be receptive to the idea. If Tom fucking Brady can do it, why can't Sam. Lets be honest here, he hasn't exactly earned every penny of that ridiculous contract so far. If he wants to remain a Ram, sign a new contract with an extension at a more cap friendly rate. That is assuming the Rams really do think he is the guy to lead this team for the long haul . Fire suit on....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
I would like to see Bradford step up and restructure. If he wants the team to be able to become consistently competitive, he should absolutely be receptive to the idea. If Tom fucking Brady can do it, why can't Sam. Lets be honest here, he hasn't exactly earned every penny of that ridiculous contract so far. If he wants to remain a Ram, sign a new contract with an extension at a more cap friendly rate. That is assuming the Rams really do think he is the guy to lead this team for the long haul . Fire suit on....
I think he should restructure too. I think the Rams should extend him another couple of years and reduce the overall number for the remaining three years of the existing contract. But. It's not like the Rams are the victims in all this. They're probably not sitting around saying, "Gee, do you think we should approach big bad Sam Bradford and maybe, I dunno, *shivers* ask him to <gulp> restructure?" lol. If they want to make his contract more tolerable, all they gotta do is TELL him that's what they're gonna do.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The Dude said:
Faceplant said:
I think he should restructure too. I think the Rams should extend him another couple of years and reduce the overall number for the remaining three years of the existing contract. But. It's not like the Rams are the victims in all this. They're probably not sitting around saying, "Gee, do you think we should approach big bad Sam Bradford and maybe, I dunno, *shivers* ask him to <gulp> restructure?" lol. If they want to make his contract more tolerable, all they gotta do is TELL him that's what they're gonna do.
Well isn't it time to extend him anyway?
This being his 4th year,you don't want to wait until his last year to do it do you?IF they are convinced he's the guy NOW is when to extend his contract and make it more cap friendly.
Don't want to make the mistake the Ravens did with Flacco and wait until his agent has all the cards.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
The Dude said:
Faceplant said:
Well isn't it time to extend him anyway?
This being his 4th year,you don't want to wait until his last year to do it do you?IF they are convinced he's the guy NOW is when to extend his contract and make it more cap friendly.
Don't want to make the mistake the Ravens did with Flacco and wait until his agent has all the cards.
Well, he's got his year and then 2014 & 2015. The cap hit this year is not as bad as the final two years. And when I say "not as bad", I mean that within the context of what nearly all starting pre-CBA-restructure QBs are making. I think the problem with Bradford's salary (as far as the fans are concerned) is that it doesn't even come close to being as cap-friendly as every other QB who was drafted post-CBA-restructure.

Thrawn

UDFA
The Dude said:
Faceplant said:
I would like to see Bradford step up and restructure. If he wants the team to be able to become consistently competitive, he should absolutely be receptive to the idea. If Tom freaking Brady can do it, why can't Sam. Lets be honest here, he hasn't exactly earned every penny of that ridiculous contract so far. If he wants to remain a Ram, sign a new contract with an extension at a more cap friendly rate. That is assuming the Rams really do think he is the guy to lead this team for the long haul . Fire suit on....

I'd actually worry a lot about restructuring Sam, unless it's mostly a paycut.

Right now, the team is in a position to cut their losses in 2014 if he doesn't improve or if something happens to Sam. Any restructure needs to maintain that flexibility.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thrawn said:
The Dude said:
Faceplant said:
I would like to see Bradford step up and restructure. If he wants the team to be able to become consistently competitive, he should absolutely be receptive to the idea. If Tom freaking Brady can do it, why can't Sam. Lets be honest here, he hasn't exactly earned every penny of that ridiculous contract so far. If he wants to remain a Ram, sign a new contract with an extension at a more cap friendly rate. That is assuming the Rams really do think he is the guy to lead this team for the long haul . Fire suit on....

I'd actually worry a lot about restructuring Sam, unless it's mostly a paycut.

Right now, the team is in a position to cut their losses in 2014 if he doesn't improve or if something happens to Sam. Any restructure needs to maintain that flexibility.
Well, clearly. I didn't say extend him with a $100M contract. But the only way you're going to clear cap space this year is to give him a very modest pay cut, defer some bonuses to next year, or extend him out further with a longer deal commensurate with what the top 15 QBs are making. Doesn't matter if he's viewed by fans as a top 15 QB either. This staff would know better than we would. *IF* they think he's the answer, and they're able to make that determination without the experienced insight of fans (and they can), then that's what they should do.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I thought Sams deal was a 5 year deal Dude are you counting an option year or a tag?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
I thought Sams deal was a 5 year deal Dude are you counting an option year or a tag?
Nope. 6 yr/78M

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ram Quixote said:
libertadrocks said:

JL has an 11 million roster bonus coming up. Over the length of the contract (5 yrs), that turns an 11 million hit to 2.2.

This is exactly what I expect is our fall back position.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As far as Bradford; it would have to be a win-win deal or why would he do it? More years at equal salary.

I mean, if Bradford was cut (not going to happen) he would get paid exactly what he is today or more. Several teams would be all over him.

He's not going to take a pay cut and neither would you - because he doesn't have to.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
As far as Bradford; it would have to be a win-win deal or why would he do it? More years at equal salary.

I mean, if Bradford was cut (not going to happen) he would get paid exactly what he is today or more. Several teams would be all over him.

He's not going to take a pay cut and neither would you - because he doesn't have to.
Well, technically the Rams have all the leverage right now. They *could* say, "We're gonna trim $5M out of your salary this year, because quite frankly, your production hasn't been commensurate with your wage." And they could do that. But here's why they won't do that.

(1) It's not that cut and dried. His production has been held back by the level of support and tools with which he's been provided. Be it through injury, poor drafting, or a really weak FA pool over the years. And Fisher knows that. Fisher said that. Snead said that. Demoff said that. The National Media has said that.

(2) You don't do that to the players you plan on keeping on the team for their entire career.