My IDEAL Rams 2014 OL Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
My IDEAL offseason for the Rams in regards to OL would be:

CUT: Scott Wells & Harvey Dahl (Relieves around $9.5M in cap)

RESIGN: Roger Saffold, Tim Barnes, & Shelly Smith

DRAFT: Jake Matthews & Gabe Jackson (or another top OG in rds 2 or 3)

2014 OL

LT: Jake Matthews, Saffold, Long (PUP)
LG: Gabe Jackson, Saffold, Smith
C: Tim Barnes, Jones
RG: Roger Saffold, Smith, Jones
RT: Joe Barksdale, Saffold

The Rams need to prepare as if Jake IS NOT going to return for the start of the year. Anything else would be foolish. Like many have stated above, Sam can't be expected to make great strides forward with a weaker OL. I think this would be the perfect combination of youth and vets. No OLers long in the tooth and the right side has plenty of experience working together. A young, athletic guard has been needed in STL for the longest time & Matthews can play LT until or IF Long returns. Imo if we find a legit replacement for Jake in 2014, he will be let go following the season, when he is no longer guaranteed any money. Collectively this would also be a relatively affordable unit. Matthews would likely make in the $2.5-$4M range, Jackson in the $400K-$700K range, Barnes $800K-$1M, Roger $5-$7M (maybe overpay to get him to stay, per game bonus), Barksdale $645K. Now given Long is due $9.25M in 2014, we need some cheaper guys to make up for his expensive price tag.

Cutting Wells & Dahl would free up almost $10M, which by itself would be enough to resign Roger, Barnes, & Smith (with some spare change). Not to mention $4M saved if we cut Finn & a salary cap growth of $1-$3M. A Sam resign/restructure could also alleviate some cap.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hard to argue. The oline must be priority one for the Rams this offseason.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
That's a fine looking line.

I still think if Saffold finds a team that wants him to play tackle (which is pretty likely) he'll be gone.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Hard to argue. The oline must be priority one for the Rams this offseason.
I totally agree! We seen what having a great o line has done this second half of the season! Its a must we get our O Line squared away then go from there. I wouldn't complain one bit with 24/7's O Line off season

Alan

Legend
I like your priorities in the draft but do you really want to keep Finnegan? :wow:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I could not argue any on what you have posted rams24/7. On defense we could get by just fine with what we have currently in the DL & LB units minus Dunbar but the secondary is in needs addressing. On offense is full of youth & talent in the RB/WR/TE units & are well endowed for 2014 leaving the large important OL contingent in need of major rebuilding.

Sure looks as though the investment in Scott Wells has soured due to injuries (2 back to back IR events) at a very large cap cost...Tim Barnes is bigger, younger, stronger, healthier & would come at a much lower cost of close to 4 mil in savings in that exchange once Barnes is signed...yes your on target there with the release of Wells!

I sure have liked Harvey Dahl's play since his arrival in 2011 but once I observe Rodger Saffold go to work & dominate from this ORG post in wk 10 I fully realized Harvey's play @ ORG had taken a deep declined. Sad but a pure business decision for me & you ..yes Harvey is due to be released when you save the most in cap $$ 4 mil. Your on target in the release of Harvey!

The resigning of starting OLG/ORG 26 yr old Shelley Smith is a must no matter what happens with the UFA issue of Saffold. So I would move on this period. I think he can be brought back as a Ram for a little under 1 mil to 900K in 2014. Your on target here. You could count on Shelley to start @ either of your vacant OG posts or he could be out first top reserve OG. Shelley has at one time or another filled all three of those spots for the Rams the last two yrs and did nothing but get better & stronger. Once again your on target!

The Rodger Saffold resigning is paramount once again bull-eye on target. If the Rams can over pay for a over-hyped CB along with a worn-down aging center & ORG then we sure can pay up for a dominating OG with a young injury history too. Once the Ram Org. knows the status of Rodger in 2014 then they can follow one of the two corrective action plans. hopefully the CAP with Rodger is the plan we go with otherwise the other is much bleaker & harder.

So in truth the Ram Org. would have to have two off season plans...one with Saffold one without. Most take the easier plan....like you did... the one with Saffold as a Ram ....the harder one is without Saffold! Question rams24/7 here have you a plan if Saffold signs elsewhere?

Guess I will have to work on that one too off the top of my one brain cell if Saffold is lost ... to trade the Skins #1 or#2 overall pick in a trade down or multiple trade downs for as many selections in this years draft. I would use the Rams own first pick to secure CB Darqueze Dennard to replace the released Cortland Finnegan, if possible & then go to work on several targeted selections of OT's i.e. (Kouandjio, Erving, Greg Robinson & Ogbuehi)& OG's who can play OT in relief if need be (David Yankey & Zach Martin).

Would rams24/7 consider resigning OG/OT Chris Williams due to his NFL starting experience @ 4 of the OL posts? I think he could be resigned once again for about 1.5 mil one good thing about him he stays healthy even though his play is not what we want. Once you loose Wells, Dahl & Saffold you loose a serious amount of starting game experience about 245 starts amongst those three alone. On top of than figure in possibility of the loss of OLT Jake Long for half a season too. Better have one heck of a plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my ideal line looks very similar, but this looks like a deep LT class, if Cleveland offered us their two 1st and third I'm willing to roll the dice on Matthews not being there.

If you are drafting a LT and expecting him to start do you consider cutting Long?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If you are drafting a LT and expecting him to start do you consider cutting Long?

Jake's 2014 season cap hit cost 9.25 mil with close to 16 mil in dead money remaining when the season begins. I'm not sure the Rams can release him with any type of cap savings involved this up coming season. Things change some in 2015 but not all that much. I try to get him fully healed up & stay it for the long haul.

I would not consider releasing Jake Long.

Its just a gamble you take in signing high cost free agents. I rarely see any advantage to the Rams when you insert the high cost UFA's... Cortland Finnegan, Jared Cook or a Scott Wells. Even the contract for Chris Long & JL for that matter. Very simply its just one very big GAMBLE & a roll of the dice.

Alan

Legend
Rams and Gators with a wildly optimistic scenario:
if Cleveland offered us their two 1st and third I'm willing to roll the dice on Matthews not being there.

I don't think there is much chance we can get that kind of haul for our #2 pick. I'd be happy with both their firsts or even their #6 and their 2nd and 3rd round picks. But it's sure gonna be fun finding out.

F. Mulder

Starter
For me. regarding the OL position especially, if the Rams see J. Mathews as an elite, stand-alone talent then you keep the pick and grab him. If you think he is slightly above, or even on par with some of the other OL you try to trade down and take one of those OL with a mid/lower 1st rd pick while still picking up another high round pick in the process.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
For me. regarding the OL position especially, if the Rams see J. Mathews as an elite, stand-alone talent then you keep the pick and grab him.

If you think he is slightly above, or even on par with some of the other OL you try to trade down and take one of those OL with a mid/lower 1st rd pick while still picking up another high round pick in the process.

I am of the mind that your last sentence is closer to the truth.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I could not argue any on what you have posted rams24/7. On defense we could get by just fine with what we have currently in the DL & LB units minus Dunbar but the secondary is in needs addressing. On offense is full of youth & talent in the RB/WR/TE units & are well endowed for 2014 leaving the large important OL contingent in need of major rebuilding.

Sure looks as though the investment in Scott Wells has soured due to injuries (2 back to back IR events) at a very large cap cost...Tim Barnes is bigger, younger, stronger, healthier & would come at a much lower cost of close to 4 mil in savings in that exchange once Barnes is signed...yes your on target there with the release of Wells!

I sure have liked Harvey Dahl's play since his arrival in 2011 but once I observe Rodger Saffold go to work & dominate from this ORG post in wk 10 I fully realized Harvey's play @ ORG had taken a deep declined. Sad but a pure business decision for me & you ..yes Harvey is due to be released when you save the most in cap $$ 4 mil. Your on target in the release of Harvey!

The resigning of starting OLG/ORG 26 yr old Shelley Smith is a must no matter what happens with the UFA issue of Saffold. So I would move on this period. I think he can be brought back as a Ram for a little under 1 mil to 900K in 2014. Your on target here. You could count on Shelley to start @ either of your vacant OG posts or he could be out first top reserve OG. Shelley has at one time or another filled all three of those spots for the Rams the last two yrs and did nothing but get better & stronger. Once again your on target!

The Rodger Saffold resigning is paramount once again bull-eye on target. If the Rams can over pay for a over-hyped CB along with a worn-down aging center & ORG then we sure can pay up for a dominating OG with a young injury history too. Once the Ram Org. knows the status of Rodger in 2014 then they can follow one of the two corrective action plans. hopefully the CAP with Rodger is the plan we go with otherwise the other is much bleaker & harder.

So in truth the Ram Org. would have to have two off season plans...one with Saffold one without. Most take the easier plan....like you did... the one with Saffold as a Ram ....the harder one is without Saffold! Question rams24/7 here have you a plan if Saffold signs elsewhere?

Guess I will have to work on that one too off the top of my one brain cell if Saffold is lost ... to trade the Skins #1 or#2 overall pick in a trade down or multiple trade downs for as many selections in this years draft. I would use the Rams own first pick to secure CB Darqueze Dennard to replace the released Cortland Finnegan, if possible & then go to work on several targeted selections of OT's i.e. (Kouandjio, Erving, Greg Robinson & Ogbuehi)& OG's who can play OT in relief if need be (David Yankey & Zach Martin).

Would rams24/7 consider resigning OG/OT Chris Williams due to his NFL starting experience @ 4 of the OL posts? I think he could be resigned once again for about 1.5 mil one good thing about him he stays healthy even though his play is not what we want. Once you loose Wells, Dahl & Saffold you loose a serious amount of starting game experience about 245 starts amongst those three alone. On top of than figure in possibility of the loss of OLT Jake Long for half a season too. Better have one heck of a plan.

Obviously this is my IDEAL 2014 OL offseason so I didn't think too much about if Saffold signs elsewhere. If he does I may use the money vacated from the Wells & Dahl releases to sign the top FA OG in Asamoah, even if we have to overpay. I haven't done too much research yet on the rookie OG class, so all I know now is that I want the Rams to target one in rounds 2 or 3. I could also see a scenario where we trade out of #2 overall, but if we stayed put Matthews is the logical pick. I would be fine adding a prospect with LT potential in the mid 1st or mid 2nd, if we don't add Matthews. To me its important to add insurance for Jake Long both in the short and long term; and I'd prefer it to be young (smaller cap #).

Again Saffold would be an ideal resign because not only is he a swing tackle he can start at RG and backup LG. He is a swing OL!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Obviously this is my IDEAL 2014 OL offseason so I didn't think too much about if Saffold signs elsewhere. If he does I may use the money vacated from the Wells & Dahl releases to sign the top FA OG in Asamoah, even if we have to overpay. I haven't done too much research yet on the rookie OG class, so all I know now is that I want the Rams to target one in rounds 2 or 3. I could also see a scenario where we trade out of #2 overall, but if we stayed put Matthews is the logical pick. I would be fine adding a prospect with LT potential in the mid 1st or mid 2nd, if we don't add Matthews. To me its important to add insurance for Jake Long both in the short and long term; and I'd prefer it to be young (smaller cap #).

Again Saffold would be an ideal resign because not only is he a swing tackle he can start at RG and backup LG. He is a swing OL!
Undertsand your IDEAL. Its good!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would love to draft Jake Matthews, however, I do believe the Rams will trade down and I don't believe they will start 2014 with two rookies on the left side no matter how good they are. IMO they restructure Dahl for one more year cut Finnegan for cap relief and under rams 24/7 scenario start the season like this.

LT..Saffold
LG...Jackson
C...Barnes
RG...Dahl
RT...Matthews

When Long comes back he starts at LT and Saffold moves to RG Dahl will restructure again to a cap friendly deal and you don't start the season with two rookies on the left side. Also I would not be shocked if Barrett Jones does get much stronger in the off season he beats out Barnes at center, but I have been impressed with Barnes thus far.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would love to draft Jake Matthews, however, I do believe the Rams will trade down and I don't believe they will start 2014 with two rookies on the left side no matter how good they are. IMO they restructure Dahl for one more year cut Finnegan for cap relief and under rams 24/7 scenario start the season like this.
LT..Saffold,LG...Jackson,C...Barnes,RG...Dahl,RT...Matthews
When Long comes back he starts at LT and Saffold moves to RG Dahl will restructure again to a cap friendly deal and you don't start the season with two rookies on the left side. Also I would not be shocked if Barrett Jones does get much stronger in the off season he beats out Barnes at center, but I have been impressed with Barnes thus far.

Happy Holidays den, I agree I consider it highly probable that Snead continues to trade down. I also agree that the Rams would not plan to start any rookies on the OL. I expect Long to miss @ least the first half of the 2014 season games...So Rams will have to get a plan for a new starting OLT in 2014. I also believe that resigning ORG/Swing OT Saffold is highly doubtful, thus a need for a Swing OT & a starting ORG. Dahl has not been effective this season & I do not see Harvey in the Rams future even with a restructure. If for some reason Shelley Smith does not start @ ORG this week and Dahl gets one more chance to play you will not see any blocks (Pass or run) being produced by him @ the ORG post.

I foresee the Rams resigning veteran UFA Chris Williams instead to start back into his current LG post. CW can also help out as a emergency Swing OT. I also foresee that the Rams only bonafied OT who will be available to play in 2014 Joe Barksdale will start @ OLT until Jake Long returns. I foresee current starters Smith & Barnes being resigned & starting in their current starting posts in 2014. This leaves only one Ram OL position open @ ORT. This is where I foresee 2nd yr OL'er Barrett Jones getting the nod @ the starting ORT post until Jake Long returns healthy and relieves Barksdale @ OLT so he can return back to the ORT post.

OLT- Barksdale/*Williams (Rookie OT Draft Choice)
OLG- *Williams/Washington
OC- Barnes/*B.Jones
ORG- S.Smith/Persons
ORT- *B.Jones/*Williams (Rookie OT Draft Choice)

*denotes Ol'ers who will work in several posts

With this projected initial 2014 OL like I said it would result in only one new starter. Plus it would not start any rookies. This is not a strong OL in fact its a poor one, but its a healthy one. But in truth due to the lack of Snead & Fishers attention in the last two drafts where zero OL'ers were drafted in 2012 & 2013, in the first two days of the three day drafts.....placed the Rams into this situation. Snead will be shopping for some UFA OL'ers who might want to take a chance as a Ram UFA OL...even though there is a active curse that mandates all Ram signed UFA OL'ers go down to injury & one time or more.

nighttrain

Legend
My IDEAL offseason for the Rams in regards to OL would be:

CUT: Scott Wells & Harvey Dahl (Relieves around $9.5M in cap)

RESIGN: Roger Saffold, Tim Barnes, & Shelly Smith

DRAFT: Jake Matthews & Gabe Jackson (or another top OG in rds 2 or 3)

2014 OL

LT: Jake Matthews, Saffold, Long (PUP)
LG: Gabe Jackson, Saffold, Smith
C: Tim Barnes, Jones
RG: Roger Saffold, Smith, Jones
RT: Joe Barksdale, Saffold

The Rams need to prepare as if Jake IS NOT going to return for the start of the year. Anything else would be foolish. Like many have stated above, Sam can't be expected to make great strides forward with a weaker OL. I think this would be the perfect combination of youth and vets. No OLers long in the tooth and the right side has plenty of experience working together. A young, athletic guard has been needed in STL for the longest time & Matthews can play LT until or IF Long returns. Imo if we find a legit replacement for Jake in 2014, he will be let go following the season, when he is no longer guaranteed any money. Collectively this would also be a relatively affordable unit. Matthews would likely make in the $2.5-$4M range, Jackson in the $400K-$700K range, Barnes $800K-$1M, Roger $5-$7M (maybe overpay to get him to stay, per game bonus), Barksdale $645K. Now given Long is due $9.25M in 2014, we need some cheaper guys to make up for his expensive price tag.

Cutting Wells & Dahl would free up almost $10M, which by itself would be enough to resign Roger, Barnes, & Smith (with some spare change). Not to mention $4M saved if we cut Finn & a salary cap growth of $1-$3M. A Sam resign/restructure could also alleviate some cap.
two rooks on the left side? it's a stretch
train

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Happy Holidays den, I agree I consider it highly probable that Snead continues to trade down. I also agree that the Rams would not plan to start any rookies on the OL. I expect Long to miss @ least the first half of the 2014 season games...So Rams will have to get a plan for a new starting OLT in 2014. I also believe that resigning ORG/Swing OT Saffold is highly doubtful, thus a need for a Swing OT & a starting ORG. Dahl has not been effective this season & I do not see Harvey in the Rams future even with a restructure. If for some reason Shelley Smith does not start @ ORG this week and Dahl gets one more chance to play you will not see any blocks (Pass or run) being produced by him @ the ORG post.

And the very happiest of holidays to you too my Ram brother. Not sure about Barksdale at LT IMO if the Rams are unable to keep Saffold they go with Matthews if available in round one and start him until Long gets back. Barksdale at RT then to swing tackle with the return of Long. As to LG maybe they find another veteran you could be right about Williams, however, IMO the Rams want a permanent solution at LG.

In the broad scheme of things starting rookies on the left side seems like it would not happen, however, Barksdale/Williams vs. Matthews/Jackson IMO I roll the dice with the kids which makes rams 24/7 post seem plausible, however, he had Saffold returning and if that's the case they would have Saffold start at LT over the rookie Matthews IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I want to trade down, but the Mathews pedigree is the real deal.

He's a less flashy choice, but dude will be an anchor on the line for many years to come! That's worth a LOT!

PhxRam

If the Rams don't have Safford signed by Draft day, don't you think they are tipping their hand?