My idea of our ideal '16 scenario...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here is my dream organizational chart.

Kroenke is our owner and not going anywhere. For better or worse. Lots of good traits but winning games is not high enough on his priority list to suit me. But he's the owner so let's just accept him and move on.

Demoff as CFO (or whatever his title is) is among the very best in the league. Wouldn't dream of replacing him. He stays.

GM should be a good talent evaluator for both draft and FA signings. Being good at trades is very helpful. Finding gems late and in UDFA is a big plus. Frankly, I think Snead checks all these boxes. I would promote him and have the new HC report to him. No more tail wagging the dog BS. Snead stays.

HC is where the rubber meets the road and our current problems really begin. Fisher is gone at season's end. Demoff and Snead collaborate on selecting and hiring the new HC. Ideally, the new HC is a CEO type with at least the good sense to understand that his team needs to be strong in all 3 phases to prosper in today's NFL. Some familiarity with the other side of the ball beyond his primary coaching background. Willing and able to hire strong creative coaching minds with a positive track record on their side of the ball. I mean both positional results and having demonstrated player development skills. Then give each coordinator the reins while getting out of their damned way. Approve general game plans and monitor progress, of course, but turn them loose once they are hired. No handcuffs. No micromanaging. Let his coordinators have lots of say in hiring their various asst coaches.

I would keep GW, if possible. To the point that if a new HC candidate stated that he couldn't work with GW it would probably disqualify the HC candidate. I said "probably". If the HC candidate impresses enough, well... There are other DC's out there that could manage our current collection of D players.

The OC decision is critical since that area is the source of almost all of our current woes. Must be strong, have proven positive results at his previous position, understands both the running and passing game. I would want to see tangible and recent examples of above average player development. Would want to see evidence of his previous position group consistently exceeding expectations on the field vs it's opponents. Knowledge of today's passing game would be a must. Able to adapt his schemes to the talents of our players.

So that's it. My rough idea of a great organizational chart for the Rams for '16 and beyond.

I strongly believe that the Rams are a dream opportunity for the next HC. A deep pocketed and hands off owner, Demoff to manage the cap beautifully, Snead to continue finding talent, and autonomy in football team matters (including allowing the hiring the best of the best in coordinators and asst coaches without salary restrictions). Two of the 3 phases already at playoff level.

Dang! What more could any reasonable HC candidate ask for? Eggs in his beer?

My point? It's twofold.

1) First, we may be only the hiring of the right HC away from becoming serious playoff contenders for years and years.

2) We shouldn't "settle" when hiring said HC. Get the best of the best while we're at it and pay him whatever it takes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well IF Kroenke keeps Fish on for that fifth season, he needs to demand a change at OC and perhaps some of the other offensive staff. Accountability needs to happen somewhere and it is very clear to me that this staff is not up to snuff on that side of the ball. At that point I think Kroenke will give Fish approval for enough money to sign whatever OC he wants, in other words money will not be the problem. What would likely stand in the way of a top OC is Fish being on the ropes in his last season of his contract, so if Kroenke extends him that means he believes Fish can win with a better OC and is demonstrating that he's gonna be in place so he can attract a top guy.

If Fish is fired then there's no doubt about it, I want Snead to stay. But as an owner you cannot bring in a top coach if you are gettin all into who he hires on his staff right from the beginning. It is normal to ask them during their interviews who they plan to hire, but a top coach is not going to want to work for an owner that is going to get all into his business from day one. If I am interviewing a head coach and they're listing guys that are old friends as OC, for example, I scratch him off my list plain and simple. Great coaches will not be afraid of hiring guys they don't know, or guys who come with a lot of prestige. Zimmer, for example, earned a lot of respect from me when he brought in Norv Turner, who is far more experienced than he is and who many new head coaches might see as a threat.

Basically from where I'm sitting... IF I were the owner I would probably fire Fisher because I don't think he will bring in a top OC and it is without question needed. But at the same time I am a big fan of Fisher as a head coach. He has most of those things you want from a long-term head coach in terms of his ability to handle his team and get them to play hard. He has a good eye for talent particularly on defense and that's something that can be overlooked with a HC since they do affect an organization's drafting. He just can't hire a good OC to save his life. So I am torn a bit admittedly.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
mike martz comes back and recruits Kurt Warner out of retirement and we go on a Super Bowl run. there's my dream (y)

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Got any candidates for those positions?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My Idea about 2016!?! Worry about it in 2016. We have 5 more games to play in 2015!!!
It ain't over until the Fat Lady Sings!!(y)

GO RAMS!!
addon.jpg

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Yeah if Payton and Williams could bury the hatchet, that'd be pretty incredible. I just don't see that scenario shaking out.

I'd be curious to see who Gase would tab as a DC if he got a job as HC.

DenverRam

Starter
heres my dream.

Kroenke loses ownership of Rams to Marshall Faulk.

:)

Only then a team will be removed from mediocrity.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If we hire a new HC, he needs to be an offensive guy. Then we can keep GW and the defense won't skip a beat. I agree about keeping Snead, he's done a good job for the most part.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
My ideal scenario is a winning season. But that might not be realistic.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Here is my dream organizational chart.

Kroenke is our owner and not going anywhere. For better or worse. Lots of good traits but winning games is not high enough on his priority list to suit me. But he's the owner so let's just accept him and move on.

Demoff as CFO (or whatever his title is) is among the very best in the league. Wouldn't dream of replacing him. He stays.

GM should be a good talent evaluator for both draft and FA signings. Being good at trades is very helpful. Finding gems late and in UDFA is a big plus. Frankly, I think Snead checks all these boxes. I would promote him and have the new HC report to him. No more tail wagging the dog BS. Snead stays.

HC is where the rubber meets the road and our current problems really begin. Fisher is gone at season's end. Demoff and Snead collaborate on selecting and hiring the new HC. Ideally, the new HC is a CEO type with at least the good sense to understand that his team needs to be strong in all 3 phases to prosper in today's NFL. Some familiarity with the other side of the ball beyond his primary coaching background. Willing and able to hire strong creative coaching minds with a positive track record on their side of the ball. I mean both positional results and having demonstrated player development skills. Then give each coordinator the reins while getting out of their damned way. Approve general game plans and monitor progress, of course, but turn them loose once they are hired. No handcuffs. No micromanaging. Let his coordinators have lots of say in hiring their various asst coaches.

I would keep GW, if possible. To the point that if a new HC candidate stated that he couldn't work with GW it would probably disqualify the HC candidate. I said "probably". If the HC candidate impresses enough, well... There are other DC's out there that could manage our current collection of D players.

The OC decision is critical since that area is the source of almost all of our current woes. Must be strong, have proven positive results at his previous position, understands both the running and passing game. I would want to see tangible and recent examples of above average player development. Would want to see evidence of his previous position group consistently exceeding expectations on the field vs it's opponents. Knowledge of today's passing game would be a must. Able to adapt his schemes to the talents of our players.

So that's it. My rough idea of a great organizational chart for the Rams for '16 and beyond.

I strongly believe that the Rams are a dream opportunity for the next HC. A deep pocketed and hands off owner, Demoff to manage the cap beautifully, Snead to continue finding talent, and autonomy in football team matters (including allowing the hiring the best of the best in coordinators and asst coaches without salary restrictions). Two of the 3 phases already at playoff level.

Dang! What more could any reasonable HC candidate ask for? Eggs in his beer?

My point? It's twofold.

1) First, we may be only the hiring of the right HC away from becoming serious playoff contenders for years and years.

2) We shouldn't "settle" when hiring said HC. Get the best of the best while we're at it and pay him whatever it takes.
Good luck with all that....

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Ideally? Ok well you asked...

2016 NFC West standings

St Louis 16-0(6-0)
Seattle 2-14(2-4)
Arizona 2-14(2-4)
San Fran 2-14(2-4)

giphy.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My ideal scenario:
New coaching staff with a bright offensive mind (if not the HC, at least a bright OC)
New QB to give us all hope
Some improvements to the offense (OG, reliable WR, upgrade at TE)
Keep defense mainly in place

fearsomefour

Legend
The problem is it is going to be hard to get a coach to want to come here with no QB and no prospect of one. You may be able to pay your way to the coach you want but maybe not. Also, each coach is going to have his own approach and may not want Williams to run the D. Saying that the DC has to stay may be a deal breaker for many candidates.
It will be interesting to see if anything happens.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The problem is it is going to be hard to get a coach to want to come here with no QB and no prospect of one. You may be able to pay your way to the coach you want but maybe not. Also, each coach is going to have his own approach and may not want Williams to run the D. Saying that the DC has to stay may be a deal breaker for many candidates.
It will be interesting to see if anything happens.

Gotta disagree, fearsome.

Any HC candidate that was scared off by an apparent lack of a current starting QB would be undeserving of consideration in the first damned place. As to prospects of one, we have a high 1st rounder, don't we? And two very high 2nds to either use as a QB pick or in a trade up in the 1st?

And I didn't say retaining GW was a deal breaker IF the HC candidate was sufficiently impressive. But let me turn the tables on you. What kind of HC candidate wouldn't at least CONSIDER retaining a DC like GW?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I would LOVE Sean Peyton and Drew Brees to come here. I doubt it would ever happen though.

FRO

Legend
I do not see many changes coming. I think Fisher is safe for some reason. I also see Foles back and they may draft a rookie in the first or second round to compete with him. I don't see big sweeping changes. Hope I'm wrong.

What I hope happens is Kroenke sells the Rams. His team's are known for their mediocrity. If he wanted to build perennial winners, he could because he has the money. Bottom line is owning a sports team is good business and Kroenke is a good business man. He runs his team's as a business and does a great job of it. The problem is running your team like a business isn't always good for wins and losses.

Snead and Fisher built the roster. We need to turn the page on both of them. They had 4 years and some premium picks to build this thing, and they failed.