My current views on our difficult offseason decisions...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO, the only way Barron returns is if he takes a home team discount or Ogletree is moved to MLB.
No telling how all this works out its so fluid with so many Ram main defensive players involved in free agency. Mark Barron is sure to think that he could be a impact player on a number of teams as a in the box strong safety. Or .....look at AZ & their inserted DB Deon Bucannon (6-1/211 lbs) in @ ILB'er with great results. Teams could be looking at copycatting the Cards major success in 2016. Both Barron (6-2/214lbs) & Bucannon are former #1 picks.

I would tend to think right now that there is bigger $$$ for Mark Barron playing a form of Lb'er than there is being one of the many dozens of in the box safeties looking for work. Looks to me that if the Rams think he can be their starting OLB'er for many yrs to come then there could be an offering here for Barron but only as a Lb'er not strong safety.
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...aitis-at-slb-in-2016.42020/page-2#post-683873

Another thing I going to be watching is the needed 2016 DE Chris Long cap $$$ (hanging low fruit) for a release casualty that $$ has to go for retainment of Ram UFA's. Then they have to try to sign Hayes or Sims. If they fail then they are down 3 starting DE's.

If that slim chance scenario takes place you could see an opening at OSLB'er for Barron, where Akeem Ayers (6-3 260 lbs) would move into a DE rotation position in 2016. One of the best skills that Ayers has is a good burst off the snap as a standup & hand-down rusher. He has shown to be capable of crossing the face of the tackle. He also has good flexibility & balance to scrape the corner & close quickly. Ayers mainly uses his burst & speed.

That would give the Rams 4 DE's on the roster early in 2016....Westbrook & Longacre on the left & Quinn & Ayers on the right. Thus providing a starting post for Barron with JL & tree. Just some random thoughts thrown out here.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Your plan relies too heavily on bringing back players from a mediocre team 43.

For starters re: the CBs there is no way I would bring back both. Pick one, keep him around even if you gotta franchise him. If they choose Jenks he might need to be franchised until a contract gets settled. My fear with Jenks is he will tank with a big payday, but with Tru you have a guy who is more injury prone so they'll probably go with Jenks.

McLeod depends on whether he prices himself out. If he wants a big payday he's gone. Why? Depth. Rams have a lot of faith in McDonald and that is what matters in this equation. He will replace McLeod for a fraction of the cost and might make the secondary better. Alexander moves in to the other safety spot.

Barron I agree is a must-sign. He is just too good a fit for Williams, and if he leaves for more money elsewhere he's a moron. Why? Because a guy like him is very dependent on scheme. Hopefully he knows this now, after bring kicked to the curb in Tampa, and will work with the Rams to get a good payday without gettin stupid about it.

Rams are gonna have some serious cap casualties to clear room, and of that list I think only JL survives and even then it will require a restructure of his contract to minimize cap figure. They might do the same with Long, but I have a feeling Chris will want to taste a winning franchise and a cut might be the way they go. Either way, again, they're gonna trim some serious fat.

My biggest question is which QB do they want. IF it's Goff, they're gonna have to move way up and while many have problems with that I do not. My only caveat is I want to keep one of those 2nd round picks (preferably both) because there will be some very good young WRs that will help this team there. If it's a guy like Wentz they might still need to move up but it won't be as high and thus as prohibitive in price. I honestly don't care which way they go, as long as they ADDRESS THE EFFIN POSITION. If they turn their nose up at QB Imma lose it. I really hope Kelly declares, because he's the kind of wildcard who deepens the position and might be had later with options like Hogan. That helps the Rams whether they get him later or whether a team drafting ahead of him elects to wait a bit before addressing the position.

Anyway. On the DL I would add Williams in FA. He should be a "buy low" guy this offseason and will shine in the Rams 4-3 one gap, aggressive scheme. That's really all this defense needs since they have enough at LB given all the packaging Williams does. If Barron walks it will affect their draft strategy a bit where LB will go up in priority IMO but still it should be behind offense particularly pass-impacting TEs and WRs.

Even if the defense loses talent, they're gonna be better next year IF they fix the offense.