My current views on our difficult offseason decisions...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
If somehow Demoff can keep both Jenkins and TruJo, it would be a coup. And send a powerful and positive message to other up and coming future Ram homegrown FA's in the process.

Both are young yet have 4 years of quality experience. Both seem to be ascending players. Both are known quantities while even a 1st round CB is only a 50-50 success proposition. Plus their signings enables S&F to focus on other needs. Sure hope that Demoff can pull it off, even if it means sacrifices elsewhere.

I believe that QB is our biggest need. But I also believe that it might be effectively addressed via draft, FA, or possibly a trade. The good news is that we don't need a superstar QB to win games. Not with our D and ST, anyway. We do need efficiency and consistency. Those types of QB's do exist. Our FO just has to explore every single possibility.

I agree that Barron should be a high priority signing. He's a helluva playmaker in this GW D. We cannot let such a player get away.

I'm fairly certain that McLeod will be retained. He's won me over.

Hayes has to be resigned. Sims would be nice, but there is a limit to cap dollars available for our D. I will say that Sims played a helluva game vs the Seahawks. Hayes got the sacks and attention, but Sims was causing penalties by Bailey that killed the Seahawks time after time plus Sims caused that critical late fumble by Wilson. Across the entire field, mind you.

I kinda think that J Lau and Long's future replacements will come in this draft. In fact, unless Long accepts a drastic pay cut, I think he should be a goner.

Defense would then be set for '16. And should be a top 5 unit, at that.

I do NOT favor trading up for either a QB or for Treadwell in the 1st. Value doesn't appear to be there for us at either position. We need the picks to acquire starters that will fall to us at several positions.

I expect to see new starters at WR and TE via the draft. Maybe DE, too. I think they keep Britt for at least another year, but the release of Cook for cap savings wouldn't be any surprise. A QB that they like may fall and be drafted, but I don't foresee him starting on opening day.

I don't see them drafting OL before Day 3. Maybe not even then. I feel cautiously optimistic about our OL for '16 once Brown returns. It's probably gonna be GRob, Brown, Barnes, Wichmann, and Hav. Saffold might well be released. Would be a $3 million net cap saving and Saffold just can't be relied upon.

For those fretting about GRob at LOT, I don't know what to tell you. Other than learn to deal with it. If Fisher stays, GRob will be our starting LOT. Reason I don't see a drafted LT? Battle and Williams are waiting in the wings, if necessary.

If Fisher stays, I think Boras is 90% likely our OC next year. I also think that Boras will install some new wrinkles in our O once he has a whole offseason to do so. And they will make our O more effective and more unpredictable. I predict that Gurley will have a monster year with Boras' new wrinkles plus behind an ascending OL.

Offense fixed. At least raised to the level of league average, which is all we really need in order to be in the playoff conversation.

Didn't expect such a long post. It became a stream of consciousness thing. Lol.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Great to hear Rodney McLeod has won you over !! I still remember getting blasted by Jim Thomas in the Q&A he does when I suggested the rookie special teamer out of Virginia get a shot to play safety!
I've always like McLeod!
I hope he's a Ram for many more years

A55VA6

Legend
I believe the Rams will do a good job. We won't retain everyone.. but I think they'll make smart decisions. Tru/Jenks is #1 priority.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If somehow Demoff can keep both Jenkins and TruJo, it would be a coup. And send a powerful and positive message to other up and coming future Ram homegrown FA's in the process.

Both are young yet have 4 years of quality experience. Both seem to be ascending players. Both are known quantities while even a 1st round CB is only a 50-50 success proposition. Plus their signings enables S&F to focus on other needs. Sure hope that Demoff can pull it off, even if it means sacrifices elsewhere.

I believe that QB is our biggest need. But I also believe that it might be effectively addressed via draft, FA, or possibly a trade. The good news is that we don't need a superstar QB to win games. Not with our D and ST, anyway. We do need efficiency and consistency. Those types of QB's do exist. Our FO just has to explore every single possibility.

I agree that Barron should be a high priority signing. He's a helluva playmaker in this GW D. We cannot let such a player get away.

I'm fairly certain that McLeod will be retained. He's won me over.

Hayes has to be resigned. Sims would be nice, but there is a limit to cap dollars available for our D. I will say that Sims played a helluva game vs the Seahawks. Hayes got the sacks and attention, but Sims was causing penalties by Bailey that killed the Seahawks time after time plus Sims caused that critical late fumble by Wilson. Across the entire field, mind you.

I kinda think that J Lau and Long's future replacements will come in this draft. In fact, unless Long accepts a drastic pay cut, I think he should be a goner.

Defense would then be set for '16. And should be a top 5 unit, at that.

I do NOT favor trading up for either a QB or for Treadwell in the 1st. Value doesn't appear to be there for us at either position. We need the picks to acquire starters that will fall to us at several positions.

I expect to see new starters at WR and TE via the draft. Maybe DE, too. I think they keep Britt for at least another year, but the release of Cook for cap savings wouldn't be any surprise. A QB that they like may fall and be drafted, but I don't foresee him starting on opening day.

I don't see them drafting OL before Day 3. Maybe not even then. I feel cautiously optimistic about our OL for '16 once Brown returns. It's probably gonna be GRob, Brown, Barnes, Wichmann, and Hav. Saffold might well be released. Would be a $3 million net cap saving and Saffold just can't be relied upon.

For those fretting about GRob at LOT, I don't know what to tell you. Other than learn to deal with it. If Fisher stays, GRob will be our starting LOT. Reason I don't see a drafted LT? Battle and Williams are waiting in the wings, if necessary.

If Fisher stays, I think Boras is 90% likely our OC next year. I also think that Boras will install some new wrinkles in our O once he has a whole offseason to do so. And they will make our O more effective and more unpredictable. I predict that Gurley will have a monster year with Boras' new wrinkles plus behind an ascending OL.

Offense fixed. At least raised to the level of league average, which is all we really need in order to be in the playoff conversation.

Didn't expect such a long post. It became a stream of consciousness thing. Lol.
Very well thought out piece! (y)

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
What sucks about free agency is that teams overpay for players. Corners are a hot item every offseason. Worries me that they will take more money and leave. There are 17 restricted or unrestricted players this offseason. It could very well be the most important offseason in a very long time. Not to mention players like Long, JL, Cook, Saffold who could be cut for various reasons. I'm slightly worried to be honest.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Jenkins, Johnson and Barron are the top priorities, IMO. If they want to come back next year and be a top ten defense they need those three. Jenkins is looking to get paid. I don't know what going to happen there. If a team offers big money I can see us losing him.

I hope Barron realizes he's in much better shape in this system. He didn't work out in Tampa under Lovie's system. GW knows how to maximize his skill set. If he goes elsewhere it might not be the same for him.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
What sucks about free agency is that teams overpay for players. Corners are a hot item every offseason. Worries me that they will take more money and leave. There are 17 restricted or unrestricted players this offseason. It could very well be the most important offseason in a very long time. Not to mention players like Long, JL, Cook, Saffold who could be cut for various reasons. I'm slightly worried to be honest.
We could lose alot of young studs on D so resigning them at the expense of Long,JL,Cook,and Saffold is a possibility. The front office has some tough decisions to make this offseason. I'd hate to see this defence broken up before they really hit their prime.The draft should help but the premium picks really do need to be spent on offence.So hopefully we retain players like TrU,JJ, and Barron and let the D finish what it started.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wow @Rams43 that was quite a post and covered a lot of stuff.

Very sensible stuff and those guys have some work to do for sure..........I hope Long redoes his deal to create cap space because I'd like to see him on the roster when the team is flying high. He's paid his dues IMO.

I agree that QB is the big need..........but it won't come through FA because there won't be anything good available. It'll be trade/draft. Snead is a wheeler dealer and is fearless in the draft so I think he is going to make a move if there is a guy he likes. If not I think the Rams will sit tight with what they have.

I also think they are going to add to the OL. Saffold is out of here ASAP I bet.

Ram65

Legend
Enjoyable post Ram43.

The $$$$$ numbers are getting staggering for the NFL cap.

Many crossroad decisions will have to be made by Rams management and players. Nothing will surprise me as far as what will happen. I'm 50/50 on both Safold being let go, Long staying at a lower cost and have no idea of the future QB. Keneem seems likely to be in the mix without a big trade. It will be interesting to see if the Rams can keep both JJ and TruJo. If they can, I would like to see tighter coverage now that they have the experience. It's still a long time away with the unknown staggering amount of money that it will take to sign both. If anyone can do it, it's Demoff.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Disagree. Barron rightfully will seek decent money on the market. We need that money to retain starters. Barron won't be a starter once Ogletree returns. Great depth and sub-package player but he's not a starter if Ogletree is healthy. And as impressive as he has been filling in, he's not the player Ogletree is. But if we can keep him on a reasonable deal, I'd bring him back.

I vehemently disagree.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, the only way Barron returns is if he takes a home team discount or Ogletree is moved to MLB.

Totally agreed. I'd be good with moving Ogletree to MLB if they believe he can make the defensive calls and get everyone lined up properly. But I'm not so sure of that.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Totally agreed. I'd be good with moving Ogletree to MLB if they believe he can make the defensive calls and get everyone lined up properly. But I'm not so sure of that.

If he can't for whatever reason, can't someone else do it? There are defenses where a safety makes the calls. Unless GW just requires it be the MLB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he can't for whatever reason, can't someone else do it? There are defenses where a safety makes the calls. Unless GW just requires it be the MLB.

I think it's easier if it's the MLB. There have been a number of times this year where JL was instrumental in getting the DL set. A safety can't do that.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Disagree. Barron rightfully will seek decent money on the market. We need that money to retain starters. Barron won't be a starter once Ogletree returns. Great depth and sub-package player but he's not a starter if Ogletree is healthy. And as impressive as he has been filling in, he's not the player Ogletree is. But if we can keep him on a reasonable deal, I'd bring him back.

I vehemently disagree.

I don't think there's much point in pursuing a discussion with you on the trade up in the 1st issue, jrry32.

I read your 20+ posts regarding Goff being the next One in the other thread. Lol.

But I can't bring myself to trade away multiple premium picks for a rookie QB that doesn't have a Peyton Manning pedigree and unanimous eval agreement.

Not when we're positioned to snag a quality WR, DE, TE, and MLB by the end of Day Two.

Not to mention what we could do with our 1st rounder next year.

Honestly, you're the only one I've heard that's so "all in" on Goff. Doesn't mean that you're wrong, of course. But it does mean you're out there by yourself. At least so far.

Anyway, I'm content to agree to disagree with you on this trade up issue.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Any faith that Mo Alexander can replace Barron? I think he could do well there. Maybe not as good as Barron immediately, but there's a reason Fisher coveted him so much and it seems like the type of position he is meant to play.

Of course try to get Barron back on this team, but if not, I feel like Alexander should be able to help fill the void.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think there's much point in pursuing a discussion with you on the trade up in the 1st issue, jrry32.

I read your 20+ posts regarding Goff being the next One in the other thread. Lol.

You're also assuming Goff is the only QB I'd trade up for. There is value in this draft at QB. Goff ain't the only good one. Goff is the only one I'd sell the farm for. But there are other QBs I'd trade a pick to move up for. Not future 1sts. But a pick or two.

But I can't bring myself to trade away multiple premium picks for a rookie QB that doesn't have a Peyton Manning pedigree and unanimous eval agreement.

No such thing.

Not when we're positioned to snag a quality WR, DE, TE, and MLB by the end of Day Two.

All of which means nothing if our QB play continues to be dreadful.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Agree. If push comes to shove i let Barron walk if it means being able to retain JJ & TruJo. Same with McLeod.

In a perfect world we retain the entire defense but that's not going to happen.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Any faith that Mo Alexander can replace Barron? I think he could do well there. Maybe not as good as Barron immediately, but there's a reason Fisher coveted him so much and it seems like the type of position he is meant to play.

Of course try to get Barron back on this team, but if not, I feel like Alexander should be able to help fill the void.

I'd imagine he was drafted to play that spot, but then they were able to get Barron and the rest is history. I expect Barron to cost too much and they do in fact use Mo in his place, which is why im glad hes at least getting some playing experience now even if not at that position. Hopefully he turns out to be the player Fisher hoped and theres little to no drop off from Barron to him