My breakdown of the picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
It's clear to me that this was a draft where the FO and coaches made the decision to stress scheme fit. Scheme fit is something I personally really feel strongly about. I've seen too many players get lost in schemes that don't play to their strengths and when they move and play in a scheme that fits their talents they thrive.

Cam Akers: His choice over Dobbins is exactly what I saw all through the draft so far. What really separated Akers from Dobbins is his ability to contribute in the passing game. Not only as a receiver but in pass blocking. Akers has enough speed to rip off big chunk plays, enough speed that if he breaks loose anywhere inside the opponents 50 he's a threat to take it the distance. He's strong enough to break arm tackles and has good field vision you desire when running inside.

Van Jefferson: What can I say but I see him as Kupp v.2. He's probably the best route runner of all the WR's in the draft. Many have far more speed but getting open IMO is more about crisp route running. DB's now days can match speed and safeties with good angles can get there as well. But an elusive WR who creates separation by his breaks are far more consistent as we have seen with Kupp. Now with both of them it's going to be hard for safeties to simply double the deep routes. I never thought Jefferson would drop that far but couldn't be happier that he did.

Terrell Lewis: He's another guy I looked at before the draft. When the talking heads say they think he's second in this draft only to perhaps Chase Young, from what I've seen I'd probably have to agree. When he's healthy he's a very productive edge, the kind OC's must account for. With a D-front of Floyd, AD, Robinson and Lewis that's going to be an extremely good front 4.

Terrell Burgess: This was the only pick I didn't see coming this early. But for them to take him now it forced me to go back and review Johnson's contract. Johnson is in his contract year. In Burgess they have a true FS with excellent speed (4.4 range compared to JJ's 4.6) and very good instincts and vision. On paper he looks like an upgrade. His film reminds me of Weddle when he was drafted by the Chargers. Burgess also allows them to play a lot of 3 safeties without sacrificing speed,

Overall I can say I really like what they have done in these two rounds. I don't see any one of these 4 guys as a miss and expect that within two years they will probably all be starters with all contributing as rookies.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Someone in the equipment room needs to order a brand new ice tub for Terrell Lewis. Dude barley played the last two years. Can't make the club if your in the tub. I hate this pick. Such a hurt bag

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, the Lewis pick was a gamble, but with a 3rd round pick, it wasn't a huge gamble. Also, he's going to be a part-time, situational rotation player this year. It will give them a year to coach him up, strengthen, and develop. IMO he's insurance against not being able to sign Floyd next year. With Brockers being basically on a two-year deal they will have a second year to develop Lewis and to allow him to truly heal.

I don't really see the risk for a 3rd round pick. It's rare to be able to grab a player of Lewis' caliber at this point in the draft. Even as a situational player he can have a significant impact. At this point, Lewis is in reality just a pass rusher but with Brockers in front of him, that's all he needs to be. He will have a full year to be coached up on becoming a full-time starter.

Let me add to Lewis' breakdown. First his injuries. He had a serious ACL back in 2017. But so did Kupp and he actually came back stronger and faster because of his re-hab training. He's had no reoccurrence in two years. In 2018 he tore a ligament in his arm. Again with proper rehab, he seems to have recovered from that as well. In 2019 he played the entire season with no significant medical issues. So IMO the medical issue fears seem somewhat mitigated by the fact his last injury was 2 years ago. As we have seen Kupp returned better off his injuries, both faster and stronger.

What I love about Lewis is his versatility. I've been advocating on this board a lot about the need for a true OLB, capable of playing in coverage as well as being able to rush the passer. I pointed out that the Rams only had one in Ebukam. But now they have two. Most evaluators don't focus upon Lewis as a drop back OLB. Lewis played that role well in both zone and man coverage. He's more than capable of short-area coverage duties, which is something lacking in Fowler.

Just like Ebukam did as a rookie, Lewis will struggle a bit in his role at stacking and shedding blockers at this level. But it's more a matter of developing good technique. Lewis is rawer than Samson was at this point. But I see the same potential I saw in Ebukam to become a complete OLB/edge. As I said before those players are rare. Terrell needs this year to strengthen, bulk up, and to develop his technique. If the Rams can keep Floyd, Ebukam, and now Lewis together, they will have something I don't think I've ever seen on a team, that is 3 outstanding OLB's with both pass and coverage abilities. This will give them two good edge rushers and still have a SAM behind them. Teams won't know who is dropping and who is coming allowing Staley to really disguise his coverages.

As much as I like Ebukam (he's one of my favorites), both Floyd and Lewis have much higher ceilings. If Lewis develops as planned he can become one of the most dangerous OLB's in the NFL. That's why IMO it was worth the 20th pick in the 3rd round. Most evaluators saw him with first-round talent, which makes him an absolute steal. His last injury was 2 years ago and with a full camp to heal and train, I think much of the injury concern can be mitigated and become no more than with any other player.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
How healthy is Lewis today? It also confused me to find he only started 3 of the 11 games he played in last year. If Healthy he is a steal but

Paydirt

UDFA
Got em' at an A- Henderson is a bust...... Akers will be starter from Day 1 ...... can't argue w/ Jefferson........ 2 potential defense starters with Lewis & Burgess !!! LOVE almost everything thus far .

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Akers a great pick. He's used to running behind a horrible OL. He gets to do that again since the Rams address every position group EXCEPT the OL.

Pick 199 still to come, but now thats scraping the bottom of the barrell

oldnotdead

Legend
Henderson & Akers will be the two headed RB monsters for the Rams. It shows me the Rams will be committed to their run game and both guys are scheme fits for an inside power scheme. You need two RB's to pound a defense and keep your backs fresh. I think Hopkins will be coached up to be their lead blocker, as he has the size and speed to do it. They are filling out the team really well. I don't see a ??? pick in the entire draft. I think all 6 guys so far will contribute this year.

Burgess fills two needs, CB and safety and so I can see him getting a lot of action in their sub-packages this year. I love the draft to this point!!

Favorite pick Terrell Willis...Huge upside! The guy will be a beast! He’s ahead of Obo right now!

oldnotdead

Legend
Damn I can't wait to see Aker, Jefferson, Lewis and Burgess on the field. To get 4 players of that quality in the later part of rounds 2 & 3 is stunning. This is going to go down as one of their best drafts. Snead has proven you can find value in every round if you know what you are doing.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Seems like rams pick guys in preparation for potential free agent departures and give em a year of prep. JJ is a FA next year, they draft 2 safeties. Brown is a FA, they go running back. Everett is a FA, they draft a pass catching TE.