My analysis of this team as it stands now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
This is a very good team right now. In my opinion, it's an underrated team, especially by the media. They have improved in key areas and are set to make a comeback.

OFFENSE

The o-line has largely been rebuilt with 2 exceptions at both OT's. Whitworth clearly showed his age last year with his playing grade dropping significantly from the previous 2 years. That said he's still a better than average LT and hopefully, he remains so because the Rams are committed to him for the next two years. Assuming that Allen returns, they are improved on the interior o-line. I see no reason Allen can't return and continue to develop. Last year I judged Allen's play to be at a slightly better than average level overall, which is good for a first year starter and better than Sullivan and Blythe. He can build on that and continue to improve. Corbett joined the team during the season yet he stepped right in and helped to stabilize a disintegrating o-line devastated by injuries. He played well and should play better with a season to train and gel with his teammates. Edwards at RG also elevated the play at his position. Even though his metrics scream OT, he showed he can play at this level. His experience on the right side will serve him well as I expect him to slide outside next year to RT when Havenstein is released or traded. With an entire TC to practice the implementation of a new blocking scheme, the overall play of the o-line should improve.

I expect this offense to transition to a power gap run scheme focusing upon running between the tackles. They have 2 good RBs who should thrive in that kind of run scheme. Both have the speed to take advantage of the blocks and are one cut RBs who can break arm tackles. Last year the RBs clearly had problems reading the blocking when they switched during the season to a gap blocked run attack. Both RBs now will be in sync with the scheme and their execution should be at a high level. As I speculated in other posts, a power run game requires a lead blocker. Teams like the Niners employ a FB. But that lead blocker can also be a TE. I believe that is the reason they drafted Hopkins. All the media types are saying he can't block. But blocking is a skill that is taught. Also, Hopkins did perform wham blocks at Purdue. Using a TE, especially one that can catch (unlike Mundt) does not tip the play to the defense. He can play from the H-back position or come in motion.

With the drafting of Jefferson, the Ram passing game does not miss Cooks. Jefferson still can provide the possession routes and receptions and he has the speed to go deep along with Woods. Think of him as a hybrid of Woods (vertical routes) and Kupp (possession routes). I see Jefferson ahead of Reynolds on the depth chart as the #3 WR. He can play all 3 WR positions but I think the slot maximizes his ability to be a mismatch. He's too fast and elusive for safeties and LBs and will force them to cover him with their #3 CB. IMO Jefferson is Wood's eventual replacement in 2022.

The inside run game will pay big dividends in the play-action game. Defenses will have to honor it whereas with the old simplistic outside zone it was a far easier read. I still see them playing with their 11 personnel most of the time. It forces teams out of their base and to play with their nickel. This takes one man out of the box. I still see McVay layering his receivers but now with Higbee, Everett, Henderson and Akers they have dump-off options that can still threaten a defense. This offense will be designed to give Goff easier and faster reads allowing him to throw quickly. I can envision Woods running his patented deep sideline route (9 route), Jefferson running a post route (8) forcing the FS to double leaving Woods in single coverage, with Kupp on a 10-15 yard in (6 route) with Higbee or Everett on a short slant (2 route) for a quick throw option. While all that's going on do they run a draw with Henderson or Akers?

This offense is designed to play ball control, but be able to strike quickly when it has to. They will be dangerous on any part of the field both in their run game as well as their passing offense. I really like what I'm seeing developing on this team.

DEFENSE

Staley is going to stay with the 3-4 hybrid as he should as it will give him maximum flexibility on how he plays his guys. But the Ram front 4 could end up being one of the best defensive fronts in the NFL. With Donald and Robinson, they can blow up the pocket or disrupt any inside run. They have speed on the edges with Floyd and Lewis. They will only have to rush 4 to get quick pressure on the QB.

Though relatively untested, the Rams have talent at LB. They have one of the better SAM OLBs in Ebukam who is a bonafide impact player. He can rush the passer, play pass defense in coverage, and most of all he sets a hard edge in the run defense. They have good speed at ILB in Kiser, Young, Howard and Reed all running in the 4.6 range. Kiser can be that classic MIKE who is a real thumper. If he can stay healthy he looks like he could be a force inside in the run defense. Young has a solid resume during his last year with the Ravens. He can blitz, cover and tackle. He's the size and speed of a SS but he plays like an OLB and I wouldn't be surprised if Staley slides him outside opposite Ebukam or uses him in relief of Samson. People view the LBs as a weakness but there is real talent there and I think their play will open a lot of eyes because I expect Staley to use them properly, in ways Wade didn't.

The Rams have the CBs to play tight man coverage with Ramsey and Long. Their safeties are very good as well. Johnson lacks the range you really want in a FS but his play recognition skills are improving and it allows him to read the plays faster. I really think however, this will be Johnson's last season with Burgess replacing him. But this year I think Burgess will see the field as a slot CB. He has the agility and quickness, coupled with boundary CB speed to play that position.

Adonis Alexander is an interesting prospect. I'm not sure where he fits in. He's got ILB size and good speed for a man of his size at 4.6. At 6'2" he's a Richard Sherman type of boundary CB. He doesn't have the burst or agility to play slot CB. He struggles in zone coverage so he's not a safety. I see him as strictly a backup/rotational boundary CB.

Hill is another DB I'm not sure how he fits in this scheme. He has shown repeatedly how he struggles in man coverage. He lacks the agility and burst to mirror receivers particularly out of their breaks. Hill's stats are inflated from last year simply because Wade played mostly zone coverage. In that coverage he posted his best numbers. But in man coverage schemes he allowed a terrible 65% completion rate vs his coverage and some of those incompletions were bad throws by the QB so his numbers are probably closer to 70%.

Once Burgess moves to FS Williams will provide a good slot CB. I liked what I saw last year from Williams, he looked solid as a slot CB. I think the Rams are set this year and next with a very good secondary built to provide good man coverage. That will force most QBs to hold the ball that extra second or two and give the d-line time to get to him.

I really like the makeup of this team and think they are a contender this year and next as well.

1962Ram

UDFA
Name
Bill
This is a very good team right now. In my opinion, it's an underrated team, especially by the media. They have improved in key areas and are set to make a comeback.

OFFENSE

The o-line has largely been rebuilt with 2 exceptions at both OT's. Whitworth clearly showed his age last year with his playing grade dropping significantly from the previous 2 years. That said he's still a better than average LT and hopefully, he remains so because the Rams are committed to him for the next two years. Assuming that Allen returns, they are improved on the interior o-line. I see no reason Allen can't return and continue to develop. Last year I judged Allen's play to be at a slightly better than average level overall, which is good for a first year starter and better than Sullivan and Blythe. He can build on that and continue to improve. Corbett joined the team during the season yet he stepped right in and helped to stabilize a disintegrating o-line devastated by injuries. He played well and should play better with a season to train and gel with his teammates. Edwards at RG also elevated the play at his position. Even though his metrics scream OT, he showed he can play at this level. His experience on the right side will serve him well as I expect him to slide outside next year to RT when Havenstein is released or traded. With an entire TC to practice the implementation of a new blocking scheme, the overall play of the o-line should improve.

I expect this offense to transition to a power gap run scheme focusing upon running between the tackles. They have 2 good RBs who should thrive in that kind of run scheme. Both have the speed to take advantage of the blocks and are one cut RBs who can break arm tackles. Last year the RBs clearly had problems reading the blocking when they switched during the season to a gap blocked run attack. Both RBs now will be in sync with the scheme and their execution should be at a high level. As I speculated in other posts, a power run game requires a lead blocker. Teams like the Niners employ a FB. But that lead blocker can also be a TE. I believe that is the reason they drafted Hopkins. All the media types are saying he can't block. But blocking is a skill that is taught. Also, Hopkins did perform wham blocks at Purdue. Using a TE, especially one that can catch (unlike Mundt) does not tip the play to the defense. He can play from the H-back position or come in motion.

With the drafting of Jefferson, the Ram passing game does not miss Cooks. Jefferson still can provide the possession routes and receptions and he has the speed to go deep along with Woods. Think of him as a hybrid of Woods (vertical routes) and Kupp (possession routes). I see Jefferson ahead of Reynolds on the depth chart as the #3 WR. He can play all 3 WR positions but I think the slot maximizes his ability to be a mismatch. He's too fast and elusive for safeties and LBs and will force them to cover him with their #3 CB. IMO Jefferson is Wood's eventual replacement in 2022.

The inside run game will pay big dividends in the play-action game. Defenses will have to honor it whereas with the old simplistic outside zone it was a far easier read. I still see them playing with their 11 personnel most of the time. It forces teams out of their base and to play with their nickel. This takes one man out of the box. I still see McVay layering his receivers but now with Higbee, Everett, Henderson and Akers they have dump-off options that can still threaten a defense. This offense will be designed to give Goff easier and faster reads allowing him to throw quickly. I can envision Woods running his patented deep sideline route (9 route), Jefferson running a post route (8) forcing the FS to double leaving Woods in single coverage, with Kupp on a 10-15 yard in (6 route) with Higbee or Everett on a short slant (2 route) for a quick throw option. While all that's going on do they run a draw with Henderson or Akers?

This offense is designed to play ball control, but be able to strike quickly when it has to. They will be dangerous on any part of the field both in their run game as well as their passing offense. I really like what I'm seeing developing on this team.

DEFENSE

Staley is going to stay with the 3-4 hybrid as he should as it will give him maximum flexibility on how he plays his guys. But the Ram front 4 could end up being one of the best defensive fronts in the NFL. With Donald and Robinson, they can blow up the pocket or disrupt any inside run. They have speed on the edges with Floyd and Lewis. They will only have to rush 4 to get quick pressure on the QB.

Though relatively untested, the Rams have talent at LB. They have one of the better SAM OLBs in Ebukam who is a bonafide impact player. He can rush the passer, play pass defense in coverage, and most of all he sets a hard edge in the run defense. They have good speed at ILB in Kiser, Young, Howard and Reed all running in the 4.6 range. Kiser can be that classic MIKE who is a real thumper. If he can stay healthy he looks like he could be a force inside in the run defense. Young has a solid resume during his last year with the Ravens. He can blitz, cover and tackle. He's the size and speed of a SS but he plays like an OLB and I wouldn't be surprised if Staley slides him outside opposite Ebukam or uses him in relief of Samson. People view the LBs as a weakness but there is real talent there and I think their play will open a lot of eyes because I expect Staley to use them properly, in ways Wade didn't.

The Rams have the CBs to play tight man coverage with Ramsey and Long. Their safeties are very good as well. Johnson lacks the range you really want in a FS but his play recognition skills are improving and it allows him to read the plays faster. I really think however, this will be Johnson's last season with Burgess replacing him. But this year I think Burgess will see the field as a slot CB. He has the agility and quickness, coupled with boundary CB speed to play that position.

Adonis Alexander is an interesting prospect. I'm not sure where he fits in. He's got ILB size and good speed for a man of his size at 4.6. At 6'2" he's a Richard Sherman type of boundary CB. He doesn't have the burst or agility to play slot CB. He struggles in zone coverage so he's not a safety. I see him as strictly a backup/rotational boundary CB.

Hill is another DB I'm not sure how he fits in this scheme. He has shown repeatedly how he struggles in man coverage. He lacks the agility and burst to mirror receivers particularly out of their breaks. Hill's stats are inflated from last year simply because Wade played mostly zone coverage. In that coverage he posted his best numbers. But in man coverage schemes he allowed a terrible 65% completion rate vs his coverage and some of those incompletions were bad throws by the QB so his numbers are probably closer to 70%.

Once Burgess moves to FS Williams will provide a good slot CB. I liked what I saw last year from Williams, he looked solid as a slot CB. I think the Rams are set this year and next with a very good secondary built to provide good man coverage. That will force most QBs to hold the ball that extra second or two and give the d-line time to get to him.

I really like the makeup of this team and think they are a contender this year and next as well.

1962Ram

UDFA
Name
Bill
Been a Ram fan since 1962. I enjoyed watching the fearsome foursome summer at Chapman Colleage.. That's how I became a Ram fan. Anyway, what I see is a a pretty good team that can compete well in the west.
Cooks had too many injuries and therefore they couldn't take the risk anymore. Gurley didn't want it bad enough to run hard all the time. Too many injuries all around.
I feel that the linebackers will improve without the injuries from last year. Also the OL will improve with another year behind them.
The running game should be better.
I couldn't believe our tight ends at the end of the season. I didn't see that coming. Good news.

Anyway, just be patient with this team. We had a lot of very poor teams for years, and management that didn't seem concerned with winning. Life is good we have a better team on a down year than we had on many good year before.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Definitely an underrated team going into the season. Which I love. Kinda like 2018. Last year we had the target on our backs.

I’m hopeful the OL is very much improved. But at worst, it will be better than last year.

I expect big things from McVays play calling this year. Playmaker wise, we are better off without the injured TG and Cooks.

my only concern is defensively with a new, inexperienced DC. But he has the personnel - certainly on the DL and secondary.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
BuT tHeY didn't DrAfT oFeNsIvE lInE!!!!!

tenor.gif

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I am hopeful, but with some trepidations. Allen is not an above average C that's just wrong.

Our ILBs are marginal until proven otherwise. Losing Littleton will sting.

Our OLBs are a mystery to me I feel Floyd and Ekuban will be a step down in sacks and a bit better against the run. Ekuban is an average OLB. He is not what the OP says he is in my mind.

DL is super solid and will make a lot of noise. The Run D will be better as well.

The DBs/Safeties I feel will be top three in league maybe the best overall group. I like Hill more than you do he was rated #9 best CB last year as per PFF.

On Offense - the Rams will go as far as the OL will take them. I have said in other threads we should move to a shorter throw quick strike offense which hides the OL deficiencies. We have 3 starters coming back from injuries and our LT is a year older. Not a big prescription for success.

QB I believe has HOF potential with a great OL. He is deadly accurate and great decision maker.

RBs undetermined at this point. Not sure what we got. Hopeful. Not sure what the OP is seeing Akers hasn't played a down in the league. Brown and Henderson were marginal last year.

WRs - best group in NFL imo.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will tell you what. I am not a big fan of PFF I've made that clear. But for those that think he's subpar go to their page and compare the ratings for Sullivan and Blythe to Allen. Even they saw that he outplayed both Sullivan in 2018 and Blythe last year. Don't take my word for it even they rate Allen above the other two. He was a first year starter on an O-line that started Noteboom at LG a position he has never played and barely practiced at. His struggles exposed Kromer for the poor coach he is. If he thought a couple of practices was all Noteboom needed and they didn't see his issues beforehand there is something wrong with him and Dickerson. That poor play will affect the C and it did. Allen was trying to do too much. Cover Noteboom and still do his job. The O-line play depends upon the trust each of them has in each other to hold their own.

I don't blame Noteboom one bit. But I do blame Kromer and IMO Joe's injury is directly related to his being dumped into the fire before he was ready. Despite the dumpster fire on the right side and Noteboom's struggles on his left Allen still held his own. I think even McVay sees that. It's why they were going to allow Blythe to leave.

If Kromer and Dickerson do their jobs and coach up the o-line they will be fine. If I have a worry is with the coaching not the players.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Allen (58.6)
Blythe (50.3)
Sullivan (53.4)

So he grades higher, not much, definitely not enough to be satisfied with. Allen also only played in 9 games, I don't think pff offers offers week to week grades for free so its impossible to tell how his season mapped out. Blythe's rating is also based on his play at G which is gong to affect his overall. Do they provide a rating for when he played C exclusively?

Noteboom's Injury is directly related to Allen. Allen pushes a defender into Boom's knees. Yes it was an accident, but it has nothing to do with Kromer.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Allen (58.6)
Blythe (50.3)
Sullivan (53.4)

So he grades higher, not much, definitely not enough to be satisfied with. Allen also only played in 9 games, I don't think pff offers offers week to week grades for free so its impossible to tell how his season mapped out. Blythe's rating is also based on his play at G which is gong to affect his overall. Do they provide a rating for when he played C exclusively?

Noteboom's Injury is directly related to Allen. Allen pushes a defender into Boom's knees. Yes it was an accident, but it has nothing to do with Kromer.

Ah man, i thought he whiffed on a block and pushed the guy in a panic. This was way worse.

Brown had the rusher under control but Allen decided to push him over into booms leg.

That play was a shit show. Whit and hav are bull rushed right back into Goff. Goff doesn't step up to avoid the collision of the two tackles. He falls over for a sack. Allen pushes a defender into boom. Boom out for the year.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Ah man, i thought he whiffed on a block and pushed the guy in a panic. This was way worse.

Brown had the rusher under control but Allen decided to push him over into booms leg.

That play was a shit show. Whit and hav are bull rushed right back into Goff. Goff doesn't step up to avoid the collision of the two tackles. He falls over for a sack. Allen pushes a defender into boom. Boom out for the year.

Yeah that play was comically bad. I found an audio version, can't believe I missed this during the broadcast.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That play was a shit show. Whit and hav are bull rushed right back into Goff. Goff doesn't step up to avoid the collision of the two tackles. He falls over for a sack.

Sure was. That was Bosa and Dee Ford blowing that up.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We will agree to disagree @oldnotdead on Brian Allen as I concur @shovelpass that I'm sure Austin Blythe graded out much better at Center, but I don't need grades because it was obvious Blythe at Center was a huge upgrade.

Allen had trouble with his snaps, depended on Blythe at RG to make the line calls and was responsible for Joseph Noteboom's injury because he pushed a guy into Boom after the play was over, no sir, I don't care for Brian Allen at all and expect him to ride the pine in 2020.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
His struggles exposed Kromer for the poor coach he is. If he thought a couple of practices was all Noteboom needed and they didn't see his issues beforehand there is something wrong with him and Dickerson.

My questions are:

How many practices did Noteboom have at LG and where was he practicing before that?
Who was practicing to be the LG before Noteboom?

I thought Noteboom was practicing at LG almost the entirety of training camp or at least equally (the so called cross training) at both G and T.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

That's one disturbing gif.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
How many practices did Noteboom have at LG and where was he practicing before that?
Who was practicing to be the LG before Noteboom?

Yeah, and didn't the starting 5 sit out most of preseason? I seem to recall we were all a little nervous about that.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
What a gif (and game)

Both Tackles get skated, Goff is stuck in the mud, and Boom get ko'd

I bet the SF D-line meeting room got pretty loud watching that play.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting, to take one play out of context of all the plays and claim it justifies your claim Blythe is better. You don't show the play where Blythe tries to pull and trips over his own feet and lands on his face. You don't show all the plays Merlin broke down showing Bythe's inability to make blocks on the second level. If indeed they move to a power gap scheme Blythe will be expected to make key blocks on the second level, often against the MLB. Considering Blythe's failure over the past couple of years I don't like that lack of consistency.

It was on Kromer because he stupidly thought Noteboom was ready. When it became clear Joe wasn't he didn't have an answer and left him in there the same as he left Blythe and Havenstein in to get outplayed on the right side. I made the statement that Allen's problem was he was trying to do too much a symptom of poor coaching of fundamentals. The clip shows exactly what I saw not just then but during the season. The entire o-line showed that clearly all year. Their blocking was inconsistent all year due to poor fundamentals in their technique.

Yes, that grade includes Blythe's horrendous play at OG and you think he would be better at Center? Sorry, I don't follow the logic. The center position is a much more difficult position to play. If he couldn't pull and couldn't block at RG how is he going to play center?

You are fine disagreeing with me. I actually don't have a problem with it. The bottom line is that McVay seems to agree with me also. He and Snead agree with what I've been seeing about Blythe as well. They already had Blythe yet the still went out and drafted Allen. When forced to play Blythe at center last year, they didn't re-sign him until Allen was diagnosed with Coronavirus. They re-signed Shelton while they allowed Blythe to walk. Which is why IMO it's not a given that Blythe would start over Shelton if Allen can't go.

You might not like it but it all points to Allen returning as the starting center. I think he will be fine once he returns to form. Just like they didn't draft a starting LT they simply signed Whitworth to a 2-year place holder contract. A contract that will pay him about $19M total if released after 2 years. That is far less per year than the over $16M he got just for 2019. The approximately $9.5M a year average is about what a good LT would receive.

All I'm saying is that all the moves made by the FO indicate they are going to stick with their original plan for the o-line. Which would is:

LT Noteboom
LG Corbett
C Allen
RG Evans
RT Edwards

I said when Edwards was drafted he looked like Havenstein's replacement in 2021 and I think that even more after the contract was rewritten. It still gives them an out after this year. His play at RG will help him when he slides outside. With Allen and Shelton they will have 2 centers mobile enough to get to the second level to execute blocks in the run game. What was significant about Merlin's frame by frame excellent breakdown was the consistent problems with the blocking on the second level. That is coaching. Either the player physically lacks the necessary mobility or the lack of execution comes down to poor coaching of fundamentals. If he lacks mobility why is he playing? Again it's a coaching decision, isn't it?

I'm saying that this o-line has suffered from poor execution and IMO the root cause is poor coaching of fundamental techniques. As well as poor coaching evaluations on the readiness and capabilities of his players.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Not sure if I agree w your assessment of Hill. He was one of the better rated defenders when in man coverage. You also forgot Williams who played out of his mind and always flashed as a rookie. There is a lot to be said about a rookie who constantly shows up on film as a defensive back rookie.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Interesting, to take one play out of context of all the plays and claim it justifies your claim Blythe is better. You don't show the play where Blythe tries to pull and trips over his own feet and lands on his face. You don't show all the plays Merlin broke down showing Bythe's inability to make blocks on the second level. If indeed they move to a power gap scheme Blythe will be expected to make key blocks on the second level, often against the MLB. Considering Blythe's failure over the past couple of years I don't like that lack of consistency.
The clip isn't out of context or to bash anyone in particular. The point is to show how Boom was injured. It was an accident, it has nothing to do with poor coaching or anyone being in over their head. Blythe's play wasn't great, but it was more consistent than Allen imo. A lot of those problems Blythe had Allen also struggles with. You could also provide clips to backup your claim.
The bottom line is that McVay seems to agree with me also. He and Snead agree with what I've been seeing about Blythe as well. They already had Blythe yet the still went out and drafted Allen. When forced to play Blythe at center last year, they didn't re-sign him until Allen was diagnosed with Coronavirus.
You have proof for this? Doubt it. Seems more like conjecture to me. Here's some facts for you. Blythe was signed on March 18th. Allen announced on April 15th that he tested positive 3 weeks earlier. Quick math, March 25th. A full week after Blythe was resigned. I guess McVay had no intention on bringing Whitworth back either? He was signed the same day as Blythe.

Truth is I'm fine with whomever they put in the lineup, the coaches know more than I do.