Must watch! QB breakdown of Baker's passes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Whether you like Mayfield or not this really is a must watch. This guy isn't a Ram fan. But he breaks down Baker's passes in Thursday's game showing how good Mayfield's technique has become. It shows Mayfield's developmental growth because I watched a similar breakdown of Mayfield when he was in Cleveland and there were issues to be sure. He still makes some choice issues but what QB doesn't. He still tends to lockon presnap where he's going. But there are times when he makes throws where things breakdown that are still amazing. It also shows Tutu's growth as a WR. This is why regardless of Stafford's decision about next year I think Baker will stay at least one year more just to continue his development in this offense under McVay. It shows why if Stafford retires either next year or the year after why Mayfield might be the Ram's QB of the future. The breakdown clearly shows the talent that Mayfield has and why the Rams could be in good hands at QB with Baker in McVay's offense. I'm always harping about scheme fit and IMO Mayfield is a good scheme fit for McVay.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNMjb0sb3RE

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I’ll say one thing, Mayfield seems more suited than even Staff for playing with no competent blocking up front. He can really maneuver and get it out of there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
JT has been the best at putting up vids for some time now. But wasn't this exact conversation done recently in another thread.

Either way I fear the hype building around Mayfield will fuel an equal mood swing the other way when he has a bad game. Which is probably coming given this line. Plus as amazing as that performance was the Raiduhs have been a sieve defensively.

Sure would be great if he could win out. But seems unlikely given our personnel shortfalls on both sides of the ball. I am hopeful of course as always but just feels like a cliff is ahead.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah,, this was posted yesterday I believe. I remember JT when he was with the niners. Wasn't he the QB when we bearlt them on TNF in 2017?? That was a pretty damn good game.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yeah,, this was posted yesterday I believe. I remember JT when he was with the niners. Wasn't he the QB when we bearlt them on TNF in 2017?? That was a pretty damn good game.
No, that was Brian Hoyer. You have a good memory with O'Sullivan on the Niners. I had forgotten.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JT does great work so does Kurt for that matter. Both with great breakdowns and give you the good and the bad.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
No, that was Brian Hoyer. You have a good memory with O'Sullivan on the Niners. I had forgotten.
My bad, yeah he was with them looooong before that game, haha.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry I missed the previous post. Win or lose is secondary to me. I'm more interested in his consistency which has historically been the biggest knock on his performance. But this game will serve as a measuring stick, i.e. baseline to judge where he's at. Every QB has occasional bad games including Stafford. What I want to see is how well he meshes with McVay's offense. From the breakdown, he does have a lot to clean up, but some is probably a lack of familiarity with the WRs. What I took away from this are questions as to why Stafford has such a problem with Robinson. Many times he was open but Stafford didn't even look his way.

I think a lot of Mayfield's tendency to lock on to a receiver presnap or otherwise truncate his reads is his being cognizant of the poor OL he was behind. So I give him a pass for this game on a lot of things, i.e. lack of familiarity with the WRs and poor OL play. Next week should be a pretty good gauge as to where Baker is at in terms of development. The Packers are 5-8 and I think they are comparable to the Raiders in many respects. If the weather prediction holds up it actually looks like a winnable game. If AD returns even more so. In fact, every one of the remaining games looks winnable.

If the Rams can get Thomas at either of the OG positions and he plays better than Skura (as I think he will) the OL should be goodenough to win out with Mayfield at QB. In other words worth watching. :thumbsup1:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I am just glad we have a competent QB who can work around our current OL and make amazing plays. For me its the ball distribution and involving everyone in our team just not 1 go to. Mixing it up always makes the offense more exciting anyways. Mayfield looks to be that guy, but can’t wait to see how he plays against GB…

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
All good stuff can happen! Rebounding to play well and win games even though you're not making the playoffs after a horrible start is a sign of a good system that just needs tweeking. Finding a needed qb after sobering Stafford situation gives us all hope. All of us that are fans of course. Go Mayfield! Go rams

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't think there's any question Baker has talent. He's got a legit NFL arm to make all the throws. He's mobile enough to escape pressure. I think he's a guy that needs to be in the right situation to excel. I watched a game he played earlier this year and came away very unimpressed. His accuracy was pretty bad at times.

I don't know what the issues were in Cleveland and Carolina. Or why he played poorly at times. But he was impressive for a guy who only had one practice with the team. I saw a little of Stafford in his throws with the different arm angles. But he is more mobile than Stafford.

In a perfect world Stafford comes back with determination and Baker signs on to be his backup. Its clear he's much better than Wolford and Perkins. But that is iffy. If Baker plays poorly these last 4 games do we want him as the backup? If he plays well it drives up his value. And possibly out of our price range.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sorry I missed the previous post. Win or lose is secondary to me. I'm more interested in his consistency which has historically been the biggest knock on his performance. But this game will serve as a measuring stick, i.e. baseline to judge where he's at. Every QB has occasional bad games including Stafford. What I want to see is how well he meshes with McVay's offense. From the breakdown, he does have a lot to clean up, but some is probably a lack of familiarity with the WRs. What I took away from this are questions as to why Stafford has such a problem with Robinson. Many times he was open but Stafford didn't even look his way.
I think Stafford's issues were a perfect storm of him missing time plus new pieces plus the OL playing like dogshit. He had some stretches where he looked great, but honestly he's too old to get his ass beat by opposing DL behind a shit line. That's a young QB game there. Plus no run game to speak of which just made it all worse. We know the guy can elevate his game when it matters so far as I'm concerned if the issues around him are fixed he should be fine.

Baker just needed a smart coach who believes in him. His talents fit the offense. McVay likes extroverts. Just seems like a fantastic combination him being with us. So honestly I think after an offseason reload we could win with Baker if that were to happen. But also he should back up Stafford and take his time settling in to the team. I would hope by now that his view of what is important in this league has matured, where maybe he won't mind doing backup duties for a year when knowing he's going to be the guy of the future.

I mean what is his other option... Jumping to some random team and ending up experiencing what he just went through with the Panthers? Granted he could go to SF or wherever Payton ends up and know he's got a good coach over him but if he fits with McVay in terms of personality, which seems to be the case, that should be valuable to him. Truth is some people just don't get along but they seem to, which for Baker is no given.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
From what is being said out of Carolina, he was a positive influence in the locker room. From his statements while in Carolina he has matured and isn't the locker room cancer he was in his early years. How he left Cleveland was a traumatic event, that he realized he needed to change. Apparently, he has.

McVay's tenure has always been tied to Stafford. But Baker will energize him to stay if Mayfield stays. From what I hear people close to Baker are telling him that the best thing he could do is spend a year maybe two as Stafford's understudy. When you look at Matt's contract the ability for the Rams to get out of the contract starts after 2024. In 2025 the cap hit on Stafford will be $50.5M but his dead cap would be only $24M something they could absorb in one year. By structure, both sides would view that as a natural out for either side. Even if he decides to retire in 2024 which is a very real possibility because of injury, the Rams could handle the cap hit. It's really only if he retires in January that the cap hit would be difficult.

If he wanted to retire next year then they could simply IR him in Sept. and carry him on the IR for the rest of the year (concussion and neck contusion). This would allow Stafford to be at the facility and attend meetings to mentor Baker. Or they will simply carry him on the roster as the backup. His cap hit would be $20M next year but if he retires it would be $49.5 M. Then he can officially retire in 2024 and the cap hit would be manageable ($36M split over 2 years). This would also allow them to draft a QB or for Stafford to work with. Then Matt isn't out there each week risking his health. IMO this would assuage Kelly's concerns and allow Matt to be with the team.

Baker would re-sign if he knew he was going to replace Stafford at some point if Matt is actually starting next year. McVay could talk to Matt and tell him that due to his health they would be looking to replace him with Baker in 2024, giving him one last shot at a second ring. AD will be retiring in 2024 as well.

Either way I see Baker as the next Ram QB no later than 2025 and more likely as 2024. All I know is that having both on the roster would be a huge advantage for any Super Bowl run. McVay wouldn't feel compelled to send his starter who might be less than 100% back on the field.

One thing to remember about next year. The level of competition will be lower, i.e. an easier schedule. Both Seattle and SF will be going through QB transitions and Kyler will be Kyler. The Rams will have a clear advantage with 2 starting caliber QBs.