Must Be A Big Secret...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
I'm trying to quell, unsuccessfully, my excitement. :disappoint:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I too have seen some mocks showing the Rams with two 7th rounders. Why the secrecy with the pick? It's the Colts. They probably don't want anyone to know which pick they don't have until the last minute. Of course, you'd think the time for disclosure has to be very soon, probably right after the Super Bowl.

…..

Legend
good gawd...its not that big of a deal. Thats why nobody knows.....LOL. Its not a secret!

Would rather have Gordy back.

Are we really getting this excited over a 7th round pick?

Alan

Legend
Dog on to something:
good gawd...its not that big of a deal. Thats why nobody knows.....LOL. Its not a secret!
You're right Dog, it's gone way beyond that. It's a full fledged conspiracy now. The rot starts at the top.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It wasn't me that texted in, but glad someone got the question to him!

7th rounder is disappointing...I wonder why Demoff thought we'd be excited about that.

Sorry if my interested bothered you, Dog. With the information being so hard to find it got my intrigue up.

Alan

Legend
I think it's still interesting and I'd really like to know what the conditional part of it was. I'm not even sure that Snead gave us the right answer. When asked he had no clue at first and I'm not sure what he came up with is even correct. As you said Sum, what Demoff said makes no sense if it's actually only a 7th rounder.

This story is not over for me until I actually see what pick we get.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
It can't be a seventh round pick; the Colts traded away their 2014 seventh round pick to the Whiners for Cam Johnson (a nose tackle) right after the Gordy trade. I personally think that it's a sixth or (less likely) a fifth. That's the only thing that could make sense; they've already traded away their first and fourth round picks, and there's absolutely no way they'd give up a second or a third for Josh Gordy. And it can't be the A.Q. Shipley pick either; he was traded for the Ravens' seventh round pick after Josh Gordy was traded to the Colts - and the last time I checked, you can't give up a pick that you don't have.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
It can't be a seventh round pick; the Colts traded away their 2014 seventh round pick to the Whiners for Cam Johnson (a nose tackle) right after the Gordy trade. I personally think that it's a sixth or (less likely) a fifth. That's the only thing that could make sense; they've already traded away their first and fourth round picks, and there's absolutely no way they'd give up a second or a third for Josh Gordy. And it can't be the A.Q. Shipley pick either; he was traded for the Ravens' seventh round pick after Josh Gordy was traded to the Colts - and the last time I checked, you can't give up a pick that you don't have.
The Plot thickens...

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I think it's still interesting and I'd really like to know what the conditional part of it was. I'm not even sure that Snead gave us the right answer. When asked he had no clue at first and I'm not sure what he came up with is even correct. As you said Sum, what Demoff said makes no sense if it's actually only a 7th rounder.

This story is not over for me until I actually see what pick we get.

Thinking the same.

PhxRam

Nice investigative work..

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Nick Wagoner just tweeted me this...

It is right. Not sure what the conditional pick IND dealt to SF was but Rams get a 7 from IND. Believe Indy had add'l 7 from BAL.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Here's another question...do they hand out compensatory picks for this years draft after the Super Bowl or have this years picks already been awarded for the previous offseason?

Sum1

Hall of Fame

The only thing that I can think is that perhaps this pick is the one that the 49ers will receive...the AQ Shipley trade was done prior to the Cam Johnson trade so they did have it in their arsenal at that point.

Alan

Legend
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/1/7/5282786/49ers-draft-picks-2014-chiefs-titans-49ers-picks
The San Francisco 49ers is hopefully far from complete, but the 2014 NFL Draftorder and their draft picks are slowly coming into focus. Following the weekend's Wild Card round games, the first 24 picks of the 2014 NFL Draftare set. The teams left to figure out their positioning (strength of schedule in parenthesis):

25. San Diego Chargers - 9-7 (.496)
26. Cleveland Browns (via Indianapolis Colts) - 11-5 (.484)
27. New Orleans Saints - 11-5 (.516)
28. New England Patriots - 12-4 (.473)
29. Carolina Panthers - 12-4 (.494)
30. San Francisco 49ers - 12-4 (.494)
31. Denver Broncos - 13-3 (.469)
32. Seattle Seahawks - 13-3 (.490)

As it currently stands, the 49ers could end up drafting anywhere from No. 26 to No. 32 in the first round. I think we all would prefer the No. 32 pick. Whatever pick they end up with, odds are pretty good they make some kind of trade with it. We saw it this past April, and I'd bet good money we'll see it again next May. I have no idea if it will be a move up or down, but Trent Baalke, Draft Ninja, will be moving.

Although we don't know the positioning of the 49ers seven own draft picks, we are getting a better idea of where some of their other picks will start lining up. The first pick is of course the second round pick belonging to the Kansas City Chiefs. It started the season as a third round pick, but when the Chiefs got to the 8-win mark, it became a second round pick. The Chiefs won their first nine in a row, and once it was clear they were going to be a playoff team, we had to wait and see what their final position would look like.

With Saturday's loss, the Chiefs finish the season with pick No. 23 in the first round. The second round pick that belongs to the 49ers is actually pick No. 24 of the round (No. 56 overall). The Chiefs held the same record as the Bengals at the end of the regular season. The playoff positioning determines the first round order, but then teams with similar records in similar positions rotate each round.

The second pick is the Titans third round pick, acquired when the 49ers moved down in the second round last season to select Tank Carradine. That Titans pick that now belongs to the 49ers is No. 13 of the third round (No. 77 overall).

The 49ers close out the draft with four seventh round picks. They have their own pick, plus picks from the Colts (for Cam Johnson), Saints (for Parys Haralson) and Panthers (for Colin Jones). Those picks are all still to be determined for a couple reasons. First, those three teams all remain in the playoffs, so their positioning in each round is not determined.

Additionally, third, fourth, fifth and sixth round compensation picks are still to be determined. Those will not effect what pick in the round each is, but will effect where they are overall. That is pertinent in terms of trade value. Players selected in the seventh round often end up as camp bodies, but seventh round picks have tremendous value as add-ins to move up in other rounds. For example, the 49ers packaged a seventh with their third in 2013 to swap places with the Packers, and select Corey Lemonier.

The 49ers are also looking at a potential third round compensation pick for Dashon Goldson. Comp picks will not be announced until after the season. The team is not able to trade those picks, although it obviously makes life a little easier to deal other picks, knowing you have those in your back pocket.

And so for now, the 49ers are looking at something like this for May:

Round 1, Pick X
Round 2, Pick 24 (Chiefs)
Round 2, Pick X
Round 3, Pick 13 (Titans)
Round 3, Pick X
Round 3, Pick X (Comp)
Round 4, Pick X
Round 5, Pick X
Round 6, Pick X
Round 7, Pick X (Saints)
Round 7, Pick X (Panthers)
Round 7, Pick X (Colts)
Round 7, Pick X

Here's the best I could do. Sorry about it being the Whiners.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Here's another question...do they hand out compensatory picks for this years draft after the Super Bowl or have this years picks already been awarded for the previous offseason?
I asked about this a couple days ago. I was wondering the same thing. They should get something for Amendola and SJ39 leaving.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Who the Rams signed: Jake Long, Jared Cook, Matt Giordano, Will Witherspoon (anyone I am forgetting?)

Who we lost (players that were cut don't apply): SJ39, Amendola, Gibson, Turner, C. Dahl, B. Richardson, S. Smith, Z. Potter

I think we could potentially get a 7th round pick...maybe 2.