Moving back into the 1st?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
It's always tantalizing to think about moving up in the draft, right? Nothing is more exciting than a 1st rounder.

However...

This team is at a point on both sides of the ball where what we need more than a great draft is a productive Free Agency period and a comprehensively tough and meticulous offseason. With some veterans to help lead the way in a new system, the talent on our roster should be able to make the pivot, both defensively and offensively, to learning and excelling in proven and coherent systems. Players have to show more than a desire to "play better next year," they have to get better.

1st rounders are great. But the Jared Goff trade doesn't bother me because this team will have to stop making wagers and wishes (I'll always think of Fisher as someone who hoped the players would play well), and start instead building success and forging a successful process. Part of what that means is shifting the focus away from rookie-potential, and more towards developing the potential of what's here. Rely less on the joy and prospect of digging up clay, and look instead to producing quality with the mounds of clay we've already got, and locating and acquiring players who are already molded that way.

The draft is a great shot in the arm, a transfusion of youth and hope and depth. But missing out on having an early pick is never going to make or break a team, or even an off-season. It's what's done by way of scheme-setting and scheme-evolution, nurturing and developing the roster talent, and finding formula- and character-fits for players on or coming to the team that will ultimately decide how good your March-August has been. That's my belief anyway.

So, anyway, no. Unless the target is specific and the cost low enough to justify it (I realize how vague that is, but the point is that no situation is black and white), don't give up assets, draft where you sit in the second round. Draft is always fluid. There are guys worth coveting. But don't move up for the sake of picking higher. Move up to pick the right guy.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Why create more holes than what we have? We'd lose pick and a player to get an unproven player. That might be okay for a team like the Patriots, who always win, but when you're a bottom tier team looking to climb up, you don't trade your best players.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Why create more holes than what we have? We'd lose pick and a player to get an unproven player. That might be okay for a team like the Patriots, who always win, but when you're a bottom tier team looking to climb up, you don't trade your best players.

You might if you are undergoing a scheme change due to a new coaching philosophy. I'm not so certain how guys like Ogletree and Barron will fare at ILB, same with Hayes at LDE. Not in the category of best players at their position, but how do Westbrooks, Longacre & Trinca-Pasat fit ? If a good player doesn't appear to fit, seek trades for even talent wherever possible imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So for me, that's "par" - therefore to be we were subpar.

That's not what subpar means, though. It means below average. It doesn't mean below the expectations you have for the defense. But whatever.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
You might if you are undergoing a scheme change due to a new coaching philosophy. I'm not so certain how guys like Ogletree and Barron will fare at ILB, same with Hayes at LDE. Not in the category of best players at their position, but how do Westbrooks, Longacre & Trinca-Pasat fit ? If a good player doesn't appear to fit, seek trades for even talent wherever possible imo.

Ogletree played ILB in a 3-4 during his time in college. Barron is a question mark, but he's not going to yield you a 1st round pick. We also may be losing a safety in McDonald and Barron can be converted back to safety.

This switch can't happen over night. We can't make the full adjustment while also trying to dig our offense out of the gutter.

Trading someone like Barron and a 2nd to move into the first is basically just losing a starter.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Ogletree played ILB in a 3-4 during his time in college. Barron is a question mark, but he's not going to yield you a 1st round pick. We also may be losing a safety in McDonald and Barron can be converted back to safety.

This switch can't happen over night. We can't make the full adjustment while also trying to dig our offense out of the gutter.

Trading someone like Barron and a 2nd to move into the first is basically just losing a starter.

I'm not proposing a trade back into the 1'st round, what i'm suggesting is that 'Tree' may be a better WLB than MILB. His run defense is poor as a MLB, i'd rather see him returned (traded) to where he might be better utilized than be less successful as a Wade Phillips ILB. He also has no dead money applied to our CAP if moved, where he is likely to seek Barron type wages following this, his 5'th year option contract where he is eligible to become a free agent in 2018.
The Rams have Alexander at SS, no reason to add Barron's huge salary and CAP hit for a redundant player. If the opportunity arises, move him and apply that CAP towards a free agent who better fits a Phillips defensive scheme. jmo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How did moving Bettis NOT work out for us? Doubtful we trade for Marshall if we keep Bettis
And if Lawrence Philips could have stayed out of jail, we also may not have traded for MF. The Bettis trade was a disaster for the Rams because not only did they not get proper value, they drafted this bone head to replace him

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
im up for trading anyone really (bar Goff and Donald (pay the man ) and Gurley (unless its a huge deal) )

with the change in coaching philosophy id be up for giving McVay and Wade (McWade ? ) as much ammo as they needed in the draft to bring the team inline with their coaching ideals

the only caveat i put on a trade on if there is "value" there (at least a 1st plus other rounds for the likes of tavon Quinn ogletree )

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
im up for trading anyone really (bar Goff and Donald (pay the man ) and Gurley (unless its a huge deal) )

with the change in coaching philosophy id be up for giving McVay and Wade (McWade ? ) as much ammo as they needed in the draft to bring the team inline with their coaching ideals

the only caveat i put on a trade on if there is "value" there (at least a 1st plus other rounds for the likes of tavon Quinn ogletree )

EDIT : Im also fine if we dont make any trades

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
But don't move up for the sake of picking higher. Move up to pick the right guy.
And, If I might add, he better have the starting talent of a Aaron Donald, on Offense or Defense, which ever way we go. IF we move up!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wouldn't mind giving up all the picks, trading up and down, as long as we get 3 or 4 picks in the top 100. Grab the others outta UDFA....hell, we didn't have ONE pick contribute this year...if we get 3 next draft, that's a win.