Move Over Seahawks, the Rams Have the Best Defense/MMQB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Move Over Seahawks, the Rams Have the Best Defense
By Andy Benoit

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/08/11/nfl-st-louis-rams-defense

The average age of a Rams’ starting defender is 25, and the average level of athleticism is off the charts

The past two years, the best defense in pro football has resided in the NFC West. That will be true again in 2015, only this time it won’t be the Seahawks’ D. It will be the team that beat the Seahawks in the Edwards Jones Dome last season. The Rams have won just 13 games during Seattle’s two years of dominance, but they’ve been a team full of young players who are now ascending into the early parts of their primes. The average age of a Rams’ starting defender is 25; the average level of athleticism is “somewhere off the charts.”

Let’s start with the area fans are most familiar with: the defensive line. It features the game’s most explosive edge rusher, Robert Quinn, and, already, the game’s most explosive interior gap-shooter, Aaron Donald, last year’s 13th overall pick. Donald has extremely quick get-off, well-honed footwork and the capacity to shed blocks and redirect in traffic. Though he’s at his best fighting the run, he’s capable of also being a 10-sack pass rusher (rare for a defensive tackle).

Head coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead have done a great job building the rest of this D-line. In their first year here, 2012, they drafted Michael Brockers in the first round. He’s turned out to be an outstanding pass rushing setup man in sub-packages and a tough one-on-one block on base downs. Fisher and Snead also locked up Chris Long to a long-term deal their first year, which has paid dividends, and they signed former Titan William Hayes to provide depth. And the one remaining player they inherited, Eugene Sims, has blossomed into a productive, versatile backup, capable of starting for many 4-3 teams. (He may get that opportunity next year; Sims is in the final year of his contract. Long’s 2016 cap number is $14.25 million, which the club is unlikely to keep on the books, and Hayes is in the final year of his deal. There will be a hole to fill at defensive end.)

Sims can also play defensive tackle, though with Fisher and Snead snagging free agent Nick Fairley this past offseason, there won’t be as many snaps available there. Fairley’s reliability is questionable—why else would such a gifted 27-year-old garner only a one-year, $5 million deal in free agency?—but when he’s right, he’s similar to Brockers, only with more natural leverage and a little better initial quickness.

At the linebacker level, James Laurinaitis is an intelligent point man whose pre-snap adjustments, blitzes and disguises give this defense diversity. But the headliner of this group will be Alec Ogletree, the 2013 first-round pick who last season began consistently playing up to his considerable level of raw talent. Ogletree, a safety at Georgia, covers ground in the flats and maneuvers well through traffic. He can match up to running backs or tight ends in man coverage, and he’s developing a keener sense for angles as a zone defender. Opposite him is a lesser but still commendable athlete in newcomer Akeem Ayers. He replaces Jo-Lonn Dunbar, who is one of the game’s best at taking on lead-blockers but is an otherwise limited player.

Ayers, a former Titan-turned-Patriot last season, has a multifaceted skillset that has never been fully showcased in his four-year career. There’s no guarantee it will in St. Louis, either. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams loves employing various nickel and dime sub-packages (more on that in a moment), and he has a great box safety to use in Mark Barron. With Ogletree too good to take off the field and Laurinaitis too smart, Ayers would be the odd man out if Williams again wants to feature Barron’s blitzing in “big nickel,” much like he did after the Rams acquired him from Tampa Bay last October.

Barron won’t start because the Rams already have a potential top-three strong safety in T.J. McDonald. You haven’t heard much about the third-year pro, but that will change. At 6’2”, 220, McDonald covers ground like an antelope when filling down in the box, and he’s an assertive presence in coverage, including man-to-man. At free safety, Rodney McLeod is not Earl Thomas, but he’s fast in his own right, which, with continuously improving awareness, gives him range. McLeod’s growth only affords Williams more freedom for deploying his blitzers.

That’s something Williams does with relentless aggression and creativity. It’s long been his M.O., and, given that he’s built a pressure-based scheme despite having the league’s most dangerous four-man front, it’s safe to declare that it will forever be his M.O. This youthful defense, especially the secondary, had a difficult time initially picking up the nuances of Williams’s system. Far too often, its coverage concepts did not sync up to the design up front.

But this issue abated as last season progressed. Now, with the secondary having just completed a second offseason under Williams, it should all but vanish. Corners Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson and E.J. Gaines (a surprisingly sturdy presence in the slot as a sixth-round rookie last year who hopefully will overcome a foot injury he’s currently battling) will be asked to play a variety of matchup-zone concepts. Thanks to the pressure designs, each individual will often be able to extend more aggression to his preferred style of play. For Jenkins, this means jumping routes from off-coverage. For Johnson, it means probably the same, he plays a lot of off-coverage on the outside. Gaines, though an inside player, would likely elect to play with more physicality. It’s the strength that has propelled him ahead of fellow rookie Lamarcus Joyner (a second round pick) for slot duties. Gaines is also versatile in zone concepts, which Williams takes full advantage of. (A few times last season, the cornerback even rotated to middle linebacker in Tampa 2 coverage, taking away the deep middle hole in pass defense.)

St. Louis’s defense may not finish first in yards or points allowed this season—though it’s sure to be much higher than near the middle, where it finished a year ago. But in terms of creating team-wide success that contributes directly to victories, it will surpass Seattle as the league’s best D. The Rams’ foundation is built on big plays, and there will be enough of them to put this team in the playoffs for the first time since 2004.

Rams Nickel Package

1. The trade for Nick Foles is another example of the Rams digging in and becoming a totally defense-oriented team. Foles, with his slower delivery and need for clearer defined reads, is built to be a classic game-managing QB. (No shame in that.) This not only fits a run-based offense, it also means the Rams don’t have to sacrifice an enormous chunk of cap space after signing the 26-year-old to a two-year, $24.5 million deal. That leaves more money available for holding onto defenders like Quinn (already signed long-term), Donald, Ogletree and McDonald, all young “top three” players at their positions. This, by the way, is similar to Seattle’s current blueprint, which is why the Russell Wilson contract situation is so interesting.

2. A passing-based offense needs only an adequate O-line. A run-based offense, however, needs a dominant one. Hence the selection of Greg Robinson with the No. 2 overall pick in 2014. Now the fulltime left tackle, Robinson will be the fulcrum of many man-blocking concepts on the perimeter, where his uncommon combination of size and mobility can be highlighted. In the zone game, which new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti reportedly plans to employ more of this season, Robinson can be a downfield mauler at the point of attack. (Remember, not all zone ground games are laterally based like what we’ve seen from Alex Gibbs style systems over the years. There’s also “inside zone,” which is built on power and double teams.) It was good to see the Rams commit second-and third-round picks to right tackle Rob Havenstein and guard Jamon Brown. Upgrades were needed along the O-line.

3. It’s important that Cignetti help his receivers schematically the way previous coordinator Brian Schottenheimer did. Schottenheimer got production out of middle-tier players like Kenny Britt, Jared Cook and Tavon Austin via stack-release concepts and intertwined route combinations. These tactics also help define reads for the quarterback. Cignetti will have to maintain this because none of St. Louis’s receivers, except for maybe Brian Quick, who missed much of the offseason with a shoulder injury, are capable of consistently creating their own separation.

4. Speaking of Austin, if he’s not featured as a misdirection weapon or decoy at least six times a game, it means the Rams are using him wrong.

5. Two underrated but highly important members of this offense: tight end Lance Kendricks and H-back Cory Harkey. Both are flex pieces behind the line of scrimmage, bringing valuable dimension to the ground game.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams to the PlayOffs...I am glad MMQB agrees with me..

Moostache

Rookie
I will feel much better about the season if we beat Seattle convincingly on opening day.
We have had good success against their offense due to our defense matching up very well to their weaknesses; but their defense simply owns our offense.

The O-Line is the key. Everything for this team is going to come down to 3 things along the line:
1) Greg Robinson....he was drafted and touted as a mauler in the run game...he better start mauling.
2) Center...honestly, this scares the shit out of me right now from what I have read and what I have seen. We desperately need someone to emerge as the answer here.
3) Starting an all-rookie right side (Brown and Haverstein)...this worked out OK for the Bears a couple years ago with Mills and Long - moreso with Long than Mills it turns out; but historically its hard to find a lot of successful teams with that little experience on one side of the line.

Defense also needs to stop having sawdust brain moments. Jenkins and the rest of the secondary need to stop turning guys loose 2-3 times a game, the D-line needs to get started before week 7 this year and the LB corp (including Barron as the "Big Nickel") need to lock down the tackling and missed assignments as well. Big plays, turnovers and anemic offense have plagued the last 2 seasons. 2 of those 3 can be changed in a heartbeat...the anemic offense though, well, maybe practicing against a dominant defense will help them when the real bullets fly...I sure hope so!

jjab360

Legend
I don't know who this Benoit guy is, but glad to see somebody in the media catching on.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was this early in his time at Georgia? I thought the majority of his time was at LB there.
He played SS his freshman year, then when he got back his sophmore year he was an ILB from there out.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fisher and Snead also locked up Chris Long to a long-term deal their first year, which has paid dividends, and they signed former Titan William Hayes to provide depth. And the one remaining player they inherited, Eugene Sims, has blossomed into a productive, versatile backup, capable of starting for many 4-3 teams. (He may get that opportunity next year; Sims is in the final year of his contract. Long’s 2016 cap number is $14.25 million, which the club is unlikely to keep on the books, and Hayes is in the final year of his deal. There will be a hole to fill at defensive end.)
I don't completely agree with this Op! especially this^ portion! Chris Long won't be going anywhere ( As this implies!) he's waaay too valuable to the Team!!

jjab360

Legend
I don't completely agree with this Op! especially this^ portion! Chris Long won't be going anywhere ( As this implies!) he's waaay too valuable to the Team!!
I don't think he's saying we're going to get rid of Long just that we're extremely unlikely to pay him that much money. Whether that means a restructure, an extension with less money, or a cut and re-sign, I'm not sure.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Andy Benoit ‏@Andy_Benoit

#Rams Notes: Austin misdirection must be a more featured element of the offense. Will be a bland O otherwise.

#Rams Notes: Austin misdirection also a way to define the reads for Foles, which he needs to fully turn it loose.

#Rams Notes: Schottenheimer was very good with stack release and route combos to help WR’s. Will Cignetti be?

#Rams Notes: Britt and rest of STL receivers have to be helped by scheme. Can’t consistently get open on own.

#Rams Notes: QB Foles strictly a complementary player, which is what this D-oriented team (and its long-term cap situation) is built for.

#Rams Notes: LT Robinson better run-blocker than pass-blocker at this point. Pertains to mechanics.

#Rams Notes: Tre Mason capable of being a 1,200-yd feature back somewhere.

#Rams Notes: selection of Gurley tells you how committed Rams are to being a D-based, run-based team.

#Rams Notes: Rams will be one of best coverage disguise teams in the game.

#Rams Notes: With dominant DL and so many blitzes, Rams secondary can play high-risk, high-reward football.

#Rams Notes: Don’t forget, Rams also have an excellent “big nickel”/dime LB in Mark Barron. He was fantastic as blitzer last yr.

#Rams Notes: Where does Ayers play in sub-packages? Laurinaitis and Ogletree not going out + Rams don’t need another edge rusher.

#Rams Notes: Surprised Ayers is supplanting Dunbar in base D. Better athlete, yes, but Dunbar great at taking on lead-blocks.

#Rams Notes: CB Jenkins chance to be a great off-coverage playmaker in this scheme, but needs to be significantly more consistent.

#Rams Notes: While Seahawks are very simple schematically, Rams very complex and diverse. Interested to see contrast play out.

#Rams Notes: Collectively, Rams are the fastest defense in NFL.

#Rams Notes: Another top-3 player at his position will be SS T.J. McDonald. Lanky, rangy, physical, versatile.

#Rams Notes: Laurinaitis not elite talent but gives this D valuable dimension w/ high presnap IQ.

#Rams Notes: Alec Ogletree on verge of being a top-three 4-3 OLB. Athletic in flats, learning to read and traverse traffic.

#Rams Notes: In addition to best 4-3 DE and 4-3 DT in NFL, Rams DL may also boasts the best depth.

#Rams Notes: Aaron Donald will, by season’s end, be considered the game’s best 3-tech. 10-sack caliber guy who’s even better vs. run.

#Rams Notes: Robert Quinn the most explosive edge-rusher in the NFL. And it’s not close. Incredible bendability, too.

#Rams Notes: STL can supplant SEA as best defense in NFL this yr. They’ll be more up and down than SEA but ultimately more dangerous.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The Rams’ foundation is built on big plays, and there will be enough of them to put this team in the playoffs for the first time since 2004.
4945344281_im_shocked_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Was this early in his time at Georgia? I thought the majority of his time was at LB there.
I recall hearing Ogletree was the no. 2 rated safety coming out of high school, could be wrong but i could have sworn I heard that in one of his videos.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
High School: Newnan, coached by Mike McDonald...Under Armour All-American...2009 USA TodayAll-USA First Team...Parade Magazine All-American... Sporting News Top 100....2009 Atlanta Journal-Constitution Super 11, Class AAAAA Defensive Player of the Year, All-Decade Team, All-State First Team, No. 2 on Top 50 list...SuperPrep Elite 50, All-America, and All-Dixie teams... PrepStar Top 150 Dream Team...GSWA Class AAAAA Defensive Player of the Year, All-State team... MaxPreps.com #2 safety nationally, #29 overall...ESPN.com 150, #4 safety nationally, #29 overall...Scout.com five-star prospect, #3 outside linebacker nationally, #7 player in the South, #22 overall player nationally, Dawg Post #2 player in Georgia...Rivals.com four-star prospect, #3 safety nationally....Rivals100 2010 #40....Mobile Press-Register Super Southeast 120...Newnan Times-Herald County Player of the Year...played in Georgia North-South High School All-Star game...2008 GSWA All-State...2008 AJC All-State Honorable Mention... three-year starter for Newnan during a stretch where the team went 37-4 and made the GHSA state semifinals twice...blocked a field goal with five seconds to go and caught the winning touchdown pass during Newnan's 9-7 win over Grayson in the 2009 GHSA playoffs...finished the 2009 season with 85 tackles, including five tackles for loss, two forced fumbles, two interceptions and two blocked kicks...also recorded 33 receptions for 633 yards and five touchdowns on offense...as a junior in 2008 had 75 tackles, three interceptions and six blocked punts...as a sophomore in 2007 had six blocked punts and returned one for a touchdown...also was a starter on the basketball team and ran the 400-meter dash and the 4x100 relay and long jumped for the Cougars.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/alec_ogletree_714187.html

jap

Legend
If the Horns D is truly superior, they can prove in Week One rather than have the media yapping about it. Who's interested in having the "best defense" only on paper? Let's stuff reality down the 'Hawks throats!

FRO

Legend
If we are to be a playoff team, a top 5 defense is an absolute must. No more slow starts out of the defense. Heck I want to see them even dominate in preseason. It seems like the vanilla preseason defense has carried over through the first 4 games of the regular season the past 2 years.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I've actually grown tired of being told how good the Rams defense is or can be yet they have continued to be the worst in the division.

ProveIt.jpg

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
I've actually grown tired of being told how good the Rams defense is or can be yet they have continued to be the worst in the division.

ProveIt.jpg
Totally agree. It's time to show it. The talent looks like it's there, same with the coaching. Just do it.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler

ProveIt.jpg
I get what you're saying about the hype, but being the "worst" in this division is not being bad or even mediocre. In fact, the defense was still one of the best in the league. Per Football Outsiders, they were the 9th in defensive efficiency ratings.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Still, it is time for the defense to step up and become the best in this division and the league. There is way too much talent there.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I'm split on this article as I love the gist but the particulars are just plain weird, like "Dunbar's one of the best in the NFL taking on lead blockers". Dunbar is certainly better against the run than pass and can stuff the run, but come on, he's far from the best anything at this point. Oh well, I'll just enjoy the headline and skip the rest of the article.