Mother of deceased Chiefs LB Jovan Belcher sues the team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My god this is annoying!

The US needs to get a handled on the frivolous law suits. This is RIDICULOUS!

Let's not take any ownership for how this kid was raised! Instead; ride the coat tails of CTE. After all, it had to be the NFL that made this kid a murderer.

:disappoint:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...eceased-chiefs-lb-jovan-belcher-sues-the-team

Cheryl Shepherd, the mother of deceased Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against the Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday, according to the Kansas City Star.

The lawsuit, filed in Jackson County, Mo., alleges that Belcher was subjected to "repetitive head trauma" during his four seasons with the Chiefs.

The lawsuit also alleges that Belcher "suffered multiple concussive and subconcussive blows to the head which caused or contributed to cause a a constellation of neurologic/brain harms, including post concussion syndrome... and traumatic brain injuries, such as Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)." Shepherd is seeking damages in excess of $15,000 in the suit.

Shepherd was in her son's home on Dec. 1, 2012 when he shot and killed his girlfriend before taking his own life a short time later in the parking lot of the Chiefs' team facilities.

At the request of his family, Belcher's body was exhumed earlier this month to look for possible evidence of CTE.

"If his brain had been examined (when he died), we'd have a better understanding of why he did what he did,” Dr. Bennet Omalu, the man credited with discovering the brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), said earlier this month. "We would have a better understanding about concussions and playing football, and we would advance the understanding of the science of all of this."

Belcher's mother is suing the Chiefs on a total of four counts that include: the team was negligent in maintaining a safe working environement; they told Belcher his mental-health issues weren't related to any head trauma he suffered playing football; the Chiefs knew that CTE was a risk, but they concealed that information from Belcher and the team wrongfully contributed to his death.

PhxRam

I dont blame the family, I blame the lawyer who you know damn well took this case pro bono

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if she's right? Why do people vilify a person for using the rights given to them by this great country? If her case is frivolous, odds are that it'll be dismissed or the jury will find in favor of the team.

But maybe she's right about the team concealing information/misleading him and if she is, she has every right to seek legal recourse.

Last edited by a moderator:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And if she's right? Why do people vilify a person for using the rights given to them by this great country? If her case is frivolous, odds are that it'll be dismissed or the jury will find in favor of the team.

But maybe she's right about the team concealing information/misleading him and if she is, she has every right to seek legal recourse.

The problem is there is no way to prove her point. It's a money grab and she knows it and so does her attorney. Even if he had advanced CTE, which is unlikely as it takes years to get to that point, how could you link his murdering his girlfriend then shooting himself? It would be impossible.

There is NO WAY a judge or jury would sign off on that.

Here is a little more info, the use of the buzz-word "bullied" appears in the suit. This is a poorly crafted attempt to get the Chiefs to write a check to her. Most likely she didn't get a chance to get her hands on any of his money when he was alive so now she is doing it over his corpse. When you read an article or two it seems clear she is after money.

I hate to sound so callous but after one year it seems to me a lawyer finally got her to file charges at a time when the NFL is a bit vulnerable with the concussion lawsuit being settled and the case with the Dolphins and bullying.

Also, this is the same woman that said the incident was due to an argument about paternity. That was her story a year ago. CTE never came up.

You can read it here and this is worth reading from beginning to end.

http://nypost.com/2012/12/14/baby-t...chers-rage-leading-to-murder-suicide-sources/

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

My issue is tying up the legal system and attempt to fault a person/organization for money over a tragic situation where there is plenty of blame to go around.

Where is the line these days?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
My issue is tying up the legal system and attempt to fault a person/organization for money over a tragic situation where there is plenty of blame to go around.

Where is the line these days?

The line has long been blurred and now is at the point where it doesn't even exist anymore. As long as there is no repercussion to filing frivolous lawsuits or making false accusations they will continue to happen.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The amount of idiotic lawsuits are ridiculous. How would they possibly prove this? If he was cremated, no chance, if he was buried-- I don't know the decomp level of a year old dead guy, I have the understanding that the caskets are air right and they can last for a while. The only thing I would be okay with here, is anything she wins, going into an account for his daughter to receive when she is 25 years old.

bluecoconuts

Legend
15K won't go very far even if its allowed to grow. Hell half of that will probably go towards legal fees alone.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm thinking that has to be a misprint

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
His daughter will be financially taken care of. The insurance from the CBA pays her in chunks. Its in the article I linked.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Doesn't seem worth it. Surprised chiefs don't just pay it and say shut up.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
His daughter will be financially taken care of. The insurance from the CBA pays her in chunks. Its in the article I linked.
I thought I read something about the players all putting money in a fund for her. I think Jamaal Charles is married to Belchers baby mommas sister. Some kind of tie there

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
From the article I linked:

Under the surviving-child benefit of the NFL’s collective-bargaining agreement, little Zoey stands to receive more than $1 million.

NFL players-union spokesman George Atallah did not respond to several calls or e-mails asking whether the payout plan was contingent on a paternity test.

The child is slated to get $108,000 annually over the next four years, $48,000 in the fifth year and then $52,000 each year until she’s 18 — or 23, if she attends college.

Belcher’s beneficiary also will get $600,000 in life insurance, a $100,000 retirement account and $200,000 for each season he played. Belcher was in his fourth season with the Chiefs.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

You mean like they did in the hot coffee case et al? Juries are prone to award damages because they feel for the "victim" and not for the side they feel has deep pockets.

As to the amount they are seeking? There HAS to be a mistake there. What would that number pay for and what attorney is going to take a case against the NFL knowing that at best he is going to get $7,500 + fees for what will likely be at least a years' worth of work. And the Chiefs would be insane to settle for fear of precedent. I would bet that the NFL won't even let them settle unless they know for absolute certainty that all evidence and files are spygated away.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You mean like they did in the hot coffee case et al? Juries are prone to award damages because they feel for the "victim" and not for the side they feel has deep pockets.

As to the amount they are seeking? There HAS to be a mistake there. What would that number pay for and what attorney is going to take a case against the NFL knowing that at best he is going to get $7,500 + fees for what will likely be at least a years' worth of work. And the Chiefs would be insane to settle for fear of precedent. I would bet that the NFL won't even let them settle unless they know for absolute certainty that all evidence and files are spygated away.

Yep. Like they did. The woman had a valid legal argument and the jury awarded her damages.