Most Likely 2022 Playoff Party Crashers (and the Teams They’ll Supplant)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
So... now that we're through most of the talent movement/acquisition phase of the offseason, which teams are most likely to break into, and fall out of, the playoffs in 2022.

Here are my lists:

Most Likely Party Crashers

1. Indianapolis Colts
The Colts just missed the playoffs last year, and responded by replacing Carson Wentz with Matt Ryan. I also like the additions of Yannick Ngakoue, Stephon Gilmore and Nick Cross to an already strong defense. I could easily see them jumping over the Titans and winning the AFC South.

2. Los Angeles Chargers
Another team that was on the cusp last year, and made splash moves by trading for Khalil Mack and signing J.C. Jackson. I'm not sure they've solved their run defense problem but, more importantly, their division is a beast. Still, I think that they have a strong chance of making it to the postseason in 2022.

3. Baltimore Ravens
The Ravens imploded last year when Lamar Jackson was injured. They need to keep him healthy this year. As for their other injury bug issues... a strong draft provides them with great depth, and a couple of immediate impact starters in Kyle Hamilton and Tyler Linderbaum.

4. Cleveland Browns
This one comes down to the status of newly acquired QB Deshaun Watson. If (1) the Browns can win without him if he is suspended for several games, and (2) he regains his form from two years ago, the Browns have a ton of talent and should be a playoff contender. I still see some disfunction in this organization, though, so I wouldn't be my house on them.

5. New Orleans Saints
I considered going with the Broncos here, but how many AFC teams can crash the party? The NFL seems a bit more static at this point, with most of the teams that made the postseason positioned to return. The Saints, though, could be the team that breaks through, as they have a very strong defense, and could have a great receiving corps with the return of Michael Thomas and the addition of Chris Olave. Its going to come down to the QB play, which is definitely a concern, and will likely be their ultimate downfall.

Most Likely to Fall From Grace

1. Pittsburgh Steelers
The Steelers were lucky to make it last year, and now will be starting either Mitch Trubisky or rookie Kenny Pickett at QB. The Ravens' and Browns' rise will be the Steelers' fall in the NFC North.

2. New England Patriots
Another playoff team from last year that really didn't impress me that much. They will face much tougher competition within their own division. The Bills are stacked, and the Jets and Dolphins (who are not "party crashers" because I don't trust their QBs) are much improved. It would not shock me if the Patriots struggle to win 8-9 games in 2022.

3. Las Vegas Raiders
The Raiders improved their roster this offseason, adding Davante Adams and Chandler Jones, and could nonetheless drop out of the playoff picture. A big reason is that the rest of their division also improved significantly. I'm guessing some will disagree with me here, but I see the Raiders as a likely "odd man out."

4. Philadelphia Eagles
As I have one NFC party crasher, I feel like I should identify the team they're likely to replace. I consider Arizona, a team that really fell off the rails late last year, but the Eagles are my choice. I just don't trust their QB play, and they're not exceptional in any phase of the game.

5. Tennessee Titans
This one may be a reach, but I feel like there very well could be a 10 win team in the AFC that will miss the dance. The Titans could be that team, as they have the least reliable QB among the playoff contenders, and will face tougher competition from the Colts within their own division.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So... now that we're through most of the talent movement/acquisition phase of the offseason, which teams are most likely to break into, and fall out of, the playoffs in 2022.

Here are my lists:

Most Likely Party Crashers

5. New Orleans Saints
I considered going with the Broncos here, but how many AFC teams can crash the party? The NFL seems a bit more static at this point, with most of the teams that made the postseason positioned to return. The Saints, though, could be the team that breaks through, as they have a very strong defense, and could have a great receiving corps with the return of Michael Thomas and the addition of Chris Olave. Its going to come down to the QB play, which is definitely a concern, and will likely be their ultimate downfall.

Most Likely to Fall From Grace

2. New England Patriots
Another playoff team from last year that really didn't impress me that much. They will face much tougher competition within their own division. The Bills are stacked, and the Jets and Dolphins (who are not "party crashers" because I don't trust their QBs) are much improved. It would not shock me if the Patriots struggle to win 8-9 games in 2022.

3. Las Vegas Raiders
The Raiders improved their roster this offseason, adding Davante Adams and Chandler Jones, and could nonetheless drop out of the playoff picture. A big reason is that the rest of their division also improved significantly. I'm guessing some will disagree with me here, but I see the Raiders as a likely "odd man out."

4. Philadelphia Eagles
As I have one NFC party crasher, I feel like I should identify the team they're likely to replace. I consider Arizona, a team that really fell off the rails late last year, but the Eagles are my choice. I just don't trust their QB play, and they're not exceptional in any phase of the game.
Well, I don't like the Saints making post season and I'm going strictly by Head Coach as Dennis Allen IMO, will have them at 7-10 or 8-9 IMO. I would love to write off the Patriots and I do think their division improved, but the Eagles with A.J. Brown should be better and I didn't expect them to make it last year.

I like the Raiders this year barring injury, but I think you're right only three teams can make it from that division like the NFC West last year and I believe it will be the Chargers, Chiefs & Broncos, unless Nathanial Hackett is a failure as a first time Head Coach.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Well done. I can't say I disagree with any of it

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Well done, I do disagree strongly with your opinion on the Saints. I just don't have any faith in Dennis Allen or Jameis Winston going forward.
But as they say, " that's why they play the games."

~ArkyRamsFan~

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Good post!

A lot of movement and of course who knows where the injury bug will live.

Added games and no additional roster spots is just stupid.

It’s a QB world and without a bonafide stud it’s hard to clear the middle of the pack.

How many teams make it this year 8?,8?10??? From each conference??

AFC
Bills, Chefs, Bolts, Titans, Colts, Ravens and Bengals

NFC
Rams, Packers, Vikings, Bucs, Cowboys, and 9ers, Eagles?????

Edited to add Bengals.

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
Has a team been on the cusp during the offseason more than the Chargers? Every offseason it seems like they make some decent moves that will move the needle in the right direction and than just choke it up at some point. Given they've been riddled with injuries lately but seems like they've been on the cusp for 20 years now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Has a team been on the cusp during the offseason more than the Chargers? Every offseason it seems like they make some decent moves that will move the needle in the right direction and than just choke it up at some point. Given they've been riddled with injuries lately but seems like they've been on the cusp for 20 years now.
Plus they have an inexperienced head coach. I think Staley got poached from the Rams way too soon. From little known Linebackers coach to head coach in two seasons. That’s kind of nuts. Then most of the playoff teams have offensive head coaches. I’m not sure Staley gets the Chargers to the playoffs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
AFC has so many teams that could rise. Raiders have a lot of talent and are going to be much more potent. Dolphins are going to be much more potent offensively and still have a really nice defensive roster. Colts simply depend on how much Matt Ryan has left, if he plays well they'll be in it. Broncos had a fantastic defense last year and added Wilson so their hopes come down to that new staff.

Chargers have a real pro running the show in Staley and one of the best young QBs but their defense gave up 27 ppg last year. I like their draft a lot too btw, especially their top two picks, but did they do enough for their defense meh. Ravens don't have enough weapons and I don't think that defensive roster is good enough to compensate. Browns have a good roster but it's hard for me to believe they'll turn it around. And the Steelers are out of it due to QB, he's gonna need at least a year.

And then you have a lot of established and nasty rosters sitting at the top of the AFC like the Bills, Chiefs, Bengals, Titans. The Titans are at a disadvantage at QB but the overall roster quality puts them in that group IMO. I really like what they did in adding Woody and the kid from UCLA late, on top of the AJ replacement in the draft. Chiefs should drop more games in division this year so the home field should be wide open.

AFC playoffs will be insanely good this year. Even the wildcard round will be very nice.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Here's my list of teams I think make the playoffs in 2022. Note: I really don't care about the order, plus, trying to pick especially the order in the AFC as of now is a fools errand.

AFC

Buffalo Bills
Indianapolis Colts
Tennessee Titans
Cincinnati Bengals
Baltimore Ravens
Kansas City Chiefs
Denver Broncos

Bubble: Oakland Raiders

NFC

Los Angeles Rams
Philadelphia Eagles
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Green Bay Packers
San Francisco 49ers
New Orleans Saints
Dallas Cowboys

Bubble: Minnesota Vikings

With the NFC West and AFC West meeting this year, I think it will create divisional separation between the top and bottom teams in each division and that will prevent any division from sending 3 teams to the playoffs. I don't think any other division will be able to send 3, so that's the breakdown... unless Oakland really over performs

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Here's my list of teams I think make the playoffs in 2022. Note: I really don't care about the order, plus, trying to pick especially the order in the AFC as of now is a fools errand.

AFC

Buffalo Bills
Indianapolis Colts
Tennessee Titans
Cincinnati Bengals
Baltimore Ravens
Kansas City Chiefs
Denver Broncos

Bubble: Oakland Raiders

NFC

Los Angeles Rams
Philadelphia Eagles
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Green Bay Packers
San Francisco 49ers
New Orleans Saints
Dallas Cowboys

Bubble: Minnesota Vikings

With the NFC West and AFC West meeting this year, I think it will create divisional separation between the top and bottom teams in each division and that will prevent any division from sending 3 teams to the playoffs. I don't think any other division will be able to send 3, so that's the breakdown... unless Oakland really over performs

No to the Chargers ?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
No to the Chargers ?

Nah. I think in that division, had the Raiders not gotten Adams, that they would have a chance, but crazy as it sounds, my issue with the Chargers is the defense. I just don't think they have the horses to compete in that division on D and with the improvement of the Broncos' offense coupled with their already legit D, I think Denver passed them and Oakland becomes the potential sneak in, but also the AFC West plays the NFC West and I don't think the Chargers match up well with the NFC West which will put them behind other teams in the division that should fare better.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Broncos will make the playoffs with Russell Wilson. Bank it.