Most heartbreaking moments in Los Angeles Rams history

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
ab125d02c57a5ce4ae97a0281a0db263.jpg

Tano

Legend
This was the most heartbreaking non-superbowl moment for me as well.

I thought for sure we were going to the superbowl that year.

We were so much better than the Viqueens that year and we were playing at home instead of the snow and then the mudbowl came.

I was so upset. I know without a doubt if it didn't rain that day we would have won.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
When I think of absolute heartbreaking...I think of a death of a current player or legend in the sport. I think of baseball with Oscar Taveras, Darryl Kile, and Stan Musial. I think of hockey with Pavol Demitra. Football hasn't had much true heartbreak yet. Closest I can come up with is Deacon passing away or, possibly, Philip Lutzenkirchen's death just after he had been cut.

That's heartbreak, to me. I've lived through too much to say that a mere moment in a sport can break my heart like an actual death would break it.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
"Waddy was open" was heartbreaking for this 12 year old surrounded by a bunch of Steelers fans.
(My cousin is John Kolb, so all relatives are Steelers fans)
Did your relatives also juice like those Steeler linemen?

I often wonder how much of the Steeler dynasty was the mere fact that they perfected steroid usage before most other teams had.

Had a co-worker from the late 80's who was from Pittsburgh and claimed to be buddies with a few linemen.

This 5-6" little shit was obviously juicing and told sone stories about his buddies.

Then of course some of their linemen had health issues resulting seemingly from roids.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The Dickerson trade was the worst for me. Especially since I didn't know about it until I saw a guy who looked just like ED on the colts' sideline. I thought it was somebody trying to dress up like him. Then... when i realized it was him... I went ape shit crazy.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The 2003 NFC Divisional playoffs vs Carolina.
The back and fourth. Thinking we had it...but no.
Going to double OT ...just to lose.

I was exhausted after that game.

tempests

Hall of Fame

Carl Ekern, Football Player, 36
AP
  • Aug. 4, 1990

Carl Ekern, a former linebacker with the Los Angeles Rams, died of head injuries on Wednesday when the Jeep he was driving ran off a highway near the Kern County town of Ridgecrest, the California Highway Patrol said.

Mr. Ekern, 36 years old, joined the Rams in 1976 after attending San Jose State University and played with them for 13 years before retiring after the 1988 season.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday near San Jose, and the Rams also said that a memorial service for Mr. Ekern may be conducted later this month when the team returns from playing an exhibition game in West Germany.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
Two great disappointments:

1) Losing to New England two years ago
2) Charlie Cowan, Joe Schibelli, and Eddie Meador still not in the Hall of Fame. They all unquestionably and unequivocally belong in the Hall.

Fidelis

Semper Fi
Name
Fidelis

Carl Ekern, Football Player, 36
AP
  • Aug. 4, 1990

Carl Ekern, a former linebacker with the Los Angeles Rams, died of head injuries on Wednesday when the Jeep he was driving ran off a highway near the Kern County town of Ridgecrest, the California Highway Patrol said.

Mr. Ekern, 36 years old, joined the Rams in 1976 after attending San Jose State University and played with them for 13 years before retiring after the 1988 season.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday near San Jose, and the Rams also said that a memorial service for Mr. Ekern may be conducted later this month when the team returns from playing an exhibition game in West Germany.
One of my favorite Ram players growing up

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Broke my heart when I think Pat Haden threw an INT attempting to hit Ron Jessie in the end zone against the Vikings on the last play of the game. It was Merlin Olsens last career game. After the INT tempers flared on the field, and the last act of the great Merlin Olsen for the Los Angeles Rams was breaking up a fight. I was heartbroken and heartbroken for Merlin.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Broke my heart every time Pat Haden started at QB for the Los Angeles Rams.
Cool photo. Must be from 1978 pre-season when George Allen was brought back but did not even make it to September.

Ray Malavasi took over, and he is on the right.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool photo. Must be from 1978 pre-season when George Allen was brought back but did not even make it to September.

Ray Malavasi took over, and he is on the right.

Correct, George Allen was fired after two preseason games losing to New England 14-0 & San Diego 14-7.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When Vermiel retired and Martz dismantles the GSOT.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
When Vermiel retired and Martz dismantles the GSOT.
Not certain I agree. Remember the Rams went 14-2 in 2001-2002. We beat the Packers and Eagles in the playoffs, having the homefield both times. Then the cheating scandal came to light after our Super Bowl loss to New England. If New England hadn't stolen our playbook (or took pictures of it--same thing), we surely would've won that Super Bowl. The entire future of the Rams hinges on that loss. Funny how things work, though. Perhaps, the team never would've moved back to Los Angeles--and that's not a slam at the good folks of St. Louis who supported the team until the very end. But then again, I believe Stan K. always wanted the team back in Los Angeles.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
Not certain I agree. Remember the Rams went 14-2 in 2001-2002. We beat the Packers and Eagles in the playoffs, having the homefield both times. Then the cheating scandal came to light after our Super Bowl loss to New England. If New England hadn't stolen our playbook (or took pictures of it--same thing), we surely would've won that Super Bowl. The entire future of the Rams hinges on that loss. Funny how things work, though. Perhaps, the team never would've moved back to Los Angeles--and that's not a slam at the good folks of St. Louis who supported the team until the very end. But then again, I believe Stan K. always wanted the team back in Los Angeles.
In 1969 the Rams wore blue and white unis all year long--not the blue and gold. Love the picture, though!! I was watching the game with my pop and we both were frustrated and that frustration remained with my pop until he passed on back in 2009.

Ramon Ram

Starter
When Nolan Cromwell was a foot too short to intercept that TD in the Super Bowl. Cromwell said it still haunts him today.... (Me too.)

"With the underdog Rams ahead 19-17 in the third quarter, Cromwell stepped in front of Steelers' receiver Lynn Swann for a critical interception of a short pass and an open field -- and almost certain TD -- in front of him.

Except he didn't make it. Didn't catch the ball. Didn't score. Nothing."

This^