Mort & Schefter: The guys next in line for NFL head coaching jobs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
I like Jackson and I like the idea of Gase all though I'm not sure he isn't the next Scott Linehan. I want nothing to do with Todd Haley, think he is over rated. And not a fan of Mora or McDaniels. Schwartz would be interesting but is a disciple of Fisher... would the Rams bring him in after just firing Fisher? Would seem a little odd.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
When considering McDaniels you have to remove his chapter with the rams. It is myopic to think that McDaniels was the one OC that was able to install his game plan without meddling or influence from Fisher.
No OC is given free expression under Fisher and not one we have had has been supported.
Yes all HC have influence to some degree over their staff but our situation cripples the OC.
Not saying I am a huge fan but to use his time here as your reasoning is short sided.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
fuck McDaniels he's a puppet. Belichick and the mysterious Ernie Adams run that offense. as soon as he left for Denver and St. Louis everyone saw how shit he was.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hue, like a few have stated.... I'd try this Gase guy...if you fix a QB I give you props...Jake Cutler is almost miracle worker type stuff....then I'd go more new blood...Like College style....guy at Stanford...guy at Mich. State...and yeah, I'd try McDainiel from NE too....

The key is of course, DRAFT THE RIGHT QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just an article I reviewed when googling...If the Rams do indeed relieve Jeff Fisher of his duties, I do believe they will interview McDaniels though....Kroenke embraced the Patriot Paradigm is one reason and he coached in Denver so Kroenke knows of him plus although it was not good, he was the offensive coordinator for one year.

Hey in the end, Hue Jackson is the perfect guy for the Rams, level headed, offensive background and should have the ability to put together a quality coaching staff. Hopefully the Rams agree with you and me because I really believe like you Jackson would be a great fit.

IF the Patriot Paradigm is the continued focus for Kroenke there is a good chance he will let Fish have his 5th season. And in that event I want Martz as the OC. Fish needs passing game expertise and the list of elite OCs who will sign on for year 5 for a coach who might be axed is very, very short. My expectation, however, is that Fish hires some positional coach and we all hope and pray he is special and ready for the job.

If a change is made, then I'm good with Hue. But the market is still unknown tbh. Look at the Bears snapping up Fox for example, you just don't know who will be available in the market.

I do agree with you, Den, that McDaniels deserves a look. When he got his shot under Spags this offense didn't have anything, and the talent onboard is much different now. Sure, he and his expansive ego failed with Denver, but so did Belichick in Cleveland. I think it would be shortsighted to eliminate him from consideration, and his association with Belichick is a positive in my mind. Yeah, I know, all his other coaches have failed with other teams. But that means someone's due to succeed elsewhere and McDaniels might be that guy. He has what I am looking for: elite offensive coaching and gameplanning ability.

The key is passing game knowledge for me. Whoever they bring in, be it OC or HC, needs to bring elite passing game knowledge. That is what is lacking in this staff, and that is why this team is continuously mediocre. You have to be able to pass the ball in today's NFL. You pass to score, and run to kill the clock. The fact the Rams have a RB who can score from anywhere is just as much an advantage to a passing offense as a run-centric offense.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IF the Patriot Paradigm is the continued focus for Kroenke there is a good chance he will let Fish have his 5th season. And in that event I want Martz as the OC.

I don't think that will ever happen I just don't see Martz ever coming back to the NFL with other alternatives. For example if Fisher did stay on, Ken Whisenhunt would be an excellent fit as well as Mike McCoy if the Chargers make a change. I will always be thankful for Martz, however, IMO, that shipped has sailed.

My fear would be the Rams winning a couple more games finishing 6-10 and Fisher stating "We got it right with Boras and it's full steam ahead." Only to be derailed again in 2016 as the more things change the more they remain the same.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
What do you do about a DC? Any way to keep Williams? I actually would like to retain him.

Totally with you on this.

While I don't force any prospective new coach to be forced to take Williams and the defensive staff, I would certainly ask them to consider keeping them around given what they've accomplished. We have a good defensive staff and a lot of defensive talent that is well suited for them and their scheme. They've played decently considering all they've had to deal with this year, and with better health and an NFL-caliber offense, they would be elite. This is one part of the team that does not need to be rebuilt, so why do so? In fact, the prospect of losing the defensive staff and getting someone who wants to change things around is #1 on my list of things that make me reluctant to get rid of Fisher.

Furthermore, if I was an incoming coach, I would ask - no, beg - Williams, Waufle, et. al. to stay put and to keep doing what they have been doing. They are not the problem, they have done a good job developing the talent they've been given, and they are not the reason the Rams season went to sh!t.

For that matter, I also ask Fassel to stay, given that he's done a great job with special teams.

Please, fix only what's broken - the offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think that will ever happen I just don't see Martz ever coming back to the NFL with other alternatives. For example if Fisher did stay on, Ken Whisenhunt would be an excellent fit as well as Mike McCoy if the Chargers make a change. I will always be thankful for Martz, however, IMO, that shipped has sailed.

My fear would be the Rams winning a couple more games finishing 6-10 and Fisher stating "We got it right with Boras and it's full steam ahead." Only to be derailed again in 2016 as the more things change the more they remain the same.

I do not disagree that Martz is not an option, simply what I would like to see.

Wisenhunt would be an outstanding hire, and as good as he is as an OC I think McCoy is better. Either would immediately put Fish on the map, for one year at least until hired away for another HC gig.

What you alluded to with Boras is a legit concern too. And I would be ok with it IF we see a marked and sustained difference over the last four games.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I for one think Fisher WILL BE getting a new contract soon. He has earned the right to attempt to fix the O this off season. I will take Fisher over the hiring the new hot guy every single time. We basically needed to rebuild our OL last year, and still need a couple more players. Who ever thought this season O was going to be a top 15 ranked O, isn't being honest with themselves. OL needs time to gel. Foles was never the big picture answer, but simply a money saver while gaining a 2nd rd pick.
Let's just see how the off season plays out.
I sadly think we won't be able to win another game. In Fisher I Trust!

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
What about Seattle's OC? Anyone have any thoughts on him?

He is an interesting candidate. He has had pretty good success as a OC but alot of his years he had Favre at QB. I think its worth noting also that it was he who pushed to draft Russell Wilson even after they acquired Flynn and had Tavaris Jackson on the roster. He had the right eye for the right QB that year. He has also had limited weapons and his offenses have produced.

He is also not a one trick pony, since Lynch has been out Wilson has thrown 11 TD's to 0 INT's and the offense has thrived.

Of course he is also the same guy who called a pass play in the SB lol.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When considering McDaniels you have to remove his chapter with the rams. It is myopic to think that McDaniels was the one OC that was able to install his game plan without meddling or influence from Fisher.
No OC is given free expression under Fisher and not one we have had has been supported.
Yes all HC have influence to some degree over their staff but our situation cripples the OC.
Not saying I am a huge fan but to use his time here as your reasoning is short sided.

McDaniels didn't work under Fisher and McDaniels came to the Rams after shitting the bed and blowing up the Denver Broncos.

He's terrible. Hasn't done anything without Belichick and Brady.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He's terrible. Hasn't done anything without Belichick and Brady.

True, but he will he a Head Coach somewhere so I'm really hoping he ends up in South-beach or Indianapolis with Andrew Luck so he stays out of his Master's division.