Morris halfway grade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Rams D was not the problem on Sunday night, at all. Sure, they weren't perfect, but I'll take that kind of performance.

Williams was back and Rochell played significant snaps.. Deayon keeps playing (although, my man.. don't with the dumb penalty) and Long and Scott played less.
Secondary is really starting to take shape and looks better than the start of the season. If it stays healthy.. not only will it start looking even better, but I think we'll start seeing more interceptions once Von hits the field.

The D lost SJD, but Gaines has REALLY stepped up.. love it.

Are we ready to step back and say Morris is figuring it out? I feel like he is. Not perfect, but he certainly isn't any kind of a problem for this team.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is actually a great topic. I’ve spoken to this ad nauseam in other threads that our defense mostly looks the same to me this year as it did last because I don’t believe we were as good last year as many think. The number 1 label we received inflated (imo of course) the perception of our defense and I went in detail in a few other threads but I honestly believe that defensive stats around the board were skewed last year due to the pandemic and lack of preparation. To put it differently, as a number one defense, we didnt stack up very well to other number 1 defenses in the past and were more of a 5-10 range, still very good but not best defense in the NFL dominant.

The biggest difference to me in our D (at least early on) is we replaced some very solid vets with some less experienced players and it showed. That being said I think Morris is growing and learning his players like any other coach on a new team and is doing a great job. We had some people out of position (Rapp) players that didn't belong starting (Long Jr.) and other things that have concerned people but that’s normal with a coach learning a new team.

I think your last sentence summed Morris up perfectly, “Not perfect, but he certainly isn’t any kind of problem for this team“

Tano

Legend
There were just a couple plays that I would like Morris to re-think

His 3rd and long where he has his CBs playing 10 to 15 yards off really helps the opposing offense close the distance and maybe make it 4th and short and the other team goes for it.

I just want him to play it tighter on those downs.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Yeah Morris is definitely starting to figure it out. I think he needs to be more aggressive on 3rd downs with his coverages but that is something they can work on schematically. I still think DW is playing out of position. He needs to be a man / zone type of guy. Thats where he excelled at last year and he obviously isn't getting it this year. Players don't usually drop off this badly and when they do it's usually due to scheme change.

Ellard80

Legend
The defense has been better and better - but each week is a new challenge.

We will see how they do against the power outside zone of the 49ners

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The defense has been better and better - but each week is a new challenge.

We will see how they do against the power outside zone of the 49ners
I'm really curious to see if they bring back Miller for that game or give him a couple of more weeks to get healthy. He would be great to have against those runs, obviously.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I agree he seems to be figuring it out. I hope there's still a lot of growing ahead too by him and the unit. :fire1:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Huge Morris fan. My question to all Ram fans is his future as The Rams DC.

I’m saying he is a Rams DC for a few years.There we’re rumors he could get a HC job in NCAA.I don’t see that ever happening because of his commitment to The Rams.
Main reason is The Rams & the longer NFL season makes it to tough
because of recruiting.

TexasRam

Legend
I would like to hear a reporter ask him about the soft zone coverage.

And his take on why Williams is struggling.

Why Floyd keeps losing contain.

Some basic coaching questions.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Halfway mark, I'd give him a B
D getting better, puzzled by the success of 3rd and long against, but overall they're a good not great defense right now.
Plenty of time for that needle to move, and I'd rather be great in the playoffs than now...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Halfway mark, I'd give him a B
D getting better, puzzled by the success of 3rd and long against, but overall they're a good not great defense right now.
Plenty of time for that needle to move, and I'd rather be great in the playoffs than now...

Well the Arizona loss was more on the defense.Still Stafford missing DJ1 & wasn’t good,plus his picks.

Call it 1 loss for defense.

The Tennessee game was a different story. They kept The Rams in it,but made some bad personal choices.
Stafford’s pick 6 & Int to much to over come without putting up any points.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think they played a hell of a game against the Titans, a team that is 7-2.
They're 6th in scoring and the Rams D gave up 14 points to them. Sorry, the first interception gave Titans the ball at the 2.

Great? No.
Better than Good, for sure, imo.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Morris is dealing w/ youthful mistakes/learning on the job and which guys work best in his sub packages. Then in those sub packages the players need to be able to trust and build chemistry within the grouping.
Take our DL room over the last few years. They learned the game and build trust playing next to each other. Edge players included. The same thing is occurring w/ our ILBs & secondary.

Maybe we need to realize this might take a season or two to fully see/realize the talent while developing “on the go” this season.

My #1 concern is will McVay start realizing when the A gap is getting blitzed and we can’t stop it, will he react faster to his adjustments. The second half was way better. But allowing “those physically imposing teams” a 2 score lead really fucks up a game plan. Those physical opposing teams that control the clock run the ball really mess up a game plan. The The penalties against us didn’t help either.

The more I think about it the more I would hold Von Miller out this week vs. Whiners. Reason give less game film up during this tough stretch of games. And older people need extra time to heal. Let’s insure he’s a full go vs. Packers and a more meaningful game and playoff ramifications.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Please sweet baby Jesus 8 lbs. 3 oz. heavenly smile allow us to beat the whiners this week on PrimeTime Monday night