Morning Ram-blings: The Williams effect

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nick Wagoner
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/2653/morning-ram-blings-the-williams-effect

nfl_a_gwilliams_jh_300.jpg

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Gregg Williams will coach a defense at the Edward Jones Dome on Sunday but it won't be the one that he probably envisioned as recently as January of 2012.

Williams was one of Rams coach Jeff Fisher's first hires when he took over the job last year, brought on to be the team's defensive coordinator. That never panned out how either side envisioned when the NFL suspended Williams for the year because of his role in the New Orleans Saints' bounty scandal. Williams faded into NFL oblivion and resurfaced in Tennessee this year as a defensive consultant.

As the Rams and Titans prepare to face off this week, much has been made of Fisher's knowledge of Tennessee and head coach Mike Munchak's system but it's certainly a two-way street, at least on defense. Although Jerry Gray is the defensive coordinator, Williams' imprint on the defense -- lots of blitzing, plenty of press coverage -- is obvious.

"Absolutely, you can see Gregg's fingerprints on that," offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. "I think Jerry Gray does a great job. I think they're very well-coached. It will be a good challenge for us. The good news is there is some carryover from what we saw last week with Seattle coming off the Monday night game in terms of the eight-man front and some of the stuff we'll have to block. So, that does help you."

Fisher and Williams were once thought to be close friends, a relationship likely strained by what happened with Williams' status in St. Louis and the Rams parting ways with Williams' son Blake after one season last year.

Asked about Williams earlier this week, Fisher told the Tennessee media that he hasn't spoken to Williams much in the past year. Asked again Wednesday by St. Louis media, he didn't offer much more.

"I really never talked to him during the season anyway," Fisher said. "I'm sure I'll see him on Sunday."

I.C.Y.M.I.

A morning roundup of Friday's Rams stories appearing here on ESPN.com. ... We began the day with a look at why Rams cornerback Cortland Finnegan is getting the last laugh on the success of Tennessee cornerback Alterraun Verner. ... Next, we looked at the Rams' need to keep the momentum on defense after a dominant outing against Seattle. ... On the injury wire, we looked at the potential for new looks at running back with three backs listed as questionable. ... Finally, we discussed the news about Jacksonville receiver Justin Blackmonwith a look back at what might have been had he slipped to the Rams at No. 6.

Elsewhere:

At stltoday.com, columnist Bryan Burwell provides this video look at the Rams-Titans game.

Joe Lyons dives into the breakthrough performance of rookie running back Zac Stacy.

Jim Thomas provides the comments from offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer on the final play against Seattle.

Stacy stopped by to chat with fans at stlouisrams.com.

Tickets for Sunday's game can be had for as low as $9.

One former agent provides a list of likely cap casualties this offseason, including Finnegan.

An interesting look from cbssports.com on the trade that sent Eric Dickerson from the Rams to Indianapolis.

jap

Legend
Jerry Gray is supposed to be coaching for us, damn it!