More Rams runningback debate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/tb/daNzz?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=st-louis-rams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/tb/daNzz?utm_ ... louis-rams</a>

Two nice pieces by Tevin Broner @T_Bron from TST

The case for Stacy

It's hard to replace not only a starter, but a leader, and the most reliable player on his side of the ball. The St. Louis Rams are hoping that they can do this with their running back position as veteran Steven Jackson left for the bright lights and fun nights of Atlanta.

The Rams have mentioned using a running back by committee approach to ease the pain of losing Jackson. The Rams are hoping that returning runners Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead will be able to develop into good backs, but a runner that could be a surprise for the team is rookie Zac Stacy.

The Rams traded up to the latter parts of the 5th round to select Stacy. Which was a smart trade for the Rams, not only because Richardson and Pead would finally have a chance to rest, but because Stacy is a talented running back.

The measurements;
Height: 5'8
Weight: 216
40 time: 4.5
Bench press: 27 reps

Why was Stacy available in the 5th round?

The most obvious answer, is because running backs come a dime a dozen. Which isn't fair to say, so a better answer would be that many teams have moved from drafting backs like Stacy early. Plus he went to Vanderbelt. Maybe if he went to a school like Alabama?

What type of back is Stacy?

He's a traditional workhorse back. Stacy won't break many runs for big gains. Honestly, he's basically the type of back that Jackson was for the Rams last year.

Mini scouting report

A powerful runner
Pushes the pile
Tough to bring down
Smart at picking up blocks
Makes smart decisive cuts
Is a patient runner
Caches the ball in the backfield
A workhorse back
Doesn't have much after the initial burst
Catches with his body
Quick not fast
He can make some people miss
Probably wise to use him when the QB is under center
Better between the tackles
Can be brought down if he breaks free

I bring up his speed, but within the first 15 yards, his speed is good enough that no one will think that he's slow. Not many flaws that I've seen in his game. Granted these were only from 3 games and his Shrine game.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t34WJhKzC-Q[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9L8lAbcN4A[/youtube]

What do others think of Stacy?

There's not much on Stacy from the many talking heads, don't even think of looking for a Stacy scouting report. But here's a quote I found from Rob Rang over at Cbssports.com.

At 5-09, 216-pounds, Stacy has a short, squatty build with natural leverage advantage. He runs decisively, with good forward lean and determination. He was clocked at a respectable 4.53-seconds in the 40-yard dash but is quicker than he is fast, demonstrating the ability to make defenders miss to complement his deceptive power. He possesses soft hands out of the backfield and is more polished as a pass blocker than most rookies. Perhaps best of all, he's proven his toughness and talent against elite talent, rushing for back-to-back 1,000 seasons against SEC competition. The Rams thought enough of Stacy to trade their final two picks of the 2013 draft to move up and select him in the fifth.

Also Josh Norris from Rotoworld wrote about Stacy also, here's a quote from him.

I know I just listed a ton of positives and sound (overly?) optimistic about a fifth-round runner, but I am a fan of Stacy’s. He isn’t without his faults, however, namely in the form of long speed and dynamic traits. A team that has added speed and electric ability this offseason could be looking for something that matches that mindset in the backfield. Or, they could see a runner who displays great vision with blocks at the second level, strong cuts thanks to a well-built frame and low center, consistent tackle breaking ability when dealing with first contact, and a willingness to stick his nose in on pass protection. If so, Zac Stacy should be the answer.

Jim Wyatt @jwyattsports
<a class="postlink" href="http://DraftNasty.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://DraftNasty.com</a> 's Corey Chavous, who played at Vanderbilt, thinks Vandy's Zac Stacy is the 4th best RB in draft and 59th best overall

Josh Norris @JoshNorris
He just needs a chance... RT @MattWaldman: Good back. Efficient, tackle-breaker. Starting caliber talent. @LegacyArchives Zac Stacy

Joe Goodberry @JoeGoodberry
Zac Stacy - Watched 3 games of his last week, thought 4th round, can contribute right away and be an eventual starter. Good RB2 as rookie.

What role will Stacy have with the Rams?

Stacy will be the power guy for the Rams. Unless the current running backs learn how to pass block better, that will be Stacy's responsibility, so he will probably be the Rams guy when they need a player to block. He will also be used as a short yardage back.

Honestly, he could be used all over, so when the Rams put him in the game opponents won't be able to know if the play will result in a run or pass.

Could Stacy end up the starter for the Rams?

Stacy could eventually be the starting running back of the Rams. Will it be this season? Doubtful, the Rams most likely will continue with their running back by committee approach, like Jeff Fisher had when he was in Tennessee.

Stacy will be an interesting player for the Rams, and he should get a fair amount of touches in his rookie season.

The Case for Richardson

When you hear about the St. Louis Rams running back competition, two players come to mind: last year's 2nd round pick that disappointed fans - Isaiah Pead - and this years 5th round draft pick Zac Stacy. However, there's one more player that's usually left out, and that's the player who has had the most success thus far in the NFL - former 7th rounder out of Abilene Christian, Daryl Richardson.

It makes sense when you think about Isaiah Pead, who lost the competition to backup the Rams all-time leading rusher Steven Jackson to Richardson last season. He still possesses the talent the Rams saw prior to the draft that made him a 2nd round pick. Zac Stacy might be a rookie, but unlike Pead and Richardson, he has the size to be used in short yardage situations.

In theory, Pead and Stacy would be a good pair, and the former 7th rounder would end up being just another back who backs those two up, but Evan Silva at Rotoworld believes that Richardson should have a brighter future than that.

Following this one-fell-swoop review of his 122 touches, I think Richardson stands a legitimate chance to be the foundation of St. Louis' rushing attack, if given that opportunity. I think he can be a go-to, lead NFL runner in a spread-type offense the Rams are expected to implement this season.

So why was Richardson's late-season yards-per-carry average so low? It was 4.85 on the year, and 5.54 before those final 17 runs. On game tape, Richardson didn't look gassed or like he'd hit a rookie wall. He looked like the same player. I think a number of factors were at work. For one, the Rams played a murderer's row of stretch-run rush defenses, facing San Francisco, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, and Seattle at their place. The 17-run sample size was small. Injuries piled up on St. Louis' offensive line, which allowed a ton of backfield penetration. Richardson still flashed big-play ability on receptions and toss sweeps. He just didn't get any room to run on those final few carries.
The rest of Silva's article can be found here, and it's a really interesting read.

Honestly, I personally think Pead has the best talent out of all the running backs on the roster. If the Rams do run a type of spread/shotgun offense, then it would make sense that the primary battle will come down between Pead and Richardson for the most carries.

Richardson is the most experienced running back in the group, and the other running backs will have to catch up with him.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv5Ckwq2N04[/youtube]

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am excited for this camp battle. This topic has been beat to pieces this offseason... it's going to take camp/pre-season to decide it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I concur all of us are focused on three positions come the 21st of July....Running Back, Safety and Left Guard. Many have our favorites at RB, but the pre-season will show quite a bit. I feel many of us think that Pead offers the most upside because of his speed and ability to make people miss, but what does he offer from the neck up?

Daryl Richardson some of us including yours truly have discounted him because not only is he small, but he plays small IMO. Hopefully he'll show better strength and maybe will put the conversation to bed early in training camp.

Zac Stacy has more accolades than any 5th round selection in quite some time. GM Les Snead spoke about the analytics on Stacy and his success against the big boys of the SEC albeit that every highlight I see of Stacy is against two SEC teams Kentucky & Tennessee not exaclty defensvie stalwarts and how many times did Vandy play Wake Forest an ACC team? Seems like quite often.

Terrence Ganaway...The forgotten man in all this maybe because he was busy becoming the Duke of Sandwhich in the off season. But Ganaway is by far the biggest RB the Rams have at 6-0 240lbs he makes the rest look like smurfs in more ways than one, but will he get an opportunity to show his stuff?

Some esteemed members of this board are rooting for Pead on the basis of not wanting him to be a bust in the 2nd round, but if Richardson out plays him and becomes truly special frankly my boys, I don't give a damn!

fearsomefour

Legend
An interesting mix at the RB back. Pead is probably the most classic size/speed mix at RB, Richardson appears slight, Stacey is short but stout and Ganaway is a big back. Before it is all said in the preseason I think Ganaway makes noise.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
When the dust all clears the most complete back who can do it all very good will be Pead! That's not say that the other three ....Richardson, Stacy & Austin will not get some serious work. I do not really care if one or the other gets more action than the other I just think all four will bring great things to our Ram backfield & it will be a four headed MONSTER for the rest of the NFL not seen in some time.

Just call the 4 Rams RB quartet the RAPS

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
And don't sleep on Cunningham.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ramhusker said:

I think they'll try to PUP him - if he's showing something they like.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ramhusker said:

IMO he won't be ready until 2014.
jc1.JPG

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
den-the-coach said:
Ramhusker said:

IMO he won't be ready until 2014.
jc1.JPG

I'm kinda hoping for that. I'd like to see them PUP him, see what they have with the others and then bring him into the mix when he gets healthy. I really think the kid could be a real stud.