More good news on Connor Cook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11280/connor-cook

Michigan State's Connor Cook registered a velocity measurement of just 50 miles per hour on the radar gun at the NFL Combine.
Paxton Lynch (59 MPH), Jared Goff (58), and Carson Wentz (57) all exhibited strong velocity at the Combine. Per Rotoviz's Jon Moore via Ourlads' Dan Shonka, Cook's miles-per-hour measurement was the weakest of all quarterbacks invited to Indianapolis. Cook also opted out of the Senior Bowl, which is where NFL scouts assess throwing strength live. A big-named passer in college, Cook is likely headed for a draft-day plunge. And there are several additional red flags on Cook not related to his underwhelming passing ability. Mar 3 - 3:46 PM
Source: Jon Moore on Twitter

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This was posted. I am not sure why it is good news. They have the entire list of guys from years past and someone noted that anyone below mid 50s didn't pan out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was posted. I am not sure why it is good news. They have the entire list of guys from years past and someone noted that anyone below mid 50s didn't pan out.

Tyrod Taylor and Mike Glennon both panned out well enough.

I don't buy into these things. Certain QBs don't take it seriously. You can tell by the results...like Austin Davis having one of the highest recorded velocities despite having a majorly underwhelming arm.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tyrod Taylor and Mike Glennon both panned out well enough.

I don't consider what either of them have accomplished in the NFL qualifying as "panning out."

Looking over the velocity of throws there isn't one guy in the low 50s who has amounted to anything in the NFL. Doesn't mean someone won't of course, but still.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't consider what either of them have accomplished in the NFL qualifying as "panning out."

Looking over the velocity of throws there isn't one guy in the low 50s who has amounted to anything in the NFL. Doesn't mean someone won't of course, but still.

Tyrod finished 7th in QB Rating in his first year as a starter. Glennon had 29 TDs to 15 Ints across his first 19 games. I'd consider that panning out plenty well for a 6th and a 3rd round pick.

The radar gun numbers are meaningless imo.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Also, initial gun is meaningless.

If QB A throws a tight well spun spiral at 52 MPH, that ball will go farther than QB B's throw, a loose spiral with minimal spin thrown at 56 MPH.

QB A will have more control and will be able to choose multiple trajectories whereas QB B may have to eliminate certain or even all variables and be left with potentially only one way to complete a pass.

To focus only on the initial ball speed is as silly as focusing solely on rotational speed of the ball coming out of the QBs hand. Flight stability is a function of both ball speed and rotation.

Manning is a good example of this. I dunno if it was the system, injuries or combination, but Manning was not spinning his deep outs and long balls and they ducked on him something fierce. The issue was mechanics.

When focusing on propects, we have to focus on what is necessary to be successful at the NFL level and which skills translate (which is why some college super stars never amount to anything in the pros and some just above average college players just blow up as pros).

I just don't see initial velocity being a meaningful criteria.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's the deal, Cook bailed on the Senior bowl and has faced a lot of scrutiny this off season. He was coming to the combine with something to prove.
Watch his tape, he's got the arm strength to throw with Wentz. The fact he didn't shows he didn't prepare.
He's got red flags all over him. IMO he's Hackenburg but had better talent to work with.

Ants

Starter
I believe I read that Cook was battling some sort of shoulder injury - which is why he opted out of the Sr. Bowl.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Here's the deal, Cook bailed on the Senior bowl and has faced a lot of scrutiny this off season. He was coming to the combine with something to prove.
Watch his tape, he's got the arm strength to throw with Wentz. The fact he didn't shows he didn't prepare.
He's got red flags all over him. IMO he's Hackenburg but had better talent to work with.
Cook is Cutler with less arm talent

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

You may have to clarify your point. I'm confused by what you're saying.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I gotta say that I love that Connor Cook already has the Jay Cutler facial expressions down:
6_3186301.JPG

connor-cook-focal-112014.jpg

13702825-standard.jpg

Rose+Bowl+Presented+Vizio+Stanford+v+Michigan+7cu64bwyMMHl.jpg

Now, I want Cook to succeed entirely because people will hate him. He has that douchey frat guy look that Jay Cutler has. :LOL:

Dieter, this doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't know how you'd draw the conclusion he didn't prepare from this one number.

And I disagree that he has the arm strength to throw with Wentz. He's more in the Goff territory.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dieter, this doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't know how you'd draw the conclusion he didn't prepare from this one number.

And I disagree that he has the arm strength to throw with Wentz. He's more in the Goff territory.
Connor Cook wasn't going to wow anyone at the combine with his athleticism, his 40 time nor his interviews. His asset is his Arm. I may be a huge detractor of the kid, but arm strength and ability to make all the throws has never been my contention.
His first throw looked like a Rick Vaughn fastball before wearing glasses.
Maybe there is an undisclosed injury, but for a kid that missed the Senior bowl to lay it on the line at the combine, he didn't look prepared to me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was almost accepting that Cook would be the Rams first round pick but after the last few months I want no part of him. He scares me from the mental make up side of things.