Monster Elk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My nephew just sent me this after a hunt he did yesterday. He is the one on the right if you are looking at the picture. This is a Tule elk taken in the Indian Valley of CA. He spotted the elk for the hunter.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BTW - for those of you who are hunters, he unofficially scored a 319" 46" inside and 44" main beams.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Wow,,, that is fucking HUGE. Hopefully they had a front-end loader to haul that beast out of the woods.

I've had elk a few times... very tasty. They must of been stoked.

I would imagine that giant rack is going to be hanging on one of the bigger walls in that hunter's house.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
That is a Beautiful thing. I challenge you to find a more beautiful sound of nature than a big elks call.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm bettin an ell that big doesn't taste the best. Lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Certainly WAS a majestic creature. :neh:

Sent via Tapatalk2.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
How did they get him to sit still for the picture?

:lmao:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
El Juggernauto said:
That is a Beautiful thing. I challenge you to find a more beautiful sound of nature than a big elks call.

OK....my vote.....the sound of an elk steak hitting a hot grill. :nana:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
El Juggernauto said:

Yep. Beautiful yet somewhat haunting. Herd (ha) it many times.

So - yeah ... the meat is probably not going to be that great. If they cleaned it very quickly and bone it out after hanging, even large bulls can be pretty tasty though. This one looks like he was going into the rut. Must happen earlier down there.

CGI - pretty funny.

Paul - another couple years and this thing is mountain lion bait if no one shoots it. Then as it rots, the coyotes will come in and scatter its remains very unceremoniously, while the buzzards and crows fight over scraps. Think I'd take the bullet.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
LesBaker said:
El Juggernauto said:

OK....my vote.....the sound of an elk steak hitting a hot grill. :nana:

Yep. Got some in the freezer. Might have to have some tonight with our Blueberry Sage sauce.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
X said:

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Not a fan of hunting?
Nope. Maybe if it was life or death, but not for sport.
That's just me though, and I've already put it out there a year or so ago.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
X said:

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Not a fan of hunting?

I hear ya, I'm in the same boat. I don't see the fun in it really. As long as people eat the meat though, I wont judge them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
X said:

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Not a fan of hunting?

I hear ya, I'm in the same boat. I don't see the fun in it really. As long as people eat the meat though, I wont judge them.
My man.

g75jLyW.png

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Everyone has their opinion, and i respect it. But i remember the rush of my first deer. I was literaly shaking from the rush. The stalk and the hunt. It is just amazing. We eat the meat. I don't trophy hunt, i am not in it for the rack. I would rather kill an animal that lived free with a $2.50 bullet and get 80 lbs of meat, than spend $5/lb at walmart for animals that are shot up with hormones and raised just for meat. I used to be against hunting, but my father in law opened my eyes to it. Now, i can not wait for fall season!

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
X said:

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Not a fan of hunting?

My man.

Hunting can be a form of preservation to species as well though. You have to maintain balance. Even if the unbalance was the cause of humans themselves expanding in the first place.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
Hunting can be a form of preservation to species as well though. You have to maintain balance. Even if the unbalance was the cause of humans themselves expanding in the first place.
YOU.

karate-kid-photo1.jpg

Shut your pie hole about barrance.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
RamFan503 said:
Paul - [hilite]another couple years and this thing is mountain lion bait if no one shoots it. Then as it rots, the coyotes will come in and scatter its remains very unceremoniously, while the buzzards and crows fight over scraps.[/hilite] Think I'd take the bullet.
That's the circle of life; everything gets a piece of the remains, all the way down to insects and microbes that feed on the decayed flesh and bone. I don't see the tragedy in a mountain lion getting a meal instead of the hunter. Or the coyotes for that matter.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm just too much of a softy to kill an animal that's just out eating breakfast to enjoy hunting. If it was for survival, all bets are off of course.

Taliban though... That's another case. :hehe: