Monday Wrap-Up: Keenum Named Starter, Two OLs to IR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Monday Wrap-Up: Keenum Named Starter, Two OLs to IR

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Monday-Wrap-Up-Keenum-Named-Starter-Two-OLs-to-IR/3cc7afb7-a0ad-4cb9-b9fc-bdea58e57d44

After some careful consideration, head coach Jeff Fisher has decided to make a change at starting quarterback. Case Keenum will be under center going forward as the Rams look to get back on track.

“I’ve decided to go ahead and make a quarterback change. I’m going to go ahead and go with Case,” Fisher said Monday evening. “This is my decision based on what I think is best for this team, offensively, is to go this direction.”

The Rams traded for both Keenum and Nick Foles on the same day in March, though Foles’ arrival was much more ballyhooed at the time. Keenum had spent most of the 2014 season with St. Louis -- first on the active roster and then the practice squad -- until the Texans signed him to start their final two games. Houston won both contests with Keenum, as the quarterback threw for 435 yards and two touchdowns.

“He’s won games. He’s proven it,” Fisher said of Keenum. “He’s won games in Houston with a team that had significant injuries around him, and he found ways to win games.”

The head coach said the Rams expect they’ll be able to use Keenum’s mobility as an asset in the backfield.

“We’re going to let him play. We’re going to use his legs and let him make some plays,” Fisher said. “We’re going to trust his mobility and his ability to extend plays and things, and just give us an offensive spark that we need.”

On the other side of the equation, Foles will head to the bench. The quarterback has struggled in recent weeks, which is part of the reason why Fisher had been contemplating the change. It’s about the body of work as opposed to a singular performance.

“I told the quarterbacks, the lack of production is not Nick’s fault,” Fisher said. “The lack of production is a collective offensive effort and coaching. But, I need more production and it starts with that position.”

Foles has completed 56.6 percent of his passes for 1,678 yards with seven touchdowns and six interceptions, averaging 186.4 yards per game. Sunday’s contest against the Bears marked only the second time Foles had reached 200 yards passing this season.

“There were some routes that weren’t correctly run. There were some protection issues where he had pressure in his face,” Fisher said of Foles’ performance on Sunday. “There were some opportunities where we had some people open when the ball should’ve been delivered on time and the ball should’ve been completed.

“Again,” Fisher continued, “it’s not just yesterday. It’s over the last few weeks.”

The head coach added Foles could use some time to continue learning and processing the offense, with the idea that, eventually, he will be back under center for the Rams.

“Nick just needs a break,” Fisher said. “He’s going to continue to work. He’ll run scout team. He’ll be prepared to play. But, he just needs to get more experience under his belt in this offense.”

Still, Fisher was quick to point out that Foles was not the only problem offensively. As the head coach has said frequently in recent weeks, everyone on the team has to play better.

“Nick didn’t fumble the ball on the 17-yard line, nor did he give up two explosive plays for over 80 yards,” Fisher said. “It’s not his fault. We all need to play better. But I’m confident that right now this is the right decision for us as we move forward.”

As for the third quarterback on the roster, rookie Sean Mannion, Fisher said the third-round pick is doing fine with his limited practice opportunities.

“He’s got a good feel for what we’re doing. He’s paying attention,” Fisher said. “He’s getting very few scout team reps, but when he gets them, he’s doing fine. He puts our cards in our terminology and he’s doing fine. So, we’ll try to get him some more reps here as we push forward.”

But for now, it sounds like Keenum has the reins of the offense.

“As I told Case, he doesn’t have a short leash,” Fisher said, later adding,“I’m not saying this is week-to-week, but this is what’s best right now for our team as we move forward from a production standpoint offensively.”

BROWN, WILLIAMS SUFFER SEASON-ENDING INJURIES

The injury bug has bit the Rams once again, with two offensive linemen suffering season-ending injuries during Sunday’s contest against the Bears.

Coincidentally, both Jamon Brown and Darrell Williams suffered their injuries on the same play -- the interception in the fourth quarter. Brown was carted off the field with a lower-leg fracture, and Williams suffered a dislocated wrist.

Brown’s injury means the Rams have now lost their two starting offensive guards from the season opener, as Rodger Saffold was placed in injured reserve in October following season-ending shoulder surgery.

Brown had been penciled in as a starting guard since early in OTAs, when it became clear that he was working with the first group. While he initially started at right guard next to fellow rookie Rob Havenstein, Brown moved over to left guard late in the preseason. Once Rodger Saffold went down, Brown flipped back over to right guard.

Williams made the team as a rookie undrafted free agent after a strong August, in which he impressed during training camp. Williams was filling in for Rob Havenstein on Sunday, who had left the game with a calf injury.

Havenstein, however, should not be out for an extended period of time, according to Fisher.

“Rob left the game with a calf injury and it’s not as significant as we feared last night,” Fisehr said. “He’ll be day-to-day, possibly week-to-week, but he’ll be returning.”

Having lost another starter, the Rams will once again have to shuffle their offensive line. For competitive reasons, Fisher declined to say exactly where everyone will be playing along the line, but it’s fair to assume rookies Andrew Donnal and Cody Wichmann have a good chance to fill in. Fisher said offensive line coach Paul Boudreau has done well getting them ready.

“As we move forward, it looks like they’re both going to play,” Fisher said. “I’ve been pleased with Cody. Cody missed some time with the calf injury during camp, but since then, Coach ‘Bou’s getting him reps and he knows what to do -- big strong guy who can pull and can pass protect.”

With Brown and Williams both headed to injured reserve, Fisher said supplemental draft pick Isaiah Battle will be promoted to the active roster. The club will also look outside the organization to help with depth, either for the practice squad or the active roster.

“Fortunately we’ve got depth, we’ve got youth. These guys are going to become good players because of their experience,” Fisher said. “We took a little blow but we’ll be fine.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Injuries force Rams to go (offensive) line dancing
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...uries-force-rams-to-go-offensive-line-dancing

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Lost in the midst of coach Jeff Fisher's announcement that the St. Louis Rams are making a change at quarterback was the news that his team lost not one, but two, offensive linemen to injury for the rest of the season -- on the same play.

With 4:14 to go in Sunday's 37-13 loss to the Chicago Bears, quarterback Nick Foles threw an interception to Bears linebacker Willie Young. On the ensuing return, guard Jamon Brown suffered a fractured lower leg and tackle Darrell Williams went down with a dislocated wrist.

Brown had to be taken off on a cart. Williams played the final five snaps with the injured wrist. By Sunday night, it was clear that both required surgery and will have to go on season-ending injured reserve.

"Coincidentally, it happened on the same play, both injuries happened on the interception return," Fisher said. "So [Williams will] be lost for the remainder of the season as well."

That means the Rams will have to do some major shuffling on the offensive line this week. Brown and Williams will head to injured reserve and Fisher acknowledged Monday that tackle Isaiah Battle will be promoted from the practice squad to take one spot.

“From a conditioning standpoint and a lower body strength and overall strength standpoint, he’s much further ahead than he was when he got here," Fisher said. "He wasn’t in good shape when he got here for obvious reasons and so we had to get him in shape. He’s done a really good job in the weight room. He has a much better feel for what we’re doing. He’s got really long arms. He’s athletic. So, I spoke with him today. He’s a snap away from playing.”

The Rams will scour the free-agent market and, presumably, other practice squads to fill the other vacancy.

"We’re discussing stuff with our pro scouting department to see what our options are to get some depth in here and potentially some practice squad help," Fisher said.

In more promising injury news, right tackle Robert Havenstein's calf injury isn't as bad as the Rams initially feared. Fisher said he's considered day-to-day, but it's uncertain what his status will be this week against Baltimore.

So while Battle and someone else will fill the two open roster spots, the Rams will have to do some shuffling on the offensive line. Fisher declined to offer specifics on how the Rams will line up but it's safe to assume if Havenstein can't play this week that rookie guards Andrew Donnal and Cody Wichmann would step in to the guard spots with left guard Garrett Reynolds moving over to right tackle.

If Havenstein can play, the Rams would be able to leave Reynolds at left guard and have to choose between Donnal and Wichmann for the right guard spot. Fisher said Demetrius Rhaney is viewed as the primary backup on the interior.

“Well, Andrew got to play last week," Fisher said. "He got to start and played the whole game, so that’s valuable experience. Now, as we move forward, it looks like they’re both going to play. I mean, I’ve been pleased with Cody. Cody missed some time with the calf injury during camp, but since then, Coach [Paul] ‘Bou’s [Boudreau] getting him reps and he knows what to do -- big, strong guy who can pull and can pass protect. So we’ll see.”

For an offensive line that entered the season with a litany of questions, the list has only gotten longer.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Great news that we'll get to see Wichmann get a shot. Ironically my concern with Donnal and Wichmann in there remains the play of GRob. This sure would be a great week for the big guy to figure things out and have a great game...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm guessing it will look like:

LT: GRob
LG: Reynolds
C: Barnes
RG: Wichmann
RT: Havenstein

They need HStein to play to keep the vet over there by GRob. I think he'll be a go at least to start the game.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Sometimes I feel like As Ram Fans we are an Alien case study for loyalty and tolerance.

RamBill

Legend
Rams turn to Case Keenum to provide a spark, but it might not last long
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...to-provide-a-spark-but-it-might-not-last-long

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher named Case Keenum his new starting quarterback on Monday evening, sending Nick Foles to the bench just nine games into his tenure with the team.

Some takeaways from Fisher's decision and what it means for the Rams at quarterback, in both the short and long term:

1. With his team at 4-5 and flailing in the NFC playoff chase, Fisher made the right move here. Let's not get it confused: Foles wasn't the only problem for the Rams' offense. They need more production from the offensive line and all of their pass-catchers. But, as Fisher put it, this is an offense sorely in need of some sort of a spark. The Rams are 31st in the NFL in yards per game and last in passing yards per game. Foles simply didn't look comfortable in the pocket and hadn't showed signs of improving in the past four or five weeks.

St. Louis Rams quarterback Case Keenum
Case Keenum was promoted to starting quarterback by Rams coach Jeff Fisher on Monday. Fisher said he liked Keenum's ability to extend plays.
2. Keenum probably isn't a major upgrade, let alone a panacea for the offense. So what does he bring to the table that Foles doesn't? Fisher mentioned Keenum's mobility and ability to extend plays with his legs multiple times at Monday's news conference. Foles rarely makes plays outside of the pocket and part of his lack of comfort in the pocket stemmed from the amount of pressure the offensive line has allowed. The offensive line was already struggling, and now has lost guard Jamon Brown and tackle Darrell Williams for the season. Having a quarterback who is more willing to stay in the pocket when pressure arrives and is capable of escaping that pressure to make plays when he leaves the pocket is probably a good idea, given the state of the offensive line.

3. Just because Keenum is the starter now doesn't mean he will be permanently, or even for the rest of the season. When Austin Davis replaced an injured Shaun Hill last year, he went on to start eight games. Davis went 3-5 in those starts before the job went back to Hill. But Davis held the job that long because he played well in his first few starts. Davis' fearless, frenetic style worked for a few weeks before he played better defenses with a better idea of how to stop him. In hindsight, the Rams probably should have kept closer tabs on Davis and gone back to Hill before the spark fizzled. That probably won't happen again. Fisher said Monday that Keenum won't have a short leash, but he also said that "Nick also understands that he eventually will be under center for us again." My expectation is that Keenum will get a chance to give the Rams the spark Fisher seeks and his hook won't come out for three or four weeks. But if Keenum struggles or is struggling after getting a few opportunities, Fisher will go back to Foles before Keenum gets the same number of starts Davis did in 2014.

4. The Rams liked Keenum enough that they traded a 2016 draft pick to reacquire him from the Houston Texans after the Texans signed him from the St. Louis practice squad late last season. Keenum impressed the Rams with his work ethic and mobility on the practice field and then earned even more respect for winning two games for Houston at the end of the year. Keenum threw for 435 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions in those two victories, one of which came against the Rams' opponent this week, the Baltimore Ravens.

5. This quarterback change should serve as yet another reminder that the Rams still don't have their long-term quarterback solution on the roster. Yes, they signed Foles to an extension before he ever played a snap for them, but the Rams structured his deal so they can get out of it relatively easily without much of a cap hit after next year. Keenum will get a chance to state his case, but his previous 10 starts don't offer much hope he can be more than a spot starter. Third-round rookie Sean Mannion hasn't had many reps in practice as the team's third quarterback and he doesn't appear to be close to competing for the backup job yet, not to mention the starting job. The Rams' decision to pass on quarterbacks repeatedly in the draft, especially when they had extra picks from their 2012 trade with Washington, has left them with a number of other teams in quarterback purgatory. Until that gets fixed with someone capable of playing even average football on a weekly basis, it's going to be hard for the Rams to have the playoff breakthrough they seek.

RamBill

Legend
Keenum in, Foles out as starting QB
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_a0b08018-4332-58eb-9846-0f57b660505e.html

To say that Case Keenum’s return to St. Louis was on the undercard of quarterback trades last March 10 would be understatement.

When the Rams sent a seventh-rounder to the Houston Texans for Keenum, he thought he might get some air time that night on ESPN. No such luck. Alas, that was the same day the Rams swapped Sam Bradford to Philadelphia for Nick Foles.

Turns out Keenum’s SportsCenter moment is coming eight months later. On Monday, Rams coach Jeff Fisher announced that Foles was being benched in favor of Keenum, the former record-setting signal caller at the University of Houston.

Fisher stopped short of saying it’s Keenum’s job forever, but he made it pretty clear this isn’t a one-week trial, either.

“As I told Case, he doesn’t have a short leash,” Fisher said. “I’m gonna let him play. I’m gonna let him use his legs, and let him make some plays.”

Fisher’s track record, long before his time in St. Louis, is that he doesn’t make quarterback changes lightly and he doesn’t like quarterback controversies.

“It’s not a quarterback controversy,” Fisher said. “Right now, all three of those guys in the (quarterback) room understand exactly what’s going on. I talked to all three of them together, and I don’t expect Nick to like it because he’s a competitor. But he understands.”

Fisher said the decision to make a switch was a byproduct of looking at the big picture on offense and trying to combat its lack of production.

Little more than an hour before his regularly scheduled 5 p.m. media session Monday, Fisher said he met with Foles, Keenum and rookie Sean Mannion, plus quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke to discuss the change.

“This is my decision,” Fisher said. “Nobody came down the hall and said this is what we need to do. As I told the quarterbacks, the lack of production is not Nick’s fault. The lack of production is a collective offensive effort and coaching. But we need more production, and it starts with that position.”

The Rams (4-5) have scored fewer than 20 points in five of their nine games — all five of which were losses. They rank 31st in total offense and 32nd (or last) in passing offense.

Foles ranks 28th in completion percentage (56.6 percent) and is 29th in passer rating (79.5) among NFL quarterbacks. Overall, he just hasn’t seemed like the same quarterback since that four-interception day Oct. 11 against Green Bay, missing open receivers either through errant passes or just not seeing them, period.

On several occasions over the past several weeks, Fisher has made it a point to say the team needs play better around Foles. He reiterated that point Monday.

“The receivers need to play better, the tight ends need to play better, Greg Robinson needs to play better,” Fisher said. “Nick didn’t fumble the ball on the 17-yard line.”

No, that was backup running back Tre Mason against Chicago, leading to a Bears field goal.

“Nor did he give up two explosive plays over 80 yards,” Fisher continued.

No, that was the Rams’ defense yielding touchdown receptions of 87 yards to tight end Zach Miller and 83 yards to Jeremy Langford of the Bears.

“We all need to play better,” Fisher said. “But I’m confident right now this is the right decision for us as we move forward.”

In the Bradford trade, the Rams also sent Philadelphia a fifth-round pick in last spring’s draft in exchange for a fourth-round pick in 2015 (which the Rams used for offensive lineman Andrew Donnal) and a second-rounder in ’16.

The Rams could still owe Philly a fourth-round pick in 2016 if Bradford plays in fewer than 50 percent of the Eagles’ offensive plays this season. But even with Bradford now hurt, it doesn’t appear the Rams will end up owing the Eagles that pick.

“By no means do we regret the trade, by no means do we regret the extension,” Fisher said. “Nick is a good quarterback. He’s captain of the football team. But at this point, right now, based on where we are offensively, I feel like this is the direction we have to go. ... Nick also understands that he eventually will be under center for us again.”

Before he had even thrown a pass in preseason play, the Rams signed Foles to a $26 million contract extension through the 2017 season on Aug. 7. The deal included $13.79 million in guaranteed money, plus incentives that could max out the contract at $39.5 million.

When asked how Foles could re-establish himself, Fisher said: “You know what? Nick just needs a break. He just needs a break right now. He’s going to continue to work. He’ll run scout team. He’ll be prepared to play. But he just needs to get more experience under his belt in this offense.”

Besides the terminology and scheme changes in coming to St. Louis from Philadelphia, Foles also had to re-acquaint himself with taking snaps under center.

“Nick is full of energy and he just loves to play, and he’s competitive,” Fisher said. “As I’ve said numerous times, even when things go bad, it’s OK (to Foles). He believes he’s gonna come back and get it done. That’s good. I love those qualities in him. I love the leadership qualities in him.

“... There was a few times when, had (Foles) been a little bit more patient and went through the progression, the ball would’ve gone to the correct place and we may have extended some drives,” Fisher said.

But for now and the immediate future, it’s all about Keenum, who finished his college career as the NCAA’s all-time leader in passing yards (19,127) and touchdown passes (155). Signed as an undrafted rookie by Houston in 2012, Keenum spent the entire 2012 season on the Texans’ practice squad.

He started eight games for Houston over the second half of the 2013 season following an injury to Matt Schaub but was waived at the end of the 2014 preseason and claimed by St. Louis.

Keenum spent the first seven games of last season on the Rams’ active roster without playing, then spent seven more games on the practice squad. But Houston re-signed him to its active roster last Dec. 15, and he started the final two games for the Texans — both victories.

Fisher was impressed enough with what he saw of Keenum on the practice field in 2014 to spend that seventh-round pick to get him back.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: Rookie linemen Brown, Williams done for the season
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_4cc4e62a-ef46-5508-9533-abb4c7866ae1.html

Late in Sunday’s 37-13 loss to Chicago, a Nick Foles pass intended for newcomer Wes Welker was picked off near midfield by the Bears’ Willie Young, who returned it 39 yards to the Rams’ 15-yard line.

On the return, the Rams lost not one but two rookie offensive linemen to season-ending injuries as they tried to run down the Chicago linebacker.

Jamon Brown, a starter at guard in each of the season’s first nine games, suffered a lower-leg fracture that will require surgery later this week. Brown landed awkwardly along the sideline near the the end of the play.

“It’s unfortunate for ‘J.B.’ because he was off to a great rookie year,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said in his postgame news conference Sunday.

Brown, who played mostly at tackle at the University of Louisville, started the first five games of the season at left guard and then shifted to the right for the next four after guard Rodger Saffold went down with a season-ending shoulder injury.

Up the sideline a few feet from Brown, tackle Darrell Williams made a lunging attempt to make the tackle on Young and landed on his left wrist. Williams, an undrafted rookie from the University of South Florida, had season-ending surgery for a dislocated wrist later Sunday night.

Williams “finished the game, the last four or five games,’’ Fisher said Monday. “At some point here, we’ll be placing both ‘J.B.’ and Williams on injured reserve, which means our intention is to bring (tackle) Isaiah Battle off the practice squad.’’

Fisher said the team is also looking at other options.

“We’re discussing stuff with our pro scouting department ... to get some depth in here and potentially some practice squad help,’’ the coach said.

Battle, a 6-foot-7, 290-pound-pound rookie from Clemson, was selected by the Rams in the fifth round of the supplemental draft last July. He was cut at the end of training camp and then added to the practice squad.

“From a conditioning standpoint and a lower-body strength and overall strength standpoint, he’s much further ahead than he was when he got here,’’ Fisher said. “He wasn’t in good shape when he got here for obvious reasons. ... He’s done a really good job in the weight room. He has a much better feel for what we’re doing. He’s got really long arms. He’s athletic. ... He’s a snap away from playing.’’

The injuries to Brown and Williams also figure to thrust two more rookies, fourth-round draft choice Andrew Donnal and sixth-rounder Cody Wichmann, into more prominent roles for the rest of the season.

Donnal, who played at the University of Iowa, has been active four times this season and made the start in the recent overtime loss at Minnesota. He was not active Sunday. Wichmann, from Fresno State, has dressed for five of the team’s nine games this season.

“Well, Andrew got to play last week,’’ Fisher said. “He got to start and played the whole game, so that’s valuable experience. Now as we move forward, it looks like they’re going to play. I’ve been pleased with Cody. Cody missed some time with the calf injury during camp, but since then (offensive line coach Paul T. Boudreau has been) getting him some reps and he knows what to do. (He’s a) big, strong guy who can pull and can pass protect.’’

Not all of Fisher’s injury news Monday from Rams Park was negative. The coach said that rookie right tackle Rob Havenstein, the second-round draft pick from Wisconsin who left Sunday’s game with a calf injury, was “day to day, possibly week-to-week, but he’ll be returning.’’

The calf injury is “not as significant as we feared last night,’’ Fisher said. Havenstein started the opening seven games of the season but missed the Nov. 8 contest in Minnesota with an ankle injury.

“I’m not going to go into detail as to who is going to play where for competitive reasons, what we do with (veteran guard and tackle) Garrett (Reynolds) and so on and so forth,’’ Fisher said. “We took a little blow (Sunday), but we’ll be fine. Fortunately, we have depth, we’ve got youth. These guys are going to become good players because of their experience.’’

On the other side of the ball, Fisher was encouraged by the defensive snaps taken Sunday by two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Robert Quinn, who missed the Minnesota game with a knee issue, and is also hoping that the team’s other starting defensive end, Chris Long, can continue to work his way back from a knee injury he suffered Oct. 11 at Green Bay. Long has sat out the last four games.

“Our goal (for Quinn) was somewhere between 15 and 20 snaps,’’ Fisher said. “He got 14 snaps, on most of which he rushed. It’s good to get him back, so we expect to see his reps increase this week. Chris (Long) felt really good (after getting in some work Friday). I think we’ll get Chris back on the practice field this week and see where it goes from there.’’

FISHER ON PINKEL

During his Monday news conference, Fisher was asked about University of Missouri football coach Gary Pinkel and his announced retirement.

“I’ve met him several times,’’ Fisher said. “Great respect for what he’s done and what he’s done in the program. It’s hard to walk away. It’s even harder to walk away on your own terms. But when you make a decision based on his personal situation, his medical situation and his family situation, you can’t help but wish him the best of luck.

“They’re going to miss him. He’s going to miss ball and they’re going to miss him. He’s an outstanding man, outstanding coach.’’

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Great news that we'll get to see Wichmann get a shot. Ironically my concern with Donnal and Wichmann in there remains the play of GRob. This sure would be a great week for the big guy to figure things out and have a great game...

Couldn't agree more on GRob. At this point, his play is so far below where it needs to be that I just can't see him improving enough to even become an average LT. I expect he'll improve to some degree but his starting point is so low that any improvement will only get him so far.

I'm no expert but he was being beaten easily by what looked like fairly basic moves from the D end. He just seems so slow yet he was drafted for his athletic upside! His future probably lies at guard

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The lack of production is a collective offensive effort and coaching

Maybe it is time to start looking at some offensive staff changes, starting with Oline and WR coaches. Plus put Boras back with TEs. Draft some a top QB and WRs that care about running routes and make this offense over before the defense falls apart. Playoff windows can be very very small when a team does not have a good QB.

“The receivers need to play better, the tight ends need to play better, Greg Robinson needs to play better,”

Wow, are we finally seeing the coach try to put some public pressure on Robinson? I wish Battle was good enough to start so they can sit GRob and let him think about what it is like to be on the bench. Maybe he will take his job more seriously then.

Couldn't agree more on GRob. At this point, his play is so far below where it needs to be that I just can't see him improving enough to even become an average LT. I expect he'll improve to some degree but his starting point is so low that any improvement will only get him so far.

Again, he needs to get a wake up call. If what has been suggested about his work ethic is true then he needs to return to guard or sit. It now is starting to look like the Rams knew they made a mistake drafting Robinson and that is why they drafted Battle in the supplemental draft, in hopes that he can turn into a starting OLT for them. At first I thought it was just a value thing. Not anymore.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
GROB has been bit of a disappointment but some of the holding calls against him are flat out garbage. I feel bad for him. It's seems like he's getting targeted at times. Like they just assume he's holding.
He absolutely needs to play better but he's also getting the short end of the stick at times.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
GROB has been bit of a disappointment but some of the holding calls against him are flat out garbage. I feel bad for him. It's seems like he's getting targeted at times. Like they just assume he's holding.
He absolutely needs to play better but he's also getting the short end of the stick at times.
I feel the same about GRob's play so far, But, at least for last week, he has an excuse. It's spelled " T-R-I-P-L-E-T-T-E!!" I knew we were going to draw a lot of penalties when I read we drew his crew!!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I feel the same about GRob's play so far, But, at least for last week, he has an excuse. It's spelled " T-R-I-P-L-E-T-T-E!!" I knew we were going to draw a lot of penalties when I read we drew his crew!!
Yeah, one of the calls (wish I could post it) he barely grabbed the guy and he started to go the the ground and his hands weren't even on him at that point.
Those types of things happen almost every play. It's just unreal how picky they are on him. To my knowledge, if a guy goes low around you and you block him to the ground is that a penalty?
I mean grabbing a player and taking him to the ground is one thing. But when a DE is trying to cut the corner low how are you supposed to block him?