Monday Camp Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
The coaches were much more animated I thought today or just to be blunt there was a lot more yelling.

They closed the practice with a series of gassers. Coach Fisher ended the regular portion of drills with, "Big guys on the right, little guys on the left." Then they ran the width of the field several times and to the numbers several times. It was obvious that Barrett Jones and Ty Nsekhe could barely finish. Chris Williams also collapsed at the end of it all.

QB-Every team in the NFL suffers a drop off when or if the starting QB goes down. There just aren't that many good #2's out there. In the Rams case its tempting to wish that they would churn the roster after the cut downs and bring in two new back ups because these two sure aren't getting the job done. Clemens did have one good pass, probably the best one I have seen in camp to Radway in the red zone drills for a TD. But he still breaks the rep and takes off time and again in 7 on 7. Why the coaches allow him to do that with kids on the field that need practice and the chance to show something is beyond me.

Austin Davis has really been a disappointment this camp. He has had huge issues with accuracy and now he is starting to act like Clemens and take off in drills where there is no chance of him being touched. Everything he did well last year is going sour on him this year so far. He threw at least two picks today in 11 on 11 where he telegraphed the throw. One was on a roll out and he was slow and deliberate with the ball and allowed McGee to under cut the route.

But to think they are going to go into the season with two guys that don't know the offense behind Sam is foolish. One of these guys will make the team.

RB-Bennie Cunningham seems to have latched onto the 4th running back spot with a pretty solid grasp. He gets time as a KR and as a gunner and participates in all the special teams drills.

Stacy and Cunningham had two of the best runs of the day, Stacy took a draw for a TD of about 25 yards in red zone drills and Cunningham bounced one to the outside for about 15.

Pead got extended reps today yet after practice Fisher announced Richardson as the starter.

Pead did something today that I have noticed him doing before in practice on dive plays. He will stutter step, almost visibly flinch and shuffle his feet instead of busting it up in there. If the Rams need three yards he isn't going to get it that way.

The backs did extended time in skill drills and blocking drills. I expected Ganaway to get some carries Saturday night and could see today why he didn't. I have commented before that he just doesn't look impressive running cones or in blocking drills. Today he failed time and again in hitting the pads and had to do several of the drills over. He had looked better when it came time to go 11 on 11 but he got few touches today when they went to full squad.

Stacy still has his calf wrapped up but participated fully.

WR-Tavon Austin was out of town due to a family emergency, Whatever it is he left town Sunday night for his home.

Austin Pettis failed to pick up a hot read early on when they were just doing half speed fundamental work, Sam looked to him after calling a blitz read and Pettis didn't break off the route or look for the ball.

But after that he easily had the best practice of all the receivers. He had a really good route in the red zone early for a TD and the rest of his day was fine.

Quick dropped a ball early in 11 on 11 when it looked once again like the linebackers hands distracted him but came back later with a great route when the Rams went empty backfield and a plucked a heater out of the air from Sam.

Right now Radway is my favorite for the 6th spot but Nick Johnson got a lot of work with the second unit.

My favorite for the 4th tight end is Lutzenkirchen but Mike McNeil had the best showing of all the camp days I have been at. During the gassers he ran extra laps even when his unit wasn't being called on.

Kendricks was on the field and did some light work and caught a lot of passes from Hekker.

Oline-Scott Wells appeared to get a vets day off, I don't think he is on any injury list.

Saffold was wearing a brace but participating in some walk through stuff and light shell work.

Tim Barnes got some reps at LG, and I think he needs to be able to swing to make the squad. He held his own with Conrath even though Conrath has the edge in leverage.

Shelley Smith took his turn at LG but he cannot anchor at all against a bull rush. Brockers and everyone matched up against him just shoves him back into the pocket and the QB.

Chris Williams had a handful of jersey a few times but can hold off better on a bull rush than Smith.

Barksdale is by far the best reserve lineman they have right now and this is a position I would really watch the waiver wire and cut wire at the end of pre-season.

Dline-Eugene Sims is absent due to the death of his mother. Gerald Rivers has moved up to his spot in the rotation. He had a great rep today vs Jake Long and really flashed his speed and quickness.

Quinn has, since the first week, been stymied almost on every rep vs Jake Long. At times it looked like Long could either anticipate or mirror his every move. Quinn has never had a good under move and today he finally flashed it. He slammed into Long, knocked his hands down and crossed under for what would have been a sack. Long got him the next two times but the under move was much appreciated.

LInebackers-This was the unit I wanted to watch the most but they did almost all their unit work on the far field. When they came together on the near field for 11 on 11 I keyed in on Ogletree. Early on in camp he really impressed me when he would get singled up on Cook and take him one-one. Today most of the linebacker coverage was dropping into zone and it was apparent that he is often lost and very uncomfortable when he has to drop. At times it looks like he is lost and doesn't know who to cover.

The other guy I watched a lot was Jonathan Stewart and he was much better just dropping zone.

Defenses used to play a SSLB right on top of the tight end and in the last few years almost every defense has gone away from that and either played with their linebackers stacked behind the line or interchangeable where neither is really a strong or weak side. I would think with all the multiple tight end formation in vogue right now that defenses would go back to playing on top of tight ends and denying them a release. The Rams allow tight ends too easy a route into the backfield. They need to knock them down at some point or at least get in the way.

DBacks-Trumaine Johnson had a great jam on Quick in 11 on 11 and put him on his butt about three yards downfield. Of course the other side of that is that Quick is having trouble getting off the line again.

Pointer and McGee seem to be firmly entrenched as the 4 and 5 cornerbacks. Today Stewart and McDonald sat out and the ones were McLeod and Daniels. The guy that draws the most praise today is Cody Davis. He made several plays and is very smooth playing a deep centerfield. He has shown in the past that he can diagnose plays very well from back there. The only thing I see in him is a lack of a burst when he comes out of his back pedal. He flips his hips really well but doesn't close on the ball very fast. Which is odd because when the play is in front of him he comes flying up. That would make me think its a technique issue or can be coached up. He is a very solid tackler.

They spent a lot more time today on just walking through things and just.....lining up right and getting assignments right. I took the gassers as a sign of disapproval from the coach for the results so far.

They have looked much better in practice than they have in the two games so far...so I am going to hang my hat on that.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Good post, you really think that Radway gets the 6 spot over someone like Helmick?

Sounds like Quick has some concentration issues, that's part of being young though.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The day I got to sneak into the "family tent" I got a really good look at what happens when Quick drops a pass....it seems to always occur when they linebackers are able to leap in front of him and distract him with their hands. That was the case today as well with his first drop in 11 on 11.

Helmick is still a favorite but his reps haven't been there lately and I see him more as a candidate for the practice squad at this point than the final 53. Hopefully I am wrong, his mother has become a good friend and its a great story.

Radway has KR potential (which the Rams dearly need, I have seen enough of Pead back there) and while Helmick does as welll, Radway is a burner.

lockdnram21

Legend
bluecoconuts said:
Good post, you really think that Radway gets the 6 spot over someone like Helmick?

Sounds like Quick has some concentration issues, that's part of being young though.

I know I think Radway should get the spot if he stops with the drops he has the size and speed

CoachO

Hall of Fame
lockdnram21 said:
bluecoconuts said:

I know I think Radway should get the spot if he stops with the drops he has the size and speed

With all due respect, Radway has the most suspect hands of any of the guys competing for that 6th spot. And as far as speed, he isn't any faster than Helmick, who also btw, took reps today fielding kicks. He has return experience from his college days.

And while Quick had the one drop, he had another very good practice overall. Two really good catches, one where he used his size to shield off the defender (McGee) on that laser from Bradford, and another on a crossing route.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thanks for the info Jimi! Great stuff.

I like it when you two guys disagree. If I don't like what one of you guys say about one of my favorite players I can just listen to the other guy. :lol:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
:plus1: :plus1:
albefree69 said:
Thanks for the info Jimi! Great stuff.

I like it when you two guys disagree. If I don't like what one of you guys say about one of my favorite players I can just listen to the other guy.

:lol:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks Jimmeh!

I'm glad Quinn gets to go after Long, and vice-versa. They can both benefit. Quinn needs to be able to figure out how to get by/around a mammoth like Long, and Long could polish his skills against speed rushers at the same time.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Thanks for the report!

I've been high on Cody Davis since I saw his film so I'm really happy to hear he's doing well. What do you think his odds are making, the roster?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I look forward to these posts. Thank you JamesBassMan and CoachP.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
jimitroutboy said
jimitroutboy said:
Tim Barnes got some reps at LG, and I think he needs to be able to swing to make the squad. He held his own with Conrath even though Conrath has the edge in leverage.

From all the posts & the two pre season games it seems that Barnes has been getting much work. With Wells getting much time off and is an early to bed thus far in the pre season games...wondering when Boudreau would have seen enough that he was happy with Barnes & is ready to see how well he can do @ Left OG. I do not see Barnes's position as you do I see him as being a solid lock to return to the 53 master roster. Barnes is much thicker and stronger this season where he is 306 pounds on a 6-4 frame...he has a long history of playing and excelling @ OLG before shifting to center his junior 2008 season. After the Scott Wells three back to back surgeries this last yr... it would not be sound to release Barnes.

Shelley Smith took his turn at LG but he cannot anchor at all against a bull rush. Brockers and everyone matched up against him just shoves him back into the pocket and the QB.

This was on going last season too with Shelley. He is not well suited for the Rams type of OL play. If Barnes can show he can be a solid reserve for the OLG post its Shelley who may fall to the 9th Ram Ol'er position.

Chris Williams had a handful of jersey a few times but can hold off better on a bull rush than Smith.

Chris is well over 20 pounds heavier than Smith so it stands to reason he would hold up to the bull rush better. Chris has played OLG a lot in Chicago so he has seen the bull rush often.

Barksdale is by far the best reserve lineman they have right now and this is a position I would really watch the waiver wire and cut wire at the end of pre-season.

It truth this jimitroutboy last sentence speaks volumes to where this team may really be & its really a shame that with all the Ram draft picks acquired the last two drafts that this team needs to watch the waiver wire ( 2012 waiver wire material-Barksdale, Williams, Smith, Barnes, Nsekhe & Washington) to save Sam Bradford's life! I would have preferred that Fisher & Snead would have made the protection of Sam a priority one & would have used the 2012 & 2013 draft (only 1 OL player obtained in Barrett Jones) along with the UFA's (Wells & Long) to ensure his protection was top tier. I hope that Boudreau can pick up ORT Barry Richardson once again to be our reserve ORT.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
BonifayRam knowing the right priorities:
It truth this jimitroutboy last sentence speaks volumes to where this team may really be & its really a shame that with all the Ram draft picks acquired the last two drafts that this team needs to watch the waiver wire ( 2012 waiver wire material-Barksdale, Williams, Smith, Barnes, Nsekhe & Washington) to save Sam Bradford's life! I would have preferred that Fisher & Snead would have made the protection of Sam a priority one & would have used the 2012 & 2013 draft (only 1 OL player obtained in Barrett Jones) along with the UFA's (Wells & Long) to ensure his protection was top tier. I hope that Boudreau can pick up ORT Barry Richardson once again to be our reserve ORT.

While you're singing my song concerning where the draft priorities should have been, I disagree with the bolded part. I think it speaks more about the overall lack of talent this team had when Snisher got here. You don't set a record for futility with good players on your team.

While their priorities aren't the same as mine, all their picks made good sense too.

nighttrain

Legend
X said:
Thanks Jimmeh!

I'm glad Quinn gets to go after Long, and vice-versa. They can both benefit. Quinn needs to be able to figure out how to get by/around a mammoth like Long, and Long could polish his skills against speed rushers at the same time.
u got this one Dude, and again thanks for cool info JTB
train