Monday Camp Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
QB-Austin Davis took most of the snaps with the twos today. Both he and Clemens had good days, Clemens hit Radway for a deep ball in 11 on 11 that was one of the best passes I have ever seen him throw.
Sam took off on a QB draw in the two minute drill and scored but I don't know that I want to see that play live. His legs and calves are painfully thin for a pro athlete.

RB-Cunningham looked gimpy at times and had his ankle and foot looked at early on in the day. He toughed it out and took part in all the drills and reps. He was the up back protector in most of the punt drills I saw, extra guys have to have a special teams role.

Stacy did not participate but was dressed out.

Pead had some really great catches out of the backfield and at times looked like a wideout. In particular there was a corner route he ran in the red zone for a TD that was very smooth. They ran a lot of draws today in drills and 11 on 11. I noticed on several reps where he would get into the hole and then dance right at the line of scrimmage. Richardson would just slam it up the middle until he hit the clear. Richardson is still getting most of the first reps with Pead coming as a pass catcher.

WR-In the absence of Helmick, Raymond Radway has looked like the 6th spot favorite. He has some speed and had several nice catches across the middle today.

An undrafted rookie free agent named Emory Blake popped on the field today and separated himself from the rest.

Givens had an exceptional battle with Jenkins today that Jenkins won for the most part. But there was a play early in 11 on 11 where Givens ran an out and jumped high enough to dunk a basketball in order to catch the ball. He did allow Jenkins to strip him early on in a similar route, nice catch and while he was turning to run Jenkins tomahawked the ball loose.

Quick is still inconsistent, he had an exceptional catch early on off a deep post, went up and battled for it. But then will drop the next two. It seems to the outside to be concentration. Its also apparent after watching him closely that hands waving at the ball distract him. He doesn't even have to be screened off the pass just have a linebacker underneath wave at it as it goes by throws him off.

Austin lines up a lot in the inner slot when they stack multiple receivers to a side. Cook plays to his outside in that set. Austin ran the flip play at least once out of the tailback position.

Bruce and Holt were in attendance with Bruce more involved on the field. He even worked with Austin on punt returns and then they were joined by the old Bears punt returner Jeff Fisher.

Nick Johnson got some work in his comeback as a PR.

Coach Sherman ran a drill today that I had not seen them do before. Sherman lined up 10 yards away from a line of about 6-7 receivers. He would then throw to a receiver running parallel to him about 2-3 yards behind the wall. The guys lined up would swat at the ball and the receiver. Bailey looked really good in the catch in traffic drill.

Oline/Dline-Chris Long got the day off and was in tennis shoes...I checked and it was just Fisher taking care of his vets.

I read the other report about Wells....and while its funny or ironic everyone around me was impressed with how he did in the one-ones. I thought he smothered everyone I saw him matched up with.

For the most part the Oline won today. Brockers still is relentless and the longer the rep goes the more prone he is to be in the QB's pocket. But there was a rep where Chris Williams used superior balance and technique to actually put him on the ground.

Jake Long looked fantastic, his set and stance coming out of his crouch is picture perfect.

Early on in 11 on 11 Saffold got beat badly by Hayes and I thought he was hurt but it turned out to be more hurt feelings I think than anything else, he was back out there after taking a few snaps off.

A kid named Garrett Goebel out of Ohio State had some moments in pass rush drills.

Nysekhe continues to struggle on the right tackle spot while Barksdale had his best day of camp I have seen.

LB-I saw Jabara Williams on the sideline without pads on. If he doesn't get back on the field I think there are too many similarly talented players who will pass him up. I can see Ray Ray's role on special teams and his speed moving him ahead on the roster.

I saw quite a few A gap blitzes today sometimes in tandem with a safety or cornerback off the edge.

On at least two snaps in 11 on 11 the Rams went to a 34 look with Quinn standing up as the fourth linebacker. He dropped into coverage on the plays.

DBacks-Janoris Jenkins had a tremendous day, easily the best single day of practice I have seen from him in two year. Tipped one pass intended for Pettis and caught it on his back. He battled with Givens all day long and won far more than he lost. He showed really quick hands and instincts when he knocked the ball loose early on. He just dominated anyone he was matched up on.

Pointer got quite a bit of work with the twos and was a force on a couple of blitzes. Steeples continues to catch my eye with little things he does and his ability. '

Cody Davis had a play where he broke pre snap up to the line right where the pass went, if it had been full contact he would have completely blown it up.

A55VA6

Legend
Good to hear about Jenkins. He has the potential to be a shutdown corner, but sometimes he bites on fakes and it kills us. If he can continue to practice and play at a high level.. man he's gonna be good.

fearsomefour

Legend
""On at least two snaps in 11 on 11 the Rams went to a 34 look with Quinn standing up as the fourth linebacker. He dropped into coverage on the plays.""

Something they did exactly zero times this year. It will be interesting to see if they mix this stuff in, particularly with Ogletree, Dunbar and McDonald all having an ability to blitz.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Thank you!

Love hearing about a aJ.Long, Saffold has me wondering.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't really notice much of Ganaway today, at first glance I think he runs better in the 11 on 11 than he shows in the drills. He doesn't look like anything special or even very good in the agility drills but in practice you can see him excel.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Why didn't Stacy participate? Did I miss something, he hurt?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Great post Jim!
I think injuries will determine many of the cuts and not just Williams.

Now I'm confused though. Some camp watchers think that Pead had a bad day catching passes but you seem to think, if I read you right, that he had a very good day in that department. Any thoughts about why others saw it differently?

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
Hey Buddy, I hope you are well and I really appreciate seeing you here.

Until they go 11 on 11 there are multiple drills going on. When they go 7 on 7 the Oline and Dline battle it out. I think some of it just comes down to when or where people are watching. I tend to focus on the Oline and Dline until they go 11 on 11 but switch back and forth.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thanks Jim.

Along with your insight on the practices I'm really looking forward to hearing your overall impression of the Rams this year versus last year. Too early for that stuff now of course.

We all really appreciate your camp posts.

And all the rest of your posts too of course. :lol:

How's Peter doing?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thanks again for all the insider info.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
fearsomefour said:
""On at least two snaps in 11 on 11 the Rams went to a 34 look with Quinn standing up as the fourth linebacker. He dropped into coverage on the plays.""

Something they did exactly zero times this year. It will be interesting to see if they mix this stuff in, particularly with Ogletree, Dunbar and McDonald all having an ability to blitz.

My thoughts exactly. Love it!

I think this battle with Jenkins will only help Givens. Pretty much every Sunday he'll have an easier matchup.

I agree jimitroutboy, Jabarra won't make this roster from the sideline. Grrr.

I'm loving all the positive Oline reviews too!

Nice report again, jimitroutboy.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
Alan...

Pete is in the last stages of his battle. But he is also still in communication with me.

Jim

nighttrain

Legend
thanks again JTB
as safety is a concern, at least to me
Cody Davis had a play where he broke pre snap up to the line right where the pass went, if it had been full contact he would have completely blown it up.

I liked to hear this
train

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
jimitroutboy said:
Alan...

Pete is in the last stages of his battle. But he is also still in communication with me.

Jim

When you hear from him ,pass on our well wishes, and thanks for the in depth camp reports. you really have a gift for that jim.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
jimitroutboy replied:

Thanks Jim. My whole family is hoping that he will be able to see the Rams play (and win) this season. Hopefully God will see it that way too. Please give him best wishes from all of us here at the ROD.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
albefree69 said:
Great post Jim!
I think injuries will determine many of the cuts and not just Williams.

Now I'm confused though. Some camp watchers think that Pead had a bad day catching passes but you seem to think, if I read you right, that he had a very good day in that department. Any thoughts about why others saw it differently?

All the tweets I read (admittedly, one was from jimi) said Pead had a pretty good day catching passes. Still... they're tweets, not full reports.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
jimitroutboy said:
RB-Cunningham looked gimpy at times and had his ankle and foot looked at early on in the day. He toughed it out and took part in all the drills and reps. This sounds about right its been a long time since he has gone for it so hard since his severe knee injury...it takes a bit of time to get that soreness out.
He was the up back protector in most of the punt drills I saw, extra guys have to have a special teams role. If Bennie is to make this team he will have to win the ST battles in these areas fore-sure.
Pead had some really great catches out of the backfield and at times looked like a wideout. In particular there was a corner route he ran in the red zone for a TD that was very smooth.
I read in another reports where Pead had some drops but I also noticed that Pead was getting some serious action as a receiver out of the back field with a ton of passes being thrown at him. So in this early stage with the four RB contenders receiving abilities is sure to cause some separation in these battles. Maybe our resident great TC ROD'mers reporters could elaborate more if Pead is getting more passes thrown his way than the others....thus the reason for more drops...???
They ran a lot of draws today in drills and 11 on 11. I noticed on several reps where he would get into the hole and then dance right at the line of scrimmage. Richardson would just slam it up the middle until he hit the clear. Richardson is still getting most of the first reps with Pead coming as a pass catcher.
This is Pead's talent he is able to find holes & dart around the big guys where DR is not as well endowed.
I read the other report about Wells....and while its funny or ironic everyone around me was impressed with how he did in the one-ones. I thought he smothered everyone I saw him matched up with.
Man do I want to hear more of this..Wells is getting much $$ to NOT be impressive. I have been sorely disappointed with him last yr and very worried about that knee.

For the most part the Oline won today. But there was a rep where Chris Williams used superior balance and technique to actually put him (Brockers) on the ground. Looks like CW is getting a clue from Boudreau now. CW has never had any balance :idk: my goodness wonder where CW found it? If CW @ 6-6 320 can win the OLG outright with the 6-7 320 Jake beside him wow that's a tall couple of mountains on Sam's blind side. Both being 28 yr old both were former first round picks in 2008 Long #1 & CW was #14.
Early on in 11 on 11 Saffold got beat badly by Hayes..
TC has been a hard dose of reality for Saffold..He has to go up against Chris Long then Fisher gives Long off & then Saffold has to deal with the best back up DE in the NFL William Hayes would start for another 30 NFL teams. If Saffold ego is able to handle it the next month he will reap major dividends later this yr so will the Rams.

A kid named Garrett Goebel out of Ohio State had some moments in pass rush drills. Barrett being man handled by this Goebel should not be a surprise to the buckeye fans. This kid has some speed rush to him and may latch on to the DT practice squad spot. He is known for his TFL's!

Nysekhe continues to struggle on the right tackle spot. This is what I feared our first back up to ORT is and continues to be very troubling! Nsekhe is a left side OL'er guess he will need some serious time yet to be effective on the right
while Barksdale had his best day of camp I have seen. They are limiting Jake Long thus you see Barksdale back in and getting much time @ LEFT OT not Right OT. When you read the negative reports on Joe it seems to be when they flip him to Right OT.
On at least two snaps in 11 on 11 the Rams went to a 34 look with Quinn standing up as the fourth linebacker. He dropped into coverage on the plays. That leaves Kendall Langford back in his previous position of being the end on that DL again.
Pointer got quite a bit of work with the twos and was a force on a couple of blitzes. Steeples continues to catch my eye with little things he does and his ability. Looks like Pointer has played himself into the 5th CB presently I am surprised.

iced

Quick is still inconsistent, he had an exceptional catch early on off a deep post, went up and battled for it. But then will drop the next two. It seems to the outside to be concentration. Its also apparent after watching him closely that hands waving at the ball distract him. He doesn't even have to be screened off the pass just have a linebacker underneath wave at it as it goes by throws him off.

not a doctor but this sounds like ADD to me (I do have it lol).... wonder if he's ever been tested for it? i didn't know i had it til i was 24, and i had to ask for testing