CAMP REPORT Monday Aug 8

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Tutu is making this team. His hands alone are like glue
1660000673105.jpeg

LA1980

UDFA
Not gonna lie I'm a bit disappointed that Bruss isn't showing well enough and I take it as being more Bruss than Shelton. But you're right it could be Shelton stepping up in the opportunity.

Good thing is we should get a look at Bruss in preseason if he's getting left behind in the starter race. No reason to hold him out at that point.
I don’t like it at all. This group (nitpicking, of course) has a troubling history of playing small and slow dudes (you often have to compromise one or the other, but both?). Not good.

TexasRam

Legend
Thanks for the reports dudes!

Loving what I’m hearing about Tutu.

Pretty sure the RG starter will be clear once some real starting DTs take the field in preseason.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they will be smart about sending him over the middle.
He could get hit like that on the sidelines. His toughness is in question, due to his size. We have to see him get hit and continue to perform, which there is no way to prove until real games.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not gonna lie I'm a bit disappointed that Bruss isn't showing well enough and I take it as being more Bruss than Shelton. But you're right it could be Shelton stepping up in the opportunity.

Good thing is we should get a look at Bruss in preseason if he's getting left behind in the starter race. No reason to hold him out at that point.
They aren't even really practicing yet brother! Yes they sometimes have pads on but there isn't tackling and there isn't really run blocking at all. A guy in his 4th year with the team and 5th in the league should look better right now in these meaningless drills for the OLine if he didn't I'd be worried about him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They aren't even really practicing yet brother! Yes they sometimes have pads on but there isn't tackling and there isn't really run blocking at all. A guy in his 4th year with the team and 5th in the league should look better right now in these meaningless drills for the OLine if he didn't I'd be worried about him.
I'm really not all that concerned tbh. We can't have everything go our way in an offseason right? I still think he's going to be a stout player on the interior once he gets things down. And I respect Shelton's game, even though I'm not sure he's ideal at RG.

Worst case we'll see a line like last year, that can't really run the ball on bigger fronts. And we won the Super Bowl that way so it's really hard to get too worked up. Also early last year Corbs struggled pretty bad on stunts, particularly the ones from the edge. But he locked them down in the second half. So I know this group is in good hands. Gonna just be happy for Shelton for now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm really not all that concerned tbh. We can't have everything go our way in an offseason right? I still think he's going to be a stout player on the interior once he gets things down. And I respect Shelton's game, even though I'm not sure he's ideal at RG.

Worst case we'll see a line like last year, that can't really run the ball on bigger fronts. And we won the Super Bowl that way so it's really hard to get too worked up. Also early last year Corbs struggled pretty bad on stunts, particularly the ones from the edge. But he locked them down in the second half. So I know this group is in good hands. Gonna just be happy for Shelton for now.
This isn't even saying Bruss has been bad. She didn't ask McVay about who's winning the RG spot in camp she asked about Shelton being frisky in camp and starting scrums and keeping it active. He compliments Shelton and says stuff that a 5 year vet should have said about him. People really making a lot out of nothing with these comments that aren't even being put in the right context.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This isn't even saying Bruss has been bad. She didn't ask McVay about who's winning the RG spot in camp she asked about Shelton being frisky in camp and starting scrums and keeping it active. He compliments Shelton and says stuff that a 5 year vet should have said about him. People really making a lot out of nothing with these comments that aren't even being put in the right context.
I don't disagree. But I think if Bruss had learned the scheme quickly and been fully up to speed the chances this would be in question are very low. So I imagine that had something to do with it.

We'll know more this weekend though. If Bruss gets a good look it means they want to work him and coach him up. And that's fine. Even with that it doesn't mean he won't start by midseason.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't disagree. But I think if Bruss had learned the scheme quickly and been fully up to speed the chances this would be in question are very low. So I imagine that had something to do with it.

We'll know more this weekend though. If Bruss gets a good look it means they want to work him and coach him up. And that's fine. Even with that it doesn't mean he won't start by midseason.
Where has anybody said Bruss doesn't know the scheme? I follow Jourdan on twitter and watch McVay's presser after every practice. This is the first I've heard Bruss doesn't know the scheme.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where has anybody said Bruss doesn't know the scheme? I follow Jourdan on twitter and watch McVay's presser after every practice. This is the first I've heard Bruss doesn't know the scheme.
Nobody has said that. I'm pointing out that had he locked the scheme down mentally very quickly he would probably be a slam-dunk starter at RG. This is because it's not a strength thing with him, not judging from his game tape. He's one stout MFer at the point.

So IF he's behind the cause would be him not fully having the scheme down. And chances are specifically that would be protection calls. They can't fuck around with Buffalo game one, it's gonna be live in there.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nobody has said that. I'm pointing out that had he locked the scheme down mentally very quickly he would probably be a slam-dunk starter at RG. This is because it's not a strength thing with him, not judging from his game tape. He's one stout MFer at the point.

So IF he's behind the cause would be him not fully having the scheme down. And chances are specifically that would be protection calls. They can't fuck around with Buffalo game one, it's gonna be live in there.
Sorry man you're grasping at straws and just projecting things that aren't there. You have no idea if he knows the scheme or not or what the pecking order is for the actual RG spot because McVay has said this is a camp battle. The OLine isn't even hitting or actually blocking yet. Anything else is just not there to pick apart. Shelton per McVay when they're not in pads has looked good in his time at Guard and Center. Nothing else at all has been said. Here's the last thing McVay has said about RG:

“Oh, well, he’s got to continue to progress,” McVay said of Bruss on Wednesday. “Right now, there’s a lot of guys that are doing some really good things. I’ve talked about Coleman Shelton who’s really played at a high level. I’ve been really encouraged with Logan, but we got a long way to go until we have to make those types of decisions.”

MachS

Hall of Fame
@Kupped @Merlin remember also last year Evans was starting at RG and Corbett at C all through the off-season and like a week or two before game 1 we put Allen in at center. So maybe Bruss makes a big push late but either way I'm not concerned, Carberry seems like a beast and will coach em up.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I think they will be smart about sending him over the middle.
Agreed. Lots of go routes, outs, corners, crossers, deep overs. The great thing about ARob is his versatility and ability to win in the middle of the field. So we can have him or Kupp work the middle and keep Tutu safe outside or deep. Been loving his off-season hype so far.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry man you're grasping at straws and just projecting things that aren't there.
I'm not making a big deal out of this. Just reading what he said translates into Shelton being the guy. Maybe I'm wrong, sure. I'd actually prefer that you're right and I'm wrong here.

And even if Shelton is ahead that doesn't mean things will stay that way. I'm pretty sure Bruss will own that job at some point this year.