Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I'm concerned about Legette's route running and his tight hips, can more effort into it actually improve it, and by how much. That being said, having Robinson means he can be brought along slowly and used in certain packages right away.

Def have to see what Steve Smith says about him. Guy just knows WR talent.
Steve Smith definitely knows WR talent but talent is only half of the equation. The other half is scheme fit and player development; so much of a draftees success is contingent on them being ideally positioned in the right scheme.

Is McVay's scheme the right fit for Legette? Has McVay had any success with WRs that were not great route runners?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm concerned about Legette's route running and his tight hips, can more effort into it actually improve it, and by how much. That being said, having Robinson means he can be brought along slowly and used in certain packages right away.

Def have to see what Steve Smith says about him. Guy just knows WR talent.
Here's one video he talks about him a bit with RG3. Starts about 3:30 in

View: https://youtu.be/e4GdJN7aUXE?si=rQ3gdALhtD-5JUoc

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Steve Smith definitely knows WR talent but talent is only half of the equation. The other half is scheme fit and player development; so much of a draftees success is contingent on them being ideally positioned in the right scheme.

Is McVay's scheme the right fit for Legette? Has McVay had any success with WRs that were not great route runners?
I'd suggest you watch Smith talk about Legette, might answer your questions.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I got a 2025 2nd in this one as well... lots of trades.

I love the big DB's of Hicks & Jackson.

PS: I did this pre- White signing
View attachment 64973
I will say probably Everytime someone puts it up ...I love love love Pearsall...I could live with this draft id probably want to sneak if it was possible Michael Hall jr in there but I'm probably dreaming....thumbs up

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I'd suggest you watch Smith talk about Legette, might answer your questions.
It doesn't really answer them. I had heard his comparison to DK before. He doesn't say he's a great route runner. He had a limited route tree like DK.

Is that a McVay type of WR? I don't know, but I haven't seen him draft the type that was limited in route running.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I hope you're both right b/c I think he'll be there at 19. The medicals concern me but I'm also not nearly that high on him. NFL.com ranked Bosa and last year's Will Anderson as 7.0+ (Pro Bowl) talents. Latu has a 6.50 grade which is not even projected to be a year 1 starter. (He would start for us though b/c Hoecht is subpar.)

If the NFL thought he was going to be Bosa or TJ Watt they would take him in the top 10. And if he was projected to go in the top 10 and I thought he would be as good as those guys, I would advocate trading up for him. Because more than filling in needs, they need another game wrecker or two especially given AD's retirement.
The main issue with the draft experts is, they do not have any idea what his medicals are saying. They are hedging their bets with his mock position and ranking. Fully healthy with no issues, he is easily the best edge in this class based on production and tape. The real test will be where he actually is taken. One teams Dr might take him off draft board entirely, one might clear him fully. I think we will end up surprised how early he goes (just my guess that several dr's will clear him). He will be 1st defender drafted IMO, which will be our loss. IMO, he is Watt and Bosa coming out, with an injury caveat.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesn't really answer them. I had heard his comparison to DK before. He doesn't say he's a great route runner. He had a limited route tree like DK.

Is that a McVay type of WR? I don't know, but I haven't seen him draft the type that was limited in route running.
That's just one of the videos he talks about him. Check them out. Also he's saying that going into the draft he's better at so.ething than DK was and DK became a better route runner once in the NFL and he thinks Legette has the same ability in him. Talks about how good he is for every thing he's done and been through and his limited time at WR.

I've linked many Smith videos and Legette isn't the only WR he likes just the one I happened to pick in this particular simulator. His youtube channel is great. He really really likes my draft crush Anias Smith Jr.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
That's just one of the videos he talks about him. Check them out. Also he's saying that going into the draft he's better at so.ething than DK was and DK became a better route runner once in the NFL and he thinks Legette has the same ability in him. Talks about how good he is for every thing he's done and been through and his limited time at WR.

I've linked many Smith videos and Legette isn't the only WR he likes just the one I happened to pick in this particular simulator. His youtube channel is great. He really really likes my draft crush Anias Smith Jr.
I love Ainias Smith. I try to get him in as many mocks as I can.

Don't get me wrong on Legette. I like him and think he could be great. I just question whether McVay will like that type. I've seen this video and one other of Smith comparing him to DK. Both times though he alluded to him not being a great route runner since he was limited in his route tree. Sure, he can grow in that area. However, I don't recall McVay drafting or trading for a WR that wasn't already a good route runner.

muggmeister

Rookie
LAiatu LAtu from ucLA, how the hell can he play anywhere else than LA? As you may have seen from my previous posts I'm completely on board for making him a Ram. It's all in the name and LA will be what they call our future Hall of Famer.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Ainias Smith. I try to get him in as many mocks as I can.

Don't get me wrong on Legette. I like him and think he could be great. I just question whether McVay will like that type. I've seen this video and one other of Smith comparing him to DK. Both times though he alluded to him not being a great route runner since he was limited in his route tree. Sure, he can grow in that area. However, I don't recall McVay drafting or trading for a WR that wasn't already a good route runner.
I get that but let me ask a question. Do you think there is a McVay type that plays the X? What we see he likes in a WR you don't often see in the guys who excel as an X. We've never really had a good one with McVay i.o. we've had a few guys that filled the spot but I don't k own that he's ever really had that kind d of guy. I think he gets it this year and there are guys who we could draft in a multitude of rounds for that dpot

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
My Draft Picks
NFL-team-logo

Dallas TurnerEDGE Alabama
NFL-team-logo

Braden FiskeDT Florida State
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Cole BishopS Utah
NFL-team-logo

Junior ColsonLB Michigan
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Mike SainristilCB Michigan
NFL-team-logo

Isaiah DavisRB South Dakota State
NFL-team-logo

Garret GreenfieldOT South Dakota State
NFL-team-logo

Sataoa LaumeaOG Utah
NFL-team-logo

Sione VakiS Utah
NFL-team-logo

Anthony GouldWR Oregon State
NFL-team-logo

Cam LittleK Arkansas

McVay would be pissed about the lack of WR picks. OBJ back in town for a year?

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I get that but let me ask a question. Do you think there is a McVay type that plays the X? What we see he likes in a WR you don't often see in the guys who excel as an X. We've never really had a good one with McVay i.o. we've had a few guys that filled the spot but I don't k own that he's ever really had that kind d of guy. I think he gets it this year and there are guys who we could draft in a multitude of rounds for that dpot
Yes. Odunze!

Also, Cooks. They likely would have kept him for years but he started getting concussions. I'm already on record as saying I think there is a reason they interviewed Odunze and were rumored to be strongly interested in Mike Evans before he resigned with his team.

With all of the recent signing on D, I feel they are setting themselves up to make a move at 19. I suspect it's for an X WR - one of the top 4 guys.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What makes Legette intriguing is he's one of those who might be a better pro than he was in college. If and when he puts things together he's potentially a beast of a player. Dude can get up for it, he's an explosive athlete, would be a threat anywhere he catches it.

But I do agree he has to fit on the mental side with the Rams. They're known to be one of the tougher offenses, they run a shit ton of motions and use the wideouts heavily in the run game. So they aren't going to want a one-trick pony who can just run nines. Gotta be cerebral enough to grasp the playbook quickly as a rook in order to translate early on.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion

Now THAT is a McVay type WR. Not to mention he could be a killer returner for us, the likes of which we haven't had in a long time.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This would float my boat!
pfn-logo

Johnny Newton DT Illinois
Xavier Legette WR South Carolina
Brandon Dorlus EDGE Oregon
Cole Bishop S Utah
Kris Jenkins DT Michigan
Malik Washington WR Virginia
Audric Estime RB Notre Dame
Garret Greenfield OT South Dakota State
Omar Speights LB LSU
Dylan McMahon AND NC State
Storm Duck CB Louisville

2025 CLE 3rd

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This would float my boat!
pfn-logo

Johnny Newton DT Illinois
Xavier Legette WR South Carolina
Brandon Dorlus EDGE Oregon
Cole Bishop S Utah
Kris Jenkins DT Michigan
Malik Washington WR Virginia
Audric Estime RB Notre Dame
Garret Greenfield OT South Dakota State
Omar Speights LB LSU
Dylan McMahon AND NC State
Storm Duck CB Louisville

2025 CLE 3rd
We need a backup center still more than a 5th tackle. Just my 2 cents.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice vid here by Kurt, who always puts up quality of course. I will add... There aren't a lot of QBs who can "arm" the ball where they want it, i.e. placing it with accuracy, when their feet are not ideally lined up. Penix is one of them. What will he be after a redshirt year where he works on his lower body mechanics a bit? I think the Rams would be an ideal landing spot for him, though of course I don't see us taking him but I also would not rule it out if he has the right stuff on the chalkboard and interacting with the Rams staff. He's the best deep ball thrower in this class in spite of his iffy lower body mechanics, IMO, and that's something that is very difficult to teach. Many QBs lack the cajones to do that. But you can teach this kid mechanics.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXCc6K46ROg

I am Duck fan..so take this with a grain of salt. The few games I saw him play versus Bo Nix....I think Odunze made Penix look better than he is as Odunze seemed to always give Penix a huge window to throw to...Nix, I believe, can throw into tighter windows as he didn't have anyone like Odunze getting big separations. Jmho