Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

WestCoastRam

Legend
If he didn't have the injury history, he'd be a near lock for the first 10-12 picks.
I am a firm believer that an injury like his has very little to do with a slide up and down the 1st, if it's an issue, he most likely would slide to the 3rd and be off a number of boards completely.

The concern with him is he's maxed out athletically and there's no ability to ascend.

He's a 15-25 guy in this draft. Nothing wrong with that!

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I am a firm believer that an injury like his has very little to do with a slide up and down the 1st, if it's an issue, he most likely would slide to the 3rd and be off a number of boards completely.

The concern with him is he's maxed out athletically and there's no ability to ascend.

He's a 15-25 guy in this draft. Nothing wrong with that!
I disagree.

The reaction to his medical record is likely going to be somewhat subjective. What we know is that he had a very severe injury that was thought to be career-ending, and then he came back and played two years without any significant injuries.

Some teams will look at that and conclude that the injury is sufficiently time-attenuated to be a minimal factor.
Some teams may conclude that its too great a risk to take a guy (particularly in Round 1) who is (more so than most) "one hit away" from being done.

Nobody, not even the doctors, know whether he'll play one or 15 years.

All that said... all it takes is one team that is confident in his condition. That could happen as early as pick 7 (Titans) or 8 (Falcons), or he could last late into the first round.

Talent wise, alone, though, I don't see how anyone could say he's a #15 pick at best. He has the measurables and productivity to go higher than that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is a piece on ESPN from Bill Barnwell that has trade offers for each team in the draft, this is ours:

Not really sure what to think about it. Who wouldn't like Surtain? But, he wasn't his dominant self last season. In 2022, he probably was top 3 CB in the league, last season, for whatever reason, he was not. According to PFF, he was the 42nd ranked CB, below Quentin Lake and waaay below D.Williams. His coverage grade was honestly not good, and that is the one stat you'd hope would be. . Read into that what you like, but, personally, I'm not throwing 2 1st rounders and a 3rd at them, that's too steep for me. To be honest, I'd rather have Arnold or Mitchell with their 5 years under contract control and our 1st next year, 3rd this year (if we are set on getting a top end CB).
That's no bueno to me. 2 first then pay him?

WestCoastRam

Legend
I disagree.

The reaction to his medical record is likely going to be somewhat subjective. What we know is that he had a very severe injury that was thought to be career-ending, and then he came back and played two years without any significant injuries.

Some teams will look at that and conclude that the injury is sufficiently time-attenuated to be a minimal factor.
Some teams may conclude that its too great a risk to take a guy (particularly in Round 1) who is (more so than most) "one hit away" from being done.

Nobody, not even the doctors, know whether he'll play one or 15 years.

All that said... all it takes is one team that is confident in his condition. That could happen as early as pick 7 (Titans) or 8 (Falcons), or he could last late into the first round.

Talent wise, alone, though, I don't see how anyone could say he's a #15 pick at best. He has the measurables and productivity to go higher than that.
agree, all it takes is one team

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
That's no bueno to me. 2 first then pay him?
Don't forget about that 3rd rounder also, as the cherry on top. Its a ridiculous trade TBH. Last season also suggests he isn't a top 5 CB, which Ramsey was when we traded for him. Hell, based on PFF, he wasn't even a top 40 CB (which I don't agree with, but it is a study).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't forget about that 3rd rounder also, as the cherry on top. Its a ridiculous trade TBH. Last season also suggests he isn't a top 5 CB, which Ramsey was when we traded for him. Hell, based on PFF, he wasn't even a top 40 CB (which I don't agree with, but it is a study).
Yeah I've never been a big pff fan, it's information but everyone has their own uses for it. But for them to have him so low? Ouch very ouch

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I want to keep a first for next yr for the potential of acquiring our future QB.
From what I've heard, next year is a much worse draft class compared to this one. But yeah, I get the sentiment.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This one was a little different but I like it.

1713571122749.png

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I know we haven't discussed it much here, but thoughts on trading two #1's for Surtain?

I wouldn't, but that idea has been kicked around, most recently by Barnwell on espn.com.

Granted, it gives you 3 yrs of a cost controlled contract for a 24 yr old premier CB. It would be much like the Ramsey trade, yet for a younger player and cheaper contract for a few yrs.

To me the difference is that they got Ramsey while they had a 24 yr old Goff and no apparent need to spend a high pick on a QB. That is much different this time around. They will likley need a #1 pick in 25' to grab their next QB.

If they knew for sure that Stafford would play 3 more yrs then it would allow you to take the hit in 24' & 25' with no 1st's, and grab a QB in 26'. Of course they could always go the vet QB route as well. Try to fix someone who was given up on, and not need a high pick.

Anyway, curious of the thoughts on here regarding such a trade.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I know we haven't discussed it much here, but thoughts on trading two #1's for Surtain?

I wouldn't, but that idea has been kicked around, most recently by Barnwell on espn.com.

Granted, it gives you 3 yrs of a cost controlled contract for a 24 yr old premier CB. It would be much like the Ramsey trade, yet for a younger player and cheaper contract for a few yrs.

To me the difference is that they got Ramsey while they had a 24 yr old Goff and no apparent need to spend a high pick on a QB. That is much different this time around. They will likley need a #1 pick in 25' to grab their next QB.

If they knew for sure that Stafford would play 3 more yrs then it would allow you to take the hit in 24' & 25' with no 1st's, and grab a QB in 26'. Of course they could always go the vet QB route as well. Try to fix someone who was given up on, and not need a high pick.

Anyway, curious of the thoughts on here regarding such a trade.
I call it INSANITY! You just got three vets in the secondary. We would be wise to sprinkle youth all around them to learn. We are going to need a QB in the next couple of drafts. (Unless, of course, they shock us and nab one early next week.) Hate to squander draft capital for that this year.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Isn't Surtain going into the fourth year of his rookie contract, making him a free agent in 2025?

I believe the 5th year option would still be available but as a high pick, that should be a very big number.

Aside from the trade cost ... two first round picks seems excessive to me ... Surtain would need to be extended.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I for one would like to see the Rams stand pat and make the pick at 19 because there will be some high-quality players available at that spot with the number of QBs and WRs taken before they pick. I have my fingers crossed that Bowers somehow makes it to 19, but if he doesn't take the best edge rusher that is available.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Knowing how Les operates, the Rams are more likely to trade down than up.

The only way I can see him trading upwards is if an elite offensive player comes within reach, say from 11 onwards.