Mock draft: Matthews makes sense, but ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
ST. LOUIS -- Everything about Todd McShay's selection of Texas A&M left tackle Jake Matthews for the St. Louis Rams in his initial 2014 mock draft
in.gif
makes sense. But that doesn't make it a slam dunk.

Premier tackles can be hard to find, and although the Rams have their left tackle in Jake Long under contract for the next three years, the addition of a player such as Matthews would give Long a solid partner for the time being while also providing the Rams a long-term solution on the left side.

Joe Barksdale has played well at right tackle since stepping in for Rodger Saffold in Week 3, but it remains to be seen whether he's done enough to earn the job on a full-time basis. There are worse things than having a proven and reliable player like Barksdale as the third tackle moving forward.

In early projections, Matthews is regarded as the best tackle in the draft and a plug-and-play starter from day one. Given the Rams' primary needs -- offensive line, secondary and wide receiver -- Matthews likely represents the best match of need and value for a potential No. 2 overall draft choice.

Digging deeper, Matthews makes sense on a level beyond his talent and the Rams' needs. Rams coach Jeff Fisher has a history of passing on offensive linemen with his first-round picks, but if ever a player were to alter that, Matthews could be the one. Matthews is the son of Bruce Matthews, a Hall of Fame offensive lineman who played for Fisher with the Oilers/Titans from 1994 to 2001.

That doesn't guarantee anything, but it stands to reason that those ties could act as a tiebreaker if it comes down to it.

Of course, for all the reasons Matthews to the Rams is logical, there's one big X factor that would stand in the way: a freakish, 6-foot-6, 274-pounder who goes by the name of Jadeveon Clowney. South Carolina's superstar defensive end would be available at No. 2 in McShay's scenario, with Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater going to Houston at No. 1. Having Clowney on the board would present the Rams with a pair of options even more intriguing than Matthews.

The first would be to actually draft Clowney. While the Rams are loaded at defensive end, Fisher abides by the idea that you can never have too many pass-rushers. A line featuring the likes of Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes and Clowney would be an absolute nightmare for opponents. Would it be a long shot? Maybe, but never say never when it comes to Fisher and premium pass-rushers, especially a difference-maker the caliber of Clowney.

The other, more likely, option would be the Rams using Clowney as trade bait to bring back another haul of draft picks and move down in the draft. Fisher and general manager Les Snead have not been shy about pulling the trigger on trades in their two drafts together. Heck, they own this pick because of the deal that sent the No. 2 pick in the 2012 draft to Washington.

It's unlikely the Rams would get a return on par with what they got for that selection, but the market for Clowney or even the next-best quarterback likely would land them some more quality draft spots while not forcing them to move down too far.

In what amounts to the Rams' ideal world, they could make such a trade and still land a player such as Matthews or Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins. Either way, last year's trade with the Redskins figures to be the gift that keeps on giving in St. Louis.

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/4218/mcshays-mock-matthews-makes-sense-but

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Will be a fun draft, regardless of what we do. I have my opinions, but, more importantly, I trust in Snead.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Release Dahl and give that money to Saffold in addition to what he's getting now. I'd like to keep him on our team!

ausmurp

Starter
I think the Clowney hype will return after the combine, and we could potentially get a lot for the pick if the Texans don't draft him. Excited for the draft!

V3

Hall of Fame
Release Dahl and give that money to Saffold in addition to what he's getting now. I'd like to keep him on our team!

It's going to take way more than what Dahl was making. I'm not sure people realize what Saffold's about to make in free agency. Our only hope is that he takes a discount to stay with us (I don't see why he would, though).

V3

Hall of Fame
I think the Clowney hype will return after the combine, and we could potentially get a lot for the pick if the Texans don't draft him. Excited for the draft!

Is there a recent example of a team trading up for a DE where they gave up a lot? I honestly don't know of any. I seriously doubt the bounty will be that great for a DE. The real returns for trades come from QB's and I don't see too many worthy of giving up a bounty in this draft. I really hope I'm wrong but that's just the feeling I'm getting right now.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
After the combine when the media circus gets rolling at full speed with all of the "experts" talking up these QBs there'll be a couple that teams "fall in love with".

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is there a recent example of a team trading up for a DE where they gave up a lot? I honestly don't know of any. I seriously doubt the bounty will be that great for a DE. The real returns for trades come from QB's and I don't see too many worthy of giving up a bounty in this draft. I really hope I'm wrong but that's just the feeling I'm getting right now.

yep, we have to hope some qb skyrockets his value during the draft process. it's happened before and it will happen again.

or the rams can just take clowney or matthews.

either way they win.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

No

IMO 34 defense teams can get the needed pass rushers from many the the tweeners that we see each & every year. The real deal is a bonified 43 DE combo that can rush the passer & plays tough against the run....Now that a real find. Clowney fit that rare jewel
fully. To me he looks like a taller, longer, bigger, stronger DeMarcus Ware minus the class.

The changes in the rookie Cap on the draft would make Jadeveon that much more valuable.

Last edited by a moderator:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I have my worries about Clowneys motivation and desire, but his sheer size and speed should mean he wont be a bust I don't think. I still would prefer Matthews though as he's a class act so its not drafting "for position" but potentially drafting on BPA - and ALSO he fits a hole - wheras our D-line is solid as it is. I like Hayes and Sims as backups - and Chris Long will hopefully get a full offseason to get healthy and come back next year stronger than he's been this year.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If this guy's dad played for Fisher, then he might take him. He did the same with McDonald.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

I think if Clowney is there we take him.
He might be better than Quinn, think about that for a minute. 2 elite players on a team of good players. Think Rams win the Saint's game with out Quinn?
Clowney is a game changer. The question is do you trade a elite game changer for a mid 1st a 2nd and 3rd package of just good players?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As great as C Long is... Imagine two Quinn's rushing the passer!

Clowney brings that kind of talent.

Now me... I want to load up the OL. So a slight trade down wouldn't hurt my feelings.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I want the Browns to have a draft position ahead of the Falcons, then trade their first picks this year to move up. I would love to get Clowney/Matthews, Evans, and a DB in the first rd.

I'm dreaming, don't kill my vibe.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Take Jadeveon Clowney and then go with a 5-2-4 defense! Nobody will want to play the St. Louis Rams...Nobody!
130214140912-clowney-top-1-single-image-cut.jpg

V3

Hall of Fame
Take Jadeveon Clowney and then go with a 5-2-4 defense! Nobody will want to play the St. Louis Rams...Nobody!
130214140912-clowney-top-1-single-image-cut.jpg

From what I've read, the 4-3 was born from the 5-2-4 because of its vulnerability. The offenses would just spread out and it would put pressure on the LB's and they'd get gashed. Defenses responded to this by putting an extra LB in the middle, and thus the 4-3 was born.

It certainly sounds interesting and I'm sure it could work on certain downs but I'm not sure it'd work if they stayed mostly in a 5-2-4- not with teams using the spread offense more and more in the NFL.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Quinn, Hayes, Brockers, Long, Clowney = Unblockable. Ogletree and Laurinaitis LB's wth McDonald single high and Jenkins and Johnson CBs. Spread that out at your own risk because the QB has less than two seconds to release the ball without max protection. Mmmmmmmm. Wilson and Kaepernick would taste like chicken.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I recall seeing a play or two last weekend when the Rams went with a 5 man front