Mock draft: About that 'other pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay released his newest mock draft Wednesday and it generated plenty of discussion when it comes to the St. Louis Rams and the second overall pick they own courtesy of the Washington Redskins.

Lost in the mix of McShay's projection of the Rams taking Texas A&M offensive tackle Jake Matthews at No. 2 was the fact that the Rams hold another pick, currently No. 14 overall, in the first round. McShay's projection there was no laughing matter.

OK, sorry, had to get that first bad pun out of the way now because I have a feeling McShay's choice of Alabama safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to the Rams with their second first-round pick is one that's going to be quite popular in the buildup to the draft.

Here's what McShay had to say about the free safety and the Rams:

"This might be something of a reach, but I actually think that safety has taken on more importance with the increasing number of slot receivers and pass-catching tight ends. Clinton-Dix doesn't have elite man-to-man cover skills, but he has good range when asked to cover the middle of the field and very good closing burst. He comes in hard, blows up plays and isn't afraid to mix things up. He's exactly what you're looking for in terms of a complete safety, and he fills another need for the Rams."

The safety position has generally been the biggest weakness of the Rams defense in 2013. They believe they have one piece locked in for the future in T.J. McDonald, who has started every game in which he's been healthy. McDonald is more of a box safety, capable of coming up and helping in run support. What the Rams need next to him is a ball hawking type to patrol the middle of the field. Rodney McLeod has improved as the season has gone on but is probably best suited as a backup and special teamer. If Clinton-Dix fits the play making mode, he would make sense for St. Louis.

Of course, there are other directions the Rams could go here if, as McShay says, the team considers Clinton-Dix a bit of a "reach" at this point in the draft. A top receiver such as Clemson's Sammy Watkins, Texas A&M's Mike Evans or USC's Marqise Lee would also have to be intriguing for an offense still in need of a true No. 1 type wideout. If the Rams felt one of those guys was capable of being that, it's something they'd have to consider.

But at the end of the day, the Rams' biggest need heading into the offseason is help in the secondary. Cornerback Cortland Finnegan may not be back and if he is, it would almost certainly be under a drastically altered contract. That leaves Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson as the top two corners. Even if the Rams believe that's their starting duo moving forward, another top corner would remain a necessity with the need for at least three in today's NFL.

Although plenty can change in the next five months, there doesn't appear to be a defensive back worth taking in the top 10. Thus, going with the best secondary piece available, be it a safety or a corner, would make a lot of sense for the Rams' second first-round choice.

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/4285/mock-draft-about-that-other-pick

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'd love to draft a top corner and move a ball hawk like Jenkins to safety

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Jenkins just isn't that good in zone coverage and he's a worse tackler. Hasean isn't a big hitter, but he's more of a technical tackler, and he's good at coming up on the play and even helping out with the run.

They really do need a complete safety, and he's exactly the kind of guy that would allow Jenkins to have another game like he did against the Saints. I actually love watching Jenkins match up even against physical receivers in man coverage. He just keeps improving, as does his zone coverage, but his strength is his strength.

That said I'd love to see them draft another corner as well, but a well rounded free safety would dramatically improve the defense all around.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Short term Dennard / Curtis and Clinton-Dix would be the easiest fix for the defense. But long term I'm not sure.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
Short term Dennard / Curtis and Clinton-Dix would be the easiest fix for the defense. But long term I'm not sure.

not really sure what you mean? It's not like we're bringing in aging vets for a short term fix.. those are two rookies considered to be the best at their positions. Wouldn't them growing together with the defense benefit long term?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
not really sure what you mean? It's not like we're bringing in aging vets for a short term fix.. those are two rookies considered to be the best at their positions. Wouldn't them growing together with the defense benefit long term?

What I mean is the're good players and would help game one and improve the defense. But they are just good players. You can get good players later in the draft. A couple years when they are maxed out the Rams might be looking for upgrades.

Trade down latter in the 1st sure grab one or two.

It's like all the OT's taken in the taken in the 1st rd in the 09 draft. None of them turned out that great because they were over drafted for need and graded against OT's in other drafts it was weak group.

V3

Hall of Fame
Sign Byrd in free agency and then you don't have to reach for Clinton-Dix. Take one of the WR's or a CB at 14(or wherever it ends up).

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Sign Byrd in free agency and then you don't have to reach for Clinton-Dix. Take one of the WR's or a CB at 14(or wherever it ends up).

I really like Byrd and would like to see him in horns, but part of me is still worried that once he gets his big payday (and it sounds like he wants a HUGE one) that he'll lose some of his fire.

That said, if it's feasible I'd love for the Rams to take a shot at him.

Alan

Legend
Signing Saffold and Byrd in FA would be awesome. That would really open up our options in the draft.:woot:

paceram

Pro Bowler
Signing Saffold and Byrd in FA would be awesome. That would really open up our options in the draft.:woot:

Agreed! Signing Saffold & Byrd would be great moves for the Rams! I would then be thrilled to see the Rams get Clowney with their 1st Pick and the best available WR (Watkins, Evans, Lee or Benjamin) with their other 1st round pick and then the best available CB in round 2!