Mock 1.0 of 2014: Rams back two Day 1 trades

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
With taking consideration of Need and BPA I created my Mock draft. Was looking to improve position groups as Snead says is a primary while taking advantage of the market and other teams needs. I have a feeling we have 2 first day trades that happen. First 6 picks are mocked to give you a idea of how it all played out.

TRADES:
Cleveland trades #4 (1800) and #35 (550) Combined (2350) for
Rams #2 (2600)

Rams trade #13 (1150) and #35 (550) Combined (1700) for
Atlanta #6 (1600)
NFL DRAFT:

1. Jadeveon Clowney DE HOU - BPA in draft HOU war room cannot and will not pass him up.

2. Johnny Manziel QB CLE - Johnny Football not only fits a need but his dynamic play making ability throwing and running is to hard to pass up, especially at a decent price.

3. Blake Bortles QB Jags - With Manziel off the board Bortles or Watkins fits BPA and with the emergence of Cecil Short last year and possibilities of Blackmon getting straight the QB situation (Henne) wins out over BPA by a slim margin.

4. Jake Matthews OT Rams - After much debate the consistent upside, starting quality, and versatility Matthews brings as well as a relationship of Fisher with Jakes bloodlines (think McDonald) we go Jake.

5. Sammy Watkins WR Oak - RFIP has a heart attack as the BPA goes off the board that will help Matt Schaub out in Oakland.

6. Mike Evans WR Rams - After a debate within the rams brass and scenarios playing out the Rams brass reaches out with the Org. we have a recent and past relationships with and move up and get a BIG BODIED RED ZONE, AND VERTICAL THREAT that will open up and help develop the rest of our playmakers.

Round 1 -
1. #4 Jake Matthews OT/OL

Watch this video and tell me you don't like this kid. 10 yr. + starter for us.

1. #6 Mike Evans WR

Somebody to compete with our physical CB's in the NFC West (f u Sherman)

2. #44 Jimmie Ward FS/S

Am I the last guy on the Jimmie Ward band wagon?

3. #75 Stanley Jean Baptiste CB

4. #110 Jordn Zumwalt OLB

5. #153 Aaron Murray QB

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Best mock draft so far, imo.:owned:

Thankyou Appreciate it. Looked at it in getting 3 Game 1 Starters that will be "Game Changers" in there own right. We need to nail this draft to get over that hump in our division.

I like Robinson better but would be happy with this draft.

Honestly I debated between Robinson and Matthews and thought it would be better to go with the safer pick TBH, plus I think Fisher's relationship with the Matthews family is the tie breaker ( see T.J. McDonald)

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Can't wait until my mock becaomes real ;)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great Mock although would go Guard over OLB at four seems many on this board have mocks with OLB's early IMO it's not an area of need because they just resigned Dunbar and they are very high on Ray-Ray Armstrong plus IMO you can get an OLB later in the draft, whereas Guard is an area of need for the Rams and that guy along with Matthews could be starting day one.

I realize maybe some would figure that Matthews or Barksdale would play the LG position, but Wells, Saffold and Jake Long have quite an injury history so more quality offensive linemen will be needed come September Morn.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Great Mock although would go Guard over OLB at four seems many on this board have mocks with OLB's early IMO it's not an area of need because they just resigned Dunbar and they are very high on Ray-Ray Armstrong plus IMO you can get an OLB later in the draft, whereas Guard is an area of need for the Rams and that guy along with Matthews could be starting day one.

I realize maybe some would figure that Matthews or Barksdale would play the LG position, but Wells, Saffold and Jake Long have quite an injury history so more quality offensive linemen will be needed come September Morn.
I was debating taking a Gabe Jackson or Thomas tbh with you however I was really debating with everybody in front of us and thier team needs who would be left and was thinking this would be what it would look like with BPA and needs mixed in when our turn comes up to draft. I just couldn't pass up on shoring up our defensive backfield in Ward Jean-Baptiste! lol

Im thinking if this was going to come to pass we'd get a elite G talent next year? Hopefully (and I'm praying) Barrett Jones arises this year and Jake Long's legs hold out!

SierraRam

Recreational User
Very nice! Matthews & Evans would make a great first day haul

"RFIP has a heart attack as the BPA goes off the board that will help Matt Schaub out in Oakland." :LOL:

Like Den, I'd go guard before LB. We need 2 quality o-linemen

and welcome to the Jimmie Ward bandwagon

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was debating taking a Gabe Jackson or Thomas tbh with you however I was really debating with everybody in front of us and thier team needs who would be left and was thinking this would be what it would look like with BPA and needs mixed in when our turn comes up to draft. I just couldn't pass up on shoring up our defensive backfield in Ward Jean-Baptiste! lol

Im thinking if this was going to come to pass we'd get a elite G talent next year? Hopefully (and I'm praying) Barrett Jones arises this year and Jake Long's legs hold out!

Great points and maybe Jones can play Guard, however, IMO Wells is good for about eight games and enter Barrett Jones for the next dozen years. Who knows I am sure if they miss on OG they will load up in rounds 6 & 7, but I would feel better with someone like Jackson as you posted or Billy Turner as well. Hey maybe they kept Brandon Washington for a reason because I felt they should have released him over DE Gerald Rivers who is now on the Jags.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Very nice! Matthews & Evans would make a great first day haul

"RFIP has a heart attack as the BPA goes off the board that will help Matt Schaub out in Oakland." :LOL:

Like Den, I'd go guard before LB. We need 2 quality o-linemen

and welcome to the Jimmie Ward bandwagon

Yes Starting to think Thomas wouldn't be bad since he will fall due to his injury. If he can get back to premier shape he'd be a beast pick up!
And when you welcome me to the bandwagon your supposed to do that with a beer in hand!!??!! lol
Great points and maybe Jones can play Guard, however, IMO Wells is good for about eight games and enter Barrett Jones for the next dozen years. Who knows I am sure if they miss on OG they will load up in rounds 6 & 7, but I would feel better with someone like Jackson as you posted or Billy Turner as well. Hey maybe they kept Brandon Washington for a reason because I felt they should have released him over DE Gerald Rivers who is now on the Jags.

It would be nice if Barrett was able to get us set for many playoff pushes for the years to come and a center with consistency for Sam. Wells if healthy is pretty damn stout as the stats will suggest so I hope if he is benched it's due Barett coming into his own...

I think with all of the 6th and 7th rounders this year we are going to strike gold on one or two of them. We have a increased chance to find someone who everyone else passed on. Have either of you looked at last day prospects that would be a good fit for us?