MMQB: Vernon Davis - 6/16/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
vd-stry.jpg

Marcio Jose Sanchez/AP

On Holding Out, Money and that NFC Title Game Loss
Welcome to Monday Morning QB, Guest Edition! 49ers tight end Vernon Davis takes the reins and dishes on topics including his ongoing contract situation, the biggest problem in NFL locker rooms and losing to the rival Seahawks
By Vernon Davis

Welcome to Monday Morning QB, Guest Edition! 49ers tight end Vernon Davis takes the reins and dishes on topics including his ongoing contract situation, the biggest problem in NFL locker rooms and losing to the rival Seahawks

Welcome to my version of Monday Morning Quarterback. With Peter King on vacation, I have some thoughts on financial literacy in the NFL, the identity of the best QB not named Colin Kaepernick and the last word on that NFC Championship Game. But first, let’s talk about the elephant in the room…

Why I’m Holding Out

In 2010 I signed a five-year, $37 million contract extension with $23 million guaranteed. It was the biggest contract for a tight end in league history. Four years later, and I’m playing at a higher level than I was then, which brings me to why I’m holding out. It’s all about getting paid what you deserve. It’s not that complicated. I want the 49ers to win the Super Bowl, and I want to be on the field this summer working toward that goal, but I have to worry about my future first. Most of my teammates and many players in the NFL understand that. A few don’t.

Behind closed doors, they’ll say they’re all about the team and would run through a brick wall for the organization. But when you look closer, they’re doing things to contradict themselves. I can’t listen to anyone but my family and my advisors, because those are the people who are going to be there when football inevitably dumps me.

Moving on…

The NFL’s Money Problem

The majority of the NFL draft class of 2006 turns 30 this season, if they haven’t already. I left the University of Maryland as a junior after turning 22 that January. It’s been eight years, and already, the guy picked after me at No. 7 (Michael Huff) is out of football, and the first QB taken—Vince Young—is gone too. Yet it still was a great draft, in retrospect. Thirty-seven of us have made Pro Bowls, including 17 first-rounders; more than 200 did not. Where do they all go? Some of them will last a dozen years in the league as journeymen, happy to scrape by.

Many only lasted two or three years. Some of them got that first check and bought a car, and then another, and then another. They take expensive offseason vacations to places they never dreamed of going, or they go to the club every weekend, like I did as a rookie, desperate to satisfy the kid in each of us who once fantasized about having money.

I like the rookie wage scale that limited the salaries of all draft picks, which is easy for me to say having not been affected by it. First-rounders deserve a significant chunk of the pie, but not at the expense of veterans. The truth is, for many players, the size of the contract doesn’t matter because they’re going to blow the money anyway. Financial literacy is the biggest problem I see in NFL locker rooms.

Too many players spend their money on cars they don’t drive and homes they barely live in. I’ve had veterans on their second contract ask me for money. More often, it’s retired players who need the help, once the checks have stopped coming. It took me fours years to figure it out, to see not only guys crash and burn, but to watch other players with business sense and learn from them.

It should come as no surprise that quarterbacks are the best with their money. They’re the kids whose fathers owned small businesses or had comfortable enough careers to coach them up as kids. We didn’t have that. My parents were unstable or absent for my brothers Vontae and Michael, so we were raised by a grandmother in Washington. Many of the black players I know come from similar backgrounds, from single or no-parent homes. We were trying to figure out how to scrape together $5 while the quarterbacks were learning to manage a $100. Our young athletes need help, and that’s where the NFL and the NFLPA need to come in.

It’s not enough to gather rookies in June and tell them how not to go broke, or to offer an offseason financial seminar at a college. Those are great steps taken by the NFL in recent years with their rookie symposium and the player engagement program. But if they really want to save young players from themselves, they have to make it mandatory. Send a college professor to every NFL team and require all players to attend business seminars during training camp. Maybe guys didn’t pay attention during college, but the lessons take on a new meaning when you’re finally getting paid.

More than 300 of us enter this league every year, and there’s no excuse for any of us to leave it poorer than we started.

sherman-crabs.jpg

Richard Sherman tipped the pass attempted for Michael Crabtree, which resulted in a Seattle interception and the NFC title. (Matt Slocum/AP)

The Best Game I’ve Ever Played In

As athletes, we like to say we’ve moved on entirely from losses, pouring focus into next season. Often, that’s not true. Every once in a while, while I’ve been traveling this summer or working out or spending time with my family, I think about that NFC Championship Game against Seattle—the one Richard Sherman correctly described as the real Super Bowl.

A few things I remember:

• I’ve never sweated so much in a football game.
  • I’ve never heard so much trash talk in a football game.
  • I’ve never been more optimistic that we were going to get the job done as I was on that last drive.
You know what happened, of course; Sherman tipped Colin Kaepernick’s end zone attempt to Michael Crabtree, turning it into a game-winning interception. Kudos to the Seahawks, who won a Super Bowl with a defense that isn’t as simple as the players like to boast. I don’t know how they went about trying to stop the rest of their opponents, but they spent a lot of effort mixing up coverages against us.

But that’s not what stands out to me about that game. I think about the final play, and all the talk that followed it. Did Kaepernick make a bad throw, or a bad decision? Is Sherman lucky or good? My answers: Sherman is good. And Kaepernick made the right call, no matter the outcome. He took a shot. He put his trust in his No. 1 receiver. Sometimes they make the plays, sometimes they don’t. But in those moments you have to have faith that your guy is going to pull it down.

It was, and remains, a devastating finish. But I think it made Crabtree and Kaepernick stronger. Anytime you fall into a situation where stuff doesn’t go the way you expected, where you know you should’ve made a play but you didn’t, it makes you go correct it. With experience comes growth.

It’s exhausting to make it two years in a row and not finish. I hope my younger teammates realize that you can’t take the opportunity for granted. Whenever you get to play in a Super Bowl or a championship game, you have to win because you might not ever get it again. The window of opportunity is as small as a pea. Teams start to break up, players get old. You just have to seize the moment.

Going forward, we have to hold each other accountable and grow closer as a team. We have to love each other. We’ve got to develop better trust between the receivers and the QB. We need to lean on our coaches for knowledge and get every ounce that they have. If we can do that, we’ll get over the hump.

russell-wilson.jpg

Russell Wilson owns a 3-2 record as a starter against the 49ers, including the playoffs. (Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

Ten Things I Think I Think

1. I think among the 31 NFL quarterbacks who don’t throw me passes, Russell Wilson is the best. He’s got all the tools; he has the ability to keep the play alive, and he’s very accurate with a strong arm. He exemplifies what it takes to be a winning QB in the NFL. If you asked me to choose based on record and experience, I’d take Tom Brady or Peyton Manning—but in terms of right now, my pick is Wilson.

2. I think the only thing we can do for Aldon Smith is support him and have his back and be there for him when he needs to talk. We don’t live with him, and we don’t see him on a daily basis. He has to take control and focus on doing everything the right way. He has to want it. He has to take charge.

3. I think in 10 years my goal is to host my own show, start acting, and continue to build a business empire. I look at Michael Strahan’s career as a model. I think you get there by doing what you want to do. If you know the formula to be successful as a football player, you know the formula to be successful after football. You have to be relentless.

4. I think fans pay more attention to the contracts of coaches and players than we do. I have my own contract. Frank Gore has his own contract. You don’t have time to worry about other guys’ deals because you have a lot to worry about on your own.

5. I think I’m grateful to have been drafted in San Francisco. There’s nothing better than these fans, the atmosphere and the weather. You enjoy life in San Francisco when you see what you’re surrounded by. I couldn’t have been drafted in a better place.

6. I think Adrian Peterson is the best athlete in the NFL.

7. I think Frank Gore is the most consistent athlete in the NFL.

8. I think Michael Sam is paving the way for other guys. They’re going to look at that and say, “If he did it, we can do it.” It takes a lot of guts and heart to come out. You probably will see a lot of other NFL players come out soon.

9. I think I would be upset if I were a U.S. soccer athlete and heard from my head coach that we had little chance to win the World Cup. That wouldn’t be good in sports, or life in general. Whenever you’re competing in any kind of organization, you want to be optimistic and competitive to the point that you’re challenging yourself and you’re keeping that faith. There is that famous saying, “If you think you can’t, you’re right. If you think you can, you’re right.” Whatever you believe about yourself, it’s going to happen. We must remain positive to go out and excel. Competition is more about mindset than skill.

10. I think I was blessed to spend Father’s Day with my children. Fatherhood is a huge responsibility. My life is about making sure my son and daughter can survive and thrive when I’m gone.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
What an awesome read. I will be the first to admit this is not what expected from him. I always thought he was kind of selfish. But I was wrong. Dammit, I don't wanna like anybody from the whiners :sick:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Nice job by Vernon.
Especially the "10 this I think I know"

One thing I think I think I know.
I think the NFL should have a mandatory retirement plan.
The players should be putting away at least 10%. At the very least.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm a little more critical than you guys ,I find it egocentric,he writes decently but still needs an editor, some may give him the benefit of the doubt BK he's a football player,sorry not now ,he's a writer now but I give him a better grade than Bernie ,so there is that.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I believe he should hold out as long as it takes to get a contract that pays him way more money than any other TE or WR makes.

Don't give up Vern.... you can do it.... just keep holding out.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
1 thing I think I think. I think Vernon Davis is full of shit about the players not paying attention to other players contracts. How does he know he deserves a raise if he has no idea about what the market is?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
1 thing I think I think. I think Vernon Davis is full of crap about the players not paying attention to other players contracts. How does he know he deserves a raise if he has no idea about what the market is?

Yeah the logic is just undeniable, he's just trying to say that all his team mates are pulling for him to get "his", nice play by King to get some one who he'll outshine to do the stand in

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"In 2010 I signed a five-year, $37 million contract extension with $23 million guaranteed. It was the biggest contract for a tight end in league history. Four years later, and I’m playing at a higher level than I was then, which brings me to why I’m holding out. It’s all about getting paid what you deserve. It’s not that complicated. I want the 49ers to win the Super Bowl, and I want to be on the field this summer working toward that goal, but I have to worry about my future first."

Here's what I don't get. Never having had access to a million dollars, much less $23 million guaranteed, I don't understand how he's not already set for life. Taxes, living expenses, etc. takes a big chunk of that cash but how about hiring a financial adviser and a tax attorney to help you figure out how to save your money for the future?

It's hard to have any sympathy for millionaires who blow their money due to stupidity or reckless spending. Cry me a river Vernon. :cry:

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
"In 2010 I signed a five-year, $37 million contract extension with $23 million guaranteed. It was the biggest contract for a tight end in league history. Four years later, and I’m playing at a higher level than I was then, which brings me to why I’m holding out. It’s all about getting paid what you deserve. It’s not that complicated. I want the 49ers to win the Super Bowl, and I want to be on the field this summer working toward that goal, but I have to worry about my future first."

Here's what I don't get. Never having had access to a million dollars, much less $23 million guaranteed, I don't understand how he's not already set for life. Taxes, living expenses, etc. takes a big chunk of that cash but how about hiring a financial adviser and a tax attorney to help you figure out how to save your money for the future?

It's hard to have any sympathy for millionaires who blow their money due to stupidity or reckless spending. Cry me a river Vernon. :cry:
You make big money you spend big money, it's really not thAT complex. I think the average guy says that they could retire on $1mil because that's not what they make annually, if they did then things would be different.
A guy makin 20k looks at a guy makin 200k that went through the Enron bs and says he shoulda been stackin chips all along. It's all relative.
You pay 25-40% in taxes, 10-15% to an agent, 5-10% to union dues...it adds up quickly if you aren't savvy bout your dough.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You make big money you spend big money, it's really not thAT complex. I think the average guy says that they could retire on $1mil because that's not what they make annually, if they did then things would be different.
A guy makin 20k looks at a guy makin 200k that went through the Enron bs and says he shoulda been stackin chips all along. It's all relative.
You pay 25-40% in taxes, 10-15% to an agent, 5-10% to union dues...it adds up quickly if you aren't savvy bout your dough.

All of that payout is even more of a reason to be smart with the money. I understand why guys that never had much spend when they are rich. For many it is all psychological. Years of jealousy twist their thinking. But in the end it comes down to how smart a guy is. Give me a couple million and I will guarantee that I won't ever be poor again. I may not live like a rich man but I will have everything I need for life. Just living off the interest is a pretty good living.

It is strange how short sighted people can be. What many people consider poor in the U.S. isn't so bad when compared to what many other countries consider poor.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
NFL players are like regular folks, some can give the future some thought and save a little. Others are all about today and the here and now. Just don't whine to me if you run out of money and your body gives up at the same time. Most of these guys would play the game for 10% of what they get now...it is a game after all.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

I don't live beyond my means. Doesn't matter how much money comes down the pike. It's irresponsible to do otherwise. Now when I was in my 20's, like Vernon Davis and most NFL players are, it would have been a different story. So maybe it just comes down to experience and maturity.

But in the end it comes down to how smart a guy is. Give me a couple million and I will guarantee that I won't ever be poor again. I may not live like a rich man but I will have everything I need for life. Just living off the interest is a pretty good living. .

^ This ^

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
It's what THEY ALL say, it's athlete speak for "cuz I want more" and I don't really care if he does or any of them do, the league is as interested in maxing their revenue, players shouldn't IMO be held to a different standard.

To a guy working in a Nike factory someone working at McDonald's in Seattle who lobbied for that crazy ass minimum wage they got is greedy.

No one will turn down a raise , emotional charges like , you're greedy ,your a racist, your a homophobe that can't be honestly finished with "and I'm not" are IMO just so much bullshit ,and most charges like that can't be honestly finished that way ,we all have elements in our emotional makeup of the very things we decry in others.
Thor ................trying not to cast the first stone;) yes he did, he went 3rd person there:cool:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
vernon-davis-storyimage-960.jpg

Robert Beck/Sports Illustrated/The MMQB

It’s All About How You Market Yourself
There’s a difference between ‘me time’ and ‘we time’ in the NFL, and the goals of building strong brands often don’t align between players and teams. Just look at what’s happening with Vernon Davis and the 49ers
By Andrew Brandt

In my many years on both sides of the negotiating table in the business of football, I always referred to this time of year as “me time” in the NFL. With only a five-month season, more than half of the league’s calendar year is consumed with matters off the field. Once removed from the “we time” of the season, players often revert to a natural default setting of “doing what’s best for me and my family” rather than doing what’s best for the team. Often encouraged by a “whisper crew” of various advisors and sycophants, this is the time of year for various levels of player discontent to emerge, often financially related.

Players exhibit various degrees of “me time” from the relatively harmless skipping of voluntary team activities to higher levels of disobedience by missing mandatory minicamps or even training camp. Their goal, one that is usually unsuccessful, is to create enough of a level of angst from the team to draw a reaction. Most teams, however, simply do not engage.

One player who has been using his “me time” in an interesting way this offseason is 49ers tight end Vernon Davis. He has been visible in various roles, including this weekas a guest columnist for he MMQB, while in his self-described role as “CEO” of his own brand. Davis is admirably and keenly aware of a time in the not-so-distant future “when football inevitably dumps me” and he is taking steps to prepare for that inevitability.

Brand building
We are at an interesting time in self-expression, especially for professional athletes in team sports. Their individual brands may be more followed, though they may not always align with their team brands.

Davis is certainly a part of the 49ers brand—he says he “bleeds red and gold”—but that is not the brand he is promoting this offseason. He has chosen to skip the team’s offseason workouts, forfeiting a $200,000 workout bonus by refusing to accept team perceptions that “voluntary” actually means “mandatory.” Davis raised the stakes with the team’s (truly) mandatory minicamp this week by holding out. Despite earlier comments that his actions were not necessarily about his contract, it appears his refusal to attend is about, well, his contract. And as readers of this space know, it’s always about the money.

Juxtaposed against Davis’s absence were Colin Kaepernick’s recent comments upon signing his extension; he left money on the table so the 49ers could sign other players. Whether sincere or not, Kaepernick presented a team-first mentality (on a team friendly contract) while Davis exhibits a low rumble of NFL player civil disobedience.

Fantex
Davis has also put his brand up for sale to the public through Fantex, a “brand building company that purchases a minority interest in an athlete’s brand and works to increase the value of this brand.” Davis secured a $4 million “bonus” from Fantex for 10% of his future “brand income.”

In the first month of the offering, Fantex sold 421,000 shares of “Fantex Vernon Davis” at $10 per share, and recently announced its first dividend payment (70 cents per share) to be made on August 18, which, according to a Fantex press release, is “the first time Vernon Davis is anticipated to take the field in the 49ers’ inaugural pre-season game at the new Levi’s Stadium.” Two comments about that sentence: 1) there are a lot of brands mentioned there: the 49ers, Levi’s and, of course, Davis; and 2) the language that Davis “is anticipated” to play in the preseason is interesting and indicates the conversation about holding out was part of the Fantex discussions.

Many have asked for my thoughts about Fantex. Having spent nine years in Green Bay’s front office, I compare the investment to buying Packer stock that, at $250 per share, has no transferrable value or potential dividend (like Fantex, the Packers provide several disclaimers). While some question, or even mock the investment, countless Packer “owners” consider it their most prized possession.

Beyond prospectuses, disclaimers and legalese, Fantex is selling emotion to “fan investors” who find it cool and fun if not cautious and prudent.

Vernon’s Vault
While the Fantex transaction is questionable for shareholders, it is prudent for Davis, who has received his third “bonus” in his career—two from the 49ers and one from Fantex.

After getting a lucrative rookie contract as the sixth pick in the 2006 draft in the old rookie compensation system, Davis received his “big contract” in 2010—a six-year deal worth $37 million, with $23 million guaranteed. That contract now has reached its later years, with 1) the guarantees having expired and 2) Davis now in his 30s.

Davis will likely receive another contract in his career, but it is hard to forecast continued top-tier earnings. The 49ers are as aggressive as any team in the NFL in amassing draft picks and developing a pipeline of young ascending players to take on future starting roles. It would be naïve to think that, despite his talent, the team is not preparing for Davis’ eventual ouster. And although publicly supportive, the 49ers’ management may be privately shaking their heads at Davis’s “brand” not exactly running on a parallel track with the 49ers’ brand.

Meanwhile, whether knowing this or not, Davis has made a constructive hedge against the possibility of reduced football earnings. Fantex presented a “bonus” that, while it is less than players in their prime receive on second contracts, it is still more than what most players receive on third contracts (if there even is a third one).

With a $40 million valuation on future earnings, Davis had to make that deal. There will be income opportunities for Davis outside of football, but those are speculative without quarterback-level brand recognition, even with his admirable brand building this offseason. Davis and his representatives know this, thus the hedge with Fantex.

In the NFL labor equation, the leverage always shifts to the team following the expiration of a player’s short-term guarantees. It happens to even the best players, including the talented Davis, who is now taking steps to elicit a financial response from the 49ers—a response that I do not see coming.

The business of football always wins. There is no stronger brand out there.

Athos

Legend
lol.

He's a funny kind of a tool. I hope he holds out long into the season.

I mean, he's no Jimmy Graham or Gronk and shouldn't be paid anywhere near what they make.