MMQB: Top 10 Wide Receivers in Football

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Click the link below and scroll down to listen to podcast.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/07/10/nfl-best-wide-receivers-antonio-brown-julio-jones-odell-beckham

The Top 10 Wide Receivers in Football
Sorting out who’s the best of the Big Three: Antonio, Julio and OBJ. Plus, Larry Fitzgerald’s incredible second act, why we’ll learn a whole lot about Dez Bryant in 2017 and much more
By Andy Benot and Gary Gramling

On this episode of the 10 Things Podcast, Andy and I discuss the very, very good receivers, 10 of them specifically, plus a few more that made our others receiving votes. As is the case on all these shows: come for the rankings, stay for Andy’s mind-blowing insights.

Number 10—3:26 - T. Y. Hilton(Colts)

Number 9—8:38 - Larry Fitzgerald(Cardinals)

Number 8—13:37 - Alshon Jeffery(Eagles)

Number 7—18:57 - Jordy Nelson(Packers)

Number 6—20:59 - Dez Bryant(Cowboys)

Number 5—24:55 - Mike Evans(Bucs)

Number 4—28:24 - A.J. Green(Bengals)

Number 3—33:43 - Odell Beckham Jr.(Giants)

Number 2—40:40 - Antonio Brown(Steelers)

Number 1—44:51 - Julio Jones(Falcons)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Oh yeah....as I listen to Lance...you guys can look forward....
http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000819083

NFL scouts are always looking to the CFB ranks to find next-level talent. While we won't speculate about where these potential future NFL stars will go in the draft one day, it's not too soon to take a peek at their game tape and start to stack them as the top players to watch.

Of course, there is still plenty of work to be done in evaluating each player during and after this season. Of the WRs I've studied, here are the top 10 to watch.

• 10-michael-gallup-colorado-state_pg_600.jpg

Alex Gallardo/Associated Press

10. Michael Gallup, Colorado State
    Gallup's a bounding athlete with light feet. He finds ways to get open and has a good feel for creating late space to make the catch. Has an exceptional spin move that he unleashes on would-be tacklers and his ability to stack yardage after the catch is appealing. He appears to be a step counter in his routes, though, and needs to sharpen his breaks.

• 9-christian-kirk-texas-m_pg_600.jpg

Aaron M. Sprecher/Associated Pre

9. Christian Kirk, Texas A&M
    I really like Kirk and the way he competes. His sense of urgency is almost always higher than the man across from him and he has a deft feel for separation as the route progresses. I'm not sure how fast he is after watching the tape. At times I feel like I see it, but at other times I'm not sure he will scare defenders off the line of scrimmage at the next level. When the ball is in his hands, he's a talented runner and is almost a lock to pick up some extra yards after the catch. Kirk will be a slot-only target in the pros, which could limit his value for some teams.

• 8-jester-weah-pittsburgh_pg_600.jpg

Jared Wickerham/Associated Press

8. Jester Weah, Pittsburgh
    Weah has a big, overpowering frame that he uses as a tool to box out defenders and keep them away from the football. Weah was a sprinter in high school and has impressive build-up speed for a receiver his size (6-foot-3, 210 pounds, per school measurements). He saw a whopping 13 of his 36 catches go for 25-plus yards and he averaged a touchdown for every 3.6 catches last season. Weah has experience in a pro-style passing attack and is a willing blocker in the running game. Weah's biggest concern could be finding a quick release against press corners.

• 7-james-washington-oklahoma-state_pg_600.jpg

Sue Ogrocki/Associated Press

7. James Washington, Oklahoma State
    Washington has been one of the most consistent vertical talents in college football over the last three seasons with a career average of 19.2 yards per catch and 26 career touchdown receptions. He's a long strider who can rip into cornerback cushions and climb on top of them quickly. Washington is a sensational ball tracker who is able to go up and come down with the deep ball with the best of them in college football. He also flashes runaway speed after the catch and can take a slant the distance if a safety makes a mistake. Washington tends to fight some underneath throws as a pass-catcher and will need additional work with the route tree once he gets to the league.

• 6-d-j-chark-lsu_pg_600.jpg

Aaron M. Sprecher/Associated Pre

6. D.J. Chark, LSU
    One of the fastest players on the team and has the ability to yank the top off the defense with his vertical speed. Able to run away from defenders without even trying and 8 of his 26 catches went for 25-plus yards last season. Chark is very talented at finding and tracking the ball and then finishing difficult catches down the field. He also showed a willingness to work the middle of the field and take huge hits (see Chark vs. Justin Evans from Texas A&M). He's a little spindly and has to prove he can hold up against stronger cornerbacks. He also needs to run his routes with the same urgency all the time.

• 5-dante-pettis-washington_pg_600.jpg

Ted S. Warren/Associated Press

5. Dante Pettis, Washington
    Pettis was fun to watch on tape because his footwork and route running are so much better than most other receivers. Pettis has good initial-release explosion upfield. He runs his routes with good balance and at sharp angles. He can uncover on all three levels with rare short-area foot quickness for a receiver with his stride length. Pettis catches everything and has outstanding concentration in traffic. His five punt return touchdowns in three years will give his draft stock a boost. Pettis needs to add more muscle to his frame to help him play through contact.

• 4-deon-cain-clemson_pg_600.jpg

Chris O'Meara/Associated Press

4. Deon Cain, Clemson
    A classic Clemson wide receiver with a good combination of size and speed. Cain will work the middle of the field with courage and refuses to give in to physical cornerbacks in press coverage or when they are mauling him down the field. Cain has a big second gear for vertical separation once he gets past a cornerback's edge. He is a physical presence when ball is in the air, and 90 percent of his catches went for first downs last season. Cain uses a powerful, aggressive stiff-arm to punish tacklers after the catch and he refuses to give defensive backs a free ride before the catch, or after. Cain needs to catch the ball with consistent focus this season.

• 3-antonio-callaway-florida_pg_600.jpg

John Raoux/Associated Press

3. Antonio Callaway, Florida
    Callaway's feet are light and electric. He shows off explosion potential early in his routes. He makes man coverage a nightmare when he's allowed to operate in space. He can get away from press coverage with ease on inside or outside releases and does a good job of playing to his top speed throughout his routes. Has extended catch radius with ability to make challenging grabs high, low or behind him. His 17 punt returns for 15-plus yards over the last two seasons simply adds to his overall value. There are questions surrounding his maturity and decision-making off the field and he needs to become more productive as a red-zone threat.

• 2-calvin-ridley-alabama_pg_600.jpg

Brynn Anderson/Associated Press

2. Calvin Ridley, Alabama
    Ridley was No. 1 on my list last year, but he moves down a spot this season. Ridley still has the long speed of a human torch who is just waiting to embarrass his defender, but he needs to improve his hand fighting and body positioning this season to help him win more 50-50 balls. Ridley's long speed is exceptional, and so his his ability to separate on short and intermediate routes. His feet are quick and quiet in setting up his breaks. He has an outstanding feel for how to create lean in his defender before breaking his route off in the opposite direction. He still has room for improvement with his decisiveness as a runner after the catch. Look for big things from Ridley in 2017 with a year of seasoning under the belt of Alabama QB Jalen Hurts.

• 1-courtland-sutton-smu_pg_600.jpg

Brandon Wade/Associated Press

1. Courtland Sutton, SMU
    SMU wide receiver Courtland Sutton (16) is unable to catch a pass as South Florida defensive back Jalen Spencer (30) defends during the second half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016, in Dallas. South Florida won 35-27. (AP Photo/Brandon Wade)
Now, that's a funny look at Sutton....LOL

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This list has the right guys, But I don't agree with the order, So I fixed it!(y);):D

Number 10 - T. Y. Hilton(Colts)

Number 9 - Alshon Jeffery(Eagles)

Number 8 - Larry Fitzgerald(Cardinals)

Number 7 - Jordy Nelson(Packers)

Number 6 - Dez Bryant(Cowboys)

Number 5 - Odell Beckham Jr.(Giants

Number 4 - A.J. Green(Bengals)

Number 3 - Mike Evans(Bucs)

Number 2 - Antonio Brown(Steelers)

Number 1 - Julio Jones(Falcons)

Of course It will have a BUNCH of Rams WR's next year!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This list has the right guys, But I don't agree with the order, So I fixed it!(y);):D
Nice....

Not on stats but on game....

Champs list
Number 10 - Terrell Pryor(Skins)

Number 9 - Alshon Jeffery(Eagles)

Number 8 - Martavious Bryant(Steelers)

Number 7 - Jordy Nelson(Packers)

Number 6 -Golden Taint(Lions)

Number 5 - Mike Evans(Bucs)

Number 4 - A.J. Green(Bengals)

Number 3 - Odell Beckham Jr.(Giants)

Number 2 - Antonio Brown(Steelers)